PDA

View Full Version : I?m definitely questioning this hire. This is pathetic, and yes, we are average.

Thick
09-22-2018, 09:05 PM
Moorhead?s in over his head in this conference. His approach to being sweet to his kids will produce undiscipline play on the field. Bama, LSU, and AU might drag us big time.

DownwardDawg
09-22-2018, 09:07 PM
This was a garbage hire. We in big trouble.

cujo
09-22-2018, 09:08 PM
Moorhead?s in over his head in this conference. His approach to being sweet to his kids will produce undiscipline play on the field. Bama, LSU, and AU might drag us big time.

This is pathetic

1bigdawg
09-22-2018, 09:23 PM
Whether it is his "sweetness" or not, we got our butts whipped up fron tonight.

MetEdDawg
09-22-2018, 09:31 PM
Don't question the hire. It's a little early to jump the gun. This is a horrid loss and there isn't anything of value to take away from this.

But just like everything you learn and you adapt. We will see how well Moorhead will adjust and adapt. We have a cocky ass team and that's the first thing that needs to go. But if you give up on this season tonight your ass better stay gone if we win the next two.

thf24
09-22-2018, 09:34 PM
But if you give up on this season tonight your ass better stay gone if we win the next two.

I second this. Most of us were not realistic in thinking there wouldn't be any growing pains under a new coach, particularly a first time head coach at this level, despite our talent. But **** off and don't come back if you're ready to jump ship at the first sign of adversity.

Mobile Bay
09-22-2018, 09:37 PM
he problem is Cohen. We made it to Omaha and he fired that coach. Then he brought in a clearly unqualified FCS coach. This is what we get for that. Cohen needs to go.

gravedigger
09-22-2018, 09:38 PM

"This team is the most awesome ever"
(finds out its not quite that awesome)
"This team is the worst ever"

No wonder drug companies are making a killing on anti depressants

Todd4State
09-22-2018, 09:39 PM
Don't question the hire. It's a little early to jump the gun. This is a horrid loss and there isn't anything of value to take away from this.

But just like everything you learn and you adapt. We will see how well Moorhead will adjust and adapt. We have a cocky ass team and that's the first thing that needs to go. But if you give up on this season tonight your ass better stay gone if we win the next two.

Finally an actual rational post.

Todd4State
09-22-2018, 09:40 PM
he problem is Cohen. We made it to Omaha and he fired that coach. Then he brought in a clearly unqualified FCS coach. This is what we get for that. Cohen needs to go.

We didn't "fire" Henderson and Lemonis hasn't even coached a game yet.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2018, 09:42 PM

That's a great post! We are a bi polar bunch aren't we. You would think after the basketball season and baseball season we would learn to let the season play out.

msstate7
09-22-2018, 09:43 PM

Great post haha

Mobile Bay
09-22-2018, 09:52 PM
We didn't "fire" Henderson and Lemonis hasn't even coached a game yet.

Lemonis should have never had an opening to be hired into. Cohen is an egotistic ****tard that didn't have the brains to keep Henderson on as head coach after Omaha. Now look at what we are stuck with in football. If you think Matt Luke is a goofy looking fat bastard then you should look at what we have.

BrunswickDawg
09-22-2018, 09:57 PM
I think we fell into a trap of believing our own hype. Mullen left us a very talented, deep, defense front. We let that and "18 returning starters" make us believe that this is the most talented team we've ever had. Reality may be that we actually aren't.

We saw tonight the cumulative impact of terrible OL recruiting, terrible WR recruiting, terrible ST recruiting, terrible defensive secondary recruiting, terrible roster management, and - as much of a Fitz homer as I am - flawed belief that you can always make a great athlete a great QB. Combine that with new system, new coaching staff, and some youth at key positions, and you are looking at a perfect storm if you are taking an SEC team lightly - especially a team that just solidified itself as the #2 in the East.

Team and coaches lost tonight, but I think Dan and the CC Boys lose this one too because of all of the above.

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2018, 10:03 PM

This is a good post.

My biggest concern is that this may very well be the most talented team Moorhead ever has, & that’s what we got tonight.

My biggest concern isn’t that we lost, it’s that we looked completely inept in making any adjustments to get something going. I get that happening vs Bama but not vs Kentucky. Then you throw the penalties on top of it all, & it’s clear that he’s either 1. Way too light on them or 2. The players are taking advantage of the staff.

My biggest concern is that Moorhead may be coaching different types of kids than what he coached at Penn State or at Fordham. Kids from small towns in the south are different, & he may have to adjust his coaching style accordingly.

Mullen was from the North, but he coached on a staff at Florida that had 31 arrested players on it. So he knew or was at least around discipline.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-22-2018, 10:19 PM
My biggest concern is that Moorhead may be coaching different types of kids than what he coached at Penn State or at Fordham. Kids from small towns in the south are different, & he may have to adjust his coaching style accordingly.

Mullen was from the North, but he coached on a staff at Florida that had 31 arrested players on it. So he knew or was at least around discipline.

That's one of the things I was worried about when we hired him. Mullen wanted a physical, aggressive, rough around the edges team. He didn't' mind some late hits or jawing after the play if it meant we played physical. He recruited guy that fit that mental mold.

Moorhead comes in and focuses more on scheme and abstract stuff than he does physicality. He wants to recruit smart kids and win with precision.

Moorhead disciplines like he's riding a calm old horse. Yet Mullen left him a young, barely broken mustang. it was very clear tonight that Moorheads style didn't do crap to get the players' jaws in line

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-22-2018, 10:20 PM

Lol we beat Florida next week and all will be good again..rinse repeat.

DownwardDawg
09-22-2018, 10:25 PM
I second this. Most of us were not realistic in thinking there wouldn't be any growing pains under a new coach, particularly a first time head coach at this level, despite our talent. But **** off and don't come back if you're ready to jump ship at the first sign of adversity.

That was the most pathetic coaching I’ve seen in a very long time. It helps my weekend next weekend. I was trying to figure out how to make it home for the Florida game. Ain’t worried about that now. I don’t want to watch Mullen whip our ass at home next Saturday.

I’m trying hard to find 8 wins now. I can’t.

Todd4State
09-22-2018, 10:28 PM
This is a good post.

My biggest concern is that this may very well be the most talented team Moorhead ever has, & that’s what we got tonight.

My biggest concern isn’t that we lost, it’s that we looked completely inept in making any adjustments to get something going. I get that happening vs Bama but not vs Kentucky. Then you throw the penalties on top of it all, & it’s clear that he’s either 1. Way too light on them or 2. The players are taking advantage of the staff.

I sincerely hope that our teams have more talent going forward. If nothing else- hopefully more players that fit his system well like Shrader.

I seen it dawg
09-22-2018, 10:30 PM
I think we fell into a trap of believing our own hype. Mullen left us a very talented, deep, defense front. We let that and "18 returning starters" make us believe that this is the most talented team we've ever had. Reality may be that we actually aren't.

We saw tonight the cumulative impact of terrible OL recruiting, terrible WR recruiting, terrible ST recruiting, terrible defensive secondary recruiting, terrible roster management, and - as much of a Fitz homer as I am - flawed belief that you can always make a great athlete a great QB. Combine that with new system, new coaching staff, and some youth at key positions, and you are looking at a perfect storm if you are taking an SEC team lightly - especially a team that just solidified itself as the #2 in the East.

Team and coaches lost tonight, but I think Dan and the CC Boys lose this one too because of all of the above.

Good post

StarkVegasSteve
09-22-2018, 10:37 PM
I'm afraid this isn't a one game problem. Moorhead is in over his head and has been since the moment he took the job. We're staring down the barrel of 6-6 or 7-5. And I don't think it gets any better in the years to come

Homedawg
09-22-2018, 10:45 PM
Lemonis should have never had an opening to be hired into. Cohen is an egotistic ****tard that didn't have the brains to keep Henderson on as head coach after Omaha. Now look at what we are stuck with in football. If you think Matt Luke is a goofy looking fat bastard then you should look at what we have.

Can't give more bad rep. But if I could I would. Damn man.

Homedawg
09-22-2018, 10:46 PM
I sincerely hope that our teams have more talent going forward. If nothing else- hopefully more players that fit his system well like Shrader.

Well maybe so, but if he can't adjust when we can't block an elite rusher it won't matter. And he didn't tonight that's bad coaching

tireddawg
09-22-2018, 10:47 PM
I'm afraid this isn't a one game problem. Moorhead is in over his head and has been since the moment he took the job. We're staring down the barrel of 6-6 or 7-5. And I don't think it gets any better in the years to come

I agree, and since he blamed the players it validates it even more for me.

Liverpooldawg
09-22-2018, 10:48 PM

We aren't even average and the lack of discipline is extremely troubling.

smootness
09-22-2018, 10:49 PM

It would be a huge achievement to accumulate more talent than we currently have. This team is loaded.

Thick
09-22-2018, 11:00 PM
I’m not saying we are going to lose the next 2 or 3 games, but some of you guys need to get your heads out of your asses. We had multiple upper classmen get unsportsmanlike-like penalties. Our sophomore tackles were so worried about getting beat on the edge that they had numerous false starts. Our “Cerebral” HC kept trying to run the ball between the tackles vs 7-8 man fronts. We could have gotten to the edge all night, but we chose not to call plays to get people in space. Our defense was extremely passive, and Shoop called a HORRIBLE game. WE should have been putting 8 in the box, and daring them to beat us in the air. We didn’t blitz nearly enough, thus allowing them to force their will upon us. One more thing, when Fitz hits a WR in the hands THEY have to catch it. NONE of their LBERS could cover our RBs out of the backfield either. We threw 3-4 passes to them, all for solid gains. Hill needs no less then 15-20 touches a game....period!

maroonmania
09-22-2018, 11:11 PM

One thing I've never understood about our football program. We play like absolute dog crap when our players get full of themselves every time. Other programs seem to be able to get that attitude and still play well. Heck, KY had a cocky ass team tonight and played their best game against us in years.

Cowbell
09-22-2018, 11:16 PM
I?m not saying we are going to lose the next 2 or 3 games, but some of you guys need to get your heads out of your asses. We had multiple upper classmen get unsportsmanlike-like penalties. Our sophomore tackles were so worried about getting beat on the edge that they had numerous false starts. Our ?Cerebral? HC kept trying to run the ball between the tackles vs 7-8 man fronts. We could have gotten to the edge all night, but we chose not to call plays to get people in space. Our defense was extremely passive, and Shoop called a HORRIBLE game. WE should have been putting 8 in the box, and daring them to beat us in the air. We didn?t blitz nearly enough, thus allowing them to force their will upon us. One more thing, when Fitz hits a WR in the hands THEY have to catch it. NONE of their LBERS could cover our RBs out of the backfield either. We threw 3-4 passes to them, all for solid gains. Hill needs no less then 15-20 touches a game....period!

This is a great post. We should have rode Hill to the end zone, especially given the weather. I feel like we just played a game with handcuffs on.

Todd4State
09-22-2018, 11:17 PM
It would be a huge achievement to accumulate more talent than we currently have. This team is loaded.

We have talent but Fitz is immature and isn't a good leader. Good at RB. Decent at WR but kind of young and we're just now started to repair a depleted position group. TE is good. OL has talent but the offensive tackles are sophomores and one should be at guard but isn't because of depth. DL is outstanding. LB is OK but lacks some depth. CB is OK but lacks depth. Good at safety.

Maybe loaded by our historical standards- but definitely with some room to improve.

HoopsDawg
09-22-2018, 11:17 PM
I’m not saying we are going to lose the next 2 or 3 games, but some of you guys need to get your heads out of your asses. We had multiple upper classmen get unsportsmanlike-like penalties. Our sophomore tackles were so worried about getting beat on the edge that they had numerous false starts. Our “Cerebral” HC kept trying to run the ball between the tackles vs 7-8 man fronts. We could have gotten to the edge all night, but we chose not to call plays to get people in space. Our defense was extremely passive, and Shoop called a HORRIBLE game. WE should have been putting 8 in the box, and daring them to beat us in the air. We didn’t blitz nearly enough, thus allowing them to force their will upon us. One more thing, when Fitz hits a WR in the hands THEY have to catch it. NONE of their LBERS could cover our RBs out of the backfield either. We threw 3-4 passes to them, all for solid gains. Hill needs no less then 15-20 touches a game....period!

I can't argue with anything in this post.

smootness
09-22-2018, 11:19 PM
We have talent but Fitz is immature and isn't a good leader. Good at RB. Decent at WR but kind of young and we're just now started to repair a depleted position group. TE is good. OL has talent but the offensive tackles are sophomores and one should be at guard but isn't because of depth. DL is outstanding. LB is OK but lacks some depth. CB is OK but lacks depth. Good at safety.

Maybe loaded by our historical standards- but definitely with some room to improve.

Everybody who isn't Bama has room to improve. Realistically? It would take a Herculean effort at Mississippi State to compile a team clearly more talented than the one we have right now.

Todd4State
09-22-2018, 11:19 PM
One thing I've never understood about our football program. We play like absolute dog crap when our players get full of themselves every time. Other programs seem to be able to get that attitude and still play well. Heck, KY had a cocky ass team tonight and played their best game against us in years.

I never have either. In the past I think some of it was Jackie's "can only get the team up for three games mantra", Croom was just bad and then Dan wussed out in big games and the team fed off of that. Then tonight I think was about running our mouths and not being able to back it up.

HoopsDawg
09-22-2018, 11:20 PM

Our WRs can't beat man coverage. Our best WR caught about 15 balls last year in Juco. We have a RT who should be at guard. And our 2 LTs had no chance tonight. None. We made Allen look like Derrick Thomas.

Dawg2003
09-22-2018, 11:20 PM
The lack of discipline makes me worried that we have a culture problem. If you have 4 unsportsmanlike calls against KY of all teams, that's a coach not in control of his team.

smootness
09-22-2018, 11:21 PM
Our WRs can't beat man coverage. Our best WR caught about 15 balls last year in Juco. We have a RT who should be at guard. And our 2 LTs has no chance tonight. We made Allen look like Derrick Thomas.

Most of what you're saying is only suddenly now an issue. No one was saying these things before tonight.

msstate7
09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Our WRs can't beat man coverage. Our best WR caught about 15 balls last year in Juco. We have a RT who should be at guard. And our 2 LTs had no chance tonight. None. We made Allen look like Derrick Thomas.

Funny the oline didn't look bad last season. Think maybe Johnson ain't no Hev?

Todd4State
09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Everybody who isn't Bama has room to improve. Realistically? It would take a Herculean effort at Mississippi State to compile a team clearly more talented than the one we have right now.

Not really. It's more about better effort in recruiting and better roster management than anything. We've missed way too much on in state players that could have made a difference. Add Cam Akers, AJ Brown, and Scott Lashley to this team and it's an even better team on offense- which is what mostly killed us tonight. Not to mention the DT from Meridian that went to Alabama that was committed to us for an hour whose names escapes me at the moment.

Todd4State
09-22-2018, 11:23 PM
Funny the oline didn't look bad last season. Think maybe Johnson ain't no Hev?

You are forgetting the Georgia, Auburn, and Charleston Southern games from last year.

msstate7
09-22-2018, 11:24 PM
Not really. It's more about better effort in recruiting and better roster management than anything. We've missed way too much on in state players that could have made a difference. Add Cam Akers, AJ Brown, and Scott Lashley to this team and it's an even better team on offense- which is what mostly killed us tonight. Not to mention the DT from Meridian that went to Alabama that was committed to us for an hour whose names escapes me at the moment.

Has that improved this year? This highly regarded miss class seems to wanna travel interstates

msstate7
09-22-2018, 11:25 PM
You are forgetting the Georgia, Auburn, and Charleston Southern games from last year.

Georgia 177 rushing yards
Auburn 194 rushing yards
Tonight 56 rushing yards

BuckyIsAB****
09-22-2018, 11:26 PM

Agreed. Moorhead hid in the corner tonight. Can you picture what Saban or Smart or hell even Jimbo wouldve done to some of our kids with the shit they were pulling tonight???

Moorhead showed 0 emotion. None. He sat there like a bump on a log

Liverpooldawg
09-22-2018, 11:31 PM

We are, have been, and always will be, a blue collar program. When we get away, even a little bit, from that "we have to work our ass off for everything we get" mindset we always fall flat. Hype is kryptonite to that mindset. The only time we have ever withstood it for even a little bit was due to Dak. It had nothing to do with Mullen.

HoopsDawg
09-22-2018, 11:39 PM
We are, have been, and always will be, a blue collar program. When we get away, even a little bit, from that "we have to work our ass off for everything we get" mindset we always fall flat. Hype is kryptonite to that mindset. The only time we have ever withstood it for even a little bit was due to Dak. It had nothing to do with Mullen.

We had a lot of swag in the JLD-Smoot years.

HoopsDawg
09-22-2018, 11:40 PM
Most of what you're saying is only suddenly now an issue. No one was saying these things before tonight.

Half this board has been talking about our WRs for months.

maroonmania
09-22-2018, 11:43 PM
Agreed. Moorhead hid in the corner tonight. Can you picture what Saban or Smart or hell even Jimbo wouldve done to some of our kids with the shit they were pulling tonight???

Moorhead showed 0 emotion. None. He sat there like a bump on a log

Its quite a culture change to go from a hard-ass, up in your grill coach like Mullen and his staff to the laid back, I'm your buddy style of JoMo and his staff. I'm afraid tonight we saw a little of the inmates running the asylum with the out of control extra curricular crap that cost us dearly.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2018, 12:11 AM

Agree. I've never understood it either. Alabama and LSU don't have that problem and we all recruit basically kids from the same area.

I've been concerned about selfishness on this team for sometime.

bulldawg28
09-23-2018, 06:59 AM
This is a good post.

My biggest concern is that this may very well be the most talented team Moorhead ever has, & that?s what we got tonight.

My biggest concern isn?t that we lost, it?s that we looked completely inept in making any adjustments to get something going. I get that happening vs Bama but not vs Kentucky. Then you throw the penalties on top of it all, & it?s clear that he?s either 1. Way too light on them or 2. The players are taking advantage of the staff.

I guarandamntee you Mullen wouldn't have lost that game. He would have pounded their ass into oblivion running the football.

Sienfield
09-23-2018, 07:28 AM
I guarandamntee you Mullen wouldn't have lost that game. He would have pounded their ass into oblivion running the football.

Well, he did, and at home about two weeks ago.

gravedigger
09-23-2018, 07:49 AM

Unsportsman like penalties were players losing composure.

You are misunderstanding how Joe's offense works. If Joe simply calls a play and the offense runs it, then the play only works if the defense stays in the position they are showing before the play was called. THe offense is only effective if the qb can look at the defense and make the adjustment presnap and sometimes post snap. Fitz did neither. THe defensive end that was getting to us could have been neutralized easily. But the qb didnt read that and he got to us. Heck, half the time he overran the play and himself out of it. Fitz ran right by him on the TD.

Stoops decided to shift the defense on EVERY play. THat meant that if the play was called based on the allignment of the defense initially, it was going to be based on bad info. The QB has to entice them to move and then call the play and make a POST snap read that takes advantage of the defensive alignment at the snap.

This is going to hurt some feelings around here, but Fitz's talent just doesnt translate into the kind of decision making that position requires under Moorhead.

On defense, they just need to keep their composure. Actually, I thought they played very well for 3 quarters. THe punter stunk and UK had great field position all game.

Thick
09-23-2018, 08:16 AM

You are misunderstanding how Joe's offense works. If Joe simply calls a play and the offense runs it, then the play only works if the defense stays in the position they are showing before the play was called. THe offense is only effective if the qb can look at the defense and make the adjustment presnap and sometimes post snap. Fitz did neither. THe defensive end that was getting to us could have been neutralized easily. But the qb didnt read that and he got to us. Heck, half the time he overran the play and himself out of it. Fitz ran right by him on the TD.

Stoops decided to shift the defense on EVERY play. THat meant that if the play was called based on the allignment of the defense initially, it was going to be based on bad info. The QB has to entice them to move and then call the play and make a POST snap read that takes advantage of the defensive alignment at the snap.

This is going to hurt some feelings around here, but Fitz's talent just doesnt translate into the kind of decision making that position requires under Moorhead.

On defense, they just need to keep their composure. Actually, I thought they played very well for 3 quarters. THe punter stunk and UK had great field position all game.

Bottom line is this game really exposed some areas of concern offensively, defensively, and definitely coaching. We got whipped on both sides of the ball in the trenches. If things don’t improve quickly, then we will have several more losses on this schedule. If opponents talk shit on social media we’re done!!

Red Sox Dawg
09-23-2018, 08:35 AM

Spot on. Some of our fans had unrealistic expectations for this team. Same roster, talent problems, and deficiencies. Better team won last night. Joe has to recruit players for his system...OL and WR to name a couple. To win in the SEC you must have really good to elite OL and DL, the Jimmy's and the Joe's. We aren't anywhere near that good on the OL. We are closer on the DL, but still not there. The real question is can Moorhead recruit good enough players to take us up a level.

Dawgfan77
09-23-2018, 08:42 AM
Well, he did, and at home about two weeks ago.

He meant with this team

Dawgfan77
09-23-2018, 08:44 AM
Bottom line is this game really exposed some areas of concern offensively, defensively, and definitely coaching. We got whipped on both sides of the ball in the trenches. If things don’t improve quickly, then we will have several more losses on this schedule. If opponents talk shit on social media we’re done!!
Joe got exposed for what he is basically a soft coach. I don?t expect a turnaround this year. I feel like it will be a struggle to get to 6 wins. Ask yourself this. Besides Luke who is joe gonna out coach. I think stoops is a weak HC and he just blew the doors off of us. Now look at the schedule. Hell LA tech scares me today.

Op4isabitch
09-23-2018, 08:54 AM

Perfect synopsis in my opinion.

Activated Alpha
09-23-2018, 09:02 AM
The one play where Kentucky had a unsportmanslike penalty called on them was because the center grabbed Simmons' groin as he was falling by. That kind of dirty ass plays were going on all night and could have led to our guys losing their composure. Doesn't excuse it, but some of their players needed their heads bashed in

cheewgumm
09-23-2018, 10:45 AM
Fact is this is the most talent on one team we have had in many many years. If I could sum up tHe one charge Moorhead had preseason it would be ?Dont screw it up?.

He just did.

You can say it?s not the end of the world , etc, but we as fans have been led to believe we are going 11-1, 10-2. We?re not.

So essentially, we have squandered our most talented team ever ( if you believe they are the most talented).

AlSwearengen
09-23-2018, 11:19 AM

This is just a bad post.

BrunswickDawg
09-23-2018, 11:45 AM
Spot on. Some of our fans had unrealistic expectations for this team. Same roster, talent problems, and deficiencies. Better team won last night. Joe has to recruit players for his system...OL and WR to name a couple. To win in the SEC you must have really good to elite OL and DL, the Jimmy's and the Joe's. We aren't anywhere near that good on the OL. We are closer on the DL, but still not there. The real question is can Moorhead recruit good enough players to take us up a level.

People also need to get past this belief that we have far superior talent to Kentucky. Kentucky has been recruiting at basically our level under Stoops. Our 5 year average per player on 247 is 86.5; Kentucky is at 85.82. That?s not a gap in talent.

We all fell for the hype and chose to ignore we are the same team we have been the last decade. Talented, with flaws that make us swing from 6-8 wins a year based on schedule.