PDA

View Full Version : Want to Know Why This MSU Team Can Be Special?

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2018, 10:19 AM
We know about the DL, dynamic QB, and two dynamic RBs. All those things are great and, if Fitz can continue to grow in the passing game in Moorhead's offense, the sky is the limit.

However, all that is great and dandy but not necessarily what could allow this team to be special.

What allows this team to be special and significantly better than the 2014 team is the talent and physicality of our OL. It's one of the best in the country. You've got dynamic runners and speed on the outside with these 17ers leading it. MSU is ELITE in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Enjoy!

https://twitter.com/colecubelic/status/1042620849004662785?s=21

Bully13
09-20-2018, 10:31 AM
73 & 61 doing good work but not the RT

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2018, 10:41 AM
73 & 61 doing good work but not the RT

Could've been better but the dude kind of runs himself out of the play.

StateDawg44
09-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Is there a replay of this game anywhere?

Dental Dawg33
09-20-2018, 12:44 PM
Could've been better but the dude kind of runs himself out of the play.

Yea looks like he did fine. Screen cuts it off but looks like the defender just flew straight up field and was going to be sealed out by the RT and QB steps up.

Bully13
09-20-2018, 12:45 PM
Yea looks like he did fine. Screen cuts it off but looks like the defender just flew straight up field and was going to be sealed out by the RT and QB steps up.

Fitz was flushed out of the pocket immediately upon getting the snap due to the OT whiffing. This shit happens to every OL though. just saying.

Commercecomet24
09-20-2018, 01:34 PM
Thats some nasty OL play right there! I love it! Looks like our backup LT manhandled his man as well, watch what he does to the DE.

Coach 57
09-20-2018, 01:44 PM
As far as the OT’s looking like they got beat: What I see is the RT doing this that some times the OT’s allow the DE (per the scheme) to rush upfield & even aside the DE by using what’s called a “punch out”. It creates space & severe gaps because he (the DE) over runs the play & it allows for the gap to be between the OG & OT and even provides opportunity to allow your QB (if he’s mobile) to take off as well.

As far as the interior guys, I think we have 3 of the best interior guys you can have. They work very well together

Bully13
09-20-2018, 05:53 PM
As far as the OT’s looking like they got beat: What I see is the RT doing this that some times the OT’s allow the DE (per the scheme) to rush upfield & even aside the DE by using what’s called a “punch out”. It creates space & severe gaps because he (the DE) over runs the play & it allows for the gap to be between the OG & OT and even provides opportunity to allow your QB (if he’s mobile) to take off as well.

As far as the interior guys, I think we have 3 of the best interior guys you can have. They work very well together

thanks coach. I'm wondering if that gave Fitz an alley to run up the middle. Would like to see the rest of the play.

Love seeing that clip though. You don't often get a chance to see an OL get a few running steps to lay someone out like that. LA dude never knew what hit him.

MaroonFlounder
09-20-2018, 06:36 PM
Game is won or lost up front, both sides of the ball. DLine is ELITE. OLine is very good, and HAS potential to be great. Can not afford injury though.

RocketDawg
09-20-2018, 06:56 PM
One thing that makes this team special is that the new coach doesn't take his foot off the gas too early to guarantee a win.

Pit Bull
09-21-2018, 01:43 AM
We know about the DL, dynamic QB, and two dynamic RBs. All those things are great and, if Fitz can continue to grow in the passing game in Moorhead's offense, the sky is the limit.

However, all that is great and dandy but not necessarily what could allow this team to be special.

What allows this team to be special and significantly better than the 2014 team is the talent and physicality of our OL. It's one of the best in the country. You've got dynamic runners and speed on the outside with these 17ers leading it. MSU is ELITE in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Enjoy!

https://twitter.com/colecubelic/status/1042620849004662785?s=21

And I may be mistaken, but I think our OL has no 4 or 5 star players. I think Elgton Jenkins was a 2 star and the rest 3 star players. Ole Miss has a 5 star and a couple 4 star OL, yet they are way less effective than us. In fact, Greg Little was the #1 overall rated player in the nation when he signed with the Sharks.....bet he was wishing he stayed home at TAMU about now. But, he's so individually talented, he would go in the 1st round no matter where he played college ball.

dawgday166
09-21-2018, 07:08 AM
This team can be pretty good IMO. Tackles have been playing a little lazy at times. Clean that up, Fitz keeps making reads and throwing like the other night, add some Deion Sanders' type coverage and Ronnie Lott type hits in secondary, and stay healthy ... we'll win the natty.

After the Snell smack talk ... if we don't score in the 40's at least and hold Ky to 10 or so, I'll be disappointed. Physically, we should be way better than they are.

Bully13
09-21-2018, 07:19 AM
One thing that makes this team special is that the new coach doesn't take his foot off the gas too early to guarantee a win.

Good point.

The mentality of the HC plays a HUGE part. Playing to win at all times vs having your butt cheeks tighten up and playing not to lose. Being able to recognize your best mismatches and exploit and pound that mismatch relentlessly from all different angles. Keep 'em guessing and make 'em worry about it. Create panic and confusion.