PDA

View Full Version : Gotta bounce back

msstate7
09-23-2018, 06:56 AM
In '14, Ohio state lost to a 6-6 VT team, and bounced back to win a natty.

LSU lost to Troy last season and still won 9 regular season games.

In '10, VT lost to Boise state and James Madison to start the season. They finished the year 11-3.

Texas started this season with an awful loss to Maryland. They've since won 3 including beating 2 ranked teams in a row by double digits.

In 2015, Om lost to Memphis and Arkansas, but still made a NY6 bowl.

Now I'm not predicting we completely flip the scrip, but it can happen. We have a good team. This is on Moorhead and his staff to pull themselves and this team up from the mat and get it done. Moorhead desperately needs a good performance this week. If he can get us turned around and beat Mullen like he should, we might can get this back on track.

Cooterpoot
09-23-2018, 07:02 AM
Yeah, if we lose this week the season is over i doubt Joe ever recovers.

Dawgfan77
09-23-2018, 07:16 AM
We don?t have the discipline to bounce back. 16 penalties is a good indicator that we don?t have the mental strength to overcome adversity. I?d love to be wrong but their are some serious red flags with this coaching staff.

msstate7
09-23-2018, 07:20 AM
We don?t have the discipline to bounce back. 16 penalties is a good indicator that we don?t have the mental strength to overcome adversity. I?d love to be wrong but their are some serious red flags with this coaching staff.

Believe me, I have serious doubts too. Notice in my list, I put 2 really good coaches (urban and Beamer), 1 jury still out (Herman), 1 decent to good (freeze), and 1 below avg (Ed O). So turnarounds aren't exclusive to just really good coaches

Bully13
09-23-2018, 08:27 AM
Fecal Matter Happens. Shit Samiches Suck. VA Tech gets killed by Old Dominion, OK needs OT to beat Army.

Too many of our players listening to their fat little girlfriends telling them how great they are.

Gonna be the suck this week waiting to see what happens next. I'm sure not gonna watch live though, that's fuh sho. Will record and if the internet brings good results, I'll watch. If not, I know where the delete button is.

maroonmania
09-23-2018, 09:31 AM

And sometimes I truly feel like most all SEC refs hate our program with a passion. It seems often that every possible call they can make against us they do and then you have situations like last night where a KY pass interference call is just waved off that would have moved us deep into KY territory still only down 7 points. I've literally never seen that. The PF on Leo for roughing the passer was an absolutely horrible call last night and almost every PF or unsportsmanlike call we got last night kept a KY drive alive. I would literally rather have ANY other league's refs calling our game other than an SEC crew. Keep going back to the Bama game last year where the SEC ref threw his hat down on Ridley going out of bounds illegally and then just let it go once Bama completed the 70 yard pass to Ridley down to the half yard line. Terrible combination to have an out of control undisciplined MSU team with an SEC crew. Not going to win many games with 16 penalties.

DownwardDawg
09-23-2018, 09:49 AM
Fecal Matter Happens. Shit Samiches Suck. VA Tech gets killed by Old Dominion, OK needs OT to beat Army.

Too many of our players listening to their fat little girlfriends telling them how great they are.

Gonna be the suck this week waiting to see what happens next. I'm sure not gonna watch live though, that's fuh sho. Will record and if the internet brings good results, I'll watch. If not, I know where the delete button is.

I’m with ya. No way I waste next Saturday focused on our game. I’ll take the Wife out to eat, work around the house, etc.
I’ll catch the game when I feel like it. We ain’t gonna be good this year.

starkvegasdawg
09-23-2018, 09:53 AM
I'm going to let last night slide. However, we lay a massive turd in the bed next Saturday and I'll concede the season. I can blame one week on the weather, lack of discipline, being too amped up, coach not knowing what to expect, and so on. Just don't let it happen two weeks in a row.

Quaoarsking
09-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Part of the issue is we don't know how good Kentucky really is. If Kentucky goes 10-2 (which seems likely looking at their schedule), this isn't much worse than our losses to Auburn and Georgia last year, and we bounced back from those to have a good season.

But for that to be true, Kentucky has to be much better than they've been under Stoops or any other coach in decades, so it's natural to be skeptical.

tcdog70
09-23-2018, 09:59 AM
And sometimes I truly feel like most all SEC refs hate our program with a passion. It seems often that every possible call they can make against us they do and then you have situations like last night where a KY pass interference call is just waved off that would have moved us deep into KY territory still only down 7 points. I've literally never seen that. The PF on Leo for roughing the passer was an absolutely horrible call last night and almost every PF or unsportsmanlike call we got last night kept a KY drive alive. I would literally rather have ANY other league's refs calling our game other than an SEC crew. Keep going back to the Bama game last year where the SEC ref threw his hat down on Ridley going out of bounds illegally and then just let it go once Bama completed the 70 yard pass to Ridley down to the half yard line. Terrible combination to have an out of control undisciplined MSU team with an SEC crew. Not going to win many games with 16 penalties.

The PI call on us where their Tight end grabbed our d back by the head was beyond pitiful. We had inside position with our head around.

MarketingBully
09-23-2018, 10:12 AM
Part of the issue is we don't know how good Kentucky really is. If Kentucky goes 10-2 (which seems likely looking at their schedule), this isn't much worse than our losses to Auburn and Georgia last year, and we bounced back from those to have a good season.

But for that to be true, Kentucky has to be much better than they've been under Stoops or any other coach in decades, so it's natural to be skeptical.

That’s an 8-4 UK team at best. No way they go 10-2. They easily lose to South Carolina (who they play next week), UGA, Mizzou, and A&M. They just really punked us and used our emotion to get into our heads more then anything. Very concerning to say the least. With a veteran team like we have, we sure as shit don’t act like it on the road.

Quaoarsking
09-23-2018, 10:30 AM
That’s an 8-4 UK team at best. No way they go 10-2. They easily lose to South Carolina (who they play next week), UGA, Mizzou, and A&M. They just really punked us and used our emotion to get into our heads more then anything. Very concerning to say the least. With a veteran team like we have, we sure as shit don’t act like it on the road.

What have South Carolina or Missouri done to suggest they'll "easily" beat Kentucky?

Kentucky has 2 decent wins now, while Missouri needed a last second FG to beat one of the worst Big 10 teams, and South Carolina's best win is over Vandy.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-23-2018, 10:45 AM
It can be fixed. We'll see if Moorhead is as good as everyone on here was proclaiming less than 24 hours ago and adjusts what he did wrong. Something Mullen never seemed to do and people were constantly unhappy about

RezDog7
09-23-2018, 10:51 AM
While agree we played like absolute garbage; that was some of the worst calls I've ever seen.

Dawgfan77
09-23-2018, 11:15 AM
It can be fixed. We'll see if Moorhead is as good as everyone on here was proclaiming less than 24 hours ago and adjusts what he did wrong. Something Mullen never seemed to do and people were constantly unhappy about
If he was as good as we hoped he would have made adjustments in the second half. He had no plan of adjustment. No chip of the DE to help the tackles. No getting the ball outside with option. Lack of discipline and lack of playing to your strength. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but he was outed by Mark stoops last night he is in over his head.

bluelightstar
09-23-2018, 11:18 AM
This is actually very much like what happened to Ed O in Starkville last year. They bounced back to finish 3rd in the West and a NYD bowl. Hopefully we just ran into a buzzsaw

Dawgfan77
09-23-2018, 11:21 AM
This is actually very much like what happened to Ed O in Starkville last year. They bounced back to finish 3rd in the West and a NYD bowl. Hopefully we just ran into a buzzsaw
They also lost at home to Troy the next week.

dawgday166
09-23-2018, 11:30 AM
Good post 7. I started to post something like this last night.

There's no way what I'm going to say will happen but .. to get in CFP we had to sweep the west anyway and beat east champ. We weren't getting in at 11-1 and losing the west or losing SecC (at 11-2) most likely if Bama was 11-1 also.

Now we can't beat Bama regardless, but this team has the talent to beat the rest and maybe play in NY6 Bowl.

Can't say I'm not very concerned tho. It's obvious to me we are not a tough, well-coached team right now. If we lay an egg against FL ... it will be close to a 2001 type year. 7 wins will most likely be our ceiling.

We're fixin to find out what kind of coaching staff and team we have in the next week or 2.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-23-2018, 11:33 AM
If he was as good as we hoped he would have made adjustments in the second half. He had no plan of adjustment. No chip of the DE to help the tackles. No getting the ball outside with option. Lack of discipline and lack of playing to your strength. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but he was outed by Mark stoops last night he is in over his head.
This was the most concerning aspect of it in my opinion. You can try to blame away a lot of the play calling on the weather, constantly being backed up due to penalties, Kentucky loading the box and Fitz not being able to beat them with his arm, etc. But the fact we let the one good DE for them live in our backfield was absurd.