PDA

View Full Version : JoMo's ''system''

BuckyIsAB****
09-23-2018, 08:41 PM
If his offense really requires the QB to take a play look at the defense and decide whether he has to run, throw it, or keep it entirely up to him then it is one we will never run well vs any good teams this year. Fitz's should be 1 read, if he does this you do that, if he does that you do this. I'd be willing to bet its not much more than that anyway. We may read different players like a safety instead of a backside backer for example but Moorhead has got to realize Fitzgerald is not a rhodes scholar, Fitzgerald is a big talented tough strong cat that is better when he is playing and not thinking. Most SEC players are that way.

Never understood why some coaches and fans want their offense to be fancy and complicated. If it works, it works. Say what you want about Longo and some other offenses but they know what they want to do and how to do it. Every now and then they run up on a billy badass (usually alabama) and it doesnt matter what you do if they are just better than you.

UK isnt better than us. Moorhead tried to outsmart them and he got his dick put in the dirt. Its a credit to our defense that we had a chance at all in the 2nd half.

BuckyIsAB****
09-23-2018, 08:43 PM
RPO's at this level dont need to be some revolutionary BS, you can run whatever you want by reading 1 second level player it doesnt have to be over complicated.

You might can bring analytics and numbers into baseball or basketball, but if your bring those numbers into a SEC football game they are going to get wadded up and thrown back in your face.

I hope we havent hired a ''smart guy''

Jack Lambert
09-23-2018, 08:45 PM
They have changed the play clock rule and it is catching a lot of teams. I record and watch a lot of football and there is a lot of delay of games called this season.

https://cfo.arbitersports.com/Groups/104777/Library/files/Play_clock_changes.pdf

I thought there was a ref controlling the game clock, I guess I was wrong and I know for a fact the clock did not stop last night a couple of times when our guys ran out of bounds.

BuckyIsAB****
09-23-2018, 08:46 PM
They have changed the play clock rule and it is catching a lot of teams.

https://cfo.arbitersports.com/Groups/104777/Library/files/Play_clock_changes.pdf

That has nothing to do with changing the play 10 times every other snap because you think you have to dial something up and outsmart the other guys every single snap.

Id like to see Moorhead get out there and stay in his stance for 20-23 seconds every time, get 2 or 3 different assignments with 60 thousand people screaming and block someone

Todd4State
09-23-2018, 08:46 PM
Thing is- Joe wants to do a lot of the same things that Ole Miss is doing with the deep ball. And based on DK Metcalf- I don't think their players are any more intelligent than ours.

BuckyIsAB****
09-23-2018, 08:48 PM
Thing is- Joe wants to do a lot of the same things that Ole Miss is doing with the deep ball. And based on DK Metcalf- I don't think their players are any more intelligent than ours.

And that is not who we are and we are never going to be. So stop trying. Nothing wrong with taking more shots down the field. Esp to Guidry or our TEs (Our bigger guys) but honestly how many more deep shots did we take the other night?? And how many worked?? If it aint gonna work it aint gonna work. All we have to do is be able to throw it good enough, we dont have to be Texas Tech to beat anyone. We have to be MSU. Blue collar tough and no quit in our bones.

Jack Lambert
09-23-2018, 08:55 PM
That has nothing to do with changing the play 10 times every other snap because you think you have to dial something up and outsmart the other guys every single snap.

Id like to see Moorhead get out there and stay in his stance for 20-23 seconds every time, get 2 or 3 different assignments with 60 thousand people screaming and block someone

I am not defending the changing of plays but the clock starts when the clock operator wants to start it not when the refs tells them to start. That gives home field advantage a whole new meaning. Watch the game and watch how the clock is going when we are on offense. Also twice the play clock was not set correctly.

Nothing will be done about it but I am sure our coaching staff will see it and should say something.

BuckyIsAB****
09-23-2018, 08:57 PM
I am not defending the changing of plays but the clock starts when the clock operator wants to start it not when the refs tells them to start. That gives home field advantage a whole new meaning. Watch the game and watch how the clock is going when we are on offense. Also twice the play clock was not set correctly.

Other teams won on the road. Its not just us.

Todd4State
09-23-2018, 09:01 PM
And that is not who we are and we are never going to be. So stop trying. Nothing wrong with taking more shots down the field. Esp to Guidry or our TEs (Our bigger guys) but honestly how many more deep shots did we take the other night?? And how many worked?? If it aint gonna work it aint gonna work. All we have to do is be able to throw it good enough, we dont have to be Texas Tech to beat anyone. We have to be MSU. Blue collar tough and no quit in our bones.

But here's the elephant in the room. Football is becoming more and more about passing at all levels. At what point do you transition to that because most coaches out there throw the ball more than what a lot of Mississippi coaches like to? And it goes back to recruiting- if we're not showing that we are willing to throw the ball, how do we attract WR's, QB's, and etc.? We're not trying to be Texas Tech. We're trying to be Penn State. We can still be blue collar MSU and throw the ball 50% of the time. Even Alabama is throwing the ball more and more.

BuckyIsAB****
09-23-2018, 09:49 PM
But here's the elephant in the room. Football is becoming more and more about passing at all levels. At what point do you transition to that because most coaches out there throw the ball more than what a lot of Mississippi coaches like to? And it goes back to recruiting- if we're not showing that we are willing to throw the ball, how do we attract WR's, QB's, and etc.? We're not trying to be Texas Tech. We're trying to be Penn State. We can still be blue collar MSU and throw the ball 50% of the time. Even Alabama is throwing the ball more and more.

If you think its becoming more about passing then you dont watch or coach it. Football is about and always has been about who can run the ball and who can stop it. MS high school football is about it. Every football game has come down to it. No air raid team has ever won a title in CFB or the NFL. Yes the spread is becoming more popular and teams are throwing it more than ever but if you cant run it and if you cant stop people from running it you aint gonna win no ring. Plain and simple. We run a system where we pass it a lot but we still have the #1 ranked rusher in 6A football this year.

Trust me

BuckyIsAB****
09-23-2018, 09:55 PM
In most spread offenses now every single play can be a RPO. Moorhead may want you think what he does is complicated but its probably not. Football is a numbers game.

If you line up trips for example and they dont have enough to stop quick game outside then all the QB has to do is snap it and throw it out there on a key or bubble screen. The OL and RBs all still think its inside zone. The WRs know they run key screen on this play and they run it. Its not nearly as complicated as many think it is. If you get a run box you can run inside zone, and with Fitz's legs as a weapon he just reads BS DE and can pull it if he plays the RB. Fitz is capable of making this type of decision if Moorhead will make it that simple for him.

If Moorhead has a system that a 5th year senior returning record setting QB cant understand then he damn sure better change it

Todd4State
09-23-2018, 10:50 PM
If you think its becoming more about passing then you dont watch or coach it. Football is about and always has been about who can run the ball and who can stop it. MS high school football is about it. Every football game has come down to it. No air raid team has ever won a title in CFB or the NFL. Yes the spread is becoming more popular and teams are throwing it more than ever but if you cant run it and if you cant stop people from running it you aint gonna win no ring. Plain and simple. We run a system where we pass it a lot but we still have the #1 ranked rusher in 6A football this year.

Trust me

This is all I was saying. I want us to ideally be balanced. We should be much better than 50% as far as our completion percentage goes in this day and age no matter what our philosophy is. I'm not suggesting that we go full Air Raid- but we need to recruit WR's better than we have and our RTDB philosophy is being used against us in recruiting (Dannis Jackson and Mingo) making it more difficult for us to transition to what our coaches want to do.

yjnkdawg
09-23-2018, 11:01 PM

Longo's offensive scheme doesn't involve the quarterback reading the defense. It's just basically looking to see what receiver is open or throw up a 50/50 ball. I agree on the intelligent comment.

StateDawg44
09-24-2018, 08:25 AM
They have changed the play clock rule and it is catching a lot of teams. I record and watch a lot of football and there is a lot of delay of games called this season.

I thought there was a ref controlling the game clock, I guess I was wrong and I know for a fact the clock did not stop last night a couple of times when our guys ran out of bounds.

I've noticed this happening a lot. Not so much when it is within minutes of the end of half or end of game. But if there is still 7 or a minutes left in the quarter and player runs out of bounds. The clock doesn't always stop.

msstate7
09-24-2018, 08:32 AM
Longo's offensive scheme doesn't involve the quarterback reading the defense. It's just basically looking to see what receiver is open or throw up a 50/50 ball. I agree on the intelligent comment.

In other words, longo uses his guys in a way that maximizes their talents... their WRs can best non-elite corners and 5-0 can throw the deep ball. Maybe Moorhead should maximize our talent... 3 headed rushing monster in aeris, fitz, and hill with a good run blocking oline

MarketingBully
09-24-2018, 08:42 AM
What Steve stated on OOB this morning is why Fitz really sucks in JoMo’s system. The defense gave Fitz the look so instead of us running the football Fitz checked into passing plays at the line. JoMo is going to need to talk to Fitz and tell him regardless of what the defense shows him stay in our running plays. JoMo’s offense is awesome for QBs because it gives them complete autonomy to make calls based on what they are seeing. That’s why I think Garret Shrader has a chance to start for us next year. He’s the coveted QB that JoMo has wanted since he has been at Penn State. Shrader is a true dual threat that could run JoMo’s offense to perfection.

Doggie_Style
09-24-2018, 08:48 AM
I think Garret Shrader has a chance to start for us next year. He’s the coveted QB that JoMo has wanted since he has been at Penn State. Shrader is a true dual threat that could run JoMo’s offense to perfection.

Good lord...

MarketingBully
09-24-2018, 08:56 AM
Good lord...

You can good lord me all you want but next year Shrader will be the best QB on our roster that can run JoMos system. He’s been recruiting him since he was at Penn State. The kid is really really good.

msstate7
09-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Good lord...

I don't think it's a stretch at all if the rumors of key not being able to pick up offense are true.

MarketingBully
09-24-2018, 09:06 AM
I don't think it's a stretch at all if the rumors of key not being able to pick up offense are true.

Shrader is really really good. He was knicked up this summer and they were still impressed with his arm. He’s a true dual threat and can beat you with his arm and legs.

Doggie_Style
09-24-2018, 09:20 AM
Shrader is really really good. He was knicked up this summer and they were still impressed with his arm. He’s a true dual threat and can beat you with his arm and legs.

He may very well be good, I hope so but I would also hope we have the luxury to red-shirt him one year before we throw him into SEC play. He's played his HS football in a small school league and will need time to adjust to the speed and physicality of SEC football.

ShotgunDawg
09-24-2018, 09:32 AM
We need to start running the RRPO offense

Call two running plays & a pass play. Make sure the defense is taking away both running plays before we try to pass

codeDawg
09-24-2018, 10:06 AM
?The system? didn?t matter Saturday. Everybody all pissed off that we didn?t establish the run doesn?t understand why you try to do that. It isn?t to just kick someone?s ass. It?s to open up the passing game and keep the defense from taking any one thing away from you. The run was ?established? as they were stacking the box. The correct reads were passes, but the OL played like shit and Fitz wasn?t given time to make reads and throw.

Could we have adjusted better and put more help at LT or thrown more bubble screens and quick slant patterns, sure. At the end of they day though, the guys up front got their asses kicked and gave away momentum with dumb penalties. Plain and simple.

Pit Bull
09-24-2018, 11:16 AM
Modern Day Offensive Philosophy of Mississippi State.....(Help me out here....can't quite remember all of them)

Bob Tyler............Veer (I think....he did use a halfback and a fullback)

Emory Bellard......Wishbone

Rockey Felker.......Pro Set/Some Option

Jackie Sherrill.......???

Sylvester Croom....West Coast

Dan Mullen......…...Spread

Joe Moorhead........RPO

Political Hack
09-24-2018, 11:55 AM
JoMo's offense isn't that complicated. It's a simple pre-snap alignment read for the most part.

They gave up the long ball and we couldn't hit it. They dared us to pass and we couldn't protect, couldn't drive the ball without committing penalties, and couldn't throw and catch when we did have time or weren't shooting our selves in the foot. Our team never got off the bus.

Kentucky isn't that good. We lost that game, they didn't win it.

yjnkdawg
09-24-2018, 04:52 PM
You can good lord me all you want but next year Shrader will be the best QB on our roster that can run JoMos system. He?s been recruiting him since he was at Penn State. The kid is really really good.

Mayden is more suited for a JoeMo offense than a DM one. He should be able to run his offensive scheme.

yjnkdawg
09-24-2018, 04:55 PM
What Steve stated on OOB this morning is why Fitz really sucks in JoMo?s system. The defense gave Fitz the look so instead of us running the football Fitz checked into passing plays at the line. JoMo is going to need to talk to Fitz and tell him regardless of what the defense shows him stay in our running plays. JoMo?s offense is awesome for QBs because it gives them complete autonomy to make calls based on what they are seeing. That?s why I think Garret Shrader has a chance to start for us next year. He?s the coveted QB that JoMo has wanted since he has been at Penn State. Shrader is a true dual threat that could run JoMo?s offense to perfection.

Stoops said that KY ran a simple defensive scheme, but they were good at disguising what they were going to do.

Political Hack
09-24-2018, 05:05 PM
Stoops said that KY ran a simple defensive scheme, but they were good at disguising what they were going to do.

Yep. Tricked us into the wrong read. This will be a big learning week for our QBs. We'll see how well they adjust because I'd expect Florida to do a lot of the same things to us. Personally, I'd be crossing the safeties and rolling the coverages a lot against JoMo. I'm sure they've done it in the Big Ten, but they definitely don't have the speed across the board the SEc does. Which means they can disguise coverages better and get to their responsibilities more quickly.

Pit Bull
09-25-2018, 10:55 PM
Mayden is more suited for a JoeMo offense than a DM one. He should be able to run his offensive scheme.

Mayden will be a beast in the RPO. Dude runs like Dak except he looks faster and has a super touch on his finesse passes, and a canon shot on the hard throws. Love his film, and Keyteon better up his passing game with Mayden pushing behind him.