PDA

View Full Version : College football fans from Oregon - Pilgrimage to Starkville!!

davegobeavs
09-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Hello to the Mississippi State faithful!!

13 years ago, three of my best friends and I started a tradition we call Fall's Cathedrals Tour. Essentially, we pick a stadium that we haven't visited previously, and plan a boys weekend, with the sole intent of getting to experience game day as if we were old alumni on a pilgrimage back to our alma mater. This year we are headed to Starkville to watch our (newly) beloved Dawgs beat the crap out of Arkansas on November 17th!

We have had some absolutely epic adventures and encounters during the last 13 years. Previous trips include: Penn State, Tennessee, Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, Mizzou, Wisconsin, Florida State, Auburn, South Carolina, LSU, and Texas A&M.

Our plan is simple, arrive in town blazing MSU gear, and try to cram as much bulldog experience into a 3 day weekend as humanly possible! This year we are flying into Memphis on Friday and driving straight to Starkville for Friday Saturday- returning to Memphis on Sunday to explore Beale Street.

Over the years what we have learned, is that our very best trips have been the ones where we have been able to connect with the local fans, to tailgate and talk college football with people that truly love their team. One of the best byproducts of this trip is the friendships we have developed with football fans across the country, and the confirmation that while this country can be divided by a multitude of political/social issues, what we have in common is way more important than what divides us. The people that we have met have absolutely become the best part of our trip!

Previous years adventures have included: Picture on the field with Chief Osceola at Florida State, Inside tour of the football facilities at Penn State, Holding the banner the team runs under at Auburn, drinking moonshine out of a mason jar in Tennessee, insider tour around ND, and even the local paper followed us around Tuscaloosa to document our trip http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/DA/20091108/News/606118466/TL/

A little more info about us: We are all close to 50 in age, 3 Oregon State Beaver fans, and 1 Duck (we let him come with us despite his obvious character flaw), we enjoy a beer (or 6), and LOVE college football!!

So here is where we need your help:

1. We would love to have a few tailgaters to stop by and talk MSU football with!! Do you have a an epic tailgate party we can join? We are not freeloaders, we would want to bring our fair share? maybe some Portland Bourbon?

2. Ideally we find a tailgate we can use as our base camp on game day?

3. What restaurants do the locals go to? From great dinners to hole in the wall breakfast places? we want it all!

4. What do all MSU fans do on game day weekend? What traditions should we know about on both Friday and Saturday?? what else?

5. Anything we should stop and see on our drive between Memphis and Starkville?

6. Where do the students party on Friday night and after the game?

7. What am I not asking that is important?!!

I?m looking forward to getting some input from the experts, thanks so much in advance for making the boys from Oregon feel welcome!! GO DAWGS!!

Dave

DL@TEAMLIVINGSTON.NET

starkvegasdawg
09-19-2018, 04:32 PM
3. Oby's

BulldogBear
09-19-2018, 04:44 PM
Two Brothers Smoked Meats just off University Drive. It's kind of small though so you'll want to get there early. I recommend the pimento cheese fritters, wings, and pulled pork grilled cheese. Plus there are multiple restaurants within easy walking distance if you opt for something else. And after the game, this area is definitely the place to be when the sun goes down.

Lord McBuckethead
09-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Hello to the Mississippi State faithful!!

13 years ago, three of my best friends and I started a tradition we call Fall's Cathedrals Tour. Essentially, we pick a stadium that we haven't visited previously, and plan a boys weekend, with the sole intent of getting to experience game day as if we were old alumni on a pilgrimage back to our alma mater. This year we are headed to Starkville to watch our (newly) beloved Dawgs beat the crap out of Arkansas on November 17th!

We have had some absolutely epic adventures and encounters during the last 13 years. Previous trips include: Penn State, Tennessee, Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, Mizzou, Wisconsin, Florida State, Auburn, South Carolina, LSU, and Texas A&M.

Our plan is simple, arrive in town blazing MSU gear, and try to cram as much bulldog experience into a 3 day weekend as humanly possible! This year we are flying into Memphis on Friday and driving straight to Starkville for Friday Saturday- returning to Memphis on Sunday to explore Beale Street.

Over the years what we have learned, is that our very best trips have been the ones where we have been able to connect with the local fans, to tailgate and talk college football with people that truly love their team. One of the best byproducts of this trip is the friendships we have developed with football fans across the country, and the confirmation that while this country can be divided by a multitude of political/social issues, what we have in common is way more important than what divides us. The people that we have met have absolutely become the best part of our trip!

Previous years adventures have included: Picture on the field with Chief Osceola at Florida State, Inside tour of the football facilities at Penn State, Holding the banner the team runs under at Auburn, drinking moonshine out of a mason jar in Tennessee, insider tour around ND, and even the local paper followed us around Tuscaloosa to document our trip http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/DA/20091108/News/606118466/TL/

A little more info about us: We are all close to 50 in age, 3 Oregon State Beaver fans, and 1 Duck (we let him come with us despite his obvious character flaw), we enjoy a beer (or 6), and LOVE college football!!

So here is where we need your help:

1. We would love to have a few tailgaters to stop by and talk MSU football with!! Do you have a an epic tailgate party we can join? We are not freeloaders, we would want to bring our fair share? maybe some Portland Bourbon?

2. Ideally we find a tailgate we can use as our base camp on game day?

3. What restaurants do the locals go to? From great dinners to hole in the wall breakfast places? we want it all!

4. What do all MSU fans do on game day weekend? What traditions should we know about on both Friday and Saturday?? what else?

5. Anything we should stop and see on our drive between Memphis and Starkville?

I?m looking forward to getting some input from the experts, thanks so much in advance for making the boys from Oregon feel welcome!! GO DAWGS!!

Dave

DL@TEAMLIVINGSTON.NET

1. The Junction has all the tailgating. The Ark game should be a good one. Bring beer and some snacks and just let people know you are from out of town and want to experience the MSU tailgating scene.

2. If I am tailgating, I will contact you and let you know where I am setting up.

3. Restaurants, depends on what you want for food. Restaurant Tyler is nice, Little Dooey has barbque but is over played if you ask me, Bulldog Burger, Two Brothers, Commodore Bobs, the Grill, Harveys, Veranda (my personal choice) and City Bagel.

4. Hang out at restaurant bars for Friday night, get to campus 5 hours before the game on Saturday. Campus is always rocking because the majority of our tailgating happens in the Junction and there always is an atmosphere. I would also add that our team does the dog walk in the Junction 2 hours and 15 minutes before the game.

5. Between Memphis and Starkville go through Tupelo and see Elvis birthplace. Eat at the Neon Pig while you are there.

6. Cotton District party after the game.

7. SEC football is awesome. Everyone is inviting and friendly. Be ready to talk football, women, and be ready to talk shit about Ole Miss. I wish you were coming into town for a different SEC game, but Ark shouldn't be that bad.

Liverpooldawg
09-19-2018, 04:54 PM
1. I don't tailgate so I can't help you there. You won't have any trouble finding one though.
3. Two Brothers Smoked Meats and Restaurant Tyler are my favorites. Obie's is an old staple from way back. Mugshots and Bulldog Burger are great for burgers.
4. The Junction and you need a cowbell. The Barnes and Noble next to the stadium and The Lodge in HWY 12 can fix you up.
5. If you are driving down I 22 to hit US 45 at Tupelo, the way I would go, don't miss the Tupelo Automobile Museum if you like cars. It's is NOT something you would expect to see in a place like Tupelo. It's a VERY impressive collection, no matter where it is.
6. I'm too old to know any more, lol!
7. I'll have to think on this. Maybe where to park, and good luck on that!

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2018, 04:55 PM
3. What restaurants do the locals go to? From great dinners to hole in the wall breakfast places? we want it all! You?ll want to focus on BBQ & Southern Cooking.

5. Anything we should stop and see on our drive between Memphis and Starkville? Elvis? birth home in Tupelo, Shiloh Battle Field isn?t too far off the path, &, if you want to contract syphilis, Oxford & Ole Miss are between Memphis & Starkville. Anthony?s in West Point is a great dinner place on your way in

6. Where do the students party on Friday night and after the game? Drink in the Cotton District

Are you Dave Bartoo?

Pit Bull
09-19-2018, 05:06 PM
Beale Street is good place to visit. A few pick pockets and beggars...so be alert. And.....don't be there real real late in the evening. I would leave around 10 pm. Gangs come in after that and cause trouble....including MS13.

A special suggestion from me would be to take the trolley ride from near Beale and head north to the Pyramid Arena which is now the new Bass Pro store and hotel. Amazing if you fellas are outdoors types who like hunting, fishing, boating, hiking, canoeing, camping, etc. Not sure what their hours of operation are on Sunday, but if you get there early Sunday afternoon, I would make an effort to go there and visit for a few hours. Amazing experience!

Dolphus Raymond
09-19-2018, 05:19 PM
Damn, y'all sound like a fun group to hang with. We are honored that MSU was chosen and you all picked a great year to come; we are good this year. How good? We should know in a few weeks.

dawgman
09-19-2018, 05:20 PM
The best restaurant is not actually in Starkville, but West Point, which is on HWY 45 alternate on the way from Tupelo abut 20 miles from Starkville. You need to get a reservation now if it is not already too late

drummerdawg
09-19-2018, 06:26 PM
1. We would love to have a few tailgaters to stop by and talk MSU football with!! Do you have a an epic tailgate party we can join? We are not freeloaders, we would want to bring our fair share? maybe some Portland Bourbon? The Junction is your place for tailgating. It's right by the stadium on the south end.

2. Ideally we find a tailgate we can use as our base camp on game day? Try to get to know some fans, I'm sure somebody will let you.

3. What restaurants do the locals go to? From great dinners to hole in the wall breakfast places? we want it all! Breakfast: Starkville Cafe or City Bagel. Brunch: Restaurant Tyler. BBQ: The Little Dooey (they're the most famous), they also have good catfish. Burgers: Bulldog Burger Co or Mugshots. Pizza: I like Daves Darkhorse Tavern. They will probably have live music but it usually takes a while to get your food. If you don't mind the wait then it could be a good place. They also have pretty good lamb gyro's too. Stromboli's is another good pizza/calzone place, it is a small place though. Steak/Seafood/Southern: The Veranda, Restaurant Tyler, or Harvey's. They're all very good and you won't be disappointed. Sandwich/Po'Boy: Obys is good. Nothing great but it's consistently good. The alligator po'boy is pretty good. Sweet Peppers is another sandwich place, it's basically McAllister's.

I know a lot of people will suggest Two Brothers, and it is good but be prepared because it's a tiny place and there will probably be a lot of people there over the weekend.

4. What do all MSU fans do on game day weekend? What traditions should we know about on both Friday and Saturday?? what else? Go to the Union and get some MSU ice cream. MSU makes their own and probably the only place you'll find muscadine ice cream. I'f possible go to the MAFES store across from the Junction and get some MSU cheese, it's legit. You have to bring a cowbell with you in the stadium, if not then you're not doing the game right. In fact, just carry the cowbell everywhere you go. Usually it's tradition for someone to buy your first cowbell but idk if you'll find someone to do that and if not then just buy your own. You ring the bell at opposing fans as they pass by to let them know they've been seen and are about to get their asses kicked. You also ring your bell when passing by another Bulldog as a greeting. Inside the stadium you respect the bell. That means you ring the hell out of it unless the opposing team's center is over the ball or when State is on offense.

5. Anything we should stop and see on our drive between Memphis and Starkville? Go from Memphis to Tupelo and see Elvis' birthplace and then on your way back to Memphis on Sunday stop and tour Graceland. Graceland is really cool and the museum has a lot of Elvis' old cars and motorcycles. Beale is a cool place and if you've got time I'd recommend touring Sun Studio. Tupelo also has a great car museum to check out if you've got time. If yall like to play golf, see about going out to Old Waverly. You can check out the Tennessee Williams home in Columbus which is pretty close by. Also, check out the the Ulysses S. Grant presidential library on campus. Oregon St seems to be a baseball school so check out our new baseball stadium that is the best in the country.

6. Where do the students party on Friday night and after the game? Cotton District

7. What am I not asking that is important?!! Parking

Bullsy
09-19-2018, 07:26 PM
A. What an awesome idea

B. Someone post junction pics for the 3 beavs (and 1 duck)

Tbonewannabe
09-19-2018, 07:26 PM
If you like a Muffaletta sandwich then Obys is the best you will get outside of New Orleans.

Dawg61
09-19-2018, 07:29 PM

This question depends on how shitty you want to get and wether you plan on having someone bail you outta jail. I recommend you get your party on during Saturday all day at the Junction tailgate scene right in front of the stadium. You'll have a blast and eat/drink as good as you can handle 100 yards from the football stadium. You can't miss it.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Full-Color-Gallery/i-JkR2bnW/0/90801e74/L/The_Junction-Final-0021-L.jpg
https://www.msstate.edu/sites/www.msstate.edu/files/junction_wide.jpg

This video gives you a good view of how easy and laid back it is to just walk around throughout the entire tailgate scene with zero hassle. This is several hours before the game. You can tell because it isn't like walking through a night club just yet. Notice all the red cups. Keep your alcohol in a cup and you won't get any hassle from the cops. Technically it's a dry campus but in reality it's as dry as the atlantic ocean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iXy6wksklM

Dawgbite
09-19-2018, 08:39 PM
The Automobile Museam in Tupelo is worth a visit if you have the time, it's supposed to be the largest private collection east of the Mississippi. Elvis birthplace is cool if you are a fan and doesn't take but a minute to see all two rooms! Tailgate tents can't be set up until the chapel bells chime 4 pm on Friday, the set up rush is pretty interesting. Since we are playing the Hogs, you are guaranteed to see at least one whole hog on the grill and enough pulled pork and ribs to feed an army. Southern hospitality originated in Mississippi so don't worry about a welcome place to eat and drink. You would probably get more invites wearing Beaver and Duck gear than you will wearing Bulldogs gear, we are a curious bunch. We are real concerned about how ya momma an nem been doin! Be sure to check out the new baseball stadium and see where your baseball coach could have spent his golden years.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
09-20-2018, 12:45 AM
Great idea about wearing Beav and Duck attire but make sure NOT to wear jerseys. This isn’t an NFL or Big 10 game - jerseys are fine for kids but a collard Beav/Duck shirt and/or sweat shirt with jeans is what you’ll want to wear to the game.

Anthony’s in West Point is where you’re going to want to have dinner Friday night - best restaurant in the Golden Triangle (this part of the state). Not sure if they take reservations but I’d call and check and get one if they do. https://www.anthonysgoodfoodmarket.com/

Hold off on any BBQ until you get back to Memphis Sunday. Little Dooey’s is ok but nothing great. Memphis is got some awesome BBQ.

Breakfast has been covered - Starkville Cafe one morning and City Bagel the other morning. http://www.thecitybagel.com/

Before leaving town, swing by The Lodge and get an MSU hat/t-shirt. I'd probably do this Saturday morning early after breakfast cause it gets crowded over there and I don't know that they are open on Sundays. Largest variety of MSU merchandise in town. https://thelodgeonline.com/

After The Lodge, be sure to walk down to the end of the strip mall and get you a blueberry caked donut at Shipley's https://www.shipleydonuts.com/

Be sure and eat at Two Brothers - thought they moved into their new/bigger location but maybe they haven’t. Maybe call ahead and get it to go and eat it on University Dr. http://twobrotherssmokedmeats.com/

Oby’s is another place you’ll want to eat if you have time. https://www.obys.net/index.php

Stop in and have a late night beer at Dave’s Dark Horse to say you’ve been there (bit of a dive in an old motel but a great place with good pizza by the slice late) http://davesdarkhorse.com/

Someone let these guys know what time last call is in town on Friday and Saturday - I can’t recall but think it might be different each night.

There is also a small speak easy downtown in the basement of Restaurant Tyler called The Guest Room. Cool place to check out and grab a cocktail or beer. http://eatlocalstarkville.com/wp/cocktails

Y'all absolutely need to go by and take a look at Dudy Noble Field....would be nice if someone on here with some pull could get y'all a tour Saturday before the game.

I’m jealous - wish I could get a few of my friends from college to start doing something like this.

One last thing. When someone says to you “Hail State!” you reply “Hell Yeah!”

Y’all travel safe, have a great time down here and let us know how your trip went once you get back to the PNW.

StateDawg44
09-20-2018, 07:35 AM
Great idea about wearing Beav and Duck attire but make sure NOT to wear jerseys. This isn’t an NFL or Big 10 game - jerseys are fine for kids but a collard Beav/Duck shirt and/or sweat shirt with jeans is what you’ll want to wear to the game.

Anthony’s in West Point is where you’re going to want to have dinner Friday night - best restaurant in the Golden Triangle (this part of the state). Not sure if they take reservations but I’d call and check and get one if they do. https://www.anthonysgoodfoodmarket.com/

Hold off on any BBQ until you get back to Memphis Sunday. Little Dooey’s is ok but nothing great. Memphis is got some awesome BBQ.

Breakfast has been covered - Starkville Cafe one morning and City Bagel the other morning. http://www.thecitybagel.com/

Before leaving town, swing by The Lodge and get an MSU hat/t-shirt. I'd probably do this Saturday morning early after breakfast cause it gets crowded over there and I don't know that they are open on Sundays. Largest variety of MSU merchandise in town. https://thelodgeonline.com/

After The Lodge, be sure to walk down to the end of the strip mall and get you a blueberry caked donut at Shipley's https://www.shipleydonuts.com/

Be sure and eat at Two Brothers - thought they moved into their new/bigger location but maybe they haven’t. Maybe call ahead and get it to go and eat it on University Dr. http://twobrotherssmokedmeats.com/

Oby’s is another place you’ll want to eat if you have time. https://www.obys.net/index.php

Stop in and have a late night beer at Dave’s Dark Horse to say you’ve been there (bit of a dive in an old motel but a great place with good pizza by the slice late) http://davesdarkhorse.com/

Someone let these guys know what time last call is in town on Friday and Saturday - I can’t recall but think it might be different each night.

There is also a small speak easy downtown in the basement of Restaurant Tyler called The Guest Room. Cool place to check out and grab a cocktail or beer. http://eatlocalstarkville.com/wp/cocktails

Y'all absolutely need to go by and take a look at Dudy Noble Field....would be nice if someone on here with some pull could get y'all a tour Saturday before the game.

I’m jealous - wish I could get a few of my friends from college to start doing something like this.

One last thing. When someone says to you “Hail State!” you reply “Hell Yeah!”

Y’all travel safe, have a great time down here and let us know how your trip went once you get back to the PNW.

This is it ^^^^

I'll add to get some cowbells before the game.

TheDawg205
09-20-2018, 07:50 AM
What game will yall be making the trip?

HoopsCoach21
09-20-2018, 08:32 AM
What game will yall be making the trip?

From the OP...

"13 years ago, three of my best friends and I started a tradition we call Fall's Cathedrals Tour. Essentially, we pick a stadium that we haven't visited previously, and plan a boys weekend, with the sole intent of getting to experience game day as if we were old alumni on a pilgrimage back to our alma mater. This year we are headed to Starkville to watch our (newly) beloved Dawgs beat the crap out of Arkansas on November 17th!"

TheDawg205
09-20-2018, 08:34 AM
From the OP...

"13 years ago, three of my best friends and I started a tradition we call Fall's Cathedrals Tour. Essentially, we pick a stadium that we haven't visited previously, and plan a boys weekend, with the sole intent of getting to experience game day as if we were old alumni on a pilgrimage back to our alma mater. This year we are headed to Starkville to watch our (newly) beloved Dawgs beat the crap out of Arkansas on November 17th!"

Pretty sad I actually scanned through figuring I read over it and still didn't see it. Thanks. I need another cup of coffee.

HoopsCoach21
09-20-2018, 08:40 AM
Pretty sad I actually scanned through figuring I read over it and still didn't see it. Thanks. I need another cup of coffee.

No problem...it happens.

As several others have stated I'm jealous of these guys. Seems like an awesome tradition. I'm still working on making my tour of watching us play in every SEC stadium. Maybe once I finish that I'll be able to branch out.

Culpritone16
09-20-2018, 08:41 AM
Have a cowbell handy.

Liverpooldawg
09-20-2018, 08:57 AM
Great idea about wearing Beav and Duck attire but make sure NOT to wear jerseys. This isn?t an NFL or Big 10 game - jerseys are fine for kids but a collard Beav/Duck shirt and/or sweat shirt with jeans is what you?ll want to wear to the game.

Anthony?s in West Point is where you?re going to want to have dinner Friday night - best restaurant in the Golden Triangle (this part of the state). Not sure if they take reservations but I?d call and check and get one if they do. https://www.anthonysgoodfoodmarket.com/

Hold off on any BBQ until you get back to Memphis Sunday. Little Dooey?s is ok but nothing great. Memphis is got some awesome BBQ.

Be sure and eat at Two Brothers - thought they moved into their new/bigger location but maybe they haven?t. Maybe call ahead and get it to go and eat it on University Dr. http://twobrotherssmokedmeats.com/

Oby?s is another place you?ll want to eat if you have time. https://www.obys.net/index.php

Stop in and have a late night beer at Dave?s Dark Horse to say you?ve been there (bit of a dive in an old motel but a great place with good pizza by the slice late) http://davesdarkhorse.com/

Someone let these guys know what time last call is in town on Friday and Saturday - I can?t recall but think it might be different each night.

I?m jealous - wish I could get a few of my friends from college to start doing something like this.

One last thing. When someone says to you ?Hail State!? you reply ?Hell Yeah!?

Y?all travel safe, have a great time down here and let us know how your trip went once you get back to the PNW.

Two Brothers hasn't moved yet. I'm not even sure construction has started. I'd second wearing your Beaver or Duck gear. You will probabaly get invites to tailgates as you walk by that way, esp if they have seen this thread.

Liverpooldawg
09-20-2018, 09:12 AM
http://www.tupeloautomuseum.com/index.php

They don't update their site much so what you see there isn't always exactly what you will find when you visit. I'm a member there so I know there are things on display somewhat permanently now which aren't listed. They usually have a temporary collection with a theme located on one end of the floor. The last time I was there back in August it was barnyard finds. They always do a Mustang one and a Corvette one during the year. If you are interested I can run by and see what the temporary is the weekend before you come. PM me if you are interested.

MaroonBelle
09-20-2018, 09:59 AM
Great idea about wearing Beav and Duck attire but make sure NOT to wear jerseys. This isn?t an NFL or Big 10 game - jerseys are fine for kids but a collard Beav/Duck shirt and/or sweat shirt with jeans is what you?ll want to wear to the game.

Anthony?s in West Point is where you?re going to want to have dinner Friday night - best restaurant in the Golden Triangle (this part of the state). Not sure if they take reservations but I?d call and check and get one if they do. https://www.anthonysgoodfoodmarket.com/

Hold off on any BBQ until you get back to Memphis Sunday. Little Dooey?s is ok but nothing great. Memphis is got some awesome BBQ.

Be sure and eat at Two Brothers - thought they moved into their new/bigger location but maybe they haven?t. Maybe call ahead and get it to go and eat it on University Dr. http://twobrotherssmokedmeats.com/

Oby?s is another place you?ll want to eat if you have time. https://www.obys.net/index.php

Stop in and have a late night beer at Dave?s Dark Horse to say you?ve been there (bit of a dive in an old motel but a great place with good pizza by the slice late) http://davesdarkhorse.com/

Someone let these guys know what time last call is in town on Friday and Saturday - I can?t recall but think it might be different each night.

I?m jealous - wish I could get a few of my friends from college to start doing something like this.

One last thing. When someone says to you ?Hail State!? you reply ?Hell Yeah!?

Y?all travel safe, have a great time down here and let us know how your trip went once you get back to the PNW.

Second all the recs here

Anthony's: be aware they only have beer but are BYO for wine or liquor. They do take reservations and they are recommended especially for game weekend.

Would also suggest The Biscuit Lady for breakfast or you could order some minis from her for game day and be welcome at any tailgate http://www.thebiscuitlady.com

If you are in Cotton District partying with the kiddos late night have the cheese fries at Bin612 (also their avacado fries are so good)

Def visit the Ulysses S. Grant museum and Collection of Lincolniana at Mitchell Memorial Library http://www.usgrantlibrary.org/

Also, the school has something called Maroon Memories that you can sign up for to purchase special access on game day, like tours or being on the field at different times during the game. Might be cool to commemorate visit...I would recommend the Don't Stop Believing on field experience. http://HailState.com/memories https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRvWl0E595U

dawgs
09-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Can y'all bring an around the world from oby's back to me in Portland? Thanks.

Also, if you like good beer, I'd recommend bringing your own, ha. Beer in ms has come a long way, but it isn't in the same universe as the good stuff out here. Yall can probably find someone to tailgate with real quick if you have some good Oregon beer to share.

The Junction is definitely the place to be Saturday before and immediately after the game. The cotton district (between campus and downtown) is the place to be Friday/Saturday night. Multiple bars/restaurants, so you can kinda bounce around depending on what you're looking for - others that are far more familiar than I am these days have mentioned specific restaurants. There's a cool speakeasy bar underneath restaurant Tyler that you enter from the alley behind the restaurant called the guest room. Good spot to get cocktails and a nicer meal in a cool space.

Oh yeah, go ducks!

Liverpooldawg
09-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Definitely go see the Grant and Lincoln Museum. There is some really amazing stuff in there.

RocketDawg
09-20-2018, 07:20 PM
http://www.tupeloautomuseum.com/index.php

They don't update their site much so what you see there isn't always exactly what you will find when you visit. I'm a member there so I know there are things on display somewhat permanently now which aren't listed. They usually have a temporary collection with a theme located on one end of the floor. The last time I was there back in August it was barnyard finds. They always do a Mustang one and a Corvette one during the year. If you are interested I can run by and see what the temporary is the weekend before you come. PM me if you are interested.

I didn't know there was an auto museum in Tupelo. We'll have to stop by there on one trip down this season.

Liverpooldawg
09-20-2018, 07:31 PM
I didn't know there was an auto museum in Tupelo. We'll have to stop by there on one trip down this season.

It's the largest collection east of the Mississippi. There are a lot of rare and ahead of their time cars there. It's not something you would expect to see in Mississippi.

RocketDawg
09-20-2018, 07:48 PM
It's the largest collection east of the Mississippi. There are a lot of rare and ahead of their time cars there. It's not something you would expect to see in Mississippi.

There's a pretty good one in Chattanooga too, but it's not well advertised. Admission is free. I can't remember the name offhand.

Is the one in Tupelo near Hwy 45?

Liverpooldawg
09-20-2018, 08:05 PM
There's a pretty good one in Chattanooga too, but it's not well advertised. Admission is free. I can't remember the name offhand.

Is the one in Tupelo near Hwy 45?

It's right off of 45 at Main. It's the green trimmed building between 45 and the BankcorpSouth Center. The lions share of the collection was that of the late Frank Spain. He owned several TV Stations, including the one in Tupelo his home town, and was one of the early movers in Comcast. One of his collector friend's collection was broken up and sold on his death and Mr. Spain didn't want that to happen to his. He donated the collection to the city on the condition they build a museum to house it. It's a really nice collection. You will see a lot of stuff that you won't see any place else, plus a lot of the old favorite classics. I became a member because they do 6-8 temporary exhibits every year with cars on loan to them. It was cheaper on me than paying every time. I think the admission is $10 for adults. It's worth it, and then some.

jbjones
09-20-2018, 08:13 PM
In the event it hasn't been mentioned ( haven't read the entire thread ), Mayhew Junction Brewery is located in Starkville. They're a very small brewery that does tours and tastings. You can find their brews at several joints in town as well.

https://www.mayhewjunction.com/

I'm sure if there's not a tour scheduled for that weekend, they may entertain it. It's a small shop, so an early contact may help your chances.

I think it's awesome what y'all are doing. I hope to see you on gameday!

craigmid
09-20-2018, 09:17 PM
The Little Dooey is a must.
Amphitheater tent 69. We will have plenty of food and drink.
It's right across from the SAE house on the sidewalk.

OldDawgNewTrick
09-21-2018, 03:21 PM
Random thoughts:

I agree to the suggestion to wear your schools shirts with a State visor or cap. Cowbells, requisite decals con be purchased at the bookstore next to the stadium. I would watch the Dawg Walk 2:15 prior to the game--watch for the team buses.

I think the best response to "Hail State!" is "Go Dawgs!"

My favorite dinner restaurants are Harvey's $$$ (next door to The Lodge for State gear/cowbells/shirts), The Veranda $$$, and my personal favorite, Tylers $$$ (downtown with a good bar in the basement for drinks before or after dinner).

For lunch or a $ or $$ meal I would recommend Mugshots downtown, Bin 612 in the Cotton District before or after the game and Friday night, City Bagel $ is unique and good and it's on University which is the street that runs from downtown thru the Cotton District and into campus. Also Commander Bob's, Central Station, Stromboli's, and Bulldog Burgers. Food will not be a problem.

Personally I would not recommend Dave's Dark Horse Tavern (can be a little rough but has live music and good pizza, and while Anthony's in West Point is very good, it is out of the way, and Oby's is also off the main drag enough to be inconvenient.

Check our Yelp for more ideas.

Welcome to Starkvegas!

Jack Lambert
09-21-2018, 03:54 PM
You just broke the BearSharks nation heart choosing Miss State over Ole Miss.

Dawgbite
09-21-2018, 05:36 PM
You just broke the BearSharks nation heart choosing Miss State over Ole Miss.

Should we hang a banner? Two 4 star Beavers, a 3 star Beaver, and a 3 star Duck, a pretty good haul!

davegobeavs
10-17-2018, 04:55 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Without question, the best part of the trip every year is the people we meet! It would be great to have a few tailgaters to stop by - anyone have a group that wouldn't mind the boys from Oregon crashing??

Dave
dl@teamlivingston.net

davegobeavs
11-14-2018, 02:36 PM
Looking forward to this weekend - thanks for all the advice!! If you see us wandering around make sure to say hello! If you are up for us swinging by your tailgate- reach out to me at dl@teamlivingston.net

Dave

robert
11-14-2018, 04:37 PM
Looking forward to this weekend - thanks for all the advice!! If you see us wandering around make sure to say hello! If you are up for us swinging by your tailgate- reach out to me at dl@teamlivingston.net

Dave

Stop by the Cheese store and take some MSU Edam back home with you. Easy to find, just ask anybody. There is a bunch that tailgate in front of the store that are lots of fun. They may have a whole hog cooking, who knows what. One year it was chittlins ( but don't let that scare you off ). You will find evrybody is friendly and all the snobs in Mississippi have been banished to oxford.

Mobile Bay
11-14-2018, 04:48 PM
4. Hang out at restaurant bars for Friday night, get to campus 5 hours before the game on Saturday. Campus is always rocking because the majority of our tailgating happens in the Junction and there always is an atmosphere. I would also add that our team does the dog walk in the Junction 2 hours and 15 minutes before the game.

Dude, you go a lot harder into the paint than I do if you start drinking at 6AM.

Jack Lambert
11-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Dude, you go a lot harder into the paint than I do if you start drinking at 6AM.

It might be 6AM here but their bodies are going to be saying 4AM.

Jack Lambert
11-14-2018, 05:17 PM

Dave

Out of curiosity are you driving into Starkville from Memphis, Jackson or somewhere else assuming you are flying?

davegobeavs
11-14-2018, 05:35 PM
I assure you- we will be well into the drinks by 8am!!!

Liverpooldawg
11-14-2018, 07:47 PM
I assure you- we will be well into the drinks by 8am!!!

I hate y'all got an 11am KO for your trip. That always puts a damper on everything, including the tailgating. It's the only one we have had all year, which is most unusual. We usually get two or more. At least it won't be blazing hot.

RocketDawg
11-14-2018, 08:05 PM
Out of curiosity are you driving into Starkville from Memphis, Jackson or somewhere else assuming you are flying?

In their opening post: "This year we are flying into Memphis on Friday and driving straight to Starkville for Friday Saturday- returning to Memphis on Sunday to explore Beale Street."

Dawgbite
11-14-2018, 09:21 PM
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

Jack Lambert
11-14-2018, 09:41 PM
In their opening post: "This year we are flying into Memphis on Friday and driving straight to Starkville for Friday Saturday- returning to Memphis on Sunday to explore Beale Street."

That was two months ago. Plans change.

RocketDawg
11-14-2018, 10:47 PM
That was two months ago. Plans change.

Bet they didn't tho. ;)

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-15-2018, 09:42 AM
1. The Junction has all the tailgating.......

WRONG

davegobeavs
11-15-2018, 10:04 PM
Bet they didn't tho. ;)

Flying into Memphis!

Dawg61
11-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Flying into Memphis!

If you sing this throughout the Memphis airport it'll bring you good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTVbf44HMkY

robert
11-17-2018, 04:52 PM
What a nice bunch! Hope you fellows had a good time in Starkvegas...come back soon. Enjoy Memphis! Have a safe trip home! May see you again at the College World Series.

Bob & Carole

Lord McBuckethead
11-17-2018, 06:40 PM
WRONG

Well the junction has grown to include the area south neqr Dorman and west down Russel street. Noted to say, not much big tailgating all over campus. It is more condensed with yhe Junction at the center.

Liverpooldawg
11-17-2018, 06:43 PM
The crowd was bigger than I thought it would be given the start time. I still wish these guys could have got night game. The tailgating scene isn't even close to what it really is for a morning game.