PDA

View Full Version : Harsh Take on Florida Football (It's Gold!)

TrapGame
09-12-2018, 10:54 AM
https://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2018/9/10/17841160/blatant-homerism-kentucky

Got a great MSU tip of the hat too:

These are all real harsh terms. The good news is that Dan Mullen managed to make Mississippi State competitive to the point where right now they?re arguably a much better football team and program than Florida. That should be apparent when the Bulldogs kick Florida?s ass in two weeks, and Kylin Hill runs for three hundred yards on a defense coached by a sentient mound of Underwood Deviled Ham Spread. That will happen. Prepare yourself appropriately for it.

Oh, that's awesome. I can't wait until Sept 29th.

Dawg61
09-12-2018, 11:36 AM
He went in

TUSK
09-12-2018, 12:05 PM
you cats are gonna dig this linked article:

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-Gators-Football-UF-working-to-strain-harder-in-practices-after-UK-loss-121752888/

Jack Lambert
09-12-2018, 12:16 PM
Florida losing to KY probably helped us in the KY game.

thf24
09-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Reading between the lines, a lot of the points blame the past and sound optimistic about the future, but they're going to find out that they've got same old Dan and that he's more responsible for a lot of what they did poorly in the UK game than they think. Same old Dan did great things for us, but won't be good enough for them.

I'll say it again, Franks at the helm and a weak running game screams 2012 Tyler Russell offense.

Martianlander
09-12-2018, 01:14 PM
Dear Florida Board of Regents:

Thank you so much for helping us upgrade our athletic program. You decided to downgrade and we appreciate it. At first people were upset you got Scott Strickland. Now we see what you were up to. You knew we needed an AD such as John Cohen who is Mississippi State all the way.
Then you and Scott got 7 and 5 maybe 8 and 4 (at Mississippi State) Dan Mullen off our hands for a coach with a higher ceiling.
By the way if you get tired of Mullen I hear Rick Ray also coaches football.

Warmest regards,

Martianlander and most of the Elite Dawg crew

TrapGame
09-12-2018, 01:28 PM

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-Gators-Football-UF-working-to-strain-harder-in-practices-after-UK-loss-121752888/

The comments are hilarious. They think Dan is gonna clean up that mess in two or three years. NOPE! This is a major rebuild and Mullen ain't got the stones for it.

Jack Lambert
09-12-2018, 01:32 PM
The comments are hilarious. They think Dan is gonna clean up that mess in two or three years. NOPE! This is a major rebuild and Mullen ain't got the stones for it.

In reality the only thing Mullen is missing as a coach is recruiting. If he can get that down and stop being so lazy he could step up as a great coach. Also he needs to get rid of buddies on his staff.

TUSK
09-12-2018, 01:39 PM
In reality the only thing Mullen is missing as a coach is recruiting. If he can get that down and stop being so lazy he could step up as a great coach. Also he needs to get rid of buddies on his staff.

I'm with you on that, Jack... He needs to can his bros (or move them off the field/recruiting trail) and hire him some straight up assassins.. ie- Rodney Garner, Ronnie Cottrell, Trooper Taylor, Ed Orgeron etc... Then get in the road/air.

1bigdawg
09-12-2018, 01:40 PM

You are being redundant. The buddies on his staff are lazy recruiters and contribute to his lazy recruiting.

Jack Lambert
09-12-2018, 01:41 PM
You are being redundant. The buddies on his staff are lazy recruiters and contribute to his lazy recruiting.

True!

fishwater99
09-12-2018, 01:51 PM

I disagree. ******* is a one trick offensive pony, he can not adapt. He makes bad in game decisions also.

He won't last more than 4 seasons tops...

Jack Lambert
09-12-2018, 01:57 PM
I disagree. ******* is a one trick offensive pony, he can not adapt. He makes bad in game decisions also.

Good Point.

TrapGame
09-12-2018, 02:01 PM

Remember that anonymous coach quote a few years ago about Dan running the same three or four plays over and over. We grumbled about it but it was an undeniable truth.

Dan Mullen will always be Dan Mullen. He never adapted or changed in nine years. The country club and his lack of offensive creativity are evidence of that. He does not have it in him to endure a grueling rebuild of a blue blood program. And let's be honest that fan base ain't got it in them either. They want it yesterday.

BulldogBear
09-12-2018, 02:15 PM
Remember that anonymous coach quote a few years ago about Dan running the same three or four plays over and over. We grumbled about it but it was an undeniable truth.

Dan Mullen will always be Dan Mullen. He never adapted or changed in nine years. The country club and his lack of offensive creativity are evidence of that. He does not have it in him to endure a grueling rebuild of a blue blood program. And let's be honest that fan base ain't got it in them either. They want it yesterday.

This^

Even he convinced himself MSU was the problem. He thinks going to Florida will solve his woes and it will recruit itself

BhamFour
09-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Mullen blames people not going hard at practice. Why wasn't this a problem before losing to KY?

Seems there would be ample evidence of his weekly interviews discussing how they are working on physicality in practices. Instead, him and his coordinators say what good practices they are having.

BrunswickDawg
09-12-2018, 02:20 PM
Reading between the lines, a lot of the points blame the past and sound optimistic about the future, but they're going to find out that they've got same old Dan and that he's more responsible for a lot of what they did poorly in the UK game than they think. Same old Dan did great things for us, but won't be good enough for them.

I'll say it again, Franks at the helm and a weak running game screams 2012 Tyler Russell offense.

It’s the Tyler Russell Offense with no Perkins to get yards on the ground. Gonna be a long season in the Swamp

TrapGame
09-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Mullen blames people not going hard at practice. Why wasn't this a problem before losing to KY?

Seems there would be ample evidence of his weekly interviews discussing how they are working on physicality in practices. Instead, him and his coordinators say what good practices they are having.

And in the comments from the article Tusk linked there are several talking about how physical Urban's practices were. It was just like a real game. And some other comments mention Dan's "soft" practices and that McE had more intense practices. Dan is in a pickle for sure.

dawgs
09-12-2018, 02:54 PM

Yeah I was gonna say that his in game play calling is suspect for sure. Works fine to run a QB power on EVERY SINGLE 3RD DOWN against teams with less talent, but that won't fly against the upper echelon on the sec. just look at his record against ranked teams at MSU. It wasn't that we couldn't compete talent-wise with most of them, it's that we ran the most vanilla spread offense I've ever seen.

TrapGame
09-12-2018, 03:01 PM
Yeah I was gonna say that his in game play calling is suspect for sure. Works fine to run a QB power on EVERY SINGLE 3RD DOWN against teams with less talent, but that won't fly against the upper echelon on the sec. just look at his record against ranked teams at MSU. It wasn't that we couldn't compete talent-wise with most of them, it's that we ran the most vanilla spread offense I've ever seen.

Hugh Freeze ran a better spread offensive scheme than Dan Mullen.

WyldStallyns
09-12-2018, 03:08 PM
It?s the Tyler Russell Offense with no Perkins to get yards on the ground. Gonna be a long season in the Swamp

Mullen is great with players who fit perfectly into his system. He's not flexible enough to maximize the talents of players that have different skill sets. I remember being very frustrated over the designed draws for Russell and not running more screens for Perkins. That's where Moorhead is going to really shine. The story of how he still was successful with is QB at Fordham after the QB's run game was taken away says a lot about his adaptability as a coach.

Jack Lambert
09-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Hugh Freeze ran a better spread offensive scheme than Dan Mullen.

And JWS won more games.

Turfdawg67
09-12-2018, 07:09 PM
Relentess Effort!! LOL!

Cowbell
09-12-2018, 09:08 PM

Thanks for referencing this solid gold reading material! So much in this article screams Danny is mediocrity at its finest. Attitude reflects leadership! If these players are really showing this much lack of effort, Don should have been on top of it before the season started. He is throwing these boys under the bus because he thinks he can since they weren?t recruited by him.

I have despised Dan since about midway through his tenure for things like this. He is the kid in high school that always weasels his way out of a butt-whooppin but would have benefited it for a lifetime.

Todd4State
09-12-2018, 11:14 PM

You're right about Dan but like others have said he simply won't do it.

It will be interesting to see what happens at Florida in a couple of years (I fully expect him to blame Grantham for this year) when I suspect that they demand he make significant changes to his offensive staff because of recruiting. It would make him unhappy but it would also probably be one of those "best things to ever happen" to him situations.

BulldogBear
09-12-2018, 11:37 PM
"Florida football is living on an air mattress in an unfurnished apartment right now."

Solid Gold

dawgday166
09-13-2018, 04:55 AM

I wouldn't quite say that's the only thing he's missing Jack. The game against KY the other night reminded me some of the OM game in 2014. Mullen and staff take opponents for granted here and there. That's why we had quite a few pretty close games (or losses sometimes) against inferior competition. That's why they're the Country Club boys.

The things I think he's missing are:

1) Taking inferior opponents lightly. (OM, USA, etc. at MSU, KY at FL although they probably aren't inferior this year, but Mullen just probably thought "they're UK, I own them"). He doesn't always "STRAIN" himself to get the victory. That's why he could piss me off so freakin much at times. Again, they're the CC boys.

ETA: I'm so damn glad "STRAIN" ain't a part of our football vernacular now.

2) When #1 happens, he tends to toss DCs under the bus (Collins/Diaz at State, Grantham a little the other night). The O is never the main culprit in a loss.

3) He NEVER is harshly critical of Hev or the offensive coaches, although his offense most times vastly under performs the D in losses and the Oline can look like a sieve at times, like it did the other night. Go back and look at the stats. Outside of '14 and '16, the D outperformed the O in every other year under Mullen. That's why I'd shake my damn head when folks would say we "never had to worry about scoring points with Mullen as coach". Every year he had 4 to 5 games when the O would score 20 or fewer points. In '14 we only had 3 of those, but the other years I believe it was a minimum of 4 each year.

4) He doesn't coach well in tight ball games late in the game. The only times he wins those are against vastly inferior opponents. Against the upper tier teams on a par with his own, he gets that deer in the headlights look in tight ballgames. He's a front runner and coaches well when his teams jump on other closely matched or slight superior teams early in ball games.

I'm thinking he'll tighten it up now and FL will play better for a while now. We still don't need to take them too lightly. He probably will put forth his best effort and strain a little prior to coming to the Ville in 2 weeks. If we play even just like we played against KSU (minus a superior passing game) we should lay a beat down on them tho.

MagicDawg
09-13-2018, 07:00 AM
It is hilarious to watch the implosion starting in Gainesville. I have Florida fans around me here in Atlanta who are still shellshocked. They expected "National championship OC Mullen returns triumphantly to the Swamp to pick up where he left off," who was supposed to be better than "sleepwalking Mullen phoning it in while slumming at State and still doing a respectable job most seasons. They got "in-over-his-head, change-resistant Mullen whose deficiencies are magnified by high-pressure situations."

I think we will see that Mullen was more successful at State because our program has qualities that ameliorated and compensated for some of his (arrogant) character flaws, while Florida's characteristics tend to reinforce them.

bulldawg28
09-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Florida losing to KY probably helped us in the KY game.

It's the opposite. Kentucky now thinks they can beat us. They just snapped a 31year streak.