PDA

View Full Version : Overreaction from week 3 is our secondary

Dawg61
09-16-2018, 07:25 PM
#22 ranked defense in the nation is Georgia
#23 is MSU

We have 10 sacks and a shitload of tackles for loss. With out front 7 we don't need All-Americans at DB to still win 10 games this year with Peters out. We'll be alright. Just like always the freak out is exactly that. A freak out.

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2018, 07:27 PM
As usual, you are wrong. We need to be worried about our punter.

Dawg61
09-16-2018, 07:29 PM
As usual, you are wrong. We need to be worried about our punter.

I'm sensing a pissed off Brunswick. Just remember I was the one guy NOT freaking out about Fitz 40% completion rate after one game.

Lord McBuckethead
09-16-2018, 07:29 PM
We all expect to see 4 NFL dbs playing extremely tight coverages and getting a hand on literally every pass and picking off every other throw.

All in all, I hope our SEC coverage is better than what we have seen, but it's not like our dbs are Ole Misses type of guys.

Lord McBuckethead
09-16-2018, 07:30 PM
I also didn't freak out either. I did pose a couple questions though.

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2018, 07:33 PM
I'm sensing a pissed off Brunswick. Just remember I was the one guy NOT freaking out about Fitz 40% completion rate after one game.
Lol. Just playing.

And I agree with your point. I am a little concerned about depth in the secondary with Peters probably done - but performance so far has been good. We have given up some passing yards but it's not like are getting torched repeatedly or playing like OM.

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2018, 07:42 PM
I’m not freaking out about our CB, but it is the weakest position unit on this team.

I also agree that it’s good enough to win 10 games, but my hopes are to win more than 10

basedog
09-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Lol. Just playing.

And I agree with your point. I am a little concerned about depth in the secondary with Peters probably done - but performance so far has been good. We have given up some passing yards but it's not like are getting torched repeatedly or playing like OM.

Coach Joe says next man up! Our front will make average DB's good on "most" plays.

HoopsDawg
09-16-2018, 07:45 PM
No need to panic, but definitely cause for concern. I think Rayford clearly has to move back to CB and that hurts our Safety depth. Previous staff really did a poor job recruiting corners and MS hasn't produced many.

Commercecomet24
09-16-2018, 07:47 PM
Coach Joe says next man up! Our front will make average DB's good on "most" plays.

Coach Joe is right. Injuries happen to every team. The great teams someone steps up, on the also rans they don't.

Commercecomet24
09-16-2018, 07:49 PM
No need to panic, but definitely cause for concern. I think Rayford clearly has to move back to CB and that hurts our Safety depth. Previous staff really did a poor job recruiting corners and MS hasn't produced many.

Yep.

Captain Falcon
09-16-2018, 07:49 PM
I left at the end of the 3rd when we were already in garbage time, but I didn’t have any major issues with our secondary last night. We allowed a lot of underneath, safe throws that didn’t do much damage. That’s going to happen in a zone. They hit one deep ball early, but it was one play and the guy made a great catch. I don’t think they got in the red zone once until their garbage time TD.

Our front seven is stronger than our secondary, but that doesn’t mean our secondary is bad. We have an elite front seven that makes them look average in comparison, but in actuality they are solid. The Peters injury hurts, and we definitely can’t afford another one, but I don’t think there’s a big drop off with Smitherman. We will need some other guys to step up for depth purposes, but overall I feel pretty good about things.

Todd4State
09-16-2018, 08:04 PM
I think the new redshirt rule could help us because we can play some of our younger guys a little more if we absolutely have to.

If we have to move Rayford back to corner, it may mean more playing time for Marcus Murphy at safety as well. He was looking really good on kick coverage. I wouldn't be surprised to see the light come on for him in a couple of games or so.

Jack Lambert
09-16-2018, 08:25 PM

We have some of the best Safeties to back the Corners up. Also we don't run man to man.