PDA

View Full Version : 11-1 Playoff team

bulldawg28
09-17-2018, 09:07 AM
Do you think we need to go undefeated to make the playoffs? I think we could lose 1 game to a highly ranked team and still go.
Thoughts?

ShotgunDawg
09-17-2018, 09:10 AM
Too many unanswered questions depending on how many games UGA, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc lose.

Historically speaking, a 1 loss SEC team likely gets in the playoff, but it’s way too early to say exactly how it would happen.

BeardoMSU
09-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Too many unanswered questions depending on how many games UGA, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc lose.

Historically speaking, a 1 loss SEC team likely gets in the playoff, but it’s way too early to say exactly how it would happen.

We lose to Bama. They play an undefeated Georgia in the SEC championship. We would probably jump the loser of that game.

dawgday166
09-17-2018, 09:55 AM
Given that we are in exact scenario as Bama last year, OSU goes not us. Bama with 2 losses will go. AU, LSU, GA, FL, and maybe TN all probably go if same scenario as last year. Anyone else in SEC and OSU goes.

That's just the way it is.

ETA: Not sure how "historically speaking" a 1 loss SEC team goes. It happened for 1st time last year and it was Bama, whose place in the CFP is virtually locked in concrete, regardless. Bama goes unless they have 3 losses almost. I believe the others posted above are in with 1 loss, unless 3 other conference champs have 1 loss too. A 2 loss Bama team probably goes over a weaker 1 loss conference champ ... JMO.

Johnson85
09-17-2018, 10:03 AM
Do you think we need to go undefeated to make the playoffs? I think we could lose 1 game to a highly ranked team and still go.
Thoughts?

There are certainly scenarios where we would make the playoffs as a 1 loss team and probably more scenarios where we wouldn't.

I think the only certainty is that we would go to the playoffs as a 12-1 SEC conference champion. If we go 11-1 and then UGA beats a 12-0 Bama in the SEC CG, then we would not make it.

Although, with LSU showing up and A&M making a good show against Clemson, it's hard for me to imagine a one loss SECW team not deserving to be in the playoffs.

Lord McBuckethead
09-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Yes. Why leave it in the hands of the media. Just win the whole 17n thing and leave not doubt.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-17-2018, 10:11 AM
Ok simple enough then. Let's just win them all. smh

Dawg61
09-17-2018, 10:35 AM
Thoughts?

I think this season there's 4 teams that are locks to be undefeated come playoff time. Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State and I think Georgia is a lock to only have one loss so no I do not think we can make it this year with only one loss.

TUSK
09-17-2018, 11:15 AM
There are certainly scenarios where we would make the playoffs as a 1 loss team and probably more scenarios where we wouldn't.

I think the only certainty is that we would go to the playoffs as a 12-1 SEC conference champion. If we go 11-1 and then UGA beats a 12-0 Bama in the SEC CG, then we would not make it.

Although, with LSU showing up and A&M making a good show against Clemson, it's hard for me to imagine a one loss SECW team not deserving to be in the playoffs.

"If you don't win your conference, you aren't the best team in the country and you can't go to the playoffs."

somebody told me that, anyway... I was just tryin' it out... didn't feel natural...

dawgs
09-17-2018, 11:46 AM

I think the weakness of the big 10, acc, and pac 12 this season really puts pressure on those leagues to produce an undefeated champion to make the playoffs. Maybe Washington would be ok going 12-1 beating Oregon and Stanford along the way if auburn ends up like 10-2 and a top 10 team, but otherwise, I can't see many routes for a 1 loss champ from any of those conferences getting in without some help.

I'm usually one of those guys that doesn't beat the sec drum and put the sec head and shoulders over everyone else like a lot of sec fans do every year, justified or not, but the conference definitely looks head and shoulders about everyone else this year (Arkansas notwithstanding).

bulldawg28
09-17-2018, 12:52 PM
"If you don't win your conference, you aren't the best team in the country and you can't go to the playoffs."

somebody told me that, anyway... I was just tryin' it out... didn't feel natural...

Lol, we need the Bama treatment

sleepy dawg
09-17-2018, 01:29 PM
I think this season there's 4 teams that are locks to be undefeated come playoff time. Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State and I think Georgia is a lock to only have one loss so no I do not think we can make it this year with only one loss.

There are no locks.

Matty Dispatch
09-17-2018, 01:37 PM

You could go back to Week 3 of every season in college football history and come up with 4 locks to go undefeated in the regular season. Because for those four teams, they are better than everyone on their schedule. But it's college football and there will be upsets - you can book it.

Matty Dispatch
09-17-2018, 01:43 PM
Only two out of 16 teams in the CFP have made it without winning their conference: 2016 Ohio State and 2017 Alabama. It took Penn State being a 2-loss B1G champ and Alabama only losing a close rivalry game on the road to make it in. The odds are stacked against a 1-loss State team that doesn't win the West.

About the only way you'd figure it could happen is if Bama were to lose 1 regular season game, State barely lose in Tuscaloosa, and UGA lose to LSU and Auburn so they have 2 losses. Then the committee would put State in at 11-1 over UGA and Bama who both have two losses, and State's only loss was a close game on the road.

dawgs
09-17-2018, 03:35 PM
Only two out of 16 teams in the CFP have made it without winning their conference: 2016 Ohio State and 2017 Alabama. It took Penn State being a 2-loss B1G champ and Alabama only losing a close rivalry game on the road to make it in. The odds are stacked against a 1-loss State team that doesn't win the West.

About the only way you'd figure it could happen is if Bama were to lose 1 regular season game, State barely lose in Tuscaloosa, and UGA lose to LSU and Auburn so they have 2 losses. Then the committee would put State in at 11-1 over UGA and Bama who both have two losses, and State's only loss was a close game on the road.

Meh, there's so many variables across the country. Like I said earlier, the big 10, acc, and pac 12 have all looked somewhere between terrible and bad through 3 weeks. They are putting themselves in a position that any conference champ that isn't undefeated is going to have some question marks around them. I'm far from a sec sunshine pumper kinda guy, but this looks like it might be the strongest the sec has been relative the other P5 conferences since the sec was winning 7 straight natties.

BrunswickDawg
09-17-2018, 04:17 PM

I'm not sold on Oklahoma or OSU making it thru undefeated. Oklahoma has TCU and WVA on the road. OSU has Penn State and MSU on the road. They also have Conference Championship games to get thru.

However, I think the only way they let us in as a 1 loss team is if that loss is in the SEC title game and if Bama has 2 losses.

Matty Dispatch
09-17-2018, 04:48 PM
Meh, there's so many variables across the country. Like I said earlier, the big 10, acc, and pac 12 have all looked somewhere between terrible and bad through 3 weeks. They are putting themselves in a position that any conference champ that isn't undefeated is going to have some question marks around them. I'm far from a sec sunshine pumper kinda guy, but this looks like it might be the strongest the sec has been relative the other P5 conferences since the sec was winning 7 straight natties.

The Big 10, ACC and Big 12 could all totally suck but if Ohio State, Clemson and Oklahoma all have 1 loss and a conference title vs. MSU or any other SEC team with 1-loss and no conference title, you know who is going to win that battle.

Alabama got in last year after not winning the SEC over Ohio State who did win the Big 10, but Bama had 1 loss and Ohio State had 2 losses.

dawgs
09-17-2018, 05:48 PM
The Big 10, ACC and Big 12 could all totally suck but if Ohio State, Clemson and Oklahoma all have 1 loss and a conference title vs. MSU or any other SEC team with 1-loss and no conference title, you know who is going to win that battle.

Alabama got in last year after not winning the SEC over Ohio State who did win the Big 10, but Bama had 1 loss and Ohio State had 2 losses.

Well I never said anything about the big 12, other than Texas losing to Maryland, they've looked alright.

Clemson may go the entire season without playing a team ranked at the end of the season, so that is gonna make for an interesting discussion with any other 1 loss teams competing for a spot with them.

Ohio state would likely be fine at 12-1 with a big 10 championship. Tcu, pedo st, and Michigan should be ranked at the end of the year. Maybe Michigan st recovers and hangs in the top 25. And if pedo st wins the big 10 with 1 L, they'd probably be ok too since that'd probably necessitate beating Ohio st.

Pac 12 probably needs Oregon or Stanford to run the table to feel good (I'm assuming the rest of the unbeaten pac 12 teams have basically no shot of running the table).

All I'm saying is that this year multiple P5 conferences seem weaker than usual and the sec, or at least the West, seems as strong as it's been in several years. There's obviously way too many variables left to say with any certainty how everything will or won't play out, but you can make general statements like "if Clemson loses a game they will probably need some help because the acc is awful and they won't have any marquee Ws (unless a&m is the 2nd best team in the West and beats us, auburn, and LSU)".

MaroonFlounder
09-17-2018, 06:29 PM
The committee will never take 3 SEC teams in the final 4 playoff, and UGA and Bama will both be in there.

lastmajordog
09-17-2018, 06:54 PM
2014 and a couple of Jackie’s years PROVED .....all you have to do is win the big games...the DOGS seemed to have dropped several in their history....with Bama or UNM mostly.........you simply have to win those big games. Now that Dogs have a Coach that doesn’t #6 Enneagram in a big game......may not have to be concerned about making stupid conservative mistakes.....maybe something else.....but I don’t think it’s happening with this Coach.....

bulldawg28
09-17-2018, 07:35 PM
2014 and a couple of Jackie’s years PROVED .....all you have to do is win the big games...the DOGS seemed to have dropped several in their history....with Bama or UNM mostly.........you simply have to win those big games. Now that Dogs have a Coach that doesn’t #6 Enneagram in a big game......may not have to be concerned about making stupid conservative mistakes.....maybe something else.....but I don’t think it’s happening with this Coach.....

Agreed

MaroonFlounder
09-17-2018, 08:13 PM
There is a disturbing trend that we have to reverse.

Every time we are having a great season, what happens down the stretch to ruin it?

We lose to Bama, and lose the Egg Bowl.

2012, 2014, 2015, 2017.

Think about what could have been won if we could win vs Bama and/or ole piss in ANY of those seasons.

Political Hack
09-17-2018, 08:19 PM
We can lose to Bama maybe if they go #1 and win the SEC. that's the only way I see it happening.

dawgday166
09-17-2018, 08:29 PM
We can lose to Bama maybe if they go #1 and win the SEC. that's the only way I see it happening.

If first game is close game, usually the odds are in favor of first game loser winning second one. Only Bama will gets those chances (like 2011). CFP committee wouldn't put us in there and give us another shot at Bama. They want Bama to win Natty.

TUSK
09-17-2018, 08:32 PM
If first game is close game, usually the odds are in favor of first game loser winning second one. Only Bama will gets those chances (like 2011). CFP committee wouldn't put us in there and give us another shot at Bama. They want Bama to win Natty.

https://ak4.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/760594/thumb/1.jpg

Political Hack
09-17-2018, 08:36 PM

They'd jump the 4 to the 3-seed just like they've done in the past to avoid that.

TUSK
09-17-2018, 08:42 PM
They'd jump the 4 to the 3-seed just like they've done in the past to avoid that.

You lost me there, Hack... Break that down fer a Marine/Bammer, please....

dawgday166
09-17-2018, 08:45 PM

Not a chance we'd get in IMO.

dawgday166
09-17-2018, 08:45 PM
https://ak4.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/760594/thumb/1.jpg

LOL ... response time was fast. Bite the bait dammit!! Sun's hot out here ***

TUSK
09-17-2018, 08:50 PM
LOL ... response time was fast. Bite the bait dammit!! Sun's hot out here ***

I was about to jump on that like a duck on a junebug, then I noticed the author....

dawgday166
09-17-2018, 08:53 PM
I was about to jump on that like a duck on a junebug, then I noticed the author....

Just speaking TRUTH!! ha! I've watched this movie for a while now.

TUSK
09-17-2018, 09:07 PM
I posted it somewhere before:

1) Finish 11-1 with close loss @Bammer and dominate LSU & AU.
2) UGA finishes with 2 losses (either LSU or AU, & Bammer).
3) Three of: B1G Champ (OSU), Pac Champ (Wash), ACC Champ (Clemson), Big 12 Champ (Okie), & ND have 2 losses.

Most of the challenges for MSU aren't intra-conference....

BuckyIsAB****
09-17-2018, 09:47 PM
It would probably come down to how bad Bama beat UGA vs how bad they beat us.

If both were close it comes down to strength of schedule or comparing scores of common opponents (Resume)

TUSK
09-17-2018, 10:31 PM
It would probably come down to how bad Bama beat UGA vs how bad they beat us.

If both were close it comes down to strength of schedule or comparing scores of common opponents (Resume)

Correct.... unless UGA has 2 losses, yall need to play bammer within 7 and bammer beat uga by 14+...

ShotgunDawg
09-17-2018, 11:22 PM

Unfortunately this is true. The other conferences just suck and have no depth.

BuckyIsAB****
09-17-2018, 11:28 PM
Correct.... unless UGA has 2 losses, yall need to play bammer within 7 and bammer beat uga by 14+...

UGA isnt gonna have 2 losses. UGA and MSU could expose some pretenders before this is over

TUSK
09-18-2018, 12:00 AM
UGA isnt gonna have 2 losses. UGA and MSU could expose some pretenders before this is over

I concur.

bulldawg28
09-18-2018, 02:37 AM

This is what I'm thinking

Matty Dispatch
09-18-2018, 06:25 AM
I posted it somewhere before:

1) Finish 11-1 with close loss @Bammer and dominate LSU & AU.
2) UGA finishes with 2 losses (either LSU or AU, & Bammer).
3) Three of: B1G Champ (OSU), Pac Champ (Wash), ACC Champ (Clemson), Big 12 Champ (Okie), & ND have 2 losses.

Most of the challenges for MSU aren't intra-conference....

That's a lot of dominoes. State just needs to beat Bama and there will only be one domino that needs to fall.....and we can lose one other game somewhere along the way but we have to beat Bama and win the West. It can be done. They lost at home in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2015.

MSUDAWGFAN
09-18-2018, 10:18 AM

That was me that said that. And I stand by it. If we are 11-1 and don't win the SEC West, we don't deserve to be in it. If we are 11-1 and do win, maybe we do, but it depends on what else happens in the rest of the country. In reality, the SEC champ will get in, so if we are 11-1 and win the SECCG, we will be in.

bulldawg28
09-18-2018, 11:59 AM
That was me that said that. And I stand by it. If we are 11-1 and don't win the SEC West, we don't deserve to be in it. If we are 11-1 and do win, maybe we do, but it depends on what else happens in the rest of the country. In reality, the SEC champ will get in, so if we are 11-1 and win the SECCG, we will be in.

That sounds great in theory until it happens to you

MSUDAWGFAN
09-18-2018, 06:10 PM
That sounds great in theory until it happens to you

I stand by it. If it happens to us, we didn't win the game(s) we needed to. Simple as that.

All that is in the current format. If the playoff expands to accommodate more than the conference champs, then if you get in and win the playoff you win the natty. Like the CBB playoff.