PDA

View Full Version : Starting Auburn WR Leaves Team

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2018, 04:44 PM
This new redshirt rule is having an interesting effect.

Things don't look so good on the plains.

https://twitter.com/aldotcomsports/status/1042886922715258885?s=21

Dawg61
09-20-2018, 05:07 PM
I like this thread

smootness
09-20-2018, 05:14 PM
Eh, kind of a stretch to call him a starter at this point.

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2018, 05:16 PM

?

PCHSDawg
09-20-2018, 05:29 PM
Comments section in that article makes for good reading.

GreenheadDawg
09-20-2018, 05:46 PM

No it’s really not

Hambone
09-20-2018, 05:53 PM
When the offense took the field for the first time, was he on it? That, by definition, is a starter..... not hard to understand

dawgday166
09-20-2018, 05:58 PM
Gus needs to take some notes from Saban. Saban don't let anyone leave that doesn't want to be there, unless they go to Siberia to play football maybe .. and that's only if they are about 4th string or so.

smootness
09-20-2018, 06:07 PM
When the offense took the field for the first time, was he on it? That, by definition, is a starter..... not hard to understand

I honestly don't know and kind of doubt it. He had 2 catches in game 1 and has registered exactly 0 stats since.

msstate7
09-20-2018, 06:19 PM
I honestly don't know and kind of doubt it. He had 2 catches in game 1 and has registered exactly 0 stats since.

Still, they had 6 WRs that have caught a pass this year. Now they have 5. An injury and they could really be getting thin

dawgday166
09-20-2018, 06:33 PM
Still, they had 6 WRs that have caught a pass this year. Now they have 5. An injury and they could really be getting thin

That's what I was talking about. Saban would never allow his depth to be threatened by pre-grad transfers. He'll squash it for most any player.

He doing all kinds of psychological stuff on Hurts cause Hurts ain't no 2nd string WR ... Saban don't want to publicly lose that battle with someone who is 28 - 2 or something like that as a starter.

Dawg61
09-20-2018, 06:48 PM
That's what I was talking about. Saban would never allow his depth to be threatened by pre-grad transfers. He'll squash it for most any player.

He doing all kinds of psychological stuff on Hurts cause Hurts ain't no 2nd string WR ... Saban don't want to publicly lose that battle with someone who is 28 - 2 or something like that as a starter.

Hurts has looked way better this year too. He's 28-2 and getting better. He really needs to redshirt this year and go play somewhere for 2 years that'll get him drafted in the top 3 rounds. I think he has that potential. It's time to start thinking about his football after daddy Satan isn't around. He's probably scared to death of Lil Nick Satan.

Homedawg
09-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Hurts has looked way better this year too. He's 28-2 and getting better. He really needs to redshirt this year and go play somewhere for 2 years that'll get him drafted in the top 3 rounds. I think he has that potential. It's time to start thinking about his football after daddy Satan isn't around. He's probably scared to death of Lil Nick Satan.

If he plays two years wo Alabama talent around him, he will show he's not a draft pick much less a top 3 rounder. There's a reason saban said in the spring game, "after 3 years and still can't complete that pass". Over rated.

TrapGame
09-20-2018, 07:32 PM
His brother left the team today too. He was a 3* CB.

justwin
09-20-2018, 09:49 PM
Let me guess...when we beat them as a top 10 team this year and they finish 8-4, the party line becomes they were avg etc despite a massive amount of unwarranted preseason hype being grouped with Bama and Uga.

TUSK
09-20-2018, 11:42 PM
Gus needs to take some notes from Saban. Saban don't let anyone leave that doesn't want to be there, unless they go to Siberia to play football maybe .. and that's only if they are about 4th string or so.

Look here, You Muthaphukin SOB!!!!!!!,,, I'll tell you wha....

Huh? Oh, shit!!!!!

http://britishseafishing.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/RS-Mackerel-Treble-Hook.jpg

TUSK
09-20-2018, 11:45 PM

there's a lotta "no" in that post, IMO....

I do agree that Hurts has thrown the ball better this year tho... but there was only one direction for him to go as a "passer"....

dawgday166
09-21-2018, 07:01 AM
Look here, You Muthaphukin SOB!!!!!!!,,, I'll tell you wha....

Huh? Oh, shit!!!!!

http://britishseafishing.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/RS-Mackerel-Treble-Hook.jpg

Dude .. I got sunburnt waiting to land you on that one ** Token probably still swimming around eyeballing it lol.

LC Dawg
09-21-2018, 09:04 AM
This is week 4 of the season. There are a lot of backups out there who think they should be starters. If these backups play in all 4 of the games played they know they can still redshirt. I'm curious to see if we have a ramp up in transfers announced next week.
I don't think it will be a lot but I do think some more transfers will happen because of the 4 game rule.
I think it will happen more in future seasons because the players will have put more thought into it.

Jack Lambert
09-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Hurts will quit Bama.

TUSK
09-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Hurts will quit Bama.

I'm really interested to see what happens, Jack... Here are the options (there may be others, I dunno):

1) Hurts plays his 4th game vs Texas A&M, quits the team and transfers in December.
2) Hurts finishes the season then transfers.
3) Hurts stays at Bammer.

I'm leaning to #2 for the moment.

Commercecomet24
09-21-2018, 11:41 AM
I'm really interested to see what happens, Jack... Here are the options (there may be others, I dunno):

1) Hurts plays his 4th game vs Texas A&M, quits the team and transfers in December.

I think 2 is most likely as well,

HoopsDawg
09-21-2018, 11:47 AM

Do you think Hurts has let Saban know his intentions? If I was Hurts, I would have told Saban that I'm transferring in December and I want to have 2 years of eligiblity remaining. But I also want to be there to help the team this year. So if Tua gets hurt, I'm there. Personally, I think it was a dick move/dumb move to play Hurts vs Arkansas State. I kind of get it vs UL and Ole Miss.

TUSK
09-21-2018, 12:11 PM
Do you think Hurts has let Saban know his intentions? If I was Hurts, I would have told Saban that I'm transferring in December and I want to have 2 years of eligiblity remaining. But I also want to be there to help the team this year. So if Tua gets hurt, I'm there. Personally, I think it was a dick move/dumb move to play Hurts vs Arkansas State. I kind of get it vs UL and Ole Miss.

I'm just speculating, but my guess is that this was decided long ago. I think Hurts is a "team guy" and is willing to give up a year of eligibility for his current team.

I halfway expected MDL to "save" Hurts (less 4 games) for emergency purposes and/or the IB & the post season, but obviously that's not the case.

Regardless, Saban is gonna do what's best for the team... and that's what he should do, IMO...

Jack Lambert
09-21-2018, 12:47 PM
If his goal is to get to the NFL he needs two years.

Dawg61
09-21-2018, 12:51 PM
I'm guessing Hurts stays this year. Pretty tough to transfer when you're one snap away from being the starting QB for the National Champ favorite. He'll graduate at the end of the year and be able to transfer and start next year at about 100 schools to choose from.

TUSK
09-21-2018, 12:58 PM
This article is recent and sums it up, I think:

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/24748314/nick-saban-says-tua-tagovailoa-jalen-hurts-continue-playing-crimson-tide

"Every time I've talked to Jalen since the season started, he said, 'Coach, I want to play,' and has never said otherwise," MDL said. "He's done everything we've asked him to do. He's never asked not to play in a game. He says he's ready to play and has practiced well and prepared well. Jalen's a competitor, and the kids on this team respect him. They respect both quarterbacks.

"And I think it says a lot about both kids that neither one of them has ever said a bad word about the other."

it's all much ado 'bout nuthin'...

dawgday166
09-21-2018, 01:07 PM

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/24748314/nick-saban-says-tua-tagovailoa-jalen-hurts-continue-playing-crimson-tide

"Every time I've talked to Jalen since the season started, he said, 'Coach, I want to play,' and has never said otherwise," MDL said. "He's done everything we've asked him to do. He's never asked not to play in a game. He says he's ready to play and has practiced well and prepared well. Jalen's a competitor, and the kids on this team respect him. They respect both quarterbacks.

"And I think it says a lot about both kids that neither one of them has ever said a bad word about the other."

You tempting me to throw another big hook out there *

fishwater99
09-21-2018, 01:21 PM

Jalen may not be the smartest QB around.

TUSK
09-21-2018, 01:23 PM
You tempting me to throw another big hook out there *

Try this...

https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0004/52447/varieties/w310.jpg

dawgday166
09-21-2018, 01:36 PM
Try this...

https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0004/52447/varieties/w310.jpg

Good idee ... I put that in my repertoire.

BhamDawg205
09-21-2018, 05:28 PM
Wasn't in already stated Jalen, Saban, and dad came to an agreement... Jalen plays his 4 games and transfer with 2 yrs left? At least that was the talk on local 94.5 Jox here in Birmingham, a couple of weeks ago.

ShotgunDawg
09-21-2018, 06:22 PM
Wasn't in already stated Jalen, Saban, and dad came to an agreement... Jalen plays his 4 games and transfer with 2 yrs left? At least that was the talk on local 94.5 Jox here in Birmingham, a couple of weeks ago.

I can’t imagine that’s the case or Bama would’ve saved Hurts’ 4 games for later in the season in the event that Tua was injured.

TUSK
09-21-2018, 11:49 PM

JOX is pretty in tune, but they were likely speculating...

One thing is for certain: Jalen's dad IS NOT in charge of this situation... MDL is.

That being said, Jalen will either A) help the team, or B) quit.

We aren't designing a frickin' wing for NASA here, fellas... this shit is simple, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek5Rp5Dd8TA

dawgday166
09-22-2018, 10:07 AM
JOX is pretty in tune, but they were likely speculating...

One thing is for certain: Jalen's dad IS NOT in charge of this situation... MDL is.

That being said, Jalen will either A) help the team, or B) quit.

We aren't designing a frickin' wing for NASA here, fellas... this shit is simple, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek5Rp5Dd8TA

Quit --- is that sorta like leaving contract in Miami to go coach in a place where all the advantages are in your corner?

The graduate transfer rule is a distinct advantage for Saban. Without it, 2015 natty probably don't happen.

Saw where Saban was doing a little whining about the redshirt rule now ... that upperclassmen are "taking advantage" of it and using it to transfer out if they don't see playing time. The dude has every possible advantage and if something comes along where he doesn't have a clear and distinct advantage, he starts lobbying against it. Sorta like he was whining a few years back on spread offenses, cause he didn't have time to substitute his 5 and 4* players in his 3 deep and they could possibly get "hurt" against the other teams' 3 and 4* players who also weren't getting substituted for. Easier to "compete" when all the advantages are in your corner. Poor guy **

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gqFC3VWYKg

TUSK
09-22-2018, 10:12 AM
Quit --- is that sorta like leaving contract in Miami to go coach in a place where all the advantages are in your corner?

The graduate transfer rule is a distinct advantage for Saban. Without it, 2015 natty probably don't happen.

Saw where Saban was doing a little whining about the redshirt rule now ... that upperclassmen are "taking advantage" of it and using it to transfer out if they don't see playing time. The dude has every possible advantage and if something comes along where he doesn't have a clear and distinct advantage, he starts lobbying against it. Sorta like he was whining a few years back on spread offenses, cause he didn't have time to substitute his 5 and 4* players in his 3 deep and they could possibly get "hurt" against the other teams' 3 and 4* players who also weren't getting substituted for. Easier to "compete" when all the advantages are in your corner. Poor guy **

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gqFC3VWYKg

Now, that's how you Trawl.

bulldawg28
09-22-2018, 01:48 PM
I'm just speculating, but my guess is that this was decided long ago. I think Hurts is a "team guy" and is willing to give up a year of eligibility for his current team.

I halfway expected MDL to "save" Hurts (less 4 games) for emergency purposes and/or the IB & the post season, but obviously that's not the case.

Regardless, Saban is gonna do what's best for the team... and that's what he should do, IMO...

Sacrificing a year wouldn't make him a team guy. It would make him really stupid with decisions best for him.

TUSK
09-22-2018, 02:02 PM
Sacrificing a year wouldn't make him a team guy. It would make him really stupid with decisions best for him.

eh kay:rolleyes: