PDA

View Full Version : I have to talk about the officiating in the SEC...

Coursesuper
09-22-2018, 11:03 PM
We didn't lose due to it but it damn sure didn't help us. Two of the pass interference calls were two of the absolute worst calls I've ever seen. How are these guys working games at this level. Mizzou took it sideways today also, its pure incompetence on a consistent level.

As far a fix, there is so much money in the power five now that there is no reason for these officials to belong to a single conference. There needs to be a professional group that oversees all officials that assigns, grades, promotes or cuts officials on performance weekly.

The product that is being put on the field is amateur at best and the game is not worked constantly in any P5 conference.

Liverpooldawg
09-22-2018, 11:04 PM
Refs had nothing to do with this debacle. Don't even go there.

BuckyIsAB****
09-22-2018, 11:06 PM

Saying they werent bad makes as much sense as saying we werent bad tonight. You are just pushing the Mullenite narrative

smootness
09-22-2018, 11:07 PM
Saying they werent bad makes as much sense as saying we werent bad tonight. You are just pushing the Mullenite narrative

The point is, we have way bigger issues right now than needing to worry about officiating.

Coursesuper
09-22-2018, 11:08 PM

You don't read to well do you. We got a couple of bad calls but if you watch other games there is to much missed to chalk it to that's football. It's incompetence and it's wide spread.

baddmann
09-22-2018, 11:09 PM
They were horrible. We have a multi-million dollar product and they are allowed to be that bad? Come on man!

TimberBeast
09-22-2018, 11:09 PM
The point is, we have way bigger issues right now than needing to worry about officiating.

Their first two scores were absolutely given to them by the refs, and they stalled or stopped most of our series by bullshit calls. This game was not called even almost equally.

baddmann
09-22-2018, 11:13 PM
http://i66.tinypic.com/210ksq9.jpg

This was pass interference on us. WTF?

Pit Bull
09-22-2018, 11:14 PM
We didn't lose due to it but it damn sure didn't help us. Two of the pass interference calls were two of the absolute worst calls I've ever seen. How are these guys working games at this level. Mizzou took it sideways today also, its pure incompetence on a consistent level.

As far a fix, there is so much money in the power five now that there is no reason for these officials to belong to a single conference. There needs to be a professional group that oversees all officials that assigns, grades, promotes or cuts officials on performance weekly.

The product that is being put on the field is amateur at best and the game is not worked constantly in any P5 conference.

Was bad but did not effect the outcome.....I noticed numerous poor to bad ball spots when we should have gotten a yard or two more. One of them had us come up short on a critical first down....I suppose the loud KY crowd intimidated them.

BuckyIsAB****
09-22-2018, 11:17 PM

I agree with that. But it wouldnt have mattered if we won. Liverpool wouldve found a way to praise Mullen

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-22-2018, 11:17 PM

Yeah they kinda were. They called Leo for roughing the passer and even the announcers said it was clean. Resulted in our D playing 7 more snaps. Uk committed OPI by pushing off Dantzler when they threw it down to the 2 That was 7 free points. Kentucky TE committed OPI against Rayford and they called it on Rayford. That no call set up their 2nd TD. Kentucky committed clear PI that they threw a flag on and then picked up. We didn't pick up a first down, so they cost us an opportunity for a drive. They called us for 4 unsportsmanlike penalties, but never called Kentucky for 1 despite the fact the announcers said several times Kentucky was mouthing off and pushing us after plays. They know that if a flag was thrown it would be on our response. Replace the 4-0 discrepancy with 3-1 and you've killed one Kentucky drive and helped one of ours. 30 yards is huge.

SO yeah, the refs were a part in the loss. They have nothing to do with our OL and playcalling issues, or our general undisciplined play because we deserved a lot of flags. But they definitely hurt us

TimberBeast
09-22-2018, 11:21 PM
Yeah they kinda were. They called Leo for roughing the passer and even the announcers said it was clean. Resulted in our D playing 7 more snaps. Uk committed OPI by pushing off Dantzler when they threw it down to the 2 That was 7 free points. Kentucky TE committed OPI against Rayford and they called it on Rayford. That no call set up their 2nd TD. Kentucky committed clear PI that they threw a flag on and then picked up. We didn't pick up a first down, so they cost us an opportunity for a drive. They called us for 4 unsportsmanlike penalties, but never called Kentucky for 1 despite the fact the announcers said several times Kentucky was mouthing off and pushing us after plays. They know that if a flag was thrown it would be on our response. Replace the 4-0 discrepancy with 3-1 and you've killed one Kentucky drive and helped one of ours. 30 yards is huge.

SO yeah, the refs were a part in the loss. They have nothing to do with our OL and playcalling issues, or our general undisciplined play because we deserved a lot of flags. But they definitely hurt us

Exactly, we had issues but the refs screwed us over and over again on both sides of the ball and it absolutely affected the outcome of the game.

Liverpooldawg
09-22-2018, 11:22 PM

Dude, we got beat, and by the better team. It doesn't matter who the coach is.

Coursesuper
09-22-2018, 11:24 PM
[QUOTE=the_real_MSU_is_us;997435]Yeah they kinda were. They called Leo for roughing the passer and even the announcers said it was clean. Resulted in our D playing 7 more snaps. Uk committed OPI by pushing off Dantzler when they threw it down to the 2 That was 7 free points. Kentucky TE committed OPI against Rayford and they called it on Rayford. That no call set up their 2nd TD. Kentucky committed clear PI that they threw a flag on and then picked up. We didn't pick up a first down, so they cost us an opportunity for a drive. They called us for 4 unsportsmanlike penalties, but never called Kentucky for 1 despite the fact the announcers said several times Kentucky was mouthing off and pushing us after plays. They know that if a flag was thrown it would be on our response. Replace the 4-0 discrepancy with 3-1 and you've killed one Kentucky drive and helped one of ours. 30 yards is huge.

SO yeah, the refs were a part in the loss. They have nothing to do with our OL and playcalling issues, or our general undisciplined play because we deserved a lot of flags. But they definitely hurt us[/QUOTE

Bingo

Liverpooldawg
09-22-2018, 11:25 PM
I agree with that. But it wouldnt have mattered if we won. Liverpool wouldve found a way to praise Mullen

If we had won I would have been breathing easy and looking forward to handling Mullen his head next week. I was worried about this game. Now on to the next one. We pretty much HAVE to win it now.

EdDawg
09-22-2018, 11:28 PM
Serious question if it's 14-14 going into the last 3 minutes of the game do you think UK scores that last td as easily as they did?

TimberBeast
09-22-2018, 11:28 PM
If we had won I would have been breathing easy and looking forward to handling Mullen his head next week. I was worried about this game. Now on to the next one. We pretty much HAVE to win it now.

Who is we?

Coursesuper
09-22-2018, 11:35 PM
Dude, we got beat, and by the better team. It doesn't matter who the coach is.

Could you not see the effect on the outcome of a game due to incompetence, it's huge, and it's getting worse. There were three or four plays tonight that if they go the other way get them off the field of backed up or we stay on the field with at least a chance to stay in it. Momentum is a huge thing.

Just realize this much, this was the same crew that blew the AU, LSU game last week.
Think about how the Egg was officiated, watch a bammer game.

EdDawg
09-22-2018, 11:38 PM
Our offense was awful tonight, our defense didn't play well, but well enough to give us a chance. However every single time the offense started showing life the refs hit us with a penalty that left many scratching their head.

Yes we should not have been in that situation, but that should not be an excuse for a terrible calls.

If the game is close I don't think Kentucky scores that last td. She'll had a great game, but their offense was still having a tough time with our defense until the beginning of the 4th.

Defense is played with a lot of emotion, and it's easily to not give full effort when the game is seemingly out of reach. That sucks to say, but every team is like that. When we didn't score on the drive after the picked up flag on PI, the defense took a big hit emotionally.

EdDawg
09-22-2018, 11:46 PM
There has been a problem with officiating in the SEC for awhile, and it's a joke that they can't be questioned on their calls. With as much money as the conference and ncaa makes the refs should be at the professional level. Yes they make mistakes too, but not nearly as many.

Hell maybe have the booth able to change obvious bad calls. Something has to change. There are people whose jobs depend on the outcomes of games (think about low level assistants that don't make millions.) So we need a better system than 60 year old Jim thinking a receiving was touched and throwing a flag from 30 yards away in a critical situation.

Coursesuper
09-22-2018, 11:53 PM
There has been a problem with officiating in the SEC for awhile, and it's a joke that they can't be questioned on their calls. With as much money as the conference and ncaa makes the refs should be at the professional level. Yes they make mistakes too, but not nearly as many.

Hell maybe have the booth able to change obvious bad calls. Something has to change. There are people whose jobs depend on the outcomes of games (think about low level assistants that don't make millions.) So we need a better system than 60 year old Jim thinking a receiving was touched and throwing a flag from 30 yards away in a critical situation.

There is too much riding on this in this day and time to continue to use the same methodology that was used 60 years ago. It's has to become professional at some point.

Percho
09-23-2018, 01:39 PM

What can over rule a PI call. A flag was thrown therefore someone believed they saw PI. To my knowledge the only over rule is not catchable and or tipped ball. What allowed the over rule?

DownwardDawg
09-23-2018, 01:57 PM

All I could do was laugh at that one. One of the worst calls I?ve seen in my life.

DownwardDawg
09-23-2018, 01:59 PM
What can over rule a PI call. A flag was thrown therefore someone believed they saw PI. To my knowledge the only over rule is not catchable and or tipped ball. What allowed the over rule?

It wasn’t overruled. They called pass interference against the defense. I honestly think they got confused and then just let it go.

MarketingBully
09-23-2018, 02:40 PM
It wasn?t overruled. They called pass interference against the defense. I honestly think they got confused and then just let it go.

They did overrule a PI they called against UK that would have given us a first down at the Kentucky 35 after that 3rd and 39 debacle when it was still 14-7. They picked up the flag even as the announcers said it was PI and were perplexed that the flag was picked up. They called an unsportsmanlike penalty on a number 20 who wasn?t even in the game on a 3rd down that kept their first drive of the second half alive in which they scored. They scored their first TD based on that bogus roughing the passer call in which happened on third down. The guy didn?t secure the ball until he was out of bounds on that big catch that led to their first TD. One official said he didn?t catch it and another said he did. No review was even done. Snell also didn?t get in and the ref that said it was a TD was on the opposite side with no chance of seeing the actual play. The refs sucked really really bad last night. Simmons was also held the entire game as well. Nothing called.

Op4isabitch
09-23-2018, 02:56 PM

Sir, you've gone full retard....Never go full retard.

MarketingBully
09-23-2018, 03:02 PM
Sir, you've gone full retard....Never go full retard.

Wyatt said the roughing the passer call was bogus and that SEC higher ups he knows stated the same.

Commercecomet24
09-23-2018, 03:09 PM
We played like crap and lost that game all on our own. That being said the officials sucked with a capital S! The play where Simmons got called for unsportsmanlike the ol had his face mask from the snap and wouldn't let go and was twisting his head. Later in the game they ripped Simmons helmet off and he stood there after the play looking at the official "like where's the flag?" Yeah we played bad but that game was officiated like we were playing bama lol

RougeDawg
09-23-2018, 03:18 PM
We played like crap and lost that game all on our own. That being said the officials sucked with a capital S! The play where Simmons got called for unsportsmanlike the ol had his face mask from the snap and wouldn't let go and was twisting his head. Later in the game they ripped Simmons helmet off and he stood there after the play looking at the official "like where's the flag?" Yeah we played bad but that game was officiated like we were playing bama lol

I counted at least 5 times the OL had Simmons by the facemask, twisting his head. It was beyond comical that we never got a call.

Say what you want but 3 of their 4 TD?s were aided by a yellow handkerchief and 5-6 of our drives were killed my one. We say it shouldn?t come down to that, but sometimes it does. Playing on the road in a hostile environment, in the pouring rain, it has a huge impact. Just think if we get that PI on that long 3rd down, like UK did on one of their scoring drives. We score and gain momentum and win? How can anyone say with a straight face that a bad call at the correct time can change the outcome of a game?

I just hope Cohen will wear out the SEC office in Birmingham this week because these officials need pink slips. I was also at the Auburn LSU game and saw how horrible they were. No excuse for the best conference to have less than the best everything. Including officials.

BrunswickDawg
09-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Wyatt said the roughing the passer call was bogus and that SEC higher ups he knows stated the same.

The QB threw off his back foot and didn't even step into the throw because he was about to get hit and he knew it. Absolutely no way it was roughing the passer.

Commercecomet24
09-23-2018, 03:31 PM
I counted at least 5 times the OL had Simmons by the facemask, twisting his head. It was beyond comical that we never got a call.

Say what you want but 3 of their 4 TD?s were aided by a yellow handkerchief and 5-6 of our drives were killed my one. We say it shouldn?t come down to that, but sometimes it does. Playing on the road in a hostile environment, in the pouring rain, it has a huge impact. Just think if we get that PI on that long 3rd down, like UK did on one of their scoring drives. We score and gain momentum and win? How can anyone say with a straight face that a bad call at the correct time can change the outcome of a game?

I just hope Cohen will wear out the SEC office in Birmingham this week because these officials need pink slips. I was also at the Auburn LSU game and saw how horrible they were. No excuse for the best conference to have less than the best everything. Including officials.

Exactly and anyone saying officials can't affect the outcome of a game ain't very bright. Did we play well? No. We were severely hindered by the officiating in this game however. I honestly applaud Simmons for holding it as long as he did. He was held and facemasked all night.

lastmajordog
09-23-2018, 04:08 PM
The other one was a two handed receiver push off on the sideline .........I agree.....Dogs have huge problems but both those horrendous calls led to TD?s if i remember.

Jack Lambert
09-23-2018, 04:13 PM

They are bad and yes most of the penalties were legit but when you see them pick flags up that goes against us pisses you off. Also why no unsportman penalties on KY. Seems they were pushing the button pretty hard. You can't make me believe they did not deserve one.

Also twice during the game once with Fitz and once with Hill they both ran out of bounds but the clock continued to roll. I guess it doesn't stop anymore when running out of bounds. I can't remember the time it was for Fitz but it was around 6:33 in fourth quarter that Hill ran out and the clock did not stop.

BrunswickDawg
09-23-2018, 04:19 PM
They are bad and yes most of the penalties were legit but when you see them pick flags up that goes against us pisses you off. Also why no Personal penalties on KY. Seems they were pushing the button pretty hard. You can't make me believe they did not deserve one.

Also twice during the game once with Fitz and once with Hill they both ran out of bounds but the clock continued to roll. I guess it doesn't stop anymore when running out of bounds. I can't remember the time it was for Fitz but it was around 6:33 in fourth quarter that Hill ran out and the clock did not stop.

There was also a Delay of Game that was due to the refs not making sure the play clock was recycled and we only had 10 seconds instead of the normal 25.

LC Dawg
09-23-2018, 04:26 PM
I would love to hear an explanation of them picking up the flag on the 3rd and 39 play. That was a huge deal.
In regards to Simmons being played dirty I put that on Coach Moorhead. He's going to have to call a ref over and rip his ass when he sees an opponent getting away with stuff like that. I know it's not in his nature to scream and cuss but you can get on a ref's ass without doing that.

SailingDawg
09-23-2018, 04:48 PM
You don't read to well do you. We got a couple of bad calls but if you watch other games there is to much missed to chalk it to that's football. It's incompetence and it's wide spread.

You get a couple of bad calls and it affects the minds of the young guys playing the game.

3rdGen
09-23-2018, 07:00 PM
So how do we start a conversation with people who can make a difference in how the refs are held accountable or make them become full time positions where you can be certified or something as such.

Basically who runs shit and how can the schools get together and make a case for better refs and accountability.
If we are going to have replay shouldn’t we make damn sure that every call is the right call. Isn’t that the point of it all.

Just hire them out and rotate them from team to team with random mixes of who is on each team for each week and make them take test on the rules like I have to do for certifications at my work(maybe this is already done I don’t know). There has to be a better way and if I need to start a company that proctors exams for refs I will. Somebody let me know.

All this being said we still cant give away games and have to tighten up these loose ends.

Coursesuper
09-23-2018, 07:17 PM
So how do we start a conversation with people who can make a difference in how the refs are held accountable or make them become full time positions where you can be certified or something as such.

Basically who runs shit and how can the schools get together and make a case for better refs and accountability.
If we are going to have replay shouldn’t we make damn sure that every call is the right call. Isn’t that the point of it all.

Just hire them out and rotate them from team to team with random mixes of who is on each team for each week and make them take test on the rules like I have to do for certifications at my work(maybe this is already done I don’t know). There has to be a better way and if I need to start a company that proctors exams for refs I will. Somebody let me know.

All this being said we still cant give away games and have to tighten up these loose ends.

Each conference has its own officials for football, believe it or not they do take test and do get certified. Even more unbelievable is that they are graded on their performance in each game. The problem is that none of them are professionals. There is one full time official in the SEC and he is the coordinator of officials, he assignees the crews to the games before the season. The biggest problem is, is that officiating is one of the tightest good old boy networks you’ll ever run into.

The only way to fix it is to follow the MLB model and take the officials away from each conference and make it a national pool of officials administered independently. You appl, get training at lower levels and work your way up the big leagues. If you aren’t good enough then you’re gone.

Bdawg
09-23-2018, 08:05 PM

Well why don't the higher ups sit that damn crew for a few weeks for punishment or just let them go.

Activated Alpha
09-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Any way you can use social media to get the SEC aware of these atrocious refs? The first unsportmanslike penalty on Simmons was when a Kentucky o lineman grabbed his crotch while running by. I don't blame Simmoms for blowing up on him. Kentucky's players should have had their skulls caved in

Jack Lambert
09-23-2018, 09:01 PM

Even with the crappy play the refs gave them two touch downs.

Jack Lambert
09-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Well why don't the higher ups sit that damn crew for a few weeks for punishment or just let them go.

That does happen. The SEC does not advertise punishment to ref crews. If it is bad enough they will not get to do post season games. My understanding they have fired refs over bad calls. I think the SEC should let the fans know when they issue a punishment.

yjnkdawg
09-24-2018, 12:01 AM

It shouldn't have been. A defensive player has as much right to get to the ball as the offensive player. Rayford (think that's 24 -real blurry) was in a better position, and then the KY receiver comes up over his back to catch the ball. It should have been offensive pass interference. IMO Officiating didn't actually cause us to lose this game, but it sure made it easier for KY to win it.

NCDawg
09-24-2018, 12:53 AM

Reminds me of the Dick Pace call-very similar.

NCDawg
09-24-2018, 01:00 AM
I would love to hear an explanation of them picking up the flag on the 3rd and 39 play. That was a huge deal.
In regards to Simmons being played dirty I put that on Coach Moorhead. He's going to have to call a ref over and rip his ass when he sees an opponent getting away with stuff like that. I know it's not in his nature to scream and cuss but you can get on a ref's ass without doing that.

I also didn't understand why Moorhead didn't call time-out and question the head referee after they had ruled the guy out of bounds on Kentucky's first TD. The other referee came in and said he was in bounds and Kentucky then ran a play and scored from the one yard line. He may have been in bounds when he caught it but Moorhead didn't question the other 2 referees being over-ruled.

JoseBrown
09-24-2018, 09:16 AM

I'd like to see a pic of the long third down pass to around the ten to Farrod Green. The DB had his back to the ball and was face guarding Farrod. The flag was thrown for DPI then it was picked up, and it ended our drive. Cost us points directly. There were too many bad calls at absolute critical times for us on off to end drives and def to continue U.K. drives.

Then all the false starts, why the hell do we have our oline in their stances for 20 seconds before every single play? And why didn't we figure a way to help out blocking Allen? And when we had tight ends lined up on his side, he would straight run routes every single time with no effort to chip Allen. Made no sense to me. If Fitz wasn't expecting Allen to be in his ass every time he may have been a little better.

LC Dawg
09-24-2018, 09:54 AM
I'd like to see a pic of the long third down pass to around the ten to Farrod Green. The DB had his back to the ball and was face guarding Farrod. The flag was thrown for DPI then it was picked up, and it ended our drive. Cost us points directly. There were too many bad calls at absolute critical times for us on off to end drives and def to continue U.K. drives.

Then all the false starts, why the hell do we have our oline in their stances for 20 seconds before every single play? And why didn't we figure a way to help out blocking Allen? And when we had tight ends lined up on his side, he would straight run routes every single time with no effort to chip Allen. Made no sense to me. If Fitz wasn't expecting Allen to be in his ass every time he may have been a little better.

When I watched the replay of the throw to Farrod I thought it was borderline pass interference that I wouldn't have questioned if it wasn't called. But it was called and I would love to know how they can wave off the flag.