PDA

View Full Version : Didnt know it was a unsportsmanlike penalty to throw up a fin......

Pit Bull
09-17-2018, 09:05 PM
.....BAMA RB, Jacobs gave a fins up to an Ole Miss defender after he scored a TD just before halftime. I think that's wrong. Now, if Jacobs had done it more than once and really got up in the guy's face....maybe an unsportsmanlike call. But I saw it and he did it one time real quick....should not be a penalty IMO. Refs are too sensitive. They let much worse taunting than that go all the time without interfering. So, it should be noted.....if you give a "fins up" sign to an Ole Miss player....you get penalized.

Todd4State
09-17-2018, 09:13 PM
I think what is really BS is to penalize a player for throwing up a landshark in an Ole Miss player's face that was trying to break his ankle intentionally.

At some point the SEC is going to have to start looking for that and throwing flags for unnecessary roughness.

The Ole Miss player is lucky the Alabama player didn't knock him out.

msstatelp1
09-17-2018, 09:22 PM
.....BAMA RB, Jacobs gave a fins up to an Ole Miss defender after he scored a TD just before halftime. I think that's wrong. Now, if Jacobs had done it more than once and really got up in the guy's face....maybe an unsportsmanlike call. But I saw it and he did it one time real quick....should not be a penalty IMO. Refs are too sensitive. They let much worse taunting than that go all the time without interfering. So, it should be noted.....if you give a "fins up" sign to an Ole Miss player....you get penalized.

While I agree that if OM is allowed to do it then the other team should be allowed, any time you do something like that facing an opponent, it's gonna get called. Would have been interesting to see if they called it if he had been facing the crowd.

KOdawg1
09-17-2018, 09:23 PM
The whole "fins up" thing is hilarious to me.

First off, the Ole Miss defensive players throw it up at the worst possible times. I think it was 49-7 in the 3rd quarter Saturday and OM had a TFL for literally the first time all game, and one of those dipshits threw it up. Like dude, you're getting skull drug at home, get some sense. They also did it last week when they were struggling to stop Southern Illinois.

Second, if the OM players aren't getting penalized for it, then why should the Bama player get flagged? There's no rule that says the landshark symbol is exclusive to only OM players.

TUSK
09-17-2018, 09:28 PM
I was ok with the penalty for the JoshFin, however, he wouldn't have had to drop said JoshFin if the OM defender didn't make Jacobs drag him 7 yards deep in the endzone by the ankle... Prolly shoulda been offsetting penalties...

I saw on one other occasion where an OM defender refused to let go well after the play was over...

REC not doin' werk.

mstatefan91
09-17-2018, 09:34 PM
It’s for taunting. If he does it facing his teammates then he’s likely ok.

That said, I’m surprised that the refs have been lenient with standing over the player just tackled and then stepping over them. I don’t really care. Just interesting where the line is

maroonmania
09-17-2018, 09:58 PM
It?s for taunting. If he does it facing his teammates then he?s likely ok.

That said, I?m surprised that the refs have been lenient with standing over the player just tackled and then stepping over them. I don?t really care. Just interesting where the line is

Don't think I've ever seen an OM player get penalized for it no matter how or where they do it. I think doing anything pre-scripted to draw attention to yourself after making a play, like the fins up move, should be penalized including every time an OM player does it. The only reason opposing players do it back to OM is that they get so pissed off with the OM players continually doing it and being allowed to.

TUSK
09-17-2018, 10:35 PM
Don't think I've ever seen an OM player get penalized for it no matter how or where they do it. I think doing anything pre-scripted to draw attention to yourself after making a play, like the fins up move, should be penalized including every time an OM player does it. The only reason opposing players do it back to OM is that they get so pissed off with the OM players continually doing it and being allowed to.

I'm ok with a few exceptions here and there as long as there isn't a definitive competitive advantage...

Todd4State
09-17-2018, 10:54 PM
If the SEC/NCAA allows Ole Miss to do their landshark BS we should be able to do the Dawg Pound Rock on the field where it belongs. Let the kickoff squad do it like they originally did in 1998.

TUSK
09-18-2018, 12:02 AM
If the SEC/NCAA allows Ole Miss to do their landshark BS we should be able to do the Dawg Pound Rock on the field where it belongs. Let the kickoff squad do it like they originally did in 1998.

Are cowbells part of that?

Bully13
09-18-2018, 06:46 AM
While I agree that if OM is allowed to do it then the other team should be allowed, any time you do something like that facing an opponent, it's gonna get called. Would have been interesting to see if they called it if he had been facing the crowd.

instead of the fins up, I reckon he shoulda just called him a cok sukin' biatch.

louisvilledawg
09-18-2018, 07:47 AM
instead of the fins up, I reckon he shoulda just called him a cok sukin' biatch.

Should've just called him a jive turkey.

Bully13
09-18-2018, 07:51 AM

Careful there Tusk. Visitors (even the well established ones) must use extreme caution when talking about our sacred Cowbells.

Liverpooldawg
09-18-2018, 08:44 AM
I see nothing wrong with the fins up. But both teams should be allowed to do it. Before you Rebs start, by all means bring your own bells, as long as you do it properly.

The ankle twisting and rolling stuff has to stop though. The SEC needs to reign Ole Miss in there.

shannondawg
09-18-2018, 08:50 AM
Just laughed in his face would have been sufficient.

NWADAWG
09-18-2018, 08:59 AM
Should be ejection just like targeting but would be much harder to officiate on the field. However, the rebs have had a couple where it were pretty obvious and those should get handled - 1 game suspension minimum. It seems strange to me that with all of the weird new rules to protect players, cameras everywhere, and every played reviewed in booth, they don't protect against obvious attempts to injure. I suggest each head coach should have 1 opportunity per season to request a review of a play. This would happen during the week following the game. If your review shows intent to injure, guilty player gets supsended for set time and coach gets another review. Just like challenging a call during a game.

Lord McBuckethead
09-18-2018, 09:31 AM
Should be ejection just like targeting but would be much harder to officiate on the field. However, the rebs have had a couple where it were pretty obvious and those should get handled - 1 game suspension minimum. It seems strange to me that with all of the weird new rules to protect players, cameras everywhere, and every played reviewed in booth, they don't protect against obvious attempts to injure. I suggest each head coach should have 1 opportunity per season to request a review of a play. This would happen during the week following the game. If your review shows intent to injure, guilty player gets supsended for set time and coach gets another review. Just like challenging a call during a game.

Guilty player suspended until the player attacked is back to full speed and production.

Lord McBuckethead
09-18-2018, 09:35 AM
Only issue with it is possibly ruining a person's career if the play looked bad, seems obvious, but the person didn't actually intend to injure someone.
Take Fitz for example. They tried on multiple carries and against Key as well later in the game. Everyone knew what it means when you lead with a forearm shiver to the lower leg. Everyone, even peewee players know what happens when you do that. Whenever you connect, you break bones or blow out a knee. Something will give. Like chopping wood with a splitting maul.

If it happened once in the game, I could say well the guy was out of position and just dove in there to make a play. It happened over and over again until they got him. Clear as day.

Lord McBuckethead
09-18-2018, 09:38 AM
I see nothing wrong with the fins up. But both teams should be allowed to do it. Before you Rebs start, by all means bring your own bells, as long as you do it properly.

The ankle twisting and rolling stuff has to stop though. The SEC needs to reign Ole Miss in there.

Isn't that just hawk tackling. Most people grab around the waist, but if all you can grab is an ankle, you grab and roll forcing the person down. The NCAA is worried about knee pads, they need to be worried about getting rolled up. Any lineman in here can tell you how bad that feels. Also, that is why almost all OL wear knee braces now. Still doesn't save you from a tackle falling on your heals and being pushed backwards by the DL, but it does keep your knee from taking all the force.

RougeDawg
09-18-2018, 10:27 AM
OM players throw the fin up all the time without penalty. If I were Bama I?d bring up a stink and either end it or say no penalty.

Guess they?ll won?t have much more to celebrate the rest of the season, so we probably won?t see it much more in 2018.

Ari Gold
09-18-2018, 10:58 AM

Is pumping noise thru the loud speakers part of that?

Ari Gold
09-18-2018, 11:00 AM
If we all think the fins up is embarrassing now wait till you see that defense Over the next few years.

TUSK
09-18-2018, 12:42 PM
Is pumping noise thru the loud speakers part of that?

Haven't been to a place where it wasn't.

Mimi's Babies
09-18-2018, 06:28 PM
I was ok with the penalty for the JoshFin, however, he wouldn't have had to drop said JoshFin if the OM defender didn't make Jacobs drag him 7 yards deep in the endzone by the ankle... Prolly shoulda been offsetting penalties...

I saw on one other occasion where an OM defender refused to let go well after the play was over...

REC not doin' werk.

The Bama guy should have knocked the crap out of him by stomping the hands.