PDA

View Full Version : Couch to Transfer per Twitter

HoopsCoach21
09-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Hate to see him go but after not even playing the first 2 games I can't say I'm surprised.

Cooterpoot
09-13-2018, 11:13 AM
There's another transfer too. Should be announced soon.

msstate7
09-13-2018, 11:14 AM
There's another transfer too. Should be announced soon.

I really hope this we may only sign 18 crap is just talk. We need a full class

Saltydog
09-13-2018, 11:16 AM
a lot of "quality" depth so losing players like this does hurt.

Cooterpoot
09-13-2018, 11:16 AM

Yep. You're going to start seeing some movement the next couple weeks I think.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-13-2018, 11:17 AM

The 18 talk was because we have 18 Sr on scholarship. That's the absolute minimum we could possibly sign. We were never gonna sign just 18.

Irondawg
09-13-2018, 11:18 AM
I guess it's immediate?

mstatefan91
09-13-2018, 11:21 AM
Malik Dear next? That’s just a guess

Coursesuper
09-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Malik Dear next? That’s just a guess

I'd bet that is a good guess, but I could also see some subtraction at the TE spot.

Matty Dispatch
09-13-2018, 11:24 AM

Yeah, wish he would have just asked to redshirt this year so he could transfer in January, unless there was a severe injury where he needed to play. But I'm sure he wanted a full two years at another school, hard to blame him for that.

Cary Hudson's little bro
09-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Couch should've been a LB like coaches told him...

Irondawg
09-13-2018, 11:28 AM
Roberson would be a guess as well - he's buried on that depth chart at TE

1bigdawg
09-13-2018, 11:29 AM
Not surprising whatsoever but in all honesty a program like ours doesn't always have a lot of "quality" depth so losing players like this does hurt.

Depth does not help if it is not "quality."

Irondawg
09-13-2018, 11:30 AM

I do kinda wonder how that would have gone. It seems to be working out for Watson who has been getting rave reviews with his move there. They were pretty similar players coming out of HS.

Captain Falcon
09-13-2018, 11:32 AM

I think he’s a shining example of Mullen’s failures at WR recruiting. He was not an SEC receiver, but we had to play him there out of necessity. Meanwhile, this was the same year Ole Miss signed A.J Brown right out of our back yard.

Tbonewannabe
09-13-2018, 11:44 AM
Couch seemed like he could bulk up for a receiving TE but he didn't seem to have the speed of Mitchell, Guidry, Whop, or Austin Williams at the outside WR. And like someone else said, we already have 3 good TEs with Jones being possibly great. Hard to say if this is a big loss. I am surprised Lee at RB hasn't transferred. He seems like a good RB but just has a lot of speed and talent in front of him.

Lord McBuckethead
09-13-2018, 11:48 AM
Hate to see him go. Wish he would have played the remainder of the season with the understanding from Joe that he would redshirt if possible. Heck, he may have already redshirted, not sure.

Saltydog
09-13-2018, 11:48 AM
this year and '14 but for the most part we don't have it year in, year out.

LC Dawg
09-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Couch seemed like he could bulk up for a receiving TE but he didn't seem to have the speed of Mitchell, Guidry, Whop, or Austin Williams at the outside WR. And like someone else said, we already have 3 good TEs with Jones being possibly great. Hard to say if this is a big loss. I am surprised Lee at RB hasn't transferred. He seems like a good RB but just has a lot of speed and talent in front of him.

I loved us getting Dontavian a td against SFA. That guy has worked hard and done all the dirty work on special teams and scout teams throughout his career. That td drive seemed like a reward for him.

Tbonewannabe
09-13-2018, 11:58 AM
I loved us getting Dontavian a td against SFA. That guy has worked hard and done all the dirty work on special teams and scout teams throughout his career. That td drive seemed like a reward for him.

He honestly would have been one of the better RBs under Mullen. It just so happens that Kylin is a superstar in the making and Aeris (more complete back) and Gibson (more speed) are in front of him. I am happy to have him because he is a good player but I wouldn't blame him if he went somewhere that he could get more carries.

Dawgology
09-13-2018, 12:11 PM
I think he’s a shining example of Mullen’s failures at WR recruiting. He was not an SEC receiver, but we had to play him there out of necessity. Meanwhile, this was the same year Ole Miss signed A.J Brown right out of our back yard.

This is the biggest reason I despise Mullen now. Not that he left but that he was a "QB coach" that didn't know how to recruit receivers. You know...an important part of the QB throw and catch strategy....

dawgday166
09-13-2018, 12:13 PM

Not a big loss. He barely catches the ball when open, much less when covered.

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2018, 12:22 PM
Good. Attrition is good.

Best of luck to Jamal.

This allows us to sign another player that can actually play for us.

msstate7
09-13-2018, 12:22 PM
This is the biggest reason I despise Mullen now. Not that he left but that he was a "QB coach" that didn't know how to recruit receivers. You know...an important part of the QB throw and catch strategy....

You know we're a top 20 team and Moorhead walked into the most talented team of any of the first year coaches. Ignore the rest of the roster and despise Mullen for not leaving us the best WRs

Matty Dispatch
09-13-2018, 12:30 PM

I'd say he didn't know how to develop receivers other than Bear Wilson. Morrow was a 4-star. Couch and Todd had the size. He was able to get plenty of production from the slot but outside of Fred Ross none of the several 4-star WR he signed ever panned out.

ETA: he did recruit poorly, but the production should have been better than it was based on the talent we did sign.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Good. Attrition is good.

Best of luck to Jamal.

This allows us to sign another player that can actually play for us.

This. Moorhead has his idea of what he wants in players and I'm sure he's gonna improve our roster and depth.

Doggie_Style
09-13-2018, 12:32 PM
I think to some extent we are seeing the effect of Moorhead's system. He doesn't want to do things by committee, he wants his best play makers on the field as much as practicable. That approach leaves some decent talent sitting the bench most of the year but it gives the team the best chance to win. I can't really blame the guys that think they can get better exposure elsewhere.

Johnson85
09-13-2018, 12:36 PM
Hate to see him go but after not even playing the first 2 games I can't say I'm surprised.

So what does he get from announcing now? Is it early enough for him to enroll at another school this semester? Even if it is, it doesn't change the fact taht he will have to sit out all next fall semester, correct?

Is it just so he gets an extra few months of practice in at his new school?

msbulldog
09-13-2018, 12:38 PM
I wish him much luck!

Ari Gold
09-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Hate to see him go. Wish he would have played the remainder of the season with the understanding from Joe that he would redshirt if possible. Heck, he may have already redshirted, not sure.

If he wasn?t going to crack our 2deep this year another redshirt year wasn?t going to help him.

Dawg61
09-13-2018, 12:52 PM
Goes to show how shitty Mullen was at identifying WRs. Todd & Couch are both gone and Mullen buried Osirus Mitchell on the depth chart. Osirus is our #2 WR this year.

deltadawg99
09-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Best of luck to Jamal.

Mullen’s WR recruiting and lack of consistency with OL recruiting is ridiculous.

He had no problem getting quality slot guys like Bumpis, but was awful at recruiting a true X receiver that could stretch the field, with the exception of Bear and the only reason we even offered him was because of Brewster.

Ari Gold
09-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Best of luck to Jamal.

Mullen’s WR recruiting and lack of consistency with OL recruiting is ridiculous.

He had no problem getting quality slot guys like Bumpis, but was awful at recruiting a true X receiver that could stretch the field, with the exception of Bear and the only reason we even offered him was because of Brewster.

As much on Gonzo as it was Mullen. Both very poor recruiters , and Gonzo may even be a worse Position coach

thf24
09-13-2018, 03:47 PM

Dan Mullen the great QB coach is a myth. He's a great coach of athletes to play the QB position in his offense; not a great quarterbacks coach. Out of all of his success stories, he took exactly one player, Dak, from raw to elite (by college standards) as a passer. All the others either came to him already skilled passers (Smith, Leak, Russell) or left him/he left still mediocre passers with obvious flaws (Tebow, Relf, Fitz). Another point that stands out to me is that he failed to get anything out of Staley, a talented passer and good athlete.

deltadawg99
09-13-2018, 03:59 PM
As much on Gonzo as it was Mullen. Both very poor recruiters , and Gonzo may even be a worse Position coach

Fact. Going to be interesting if UF tries to make Mullen make changes to his offensive staff if they don’t improve. Which one off his boys does he throw under the bus?

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2018, 04:00 PM
Dan Mullen the great QB coach is a myth. He's a great coach of athletes to play the QB position in his offense; not a great quarterbacks coach. Out of all of his success stories, he took exactly one player, Dak, from raw to elite (by college standards) as a passer. All the others either came to him already skilled passers (Smith, Leak, Russell) or left him/he left still mediocre passers with obvious flaws (Tebow, Relf, Fitz). Another point that stands out to me is that he failed to get anything out of Staley, a talented passer and good athlete.

Agree with everything except the Staley comment. Staley had some talent, but it?s not like he left State and went on to bigger and better things. He rode the bench at Tyler JUCO, then was mediocre at best at Morgan State, and now playing basketball at NAIA Dalton State. Nick Tiano was much better than Staley and is starting at UTC

BankerDog
09-13-2018, 04:24 PM
Here's a thought when talking about 4*s...maybe not all 4*s aren't really a 4*. Look at a Joe Morrow, Peters (although he is being touted a 1st RD pick), Leo Lewis, Couch (recruited as a LB by several SEC schools), Jake Thomas, Damien Robinson, etc.

Of our starting OL this year, our weakest spot may be RT and he was a 4*. Others were 2* or 3* guys. Williams, Calhoun, and Jenkins are expected to be drafted within the top four rounds of the draft.

Kendall Jones was another "Nike Opening" kid and Grant Harris was a "can't miss prospect" but both haven't done anything significant here.

As I listed above Peters and Lewis haven't really done as much as the hype coming in would lead you to believe. So is this a problem of expecting too much out of higher ranked guys or just "wannabe" scouts missing out on evaluations at 7v7 tournaments?

somebodyshotmypaw
09-13-2018, 07:21 PM
I really thought we needed one of our 3 tall existing receivers to play well this year. The three were Todd, Couch, and Mitchell. I thought it would be Todd. Mitchell is the only one left. We need him

Barkman Turner Overdrive
09-14-2018, 06:12 PM
Fact. Going to be interesting if UF tries to make Mullen make changes to his offensive staff if they don’t improve. Which one off his boys does he throw under the bus?

Spurrier, er i mean, Foley, er I mean, Strickland will demand both John Fatassasey and Gonzo both be gone NLT this time next year. As Boobie would say, “it’s gone be fun, fun, fun.”

justwin
09-14-2018, 06:48 PM
He should go to Chattanooga & light it up with Tiano next 2 years. Didn?t T.O. Go there?

Pit Bull
09-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Just hope we dont have any games that will be decided by a MSU FG over 40 yds.