PDA

View Full Version : Observations

thf24
09-24-2018, 09:12 AM
These points may have been discussed in some form in other threads; just a few thoughts I wanted to lay out.

1. Fitz is a good passer. You don't have a game like he did against ULL, making multiple NFL throws right on the money and having an overall efficient day, getting lucky as anything less than a good passer. His problem is that he's an inconsistent passer on a game to game basis. This shouldn't be a huge surprise given that he's effectively somewhere between a high school senior and a college freshman in terms of years of passing experience compared to many other 5th year senior QB's. He's going to have some great passing games for us this year and look like an early round draft pick, and he's also going to have some games like KSU, with no rhyme or reason as to when or against who. I understand this point is largely semantical since this is his last year and he is what he is for us this season. But our passing game is far from a lost cause, and Fitz should continue to be the guy because Key, for the moment, is largely in the same spot without the same raw talent throwing the ball. Also our WR's, while improved, are still dropping too many.

2. We were extremely naive to believe major growing pains wouldn't rear their head at some point under a first year head coach at this level in his first stint in the SEC in any capacity. Just have to hope this game is used as quick learning experience and the disturbing lack of preparedness and discipline isn't a trend that's going to continue. Way too early to make any judgements.

3. Continuing on #2, things like laid back attitude, mild demeanor, hugging after targeting penalty, etc., don't bother me taken individually. As a whole, I'm starting to wonder if they represent a culture that works naturally at places like Fordham and Penn State, but not so well in the deep south at a blue collar SEC program. Maybe nothing to that, and even if so, Moorhead is obviously a smart guy and I'm optimistic that he'll either make it work after the necessary adjustment period, or if necessary, reach the conclusion that that style won't work here and make adjustments of his own.

4. UK is actually a little improved this year. Different attitude and more physical. Still not great and not a team we should have lost to if we came in prepared and disciplined, but for the moment they seem to be finally figuring things out up there.

msstate7
09-24-2018, 09:17 AM
Fitz's passing reminds of Sean newcomb for the braves. Both have unbelievable arms and talent. Both can look unbelievable one moment and a total mess the next.

archdawg
09-24-2018, 09:24 AM
These points may have been discussed in some form in other threads; just a few thoughts I wanted to lay out.

1. Fitz is a good passer. You don't have a game like he did against ULL, making multiple NFL throws right on the money and having an overall efficient day, getting lucky as anything less than a good passer. His problem is that he's an inconsistent passer on a game to game basis. This shouldn't be a huge surprise given that he's effectively somewhere between a high school senior and a college freshman in terms of years of passing experience compared to many other 5th year senior QB's. He's going to have some great passing games for us this year and look like an early round draft pick, and he's also going to have some games like KSU, with no rhyme or reason as to when or against who. I understand this point is largely semantical since this is his last year and he is what he is for us this season. But our passing game is far from a lost cause, and Fitz should continue to be the guy because Key, for the moment, is largely in the same spot without the same raw talent throwing the ball. Also our WR?s, while improved, are still dropping too many.

2. We were extremely naive to believe major growing pains wouldn?t rear there head at some point under a first year head coach at this level in his first stint in the SEC in any capacity. Just have to hope this game is used as quick learning experience and the disturbing lack of preparedness and discipline isn?t a trend that?s going to continue. Way too early to make any judgements.

3. Continuing on #2, things like laid back attitude, mild demeanor, hugging after targeting penalty, etc., don?t bother me taken individually. As a whole, I?m starting to wonder if they represent a culture that works naturally at places like Fordham and Penn State, but not so well in the deep south at a blue collar SEC program. Maybe nothing to that, and even if so, Moorhead is obviously a smart guy and I?m optimistic that he?ll either make it work after the necessary adjustment period, or if necessary, reach the conclusion that that style won?t work here and make adjustments of his own.

4. UK is actually a little improved this year. Different attitude and more physical. Still not great and not a team we should have lost to if we came in prepared and disciplined, but for the moment they seem to be finally figuring things out up there.

Great post. I completely agree. No matter how much talent you have, a completely new coaching staff and program change are going to drop a wrench in things. The next few weeks will show us alot.

hacker
09-24-2018, 09:25 AM
I agree with all points

chef dixon
09-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Sorry but Fitz is not a good passer whatsoever.

SaintDawg
09-24-2018, 11:16 AM
Good post. Rep given. Wouldnt say Fitz is a good passer though. More along the lines of mediocre. Amazing runner. Meh as a passer.

thf24
09-24-2018, 11:22 AM
Good post. Rep given. Wouldnt say Fitz is a good passer though. More along the lines of mediocre. Amazing runner. Meh as a passer.

From an overall effectiveness standpoint considering together both his good and bad games, I agree that mediocre is the right label. It's just hard for me to say that the guy who showed up in the ULL game is anything less than good at throwing the football.

NCDawg
09-24-2018, 11:42 AM
Sorry but Fitz is not a good passer whatsoever.

It would be nice to see what type of passer he could be if he had a little more time to pass. He had to avoid no. 41, roll out of the pocket, and throw on the run last week. He threw a perfect pass to Guidry on a crucial 3rd down play which Guidry dropped.

chef dixon
09-24-2018, 02:12 PM
It would be nice to see what type of passer he could be if he had a little more time to pass. He had to avoid no. 41, roll out of the pocket, and throw on the run last week. He threw a perfect pass to Guidry on a crucial 3rd down play which Guidry dropped.

What more evidence do you need than 3 years of starts and 5 years in the program? Please tell me a game where our running game was lacking and he made a big throw to make us competitive. I?ll wait.

There are college QBs all over the country, at various levels, making throws he missed badly Saturday night.

NCDawg
09-24-2018, 04:28 PM
What more evidence do you need than 3 years of starts and 5 years in the program? Please tell me a game where our running game was lacking and he made a big throw to make us competitive. I?ll wait.

There are college QBs all over the country, at various levels, making throws he missed badly Saturday night.

Pretty good pass against Arkansas last year to win the game.

Matty Dispatch
09-24-2018, 06:27 PM

Yeah, there are a lot of college QBs who can throw better than Fitz. But possibly none that can run like he can. He rarely gets sacked because of his mobility and strength and he's about to become the SEC's leader in QB rushing yards. You have to account for all his offensive production.

And he's 2 TD away from throwing the 2nd most career TD passes in MSU history. He's one of the best passing QBs we've ever had, and the best running QB. He was 3rd in the SEC in total offense in 2016 and 2017. Which is all pretty incredible considering that when he got to State we didn't think much about him - Elijah Staley was supposed to be the man. Then Nick Tiano. But Fitz was so good those two had to transfer because they knew they wouldn't see the field.

State has been in the top half of the SEC in scoring offense and total offense throughout his time as QB1. Pre-Dak, MSU was never in the top half under Mullen and who knows how far back you'd have to go. He's not the best QB in college football, but he's good enough to get the job done and to put us in a position to win big games. That's all you can really ask for.

Todd4State
09-24-2018, 06:49 PM

1. Fitz is a good passer. You don't have a game like he did against ULL, making multiple NFL throws right on the money and having an overall efficient day, getting lucky as anything less than a good passer. His problem is that he's an inconsistent passer on a game to game basis. This shouldn't be a huge surprise given that he's effectively somewhere between a high school senior and a college freshman in terms of years of passing experience compared to many other 5th year senior QB's. He's going to have some great passing games for us this year and look like an early round draft pick, and he's also going to have some games like KSU, with no rhyme or reason as to when or against who. I understand this point is largely semantical since this is his last year and he is what he is for us this season. But our passing game is far from a lost cause, and Fitz should continue to be the guy because Key, for the moment, is largely in the same spot without the same raw talent throwing the ball. Also our WR's, while improved, are still dropping too many.

2. We were extremely naive to believe major growing pains wouldn't rear their head at some point under a first year head coach at this level in his first stint in the SEC in any capacity. Just have to hope this game is used as quick learning experience and the disturbing lack of preparedness and discipline isn't a trend that's going to continue. Way too early to make any judgements.

3. Continuing on #2, things like laid back attitude, mild demeanor, hugging after targeting penalty, etc., don't bother me taken individually. As a whole, I'm starting to wonder if they represent a culture that works naturally at places like Fordham and Penn State, but not so well in the deep south at a blue collar SEC program. Maybe nothing to that, and even if so, Moorhead is obviously a smart guy and I'm optimistic that he'll either make it work after the necessary adjustment period, or if necessary, reach the conclusion that that style won't work here and make adjustments of his own.

1. Agree. He just needs to be more consistent. I'm disappointed in him getting suspended and based on how he looks he didn't do enough in the offseason to take it to the next level. It is what it is.

2. I'm hoping that the 4-5 game learning curve is true. I don't think that had much to do with the o-line's terrible performance against UK.

3. And as I said- people complained about Dan cussing and yelling too much. And now with Joe he doesn't yell enough.

4. Agree.

TimberBeast
09-25-2018, 03:58 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of college QBs who can throw better than Fitz. But possibly none that can run like he can. He rarely gets sacked because of his mobility and strength and he's about to become the SEC's leader in QB rushing yards. You have to account for all his offensive production.

And he's 2 TD away from throwing the 2nd most career TD passes in MSU history. He's one of the best passing QBs we've ever had, and the best running QB. He was 3rd in the SEC in total offense in 2016 and 2017. Which is all pretty incredible considering that when he got to State we didn't think much about him - Elijah Staley was supposed to be the man. Then Nick Tiano. But Fitz was so good those two had to transfer because they knew they wouldn't see the field.

State has been in the top half of the SEC in scoring offense and total offense throughout his time as QB1. Pre-Dak, MSU was never in the top half under Mullen and who knows how far back you'd have to go. He's not the best QB in college football, but he's good enough to get the job done and to put us in a position to win big games. That's all you can really ask for.

This exactly.

Jarius
09-25-2018, 04:19 PM

There is not a single qb in the country that would have played well facing the pressure he faced all night Saturday. What in the hell do you watch when the game is on? You obviously are not watching the same game I am. You know, the one where 41 ran free at him literally all night. Or the one where Mixon and Guidry dropped multiple balls. Or the one where we were playing in a hurricane and trying To throw it all night.

BB30
09-25-2018, 04:25 PM
There is not a single qb in the country that would have played well facing the pressure he faced all night Saturday? What in the hell do you watch when the game is on? You obviously are not watching the same game I am. You know, the one where 41 ran free at him literally all night. Or the one where Mixon and Guidry dropped multiple balls. Or the one where we were playing in a hurricane and trying To throw it all night.

On top of that 14 of his passes came in clear passing situations against KY. They just pinned their ears back. 7 more came at the end of the half, after we were down 21-7 and after we were down 28-7.

Leaves 11 passes that came in manageable situations and he was 8/11. Not ready to say he hasn't improved at all in the passing dept. He also had several dropped balls.