PDA

View Full Version : We need to have a CONSTRUCTIVE conversation about the Student Section

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2013, 08:58 AM
OK folks, now that most people have stated their peace about the BG game, and, hopefully, have calmed down to the point of realizing that we won the game and at the end of the year no one will care how many points we won by, its time to have a constructive conversation about the student section.

What happened the other night was ridiculous, but it also happened last year against Tennessee, and yes it did because I saw it. However, I have come to a few conclusions about this situation:

1. Complaining and saying that our students suck doesn't fix the problem.

2. LSU and UGA had empty seats in their student section, so quality of play isn't as huge of a factor as people want to believe. However, I will say that our students leave at the slightest sign of adversity

3. This is an issue with kids of this era. They have twitter, Facebook, cable TV, cell phones, etc. In this day in age, kids have to be entertained 24/7. If they are not, they will find something else to entertain them. They can't simply can't stand to be slightly bored.

4. Selling alcohol in the stadium won't help much. Most of the students are underage and couldn't buy it anyway.

5. Our problem is getting students to stay at the game; not getting them to come to the game. The student section is usually full at the beginning of the game.

So with all this information, I would like to start a conversation, that could potentially help our athletic department, on how we can fix this problem. Complaining about it doesn't work. What we need to come up with are real life, applicable solutions.

Are there incentives we can offer students to stay till the end of the 4th quarter? Cafeteria coupons, etc?

Is there anymore that can be done with the game experience to make students want to stay? And don't say the "too many commercials" that has nothing to do with why students leave.

LETS GET CREATIVE and figure this out. Don't make this a bitching thread, or I will just start a new thread to direct this conversation in the right direction. We all want MSU to have a great student section. It helps the team and game day environment in so many ways.

Lets figure out how to do it!!

TheRef
10-14-2013, 09:09 AM
I think what we need, in the students eyes, is something to keep our interest in the game. Now, I'm not talking about a cheerleader getting a microphone and leading cheers because that doesn't work (look at Basketball two years ago). I'm talking about something that the students will rally around and start doing a lot more often. The "Hail State" after every first down isn't working and I don't see it working. It was a great idea, but an unrealized idea. I'm not sure how having the opposing team coming out from under the student section will affect the section. Maybe it will keep people motivated to stay so that they can heckle the opposing team as they run out of and back into the tunnel. It will be interesting to say the least. But for now, I'm not sure what to do.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2013, 09:13 AM
I think what we need, in the students eyes, is something to keep our interest in the game. Now, I'm not talking about a cheerleader getting a microphone and leading cheers because that doesn't work (look at Basketball two years ago). I'm talking about something that the students will rally around and start doing a lot more often. The "Hail State" after every first down isn't working and I don't see it working. It was a great idea, but an unrealized idea. I'm not sure how having the opposing team coming out from under the student section will affect the section. Maybe it will keep people motivated to stay so that they can heckle the opposing team as they run out of and back into the tunnel. It will be interesting to say the least. But for now, I'm not sure what to do.

Good point Ref. Not sure how much the other team coming out from under the student section will help, but it can't hurt.

We could also lower the student tickets total, but this really wouldn't fix the problem. It would just create less empty seats in the 4th quarter

Gen. Grant
10-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Students left because it was homecoming. It is still no excuse to leave.

TheRef
10-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Good point Ref. Not sure how much the other team coming out from under the student section will help, but it can't hurt.

We could also lower the student tickets total, but this really wouldn't fix the problem. It would just create less empty seats in the 4th quarter

I was a part of the council that was tasked during Stansbury's last year to increase student attendance at basketball games. Many things were thrown around but nothing solid was given. They tried gimmicks like giveaways, but there simply wasn't a good way to keep everyone at the games. This is the problem we are faced with right now. Don't be surprised if you see the Athletic Department try to run a gimmick next year to keep the students there. They tried it with basketball, they WILL try it with football. Most likely, it will have the same end result. Students staying until the big giveaway, then leaving soon afterwards. It sucks, I know.

Outside Dawg
10-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Long time viewer, first time posting, but this is an important topic. The student section was pitiful Saturday, and unacceptable in a close game. Just some thoughts I had Saturday while I was complaining to my wife about our student section during the game.

What if student tickets were allotted on a per week basis instead of for the entire season. You could sell the first game on a first come first serve basis, but implement a point system for the games moving forward. I assume the student ID cards can be scanned or now have RFID technology that could be used, like chip timing on road race mats, to register students entering the game, and then use other mats or scans as soon as the game ends. People who get scanned at the end have a higher priority building up. Maybe reduce the size of the student section to further drive demand. If there were always plenty of tickets that a point system didnt matter, maybe the student tickets could be split into two tiers, upper deck and lower level.

TheRef
10-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Long time viewer, first time posting, but this is an important topic. The student section was pitiful Saturday, and unacceptable in a close game. Just some thoughts I had Saturday while I was complaining to my wife about our student section during the game.

What if student tickets were allotted on a per week basis instead of for the entire season. You could sell the first game on a first come first serve basis, but implement a point system for the games moving forward. I assume the student ID cards can be scanned or now have RFID technology that could be used, like chip timing on road race mats, to register students entering the game, and then use other mats or scans as soon as the game ends. People who get scanned at the end have a higher priority building up. Maybe reduce the size of the student section to further drive demand. If there were always plenty of tickets that a point system didnt matter, maybe the student tickets could be split into two tiers, upper deck and lower level.

Only problem with that is that you will have a hard time selling the small-game tickets. Also, many students will buy the tickets only to sell them for a 100% profit afterwards depending on the demand for the game. Another problem is that the stadium does not have a fiber-optic network built in so the scanning of ID's is not possible, yet. There are discussions of integrating a fiber optic network into DWS. Also, since the student section will be solely in the endzone next year on the lower level the tiers plan won't be useful past this year.

SignalToNoise
10-14-2013, 10:12 AM
My theory:

Comes down to quality of opponent. It was a close game at half time, but I bet most students thought we'd pull away and cruise to victory in the second half. Combine that with the ability to catch the game on TV at the tailgate, frat house, dorm room, or apartment and it sets up for an early exit.

Now, bring in a "quality opponent." I'm talking something like Kentucky or Vandy-- a team we can reasonably beat. It has allure of an SEC matchup with the likelihood of a victory. I think that might help with the homecoming game.

CadaverDawg
10-14-2013, 10:20 AM
I think they need a reason to be there in the 4th quarter. Kinda like ref said, we need something they are in involved in. Wisconsin plays "Jump Around" at the start of the 4th quarter and EVERYBODY stays for that because it is a tradition. Other places sing Sweet Caroline or some other song. We have to start a traditional song that the students will WANT to be a part of. Even if we copy one of those songs.

We need to go to the frat houses and explain what song we are about to start playing right after God's Gonna Cut you down, and tell them we want them to be the ones that start this new tradition. Explain to them that the team feeds off of their energy, and when they leave so does the energy. Give them this "new tradition" incentive and see if they can take off with it.

Just a thought.

Entodawg
10-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Simple solution is to start scanning ID's. Not just scanning ID's to get in the game, but scan them as students leave. Scan in and scan out. Offer some sort of incentive for staying the full game (Bulldog coalition points, some kind of contest for the Greeks with the most attendance points, etc). I know they did an attendance contest for the Greeks in tennis where the winning fraternity/sorority won a huge flat screen tv and they saw huge attendance numbers because of it. Maybe a raffle for the students with x number of points where the winner gets a semester of free tuition. Gonna have to make it worth it for the students. Student tickets need to be knocked down to around 7500 or 8000 as well. 11000 is an absurd amount for our enrollment.

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Every game is on tv now. It use to not be that way. Half the folks at my tail gate dont even go in at all any more. They sit outside and grill and drink and watch on tv. These are folks that would never miss games in the past. Im talking folks that drive 3 plus hours to tail gate and not go in. Most have tickets too.

That tells me that it is more entertaining outside than inside. Not sure how you fix that.

dawgs
10-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Wifi or reliable 4G in the stadium probably goes further than anything. Not sure what the cell reception is like this year because I only get back for 1-2 games a year, but in years past nothing went through.

But as we've said, this is a national problem, not a msu problem.

CadaverDawg
10-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Simple solution is to start scanning ID's. Not just scanning ID's to get in the game, but scan them as students leave. Scan in and scan out. Offer some sort of incentive for staying the full game (Bulldog coalition points, some kind of contest for the Greeks with the most attendance points, etc). I know they did an attendance contest for the Greeks in tennis where the winning fraternity/sorority won a huge flat screen tv and they saw huge attendance numbers because of it. Maybe a raffle for the students with x number of points where the winner gets a semester of free tuition. Gonna have to make it worth it for the students. Student tickets need to be knocked down to around 7500 or 8000 as well. 11000 is an absurd amount for our enrollment.

Not a bad idea. Announce the winners of tuition, a flat screen, and some other small prizes at around the 7:30 mark in the 4th quarter every week. Tell them they must be in attendance to claim their prizes. Wouldn't keep all of them, but it would keep some of them. Maybe even announce a fraternity or sorority of the week for the one that showed the most spirit/best signs of the home game week that week. I don't know.

TheRef
10-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Not a bad idea. Announce the winners of tuition, a flat screen, and some other small prizes at around the 7:30 mark in the 4th quarter every week. Tell them they must be in attendance to claim their prizes. Wouldn't keep all of them, but it would keep some of them. Maybe even announce a fraternity or sorority of the week for the one that showed the most spirit/best signs of the home game week that week. I don't know.

Like I said earlier, we don't have the technological infrastructure at DWS right now in order to scan ID's.

mrucker85
10-14-2013, 10:32 AM
It shouldn't be too hard to get this fixed.
First, reduce the amount of student tickets so that supply < demand.
Second, sell tickets on a per/game basis instead of as a season pass. Allow upperclassmen to get priority for the first game.
Third, setup an HID scanner at the gate that students have to scan as they enter and as they leave (something similar to how they get in to the dorms). It may not be there now, but wouldn't be hard to implement. It's in place on every other building around campus for faculty/staff to enter after-hours.
Last, if a student misses a game, or leaves early more than twice, they don't get the opportunity to buy tickets for the next game / rest of season (or are given the lowest priority)

That would give them incentive to go to the smaller games, assuming they want to go to the bigger game next week, and to not leave early too often. I'm pretty sure that I've heard of other schools doing this with their sporting events.

SheltonChoked
10-14-2013, 10:41 AM
I think we have to embrace the new Technology and make it more interactive. Something like This (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Manchester-City-WiFi-Eithad-Stadium-Cisco-O2,22493.html#Manchester-City-WiFi-Eithad-Stadium-Cisco-O2%2C22493.html?&_suid=1381765163524008093597547095821) at Man City. Not internet, but a local wifi with live stats and streaming of the video available to everyone with a tablet or a smartphone. Maybe even an app.

Political Hack
10-14-2013, 11:07 AM
1) homecoming games should never be at night. That sucks, but they have to be day games.

2) The fraternity council should shut down all frats until the conclusion of the game. No admittance to the house.

3) There should be assigned seating, with block seating for groups. If individuals/organizations aren't using their seats the whole game, they lose their right to buy tickets.

4) students who accept student tickets at a reduced price should be made to sign an agreement that they will stay for the entire game barring emergencies.

5) If students don't like the the new rules, they don't have to accept tickets. Those tickets can be donated to charitable foundations, Columbus AFB, local high schools, etc...

theloungeinleft
10-14-2013, 11:10 AM
1) homecoming games should never be at night. That sucks, but they have to be day games.

2) The fraternity council should shut down all frats until the conclusion of the game. No admittance to the house.

3) There should be assigned seating, with block seating for groups. If individuals/organizations aren't using their seats the whole game, they lose their right to buy tickets.

4) students who accept student tickets at a reduced price should be made to sign an agreement that they will stay for the entire game barring emergencies.

5) If students don't like the the new rules, they don't have to accept tickets. Those tickets can be donated to charitable foundations, Columbus AFB, local high schools, etc...

Riiiiiiiiight...

The Croom Diaries
10-14-2013, 11:21 AM
"having to be entertained" the entire game is a huge problem to me. I guess it speaks to the younger generation (I am only 29 but I guess I'm old now). I think all the "entertainment" at football games has sucked the life out of the stadium, and I think it sucks. I feel more into the game in my living room than the distractions while actually at the game. But I guess it is what it is.

1. Put the students in the upper deck for all non-SEC games. They are going to leave early, let the upper deck season ticket holders have a chance to sit down low. I don't know the logistics of this, but I'm sure it could happen.

2. Raise the price of student tickets. My brothers went to Auburn and had to pay a couple hundred bucks for their tickets, and that was just for half a season. It's should be a privilege to go to a game, and if you should only go if you really want to be there.

3. Increase the size of the FMB into a mega band. It has come to my attention recently that the FMB are some of the most hardcore State fans out there. Maybe it's because they all have to stay at the game until the bitter end. This is a joke, but maybe forcing students to stay would create an affinity for the football team. Maybe we should set up ticket takers at the exits and you have to show your ticket to get out and if you're a student your student ID scanned if you leave and it's a strike against you. This is no doubt an impossible solution but you get the point.

'Merica Dawg
10-14-2013, 11:22 AM
slightly off-topic but do we always have to play non-conference games for homecoming?

camsu
10-14-2013, 11:27 AM
I like Hack's suggestions. Also, you could have tickets at the end of the game to hand out for $5 off for this or that or a movie ticket. My guess if Univ bought could get $5 off for $3. The additional sells of concessions would off set the the give away. Or T-shitrs, I stayed till the end.

DCdawg
10-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Wifi or reliable 4G in the stadium probably goes further than anything. Not sure what the cell reception is like this year because I only get back for 1-2 games a year, but in years past nothing went through.

But as we've said, this is a national problem, not a msu problem.

This. It probably shouldn't be like this, but students want constant access to the internet and cell service in the stadium. Wifi will help. It won't solve the problem but it will help, in my opinion. I also think the student section moving to the bowled in area will help. We won't be spread out away from each other.

'Merica Dawg
10-14-2013, 11:28 AM

I think the best temporary fix is for a few students to step up and keep it rowdy. Be the first in, get a seat at the bottom, and be the orchestrators. I remember when had this one guy that was always starting chants and keeping us going. Can't remember his name for the life of me tho but he was well known within.

BankerDog
10-14-2013, 11:33 AM
As a student, I think part of the problem is the fact that frats have to shut everything down at 1 as well as the bars. Many of the frat guys have to leave to go set up for the bands they have. Girls leave at half time to go get ready. If the univeristy would lift that rule and Starkville bars actually stayed opened until two or so it would help the problem.

Another problem is the damn jumbotron not keeping people engaged. It kills the crowd. I actually yawned in the second quarter. I've never yawned at a football game.

WPDawg
10-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Good Luck. Students have always left early. Except for the big games that we have a chance to win. Plus the game is on TV. How many of them think " I was there when we beat Bowling Green in 2013"? To many other things to do and chase then to stay at a "non-historical" game.

bluelightstar
10-14-2013, 12:06 PM
I was a part of the council that was tasked during Stansbury's last year to increase student attendance at basketball games. Many things were thrown around but nothing solid was given. They tried gimmicks like giveaways, but there simply wasn't a good way to keep everyone at the games. This is the problem we are faced with right now. Don't be surprised if you see the Athletic Department try to run a gimmick next year to keep the students there. They tried it with basketball, they WILL try it with football. Most likely, it will have the same end result. Students staying until the big giveaway, then leaving soon afterwards. It sucks, I know.

So was I. We tried everything, and no nothing worked. Al Davis said it best, "just win baby win."

bluelightstar
10-14-2013, 12:09 PM
As a student, I think part of the problem is the fact that frats have to shut everything down at 1 as well as the bars. Many of the frat guys have to leave to go set up for the bands they have. Girls leave at half time to go get ready. If the univeristy would lift that rule and Starkville bars actually stayed opened until two or so it would help the problem.

Another problem is the damn jumbotron not keeping people engaged. It kills the crowd. I actually yawned in the second quarter. I've never yawned at a football game.

And I agree with this as well. Everybody in the endzone was literally bored to sleep during the 2nd quarter. There was nothing fun about Saturday's game.

mjh94
10-14-2013, 12:09 PM
but until the University, Student Association and Athletic Department put there heads together to solve the problem, nothing will be fixed. The best thing to do at this point, everyone who has twitter, tweet the following showing displeasure with the student section and demand they start searching for a solution. People like Whit Waide that has some cred with the student body may also be able to help.

Hell, direct them to this thread to show them its a noticeable problem among alumni, fans, and students.

@MSU_SA
@msstate
@HailState
@stricklinMSU
@whitwaide
@HailStateFB
@bhemphillMSU
@reflectoronline

this picture is with roughly 7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.. a FREAKIN QUARTER AND A HALF LEFT!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWa8QhtIgAAge01.jpg:large

bluelightstar
10-14-2013, 12:12 PM
but until the University, Student Association and Athletic Department put there heads together to solve the problem, nothing will be fixed. The best thing to do at this point, everyone who has twitter, tweet the following showing displeasure with the student section and demand they start searching for a solution. People like Whit Waide that has some cred with the student body may also be able to help.

Hell, direct them to this thread to show them its a noticeable problem among alumni, fans, and students.

@MSU_SA
@msstate
@HailState
@stricklinMSU
@whitwaide
@HailStateFB
@bhemphillMSU
@reflectoronline

Having worked for SA Athletic Affairs, I promise you that all those people are already aware. Just be honest with you -- there's a fine line. Can't piss off the students either (I know that sounds crazy to alumni). Tents 4 Tickets created the most enormous blowback I'd seen in a while.

TheRef
10-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Having worked for SA Athletic Affairs, I promise you that all those people are already aware. Just be honest with you -- there's a fine line. Can't piss off the students either (I know that sounds crazy to alumni). Tents 4 Tickets created the most enormous blowback I'd seen in a while.

Ahhhh....Tents 4 Tickets.....#NeverForget. I always pester Rhett about it before every season. Good times...goooooood times.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2013, 12:17 PM

@MSU_SA
@msstate
@HailState
@stricklinMSU
@whitwaide
@HailStateFB
@bhemphillMSU
@reflectoronline

this picture is with roughly 7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.. a FREAKIN QUARTER AND A HALF LEFT!!

This picture tell me that the student section is the only problem. I'm happy with the attendance in the rest of the stadium. So, people who stay at their tents aren't the problem. The students are the problem.

I like the idea of them having to buy tickets for each individual game and people that leave after the final buzzer get a discount on the next game's tickets or get to buy them first. That would help

HereComesTheSpiral
10-14-2013, 12:18 PM
What is the common underlying theme to the students leaving? They all leave to drink beer and chase *****, and I don't blame them at all. So, let's adopt the NASCAR cooler rule and bring the junction inside. You get to keep that chunky chick buzzed on Smirnoff and you might get a halftime tug. Sadly, this will never happen.

TheRef
10-14-2013, 12:19 PM
What is the common underlying theme to the students leaving? They all leave to drink beer and chase *****, and I don't blame them at all. So, let's adopt the NASCAR cooler rule and bring the junction inside. You get to keep that chunky chick buzzed on Smirnoff and you might get a halftime tug. Sadly, this will never happen.

Send this to NCAA...they're the ones keeping it from happening.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2013, 12:21 PM

Yes, this would work wonderfully, but not sure we could legally make it happen

smootness
10-14-2013, 12:33 PM
What do you guys see as the biggest issue with having students leave a game like that early?

Obviously I would rather it not happen, and so if it can be solved easily, obviously we should do that. Also, if this were happening at, say, the LSU game, there's no doubt that would be a serious issue that would have to be addressed.

But as it stands, I'm not sure it's that big of a deal that a lot of students left the homecoming game against Bowling Green early. That's always going to happen; there may be things we can do to give incentive to stay longer, but is it more of an issue than I'm realizing?

One solution would be to schedule tougher opponents....

Drugdog
10-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Entodawg nailed it. WAY too many tickets to students. Cut in half, sell the rest to Alumni, use that money to put toward RETIRING the Ads during the game. Problem solved. More fans, less commercials=better game day experience.
Feel free to pass on to SS and administration.

CadaverDawg
10-14-2013, 12:54 PM

@MSU_SA
@msstate
@HailState
@stricklinMSU
@whitwaide
@HailStateFB
@bhemphillMSU
@reflectoronline

Guys, please don't tweet this picture out. The last thing we need is all of our damn recruits seeing this half empty stadium all over their social media. Just stop.

mjh94
10-14-2013, 01:03 PM
well, i dont know who you are, but i dont have any recruits following me. and all those people i listed sure as hell ain't gonna retweet that embarrassing-ass picture.

Guys, please don't tweet this picture out. The last thing we need is all of our damn recruits seeing this half empty stadium all over their social media. Just stop.

CadaverDawg
10-14-2013, 01:06 PM
well, i dont know who you are, but i dont have any recruits following me. and all those people i listed sure as hell ain't gonna retweet that embarrassing-ass picture.

Ha, I don't have any following me either...I just don't want that embarrassing ass picture being retweeted by every opposing fan on the interwebz, if you know what I mean.

'Merica Dawg
10-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Ha, I don't have any following me either...I just don't want that embarrassing ass picture being retweeted by every opposing fan on the interwebz, if you know what I mean.

+1

Political Hack
10-14-2013, 01:33 PM
increasing the size of the band is a great idea.

angusyoung
10-14-2013, 01:51 PM
I was in school 95-99. 95 and 96 no one stayed at the games because we sucked major balls. 97-99 it was packed from start to finish because we had a good to great team.

Students are going to leave the when the team blows because there are a ton of other things to do than sit and watch a shitty football game.

You guys are making an extremely simple issue very complicated. Bringing twitter, Facebook, social media etc. into this as if the students are different today than those that were students before the advent of those things is bullshit. No one wants to watch a shitty football game no matter what year it is.

Coming up with ideas like giving away free tvs and shit is ****ing retarded. Do you think someone that is purely in attendance to see if they win a big screen tv will be engaged and cheer loudly? **** no.

The answer to this problem is and will always be about the quality of the football team. Plain and simple and no raffle ticket giveaways will ever change that.

Put a team on the field that's going to whip the opponents ass and people will cheer their asses off. Remember Auburn in 2000 when they had Rudy Johnson? We didn't score but 17 points in that game but we destroyed the country's leading rusher and the crowd was one of the loudest ever in that stadium. And not a single flat screen tv was given away that day.

mjh94
10-14-2013, 01:54 PM
no doubt about that. if that were to happen i think ED contributors could wear there ass out just as well!

SaltyDawg
10-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Some sort of block seating would go a long way to keeping students in the game. Students have to get into the game (or start standing in line) 2-3 hours early before kickoff to get good seats. At halftime, you're already at 3.5 to 4 hours being in the game- most of which is spent standing. Block seating would eliminate this.

Also, completely agree about the 1 AM closing time for bars and frat houses. If you stay the whole game, you realistically only have about 2 hours afterwards (by the time you get out of the stadium and through the crowds to get where you're going). If this time was pushed back to at least 2 AM I think it would be a good start to keeping students there.

TheRef
10-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Some sort of block seating would go a long way to keeping students in the game. Students have to get into the game (or start standing in line) 2-3 hours early before kickoff to get good seats. At halftime, you're already at 3.5 to 4 hours being in the game- most of which is spent standing. Block seating would eliminate this.

What do you mean by block seating? I'm slightly confused on this subject.

bluelightstar
10-14-2013, 02:33 PM
What do you mean by block seating? I'm slightly confused on this subject.

Alabama and Auburn have seating blocks in the stadium for different student organizations. The different fraternities, sororities, ROTC, different groups like that have assigned sections and the rest is just open seating. The groups have to fill their blocks consistently or they lose them. Of course, Alabama has started an entire campaign of "PLAY FOR FOUR, STAY FOR FOUR" so people are leaving everywhere.

SaltyDawg
10-14-2013, 02:34 PM
* Block seating will be available to recognized organizations based on their spirit point accumulation.
* Spirit points are calculated and maintained by the Student Government Association.
* The Student Government Association Spirit Program has reserved Sections 24-27 for Auburn University student organizations participating in the block seating program. For more information on the block seating program please contact the SGA office at www.auburn.edu/sga or 844-4240.
* Each student, regardless of block affiliation, must order his/her own tickets.
* Spirit block seating will be enforced until 15 minutes prior to kickoff. After kickoff, any unoccupied seats will be open to any student.

Cut and pasted from Auburn's website.

Maroonthirteen
10-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Just win baby! Like someone else said. However since that only happens on occasion at State, I hope the new endzone section has a roomy concourse with strong wifi.

Long range, when I am close to dead, I see all stadiums having to install large comfortable chair backs through out the stadium to compete with TV. Thus reducing capacity and eliminating some student seating.

SaltyDawg
10-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Student enrollment continues to increase every year, reducing the student section is not a viable option.

Jack Lambert
10-14-2013, 02:48 PM

The only way you are going to get them to stop leaving is to offer free beer or hot women to them on the way out the gates, when the 4th Q has finished. Other then that getting a 17 to 22 year old to think about anything else is almost impossible. It's game night and the women, party and beer is waiting.

TheRef
10-14-2013, 02:54 PM
The only way you are going to get them to stop leaving is to offer free beer or hot women to them on the way out the gates, when the 4th Q has finished. Other then that getting a 17 to 22 year old to think about anything else is almost impossible. It's game night and the women, party and beer is waiting.

Haha...ain't that the truth. I'm 21 years old and the only reason I stick around most of the time during really bad, disgusting games is because I'm helplessly optimistic during the heat of the moment.

Jack Lambert
10-14-2013, 02:59 PM
I am not sure how it works now but just make the students pay each week for their tickets. The tickets that don't sell put them on the open market or give to some military guy.

Or build some extra giant sky boxes for students and fill it with free food and drinks and if by some chance they do leave we will not know it.

TheRef
10-14-2013, 03:05 PM
I am not sure how it works now but just make the students pay each week for their tickets. The tickets that don't sell put them on the open market or give to some military guy.

Or build some extra giant sky boxes for students and fill it with free food and drinks and if by some chance they do leave we will not know it.

How it works now is that before the season, usually the weekend before the first game of the season, they have a season ticket selling day where students go to the ticket office in the M-club building and pay whatever the going rate for season tickets is for that year and they get a student ticket for every home game. This year, the rate was $40 for a full set of season tickets. Most of the time, however, students buy the tickets then go online to sell them to other students who weren't quite so lucky as to get a set of season tickets which seems impossible since they don't sell out until almost 2 days before the first game. Regardless, then the students must have a student id (easily faked) and a ticket in order to get in. Talks are in place in order to set up an electronic system for buying student season tickets and having them directly on the id so that they can be scanned instead of having hard copies. This system (electronic purchase) is already in place in all of the other universities within the SEC.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Turn the new gridiron club into a strip club and have the MSU dance team strip after the game.***

TheRef
10-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Turn the new gridiron club into a strip club and have the MSU dance team strip after the game.***

Bow Chicka Wow-wow

mjh94
10-14-2013, 03:21 PM
BEST suggestion i've seen/heard of. definitely makes them think about leaving.

* Block seating will be available to recognized organizations based on their spirit point accumulation.
* Spirit points are calculated and maintained by the Student Government Association.
* The Student Government Association Spirit Program has reserved Sections 24-27 for Auburn University student organizations participating in the block seating program. For more information on the block seating program please contact the SGA office at www.auburn.edu/sga or 844-4240.
* Each student, regardless of block affiliation, must order his/her own tickets.
* Spirit block seating will be enforced until 15 minutes prior to kickoff. After kickoff, any unoccupied seats will be open to any student.

Cut and pasted from Auburn's website.

Barking 13
10-14-2013, 03:30 PM

I'll bring extra $ bills...***

TheRef
10-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Alabama and Auburn have seating blocks in the stadium for different student organizations. The different fraternities, sororities, ROTC, different groups like that have assigned sections and the rest is just open seating. The groups have to fill their blocks consistently or they lose them. Of course, Alabama has started an entire campaign of "PLAY FOR FOUR, STAY FOR FOUR" so people are leaving everywhere.

We had a discussion on that for basketball seating. Only problem is people WILL be butthurt over their seat placement. Athletic Department doesn't want to hurt student's feelings and wants everyone to have an equal chance. Therefore, this won't happen unless some SERIOUS changes and concessions are given.

Where'sWaldo
10-14-2013, 03:51 PM
A few suggestions:
1) I've been sitting in the student section for a long time and the biggest issue we have right now outside of not being a great team is the Jumbotron. Everything from the games, music, videos, etc has killed the atmostphere in the stadium. Things like a non enthusiastic dawg pound rock do mattter and should be addressed.
2) All frats should force the pledges to stay the entire game.
3) No gimmicks are going to keep students there. It comes down to psycology and making the stadium feel like "the place to be". Pay a DJ and marketing guru to find out the exact timing and what songs to play along with what a college age student or recruit would find fun and do it. It's not that difficult. One example of this is playing the "Bring em out, Bring em out" song when the team comes on the field. An energy is immediately created when that happens but we have to consistently do this throughout the entire game.

**The problem with blocking off seats is that it would create a late arriving crowd which is not what we want either.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2013, 04:08 PM
A few suggestions:
1) I've been sitting in the student section for a long time and the biggest issue we have right now outside of not being a great team is the Jumbotron. Everything from the games, music, videos, etc has killed the atmostphere in the stadium. Things like a non enthusiastic dawg pound rock do mattter and should be addressed.
2) All frats should force the pledges to stay the entire game.
3) No gimmicks are going to keep students there. It comes down to psycology and making the stadium feel like "the place to be". Pay a DJ and marketing guru to find out the exact timing and what songs to play along with what a college age student or recruit would find fun and do it. It's not that difficult. One example of this is playing the "Bring em out, Bring em out" song when the team comes on the field. An energy is immediately created when that happens but we have to consistently do this throughout the entire game.

**The problem with blocking off seats is that it would create a late arriving crowd which is not what we want either.

I just don't agree that not having a "great" team is the problem. Granted, if we were awful, I could understand because students wouldn't come to the game in the first place. However, our problem isn't getting students to the game. Our student section is mostly packed out for the first half. Our problem is getting students to stay after half time.

I like Auburn's solution.

WPDawg
10-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Yeah ...we can hope students want to sit in same spot for another 1 1/2 hours and watch football because they dont have anything else to do.....Another thing IMO is lot of them probably played sports in HS and were not spectators. They are not far enough removed from that to actually miss it enough that they can watch someone else play the field. Outside of a "big game", the ritual fun of going to the game runs out by half-time. They were used to being on the field and in the action. Watching is boring so they go to find the action they can still be involved in. And the ones who didnt play are following their ex-jock friends because "that is where he action is". They will be back when they have graduated and partying days began to mellow.

I seen it dawg
10-14-2013, 05:13 PM
I was in school 95-99. 95 and 96 no one stayed at the games because we sucked major balls. 97-99 it was packed from start to finish because we had a good to great team.

Students are going to leave the when the team blows because there are a ton of other things to do than sit and watch a shitty football game.

You guys are making an extremely simple issue very complicated. Bringing twitter, Facebook, social media etc. into this as if the students are different today than those that were students before the advent of those things is bullshit. No one wants to watch a shitty football game no matter what year it is.

Coming up with ideas like giving away free tvs and shit is ****ing retarded. Do you think someone that is purely in attendance to see if they win a big screen tv will be engaged and cheer loudly? **** no.

The answer to this problem is and will always be about the quality of the football team. Plain and simple and no raffle ticket giveaways will ever change that.

Put a team on the field that's going to whip the opponents ass and people will cheer their asses off. Remember Auburn in 2000 when they had Rudy Johnson? We didn't score but 17 points in that game but we destroyed the country's leading rusher and the crowd was one of the loudest ever in that stadium. And not a single flat screen tv was given away that day.

This. Shitty football=less people staying. Exciting hard nosed get in your ass football makes people stay. We've lost the latter.

And I'm not saying we have to win 9-10 every year. I'm saying exciting, intense, hard-nosed football teams. We aren't that.

Will James
10-14-2013, 05:32 PM
1. I think many students now haven't been raised on Bulldog sports so its just another event to them. Imagine going to, let's say, a Kansas State-Iowa State game in Kansas. Granted if I were a student there I would still be doing all I could to help, but the passion for some just isn't there.

2. It's not "cool" anymore to make noise and be rowdy. Generation XBOX have not competed for much in their lives and probably haven't had much experience in aggression. Too many soft pussies roaming around these days. Like dawgs said, it's not just here. But our student mimicking of "typical Ole Miss" is why I have the extra dislike for them. Look at the students you see leave at halftime each week and you'll notice the patterns that form.

3. Our older "down in front I cant see" fans are a problem in that many do not contribute to the noise. See Rougedawg's post from last week.

4. We fail to maintain a high intensity atmosphere.

5. Noise level has always been higher with good defense. When most drives end in points after many first downs, why bother? Think about it.. When do the crowds erupt?
A. Big hits- but we've outlawed them. Equate this to "people like NASCAR for the wrecks". If wrecks were outlawed, what would fan support do?
B. Defensive stops- but now everyone converts first downs all the time. There are no dominant defenses in the big games so why yell when you know the first down is coming anyway? Our old defensive struggles were much louder than nowadays.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2013, 07:41 PM
This. Shitty football=less people staying. Exciting hard nosed get in your ass football makes people stay. We've lost the latter.

And I'm not saying we have to win 9-10 every year. I'm saying exciting, intense, hard-nosed football teams. We aren't that.

I just don't think this is the problem, and, if it is, shame the **** on us because we don't deserve to win shit. Students left in the 4th quarter of last year's Tennessee game. We have gone to 3 bowls in a row and will push for 4 in a row. If we can't get students to stay now, then why have they stayed for the past 60 years? This is one of the best runs in school history.

The point is, we have to think of solutions other than just having a bad ass team. We won't ever have a bad ass team if our students don't stay because it will always be harder to recruit. We must find other ways, because, while we may have a year here or a year there of big time success, our entire fan base can't be so fair weather that our student section goes to shit when we are only competing to go to a bowl rather than the national title.

If we want to be better than the schools with more resources, then have to do extra, stay a little longer, and have a little more passion. Leaving because you don't have a National Title caliber team is going to keep us at the bottom of the west. We must fix this problem if we are going to make progress

SignalToNoise
10-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Leaving because you don't have a National Title caliber team is going to keep us at the bottom of the west.

A mixture of recruiting and mediocre coaching will be responsible for that, not students leaving at the end of the 3rd quarter.

bluelightstar
10-14-2013, 09:11 PM
I just don't think this is the problem, and, if it is, shame the **** on us because we don't deserve to win shit. Students left in the 4th quarter of last year's Tennessee game. We have gone to 3 bowls in a row and will push for 4 in a row. If we can't get students to stay now, then why have they stayed for the past 60 years? This is one of the best runs in school history.

The point is, we have to think of solutions other than just having a bad ass team. We won't ever have a bad ass team if our students don't stay because it will always be harder to recruit. We must find other ways, because, while we may have a year here or a year there of big time success, our entire fan base can't be so fair weather that our student section goes to shit when we are only competing to go to a bowl rather than the national title.

If we want to be better than the schools with more resources, then have to do extra, stay a little longer, and have a little more passion. Leaving because you don't have a National Title caliber team is going to keep us at the bottom of the west. We must fix this problem if we are going to make progress

I was in the student section for that Tennessee game and it was at least still 90% full when we scored that last TD against UT last year.

I seen it dawg
10-14-2013, 09:29 PM

It is the problem. The crowd feeds off the team and coaches being fired up, excited, and intense. It shows in the way we play when those things are present and it keeps the crowd in it. We are boring.

Squidawg11
10-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Give the fraternities block seating. They will be evaluated at the end of season and if they do not keep their section full the entire game, they lose their block. I know a lot of yall will disagree with this, but coming from an ex student, the best way to keep the student section rowdy is to keep the fraternities together. If the fraternities stay rowdy then it becomes contagious and the entire student section benefits and entices more to stay longer. Most spontaneous stadium chants are started by these groups. It was even that way in Omaha.

theloungeinleft
10-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Give the fraternities block seating. They will be evaluated at the end of season and if they do not keep their section full the entire game, they lose their block. I know a lot of yall will disagree with this, but coming from an ex student, the best way to keep the student section rowdy is to keep the fraternities together. If the fraternities stay rowdy then it becomes contagious and the entire student section benefits and entices more to stay longer. Most spontaneous stadium chants are started by these groups. It was even that way in Omaha.

agree, 100%.

Bucky Dog
10-14-2013, 11:10 PM

This is it!! I had to read through 60 something posts to get to someone who gets what I started the original post about during the game the other night.

There are just so many excuses that don't make sense from shitty game to shitty team to shitty coach. I stated that our fans complain and make excuses why NOT to come to the game OR stay at the game. He is right when he says we are in a great run and am I completely satisfied with year? Of course not but we have lost to 3 top 25 teams.

It's about the big picture here guys. Are we a Bama or LSU? Of course not. Will we ever be? Who knows. But we have to understand where we are in building a program and to have the winning seasons and bowls recently are unprecedented. We MUST do out part as fans and support our team just as hard when we win 6 games because of young players in skill positions, tough schedule, or questionable coaching, just as we do during a 9 win season!! That is how you build support and respect for your program.

We are easily looking at 8 wins next season with and outside chance at 9-10 wins. Don't be the fans that sit back and wait. It's simple: Come to the game, Cheer at the game, Stay for the game.

I am grateful to Mullen but at times want to scream at some of the decisions. Does that mean I'm going to quit on MS State and those guys? Hell no!

To the students, have your band party on Friday night before the game if it is a night game if that is your excuse. If you "need to be entertained" at a football game then keep your ass at home and play Xbox. If football itself is not entertainment enough for you the I'm sorry. Yeah I get the thing with video boards and music and such but come on it's about school pride and being a part of building a tradition on some way, shape and form.

And though the students left en masse at halftime and did see a good number of seats empty out on the West side. So let's old folks be leaders and set an example for our kids!

maroonmania
10-15-2013, 04:22 PM

Hate for it to be that way but you are probably correct. I know that is the way they do it at Auburn (my daughter is there) and they don't have the problem of mass student exodus that we do.

wofat
10-15-2013, 05:38 PM
I think you nailed it.