PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about the Bowling Green game

Coach 57
10-14-2013, 07:51 AM
I was there and didn't watch the game on TV. I was sitting in section 6, row 34. And to start my goods & bads list I want to preface it by saying we have one of these games EVERY SINGLE YEAR! As some have stated, in 2010 we barely beat a down right horrible UAB team, in 2011 it took extra frames to beat a La Tech team that started a freshman at QB, last year we narrowly escaped a pretty bad Troy team. Add this one to the list. But EVERYBODY has these types of games! Calm down! Georgia State scored more points than the Bears does that mean they are better? No! Bama took the week off! So understanding that premise let's look at things that were disconcerting for me. Feel free to pick & prod but I don't want to hear anything about fans leaving. I only want to hear things that matter ON THE FIELD!

1.) My biggest issue is this from the game. Why was Eulls starting @ DE? I understand Preston wasn't available. I get that. But Brown, Dale, Jefferson might be as good (arguably better than Autry) why are they not starting in Preston's voided spot? Eulls is too slow, doesn't use his hands correctly for an edge perspective and sometimes makes poor choices to take the dive on zone read plays. Why is he in there? The only thing I can think of is if he started with the ability to walk down McKinney to an edge type of Demario. Other than that I just don't see why he started! If that was what we schemed I would be happy with it because it would make a 50 look which is different.

2.) our FG situation is getting out of control. We really need to SERIOUSLY address this concern.

Other than that I really don't have a lot of bad stuff to say from this standpoint. We had a lot of guys who were banged up! On both OL & DL which is why we couldn't get a lot of push. So I will reserve my judgement on that later. We DO however need to get the proper calls in quicker to our defensive players quicker. It seemed a lot that BG saw we were trying to get our right set in and couldn't because we were too busy looking at our staff to get the right look in.

'Merica Dawg
10-14-2013, 08:21 AM
I agree with you and BG came to DWS to play... I am not sure we did... I just have a few questions to add.

1. Did I see Mullen running a two minute offense.... or was that actually some up-tempo with dak? (I don't remember how much time was left but I am sure it was in the 2nd qtr)
2. Why do we still depend on the read-option on short 3rd down situations!? Oh yea.... probably because we don't have an actual fullback.
3. Why can't we seem to do shit on offense in the second half?
4. Lastly, why do we not do well defending the read-option? Don't our guys SEE that everyday during practice?

BogeyGolfer
10-14-2013, 08:28 AM
The counter, read option and simple run plays were guard pulls and fullback leads... If not, USC and Bama will roll up huge rushing #'s on us... I'm not worried bout BG game that much. A win is a win...

Tbonewannabe
10-14-2013, 08:54 AM
What happened to the fullback named Shumpert?

slickdawg
10-14-2013, 08:57 AM
What happened to the fullback named Shumpert?

Career ending health problems.

slickdawg
10-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Anyone notice Nick Griffin lined up at FB in the I formation?

HoopsDawg
10-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Anyone notice Nick Griffin lined up at FB in the I formation?

We could run some nice 2 back sets with A. Shumpert and N. Griffin rotating as lead blockers and Perkins and JRob toting the rock. And Dak, of course, at QB. I also need to see more Fred Ross on the outside.

Coach 57
10-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Bogey is right here too. We must get better at defending said plays or we will be in trouble Vs those teams.

Now to answer (or try to) some of your questions.

1.) yes we actually DID go uptempo earlier in the game I believe it was later in the 2nd just to give them a different look. We didn't need to do it as we had time. But it helped Justin Senior out a lot as he was able to catch his DE on his heels from not knowing the snap count.

2.) yes I agree we need a conventional FB/ H-back to help with our running game. Hannarahn & Hemphill were key additions to that physical style of running we used to possess.

3.) good question. We aren't adjusting to their adjustments made. But then again don't read TOO much into this game.

4.) this is the biggest thing I see we can do to improve our defense. It prevents LBs from having to come up if EVERYBODY plays assignment football! This is what bothered me the most about Eulls playing so much. He is too slow to get to the edge & hold it down.

Coach 57
10-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Guys every time we went to the split back set it created mismatches deep & intermediate for our QBs to throw the ball. You as a defense are forced to load the box! If said RBs are blitz pick up artists & good receivers this will be a set that Mullen needs to hang his hat on ESPECIALLY with Dak using it.

maroonmania
10-14-2013, 09:20 AM
I agree with you and BG came to DWS to play... I am not sure we did... I just have a few questions to add.

1. Did I see Mullen running a two minute offense.... or was that actually some up-tempo with dak? (I don't remember how much time was left but I am sure it was in the 2nd qtr)
2. Why do we still depend on the read-option on short 3rd down situations!? Oh yea.... probably because we don't have an actual fullback.
3. Why can't we seem to do shit on offense in the second half?
4. Lastly, why do we not do well defending the read-option? Don't our guys SEE that everyday during practice?

I don't know but if we don't get the read option figured out by Thanksgiving the Bears will put up 40+ points on us.

'Merica Dawg
10-14-2013, 11:18 AM
I don't know but if we don't get the read option figured out by Thanksgiving the Bears will put up 40+ points on us.

it baffles me at how we suck at defending this offensive concept... Now, I am not at practice everyday but does our offense destroy the defense with the read-option? From the looks of how we play during the games, i would think so.

mic
10-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Guys every time we went to the split back set it created mismatches deep & intermediate for our QBs to throw the ball. You as a defense are forced to load the box! If said RBs are blitz pick up artists & good receivers this will be a set that Mullen needs to hang his hat on ESPECIALLY with Dak using it.

Coach I have been saying this all year.. Even with Russell in the game we can do this. Extra blocker for TR in the passing game. Can use the backs out of back field for wheel routes and swing passes making LB's defend them thus opening up the middle of the field for our TE's . And with Dak in there with the 2 back set the options are endless.. We have the backs to run this a lot.!!!!!!
And we can go Big with this formation. Double TE's with our best blocking TE and play a little big boy football at times.
Dak Qb... Jrob & Griif in backfield... combo of Hill Malcom or Rufus at TE.. and your best blocking WR (prob RoJo).

'Merica Dawg
10-14-2013, 11:39 AM
speaking of double TE sets... what happened to all that under center talk Mullen was boasting pre-season? I actually had forgotten about it.