PDA

View Full Version : Keytaon Thompson

KOdawg1
09-23-2018, 08:18 AM
This will be unpopular but it's obvious that Key is our best QB. Nick is a WR playing QB and it looks like it. The guy just can't throw. Those saying he was an NFL draft pick are kidding themselves. Key, while inaccurate with his opportunities this year, throws a more catchable ball with more touch than Fitz's. His running is not much of a drop-off from nick. He also is more mentally tough.

I love Nick but just isn't an SEC QB.

Quaoarsking
09-23-2018, 08:23 AM
Not unpopular. Many people agreed with this same point last night:
https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?69647-Is-it-time-for-the-Keytaon-Era-to-begin

Playing Keytaon this year would be a good investment for the future. We're very unlikely to make a NY6 bowl now, so there's not a lot of downside.

KOdawg1
09-23-2018, 08:26 AM
https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?69647-Is-it-time-for-the-Keytaon-Era-to-begin

Playing Keytaon this year would be a good investment for the future. We're very unlikely to make a NY6 bowl now, so there's not a lot of downside.
Sorry, didn't see that. There have been a ton of threads

But yes, I'd let Key start getting snaps and if he starts to out perform Nick, make him the starter

Captain Falcon
09-23-2018, 08:26 AM
Did you forget KT completing like 40% of his passes against Stephen F. Austin? And his under 50% career completion percentage?

The backup QB is always more popular than the starter unless the starter is named Dak Prescott. Fitz is flawed, but he’s still our best option at the moment. Thompson is not a better passer at this stage, and I have no clue why some seem to think that.

KOdawg1
09-23-2018, 08:32 AM
Did you forget KT completing like 40% of his passes against Stephen F. Austin? And his under 50% career completion percentage?

The backup QB is always more popular than the starter unless the starter is named Dak Prescott. Fitz is flawed, but he’s still our best option at the moment. Thompson is not a better passer at this stage, and I have no clue why some seem to think that.
Nope I did not forget. But Fitz's completion percentage is about the same in his opportunities this year. Might as well roll with someone different.

Also, there is the mental factor. Nick is immature. Plain and simple. He's got the baseball bet that he back tracked on, he was suspended for his first game, he's not a good leader. Not saying Key will be a better leader but he's unproven with a chance to be better. We know what Fitz is

BhamDawg205
09-23-2018, 08:34 AM
Sorry, didn't see that. There have been a ton of threads

But yes, I'd let Key start getting snaps and if he starts to out perform Nick, make him the starter

I like your thinking... You could see what advantage Hill has over Williams, but both bring something different. What's is it Fizt doing to cement him as the starter. Since JoMo won't change offense to fit his talent. Open competition back up

WinningIsRelentless
09-23-2018, 08:57 AM
I like your thinking... You could see what advantage Hill has over Williams, but both bring something different. What's is it Fizt doing to cement him as the starter. Since JoMo won't change offense to fit his talent. Open competition back up

I predict at some point in the next 2 weeks Atrain will be our workhorse again. Yes hill can be more explosive but a train is the more pt runner and sets his blockers up better. On top of that he is 100x better at pass pro than hill.

MetEdDawg
09-23-2018, 09:07 AM
Key has a better chance to win us games than Fitz because he can throw the football to where it needs to go. Accuracy will hopefully continue to grow. But Key has made significant strides since he's been here. Fitz really hasn't. I would be shocked if we don't see him at least a little bit against florida.

WinningIsRelentless
09-23-2018, 09:15 AM

Key has a better chance to win us games than Fitz because he can throw the football to where it needs to go. Accuracy will hopefully continue to grow. But Key has made significant strides since he's been here. Fitz really hasn't. I would be shocked if we don't see him at least a little bit against florida.

Y?all have lost your minds. Go figure his comp % by backing out the drops and the throw always and let me know what he is at last night.

KOdawg1
09-23-2018, 09:21 AM
Y?all have lost your minds. Go figure his comp % by backing out the drops and the throw always and let me know what he is at last night.
You need to let go of the completion % stat. It's important but not as important as mental toughness and throwing a catchable ball, which Key does better than Nick

MetEdDawg
09-23-2018, 09:30 AM

The flaw in your logic is that he still has to make those throws. Those are part of it. You going to tell me that on all the throw aways Fitz has no one open?

Screw that crap man. Fitz is not going to take us to where we need to be and you've got no data to support that he will.

WinningIsRelentless
09-23-2018, 09:32 AM

The flaw in your logic is that he still has to make those throws. Those are part of it. You going to tell me that on all the throw aways Fitz has no one open?

Screw that crap man. Fitz is not going to take us to where we need to be and you've got no data to support that he will.

You are going to tell me he has time to get it to them or that it?s not a very high risk throw trying to get it to the open guy?

Jarius
09-23-2018, 09:33 AM
If you watched that game and think the problem was Nick’s passing you have no clue what you’re looking for. He was running for his life because our left tackle was straight shit. His receivers could not catch balls hitting them in the facemask. He had one bad throw.

KOdawg1
09-23-2018, 09:36 AM
If you watched that game and think the problem was Nick’s passing you have no clue what you’re looking for. He was running for his life because our left tackle was straight shit. His receivers could not catch balls hitting them in the facemask. He had one bad throw.
You're right. He didn't have time to throw. But even if he does, he's still not a good passer

BhamDawg205
09-23-2018, 09:43 AM
People keep bringing up drops, as some defense for Fits mediocre play as a passer. Yes the drops piss me off to. But just think if Fitz knew when to rifle it in or take a bit off to make it a catchable ball.
People gave Fitz a pass on his 1st game back, but I saw the same tendencies from last year. But forgot it was Key's 1st game of the season. Fitz looked like a world beater against none power 5 secondary. He looked like a** against the two he's faced this year.

Cooterpoot
09-23-2018, 09:44 AM
KT Completed 43% vs damn SFA. Think about that. He looked lost at times. Fitz isnt great. But last night our ciaches screwed him. They almost got him killed. He had no shot to succeed with what we did and didnt do.

MaroonFlounder
09-23-2018, 09:47 AM
KT has the higher ceiling, and I want him to develop his passing better than Fitz has done, but both of our OTs were abused last night. Fitz's worst throws were after he realized his blindside protector was nothing more than a turnstile. Eiland has the frame and arms you want in a OT, just is pitiful in footwork and technique.

Liverpooldawg
09-23-2018, 09:48 AM
Fitz is the quarterback.

BhamDawg205
09-23-2018, 09:50 AM
He'll look at KSU now SFA might be better... And I agree JoMo forgot how to coach. No screens, no chip shots or double teams on 41. But Fitz has to know when to call hot routes to.

MarketingBully
09-23-2018, 09:52 AM

I watched that aberration of a shit show performance and what people don’t understand about this offense is the complete autonomy a QB has in it. The QB looks at the formation and makes the checks at the line, the QB makes the ultimate decision on whether to keep, give it up, or go with a pass vs run RPO. Even Moorhead said last night that we had runs called and they were changed to passes at the line. It’s why people like Burrow even though his completion percentage is below 50%. Which QB not only has a better grasp of the offense but also puts us in the best plays to win the game should be playing. And Fitz did not put us in the best position to win the game last night either with reads or audibles at the line. I’d give Fitz one more game next week but if he plays like he did last night go with Key.

MarketingBully
09-23-2018, 09:55 AM
KT Completed 43% vs damn SFA. Think about that. He looked lost at times. Fitz isnt great. But last night our ciaches screwed him. They almost got him killed. He had no shot to succeed with what we did and didnt do.

You understand the QB makes the reads and decides 90% of what’s happening in this offense.

chef dixon
09-23-2018, 10:01 AM
You Fitz guys don't get it. He has been here for FIVE YEARS and he is exactly who we thought he was, but a lot of you have defended him and blamed others for his deficiencies the entire time along the way. I don't care if our game plan was shit last night, the bottom line is we need our QB to be a hell of a lot throwing the football to beat teams a whole hell of a lot better than UK. Fitz is not that guy and never was.

Playing Key could be pretty tough to watch this year, but its about the future now for me. If you think Fitz has any more of a chance beating AU, LSU, TAMU, Bama then I get it, but he doesn't.

Dawg2003
09-23-2018, 10:11 AM
Key is no worse than Nick. Maybe no better but not worse. The difference is that Key is a true sophomore who has a chance to grow into this offense. I think we'd fare the same in games but could at least give Key practice. I like Nick a lot, but, if Moorhead won't change the game plan to fit his strengths, it's just more misery for everyone. Players eventually check out. It would be a terrible way to go out for Nick, but he might play himself out of the starting lineup at this rate anyway.

tcdog70
09-23-2018, 10:13 AM
Damn, what game did you 17ers watch. Blaming Fitz is just stupid. his receivers dropped balls. his Oline was pitiful . He was put behind the chains numerous times. His ability to escape the rush gave us our only TD. Shit place the blame where it should be. And remember this , Key can't throw any better and the coaches say he can't grasp the offense.

KOdawg1
09-23-2018, 10:57 AM
Damn, what game did you 17ers watch. Blaming Fitz is just stupid. his receivers dropped balls. his Oline was pitiful . He was put behind the chains numerous times. His ability to escape the rush gave us our only TD. Shit place the blame where it should be. And remember this , Key can't throw any better and the coaches say he can't grasp the offense.

I don't think anyone is blaming Fitz for the loss. But our ceiling is higher with Key

Quaoarsking
09-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Not a single person has blamed Fitz alone, but he definitely shares in the blame with a lot of other people.

bluelightstar
09-23-2018, 11:10 AM
For years, the fact that Fitz can?t throw has been everyone?s fault but Fitz?s. It?s alaays the receivers, the line, the calls...there?s a common denominator here.

bobtail bob
09-23-2018, 11:15 AM
It's true the receivers dropped some that would have extended drives. In that rain those missles he throws .IDK. Ive never liked the trajectory of his passing. It looks they have been working on his touch on the sideline go routes but even those are short more times than not.
Bottom line Nick is a runner. RUN HIM!!!!

Leeshouldveflanked
09-23-2018, 11:45 AM
It?s not a given that KT starts next year....

dawgday166
09-23-2018, 11:57 AM
This will be unpopular but it's obvious that Key is our best QB. Nick is a WR playing QB and it looks like it. The guy just can't throw. Those saying he was an NFL draft pick are kidding themselves. Key, while inaccurate with his opportunities this year, throws a more catchable ball with more touch than Fitz's. His running is not much of a drop-off from nick. He also is more mentally tough.

You right **** Key would've played great either laying on his back or having receivers drop passes last night too ********

Jarius
09-23-2018, 12:00 PM

I have no idea what they were watching either. I stayed off the boards last night and expected to come on here seeing people irate about our horrible offensive line. Instead I see people talking trash about a guy who ran for his damn life all night.

KOdawg1
09-23-2018, 01:00 PM
You right **** Key would've played great either laying on his back or having receivers drop passes last night too ********
You people are missing the point. It's not just about last night. Nick has been here 5 years yet he still can't throw the ball. Key is still relatively unproven. If Moorhead is hell bent on throwing the ball this much, Key should be given a chance.

dawgday166
09-23-2018, 01:06 PM
I predict at some point in the next 2 weeks Atrain will be our workhorse again. Yes hill can be more explosive but a train is the more pt runner and sets his blockers up better. On top of that he is 100x better at pass pro than hill.

I agree. Hill won't be able to run between the tackles in SEC play like Atrain will. And LBs are eating Hill up in pass pro.

Hill has to play in space.

Saltydog
09-23-2018, 01:26 PM
based on physical measurables, I don't see him getting drafted at all.

Quaoarsking
09-23-2018, 02:41 PM
It?s not a given that KT starts next year....

If Mayden's going to be the guy next year, then start him now and let him get his lumps in.

If we're going to start a true freshman next year, then KT and Mayden will probably both transfer, so I guess stick with Fitz.

TALL DAWG
09-23-2018, 06:19 PM

I think everyone who thinks KT should start over Fitz needs to read Coach 34s comments. Like him or not he is spot on about this issue.

Regardless of who is QBing, we need to run the ball 60-65 percent of time this year.
Really stupid this did not occur last night....in a steady rain....! SS- SUPER STUPID...!!

KOdawg1
09-23-2018, 07:07 PM
I think everyone who thinks KT should start over Fitz needs to read Coach 34s comments. Like him or not he is spot on about this issue.

Regardless of who is QBing, we need to run the ball 60-65 percent of time this year.
Really stupid this did not occur last night....in a steady rain....! SS- SUPER STUPID...!!
I read C34's comments. Just bc C34 says something doesn't mean I'm going to change my opinion on the matter. I still think we'd be better of with Key as our starter. Both now and long term.

The second part of your post I think everyone can agree with. No excuse to not pound the rock.

Todd4State
09-23-2018, 09:07 PM
I read C34's comments. Just bc C34 says something doesn't mean I'm going to change my opinion on the matter. I still think we'd be better of with Key as our starter. Both now and long term.

The second part of your post I think everyone can agree with. No excuse to not pound the rock.

At this point- if I started Key the only purpose it would serve would be to give Nick a wake up call which may very well blow up in my face.

BuckyIsAB****
09-23-2018, 09:40 PM
KT isnt our best QB. If you think so it is willful ignorance

yjnkdawg
09-23-2018, 11:21 PM
If Mayden's going to be the guy next year, then start him now and let him get his lumps in.

If we're going to start a true freshman next year, then KT and Mayden will probably both transfer, so I guess stick with Fitz.

Mayden should be able to run a JoeMo offense. KT may can run it, but he nor Fitz were recruited for a JoeMo offense. They were recruited for a DM offense.

BhamDawg205
09-24-2018, 03:52 AM
So Key gets one game and it's decided he's not ready... Fitz has played 3 and showed he's a world beater against inferior secondaries. Ok here's an idea start Fitz, but give Key some snaps. QB by committee, ride the hot hand. I don't see many more games Key will get any reps.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-24-2018, 09:01 AM

Yes! Lets let Fitz get his measley SEC rushing record and then sit his ass for the rest of the year. We can do much better!!**********

tcdog70
09-24-2018, 09:07 AM
So Key gets one game and it's decided he's not ready... Fitz has played 3 and showed he's a world beater against inferior secondaries. Ok here's an idea start Fitz, but give Key some snaps. QB by committee, ride the hot hand. I don't see many more games Key will get any reps.

understand this---The Coaches see Key everyday in practice--they know what He can do and what he can't do. i t is not a one game deal. Fitz rushed for over 100 yards against Bama-just how is that inferior? Saturday--was not on Fitz--

Cooterpoot
09-24-2018, 09:10 AM
I'm all for have Key ready if Fitz struggles. But Key didn't look incredible against a horrible SFA team. Fitz looked bad in his first game in 8 months and a monsoon game where his coaches refused to help the OL out to give him time to throw.

chef dixon
09-24-2018, 11:11 AM
I'm all for have Key ready if Fitz struggles. But Key didn't look incredible against a horrible SFA team. Fitz looked bad in his first game in 8 months and a monsoon game where his coaches refused to help the OL out to give him time to throw.

Not saying Key is the answer, but our fans have been giving Fitz excuses for 3 years and he's been here 5. The guy has never proven to be able to make a throw when our run game isn't working.

louisvilledawg
09-24-2018, 11:50 AM
If you watched that game and think the problem was Nick?s passing you have no clue what you?re looking for. He was running for his life because our left tackle was straight shit. His receivers could not catch balls hitting them in the facemask. He had one bad throw.

That's just plain false. There were multiple throws that were way short of the receiver. Osirus had to go to the ground multiple times to catch the ball.

You are correct in that we did have 2-3 drops, but Fitz didn't do a great job of putting throws where they needed to be.