PDA

View Full Version : New baseball commit 2019

AlSwearengen
09-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Will Bedner from PA. Right hander that apparently made big strides during his junior year and summer. He was committed to ohio state and i think he is rated the no. 94 player by perfect game. A top 100 player would be a nice addition this late in the game.

Todd4State
09-16-2018, 08:06 PM
Yeah- he decommitted from Ohio State. He could be a draft risk though. He's a very good pick up because if he makes it to campus he's a weekend starter type talent.

AlSwearengen
09-16-2018, 09:54 PM
I also like the idea of going into the north for players. Expanding our recruiting foot print can only help.

The Federalist Engineer
09-16-2018, 10:00 PM
We should be recruiting Western Pennsylvania like we own the place. Those folks are basically Mississippians living in the NE. Same with all kids in Ohio outside of Cleveland and Columbus. And suburban NJ kids. There is a lot more to NJ than the dirty, decaying, and littered area surrounding liberty airport

Just getting in-State tuition saves PA, OH, and NJ families about $10k-$15k per year.

Todd4State
09-16-2018, 10:04 PM
I also like the idea of going into the north for players. Expanding our recruiting foot print can only help.

I agree in that we should look there. One interesting thing to me as I said last week was that Mississippi was I think fourth or fifth per capita per Baseball America at producing MLB players. We were only behind the big states of California, Texas, Georgia, and Florida. We really do have Ron Polk to thank for that- and developing the game in Mississippi is going to be his lasting legacy and something we can point back to when we finally win a National Title even though he never won one here.

Vandy has had a lot of success pulling players from New England- Boston and New York. I would definitely like to look in some of the Midwest cities that have a heavy MLB influence like St. Louis, Chicago, Cincinnati, and etc. for players as well. And we do need to look outside of Mississippi some because I can't ever see the state producing enough talent for us to stock an entire National Championship caliber team consistently because of the population. And we'll probably lose one or two to Ole Miss because a player grew up an Ole Miss fan from time to time as well.

Pit Bull
09-16-2018, 10:06 PM
Polk recruited nationally as well as anyone we've ever had. There are a lot of good players up north that would rather play in the SEC, especially at a program like MSU.

Todd4State
09-16-2018, 10:11 PM
Polk recruited nationally as well as anyone we've ever had. There are a lot of good players up north that would rather play in the SEC, especially at a program like MSU.

But baseball in Mississippi was also not what it is now in 1982. We have to find the best in state players first- I think Lemonis is doing a good job of that so far- and then fill in the holes where we need to. I'd try to find players in Memphis after Mississippi, and then go to the big four states after that and then go Midwest/Misc. areas after that. That should be enough to round out a class and not have gaps.

And of course I'd stay away from using the JUCO's so much like we did under Cohen. It's unnecessary because as you said we can find talent in other places first.

Bully13
09-16-2018, 10:15 PM

I do indeed remember those days. I remember us getting a couple from OH during Polk. That was when we had facility advantages that have evened up since then. I remember Clark being from Nawlins, Palmiero being from Miami and Thigpen being from FL.

At any rate, Merry Flipmas Buckeyes! One thing that cannot be denied about our new HC, dude is a proven, elite crooter. And so is our retained crootin' coordinator.

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2018, 10:15 PM

If they came our camp, yes

AlSwearengen
09-16-2018, 10:24 PM
A few years ago one of our former players from up north (Castoria i think) would mention on the message boards from time to time that we should recruit more up north b/c of how inexpensive our tuition is compared to theirs.

It seems like lsu always has a good player from the northeast. And it always seems like quite a few good pitchers come south to play.