PDA

View Full Version : WMD's Armchair QB: Homecoming Edition

War Machine Dawg
10-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Gents, WMD's Armchair QB (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/10/14/4834560/wmd-armchair-qb-homecoming-edition-mississippi-state-bowling-green-bulldogs-dak-prescott-dan-mullen) is up for your perusal at FWTCT. Don't know why it was delayed, but my apologies aGAIN. I'll be having a word to find out exactly what happened. As always, read there, comment here.

The Croom Diaries
10-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Good stuff as always WMD, sorry about the technical issue. Here's the link: http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/10/14/4834560/wmd-armchair-qb-homecoming-edition-mississippi-state-bowling-green-bulldogs-dak-prescott-dan-mullen

FlabLoser
10-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Good read.

Add to that the troubling trend of giving up a score right before the half. Doesn't seem to matter how far the opponent has to go. We give up scores at the end of first halves.

FISHDAWG
10-14-2013, 01:44 PM
good read WMD ... one note - I also thought C Jones would be more effective @ DE especially the way our ends have crashed inside to many times, but I noticed the last couple of games that the opposing O-Lines were having to double team him so much that it freed up someone else ... seems like a quandry to me - do we keep him there because of this or should he be moved back to end for a look see ?

War Machine Dawg
10-14-2013, 02:18 PM
good read WMD ... one note - I also thought C Jones would be more effective @ DE especially the way our ends have crashed inside to many times, but I noticed the last couple of games that the opposing O-Lines were having to double team him so much that it freed up someone else ... seems like a quandry to me - do we keep him there because of this or should he be moved back to end for a look see ?

Fish, I've been on the record as saying I LOVE having CJ at DT. There's almost nothing that QB's hate more than quick pressure up the middle, which CJ is providing for us. Plus, as you point out, teams are having to double him resulting in someone else being freed up on the DLine. I just meant that when we have injury situations against smaller teams it seems like a good opportunity to get him some work at DE so he can get that experience and we have the flexibility to use him there more often, should we ever want to.

War Machine Dawg
10-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Good read.

Add to that the troubling trend of giving up a score right before the half. Doesn't seem to matter how far the opponent has to go. We give up scores at the end of first halves.

That is definitely a concern, Flabby. Don't know if it's a product of a young, inexperienced team or if it's a lack of focus and intensity. Regardless, we've got to shore up that issue.

War Machine Dawg
10-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Shameless self-promotion bump

Political Hack
10-14-2013, 09:12 PM
agree on most, but I don't see how anyone on offense gets a decent grade coming out of this game. We looked terrible in the 2nd half. Couldn't score... couldn't convert on 3rd or 4th down (that wasn't a terrible spot either, Dak's knee was down).

I was a little disappointed with the front seven as well, but they rolled their QB all damn night which makes it difficult. What killed me was our inability to read a damn read option play at the DE position. It's like we've never seen the offense before. I can understand some of the formations and some of the play calls confusing our defense but not the read option. BG runs so many formations and plays there's really no way to identify tendencies or favored personnel sets, etc... it was just a "bow up and play fundamental defense" night. Only giving up 20 points, considering Dak handed them three, was pretty good IMO. it's certainly a hell of a lot better than the LSU game.

mic
10-14-2013, 09:43 PM
agree on most, but I don't see how anyone on offense gets a decent grade coming out of this game. We looked terrible in the 2nd half. Couldn't score... couldn't convert on 3rd or 4th down (that wasn't a terrible spot either, Dak's knee was down).

I was a little disappointed with the front seven as well, but they rolled their QB all damn night which makes it difficult. What killed me was our inability to read a damn read option play at the DE position. It's like we've never seen the offense before. I can understand some of the formations and some of the play calls confusing our defense but not the read option. BG runs so many formations and plays there's really no way to identify tendencies or favored personnel sets, etc... it was just a "bow up and play fundamental defense" night. Only giving up 20 points, considering Dak handed them three, was pretty good IMO. it's certainly a hell of a lot better than the LSU game.

And the officials gave them 7 on the DPI call..