PDA

View Full Version : Blueribbon has MSU men's team preseason #11

starkvegasdawg
09-18-2018, 07:58 PM
https://blueribbonyearbook.com/blogs/news/blue-ribbon-college-basketball-yearbook-releases-preseason-top-25

Cooterpoot
09-19-2018, 01:00 AM
They’re drunk

dawgday166
09-19-2018, 06:43 AM
Not sure I'd start us out that high. That is getting some love IMO. Probably cause of Howland, and partially cause of Vic too.

msstate7
09-19-2018, 06:57 AM
I love this team. This is the year we put it all together

Dawg61
09-19-2018, 07:15 AM
It's not out of the realm of possibility this team is top 12 with how veteran we are. However we would need several guys to be playing at All-SEC level to warrant that ranking. Again not impossible that Holman, Spoon, Ado, Peters, Nick, Tyson and Perry can play at that level the trick is getting most or all of them to. We definitely have a tougher schedule this year which is a good thing. No more worrying about having to place top 4 in SEC just to make the dance. Now a top 4 SEC finish gets us a 5-6 seed in the dance.

https://hailstate.com/images/2018/8/24/August24MBKSchedule.jpg?width=1440&height=810&mode=crop

dawgday166
09-19-2018, 07:42 AM
I love this team. This is the year we put it all together

How to together is together? Final Four? Elite 8?

msstate7
09-19-2018, 07:50 AM
How to together is together? Final Four? Elite 8?

Sweet 16 or better. I'm usually on the pessimistic side, but I love this team. I think ado and nick become stars this season.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-19-2018, 07:52 AM
This team is going to be very very good.

LC Dawg
09-19-2018, 08:01 AM
I think Holman is going to have a great year for us. There were times last year when he looked all-sec and then other times when he looked almost disinterested.

Liverpooldawg
09-19-2018, 08:03 AM
The next step is just making the real tournament. That would be a big accomplishment.

Dawg61
09-19-2018, 08:34 AM
We have a bunch of decent teams in OOC, Hartford, Arizona State, St. Mary's, Dayton, Clemson, Cinncy, Wofford, Wright State and BYU are all top 100 type teams. Even Austin Peay is scrappy. Clemson, Cinncy, Arizona State and BYU are probably the 4 toughest. 3 of those 4 probably make the tourney with maybe only ASU missing it but ASU brings in a top 10 recruiting class and a 5* McDonald's AA in Cherry this year. Plus they played really well for Bobby Hurley at the beginning of last year so he can coach em up. I love this OOC schedule.

Cooterpoot
09-19-2018, 08:59 AM
Yeah, they're going to have to prove it to me. An NIT run isn't impressive. I get the higher expectations and we should be improved, but I don't see top 15. I really don't. But, they can change my mind this year. The last few years they couldn't.

Covercorner2
09-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Not sure I'd start us out that high. That is getting some love IMO. Probably cause of Howland, and partially cause of Vic too.

Vic?

Covercorner2
09-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Yeah, they're going to have to prove it to me. An NIT run isn't impressive. I get the higher expectations and we should be improved, but I don't see top 15. I really don't. But, they can change my mind this year. The last few years they couldn't.

They were a NCAAT team last year. That was apparent to anyone that was watching towards the end of the season. Unfortunately, the schedule wouldn't allow for it. That same team should be much improved.

Captain Falcon
09-19-2018, 09:14 AM
I think we’re a borderline Top 25 team at this point. We’ve still got a lot to prove. No NCAA tourney since 2009 and only one winning season since 2012. With that track record I’m shocked they have us at 11.

dawgday166
09-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Sweet 16 or better. I'm usually on the pessimistic side, but I love this team. I think ado and nick become stars this season.

I was thinking Sweet 16 maybe ... or possibly more. Still have thumping PSU laid on us last game in my mind tho. And they weren't that great ... pretty good tho. Kansas, Duke ... were on a whole nuther level.

Dawg61
09-19-2018, 10:06 AM
I was thinking Sweet 16 maybe ... or possibly more. Still have thumping PSU laid on us last game in my mind tho. And they weren't that great ... pretty good tho. Kansas, Duke ... were on a whole nuther level.

I think we have sweet 16 potential but that depends on our veterans stepping up and the draw we get in the tournament if we make it. The best team in the country lost to UMBC in the first round last year. Weird things happen in March.

dawgday166
09-19-2018, 10:13 AM
I think we have sweet 16 potential but that depends on our veterans stepping up and the draw we get in the tournament if we make it. The best team in the country lost to UMBC in the first round last year. Weird things happen in March.

VA may have had best record, but they were easily not the best team last year. They slow.

Johnson85
09-19-2018, 11:41 AM

They haven't "earned" a top 15 ranking obviously, but this is the type of team you would expect to potentially make a big jump. Lots of pretty good players, with some of the players with the most potential being freshmen or high school seniors last year. Coach with a good track record for development. Key upperclassmen.

The biggest risk is that since we don't have a clear superstar lead and second banana, and that is usually a problem in basketball, particularly when the game is on the line. Has to be a special group of players to click together without a clear heirarchy as far as who the go to players are.

StarkVegasSteve
09-19-2018, 11:44 AM
Anyone who watched this team from around February-end of the season shouldn't be surprised to see us ranked this high. This a veteran laden team with a star at PG in Peters. If we would've played any sort of a competitive non conference schedule last year we would've been a tourney team. Veteran teams are always dangerous, especially in March. I expect no less than the Round of 32 out of this team

smootness
09-19-2018, 11:58 AM
Can anyone just enjoy something? Our BASKETBALL team is ranked 11th by a neutral party, and we will likely be top 25 in the real polls to start the season. Who cares where we should actually be ranked, just enjoy it!

dawgday166
09-19-2018, 12:45 PM
Vic?

Just what he's done with women's program. Howland on same type trajectory maybe. Perception of programs really is what I meant.

dawgday166
09-19-2018, 12:47 PM
Anyone who watched this team from around February-end of the season shouldn't be surprised to see us ranked this high. This a veteran laden team with a star at PG in Peters. If we would've played any sort of a competitive non conference schedule last year we would've been a tourney team. Veteran teams are always dangerous, especially in March. I expect no less than the Round of 32 out of this team

Wanna see more consistency with Peters. He didn't play too well again PSU as near as I could recall, which surprised me.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-19-2018, 01:00 PM
Wanna see more consistency with Peters. He didn't play too well again PSU as near as I could recall, which surprised me.

You could've said that for pretty much the entire team that night.

Dawg61
09-19-2018, 01:00 PM
Anyone got any info on anybody we are recruiting for the 2019 class? Should have several spots available. We have some height on this team. 6 players are listed at 6'10 or 6'11.

msstate7
09-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Anyone got any info on anybody we are recruiting for the 2019 class? Should have several spots available. We have some height on this team. 6 players are listed at 6'10 or 6'11.

Howland not concerned with recruiting... he's retiring after he wins natty this year**

Ifyouonlyknew
09-19-2018, 01:08 PM

We have 2 Sr's (Q & Holman) & 1 underclassmen who likely goes pro (Lamar). So that's 3 spots. DJ Jeffries from Olive Branch is our #1 target he OV next week.

Dawg61
09-19-2018, 01:11 PM
DJ Jeffries from Olive Branch is our #1 target he OV next week.

https://media.giphy.com/media/5YbWBOm5CRwIxEhzog/giphy.gif

mparkerfd20
09-19-2018, 08:22 PM
Just saw a Lindy's magazine that has us at 8th. Only KY and TN from SEC ahead of us.

ZedFedder
09-20-2018, 06:53 AM
I believe this team will be very good. Peters is the key. If he plays to the level he can, it makes the whole thing go.

tcdog70
09-20-2018, 08:14 AM
Can anyone just enjoy something? Our BASKETBALL team is ranked 11th by a neutral party, and we will likely be top 25 in the real polls to start the season. Who cares where we should actually be ranked, just enjoy it!

Thanks Smoot--exactly. Damn we have fans that just can't grasp and enjoy the fact that our Dogs can be really good. I am very wooly and think we will be a top 10 team.

smootness
09-20-2018, 08:56 AM
Also, maybe take the fact that now multiple outlets have us as basically a top 10 team and realize that perhaps we have a negative bias regarding our team? Third parties who at least know something of what they're talking about (and know more about other teams throughout the country than we do) think we are going to be very, very good. Enjoy that and be excited.

jackindabox
09-20-2018, 01:13 PM
They also have Kentucky as number 1, when you would have to be nuts to have anybody other then duke as number 1 going into the season. I think the mens team is good and could easily get up into the top ten at some point in the season. I am exited about the team and would love to see them as preseason number 11 but I cant trust a poll that doesn't put duke as number 1.

smootness
09-20-2018, 01:32 PM
They also have Kentucky as number 1, when you would have to be nuts to have anybody other then duke as number 1 going into the season. I think the mens team is good and could easily get up into the top ten at some point in the season. I am exited about the team and would love to see them as preseason number 11 but I cant trust a poll that doesn't put duke as number 1.

Nobody has Duke #1. They're #3 or 4 behind Kansas and Kentucky by everybody that I've seen. Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, and Gonzaga seem to be a fairly consensus top 4, and everybody seems to have Kansas/Kentucky 1-2 in some order and then Duke/Gonzaga 3-4 in some order. Duke has crazy talent, but they're entirely reliant on 4 freshmen, while this is a year where Kentucky and Kansas actually have significant established talent along with a great freshman class.