PDA

View Full Version : Can KT red shirt if he only plays in four games?

Jack Lambert
09-12-2018, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure if that rule only applies to Freshman. He didn't play at all Saturday. I wonder if that is in the back of Moorhead mind at this point?

Dawgology
09-12-2018, 09:50 AM
I thought he played there at the end of the game? Who was that?

RiverCityDawg
09-12-2018, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure if that rule only applies to Freshman. He didn't play at all Saturday. I wonder if that is in the back of Moorhead mind at this point?

He can (but he won't). It doesn't. It's not.

Jack Lambert
09-12-2018, 09:57 AM
I thought he played there at the end of the game? Who was that?

I didn't notice. I thought Fitz was in there on the last o snap. By that point I was ready to move on to the next game so I might have just didn't notice it.

Dawg61
09-12-2018, 10:17 AM
Key got in for two snaps vs KSU

KOdawg1
09-12-2018, 10:19 AM
Key got in for two snaps vs KSU
Which means they have no intentions of redshirting him

Dawg61
09-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Whop also got two snaps

Buddy
09-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Moorhead said before the season that KT would not redshirt. I thought they should have gone into the season with the option of redshirting him if possible, but Moorhead shot that down before the season started.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-12-2018, 10:42 AM
Why does this question continue to come up?? Why would you want to redshirt your only proven backup QB. The time is now to make our run and we may need KT's help to make it happen.

Johnson85
09-12-2018, 10:55 AM
Why does this question continue to come up?? Why would you want to redshirt your only proven backup QB. The time is now to make our run and we may need KT's help to make it happen.

Plus we have Mayden behind him and Moorhead's recruit out of ?south carolina I think?.

If we redshirt KT, that probably just guarantees that one of those three end up transferring.

Liverpooldawg
09-12-2018, 11:00 AM
Moorhead is on record saying that he will NOT redshirt.

Jack Lambert
09-12-2018, 11:01 AM

Things change through the course of the season and coaches can change what they intend to do. Since he played Saturday I doubt he has any intention of red shirting him. Red shirting when you can is how you build a deep roster.

Cowbell
09-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Things change through the course of the season and coaches can change what they intend to do. Since he played Saturday I doubt he has any intention of red shirting him. Red shirting when you can is how you build a deep roster.

KT is at the point where game reps are what he needs to improve so I?m sure Moorhead is making sure he is ready to handle the load next year.

Jarius
09-12-2018, 11:46 AM

Because he can play in 4 games and still redshirt in a season where he is not going to be needed unless we have an injury. That is why it keeps coming up. 2 snaps in garbage time against KSU handing the ball off was useless.

Hot Rock
09-12-2018, 11:57 AM
It's not just about next year but this year. KT needs every rep he can get to be ready right now. Your backup QB is always one snap away from being in there.

You cannot effectively redshirt a backup QB by limiting his game actions unless he is already fairly close to ready to go. I think of Hurts @ Bama or in the NFL where they expect their backups to already be a Pro.

Sure, a QB can get better in practice but nothing is like game speed. You can learn a lot about flying an airplane in a simulator but you better have actually flown one a few times before the shit hits the fan.

Jarius
09-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Handing the ball off against KSU 2 times did nothing for his development. You and I can do that. In the 8 conference games he may get into 2 of them due to the game being a blowout. You can manage it to where he gets 4 games of experience and he gets an extra year. I do not like just abandoning that strategy in game 2. He is clearly the backup and will not play meaningful reps after ULL and tech.

Buddy
09-12-2018, 12:10 PM
It's not just about next year but this year. KT needs every rep he can get to be ready right now. Your backup QB is always one snap away from being in there.

You cannot effectively redshirt a backup QB by limiting his game actions unless he is already fairly close to ready to go. I think of Hurts @ Bama or in the NFL where they expect their backups to already be a Pro.

Sure, a QB can get better in practice but nothing is like game speed. You can learn a lot about flying an airplane in a simulator but you better have actually flown one a few times before the shit hits the fan.

If we'd played our cards right, we could do this and still redshirt KT. He played the whole game against SFA. That was valuable experience. He played two snaps against KSU and that counted as one of his 4 games. What experience did he gain from those 2 snaps? That was useless.... should have kept him on the bench. There will probably be an opportunity this week to play him for a quarter and a half or so... that's more valuable experience. Probably won't play against UK, Florida or Auburn unless Nick goes down. You play him again against La Tech to gain more experience.... and you'd still have one more game that he could play in without losing his redshirt year.

JoMo said he wasn't going to redshirt so this is all mute anyway, but if we'd done things differently we could have given him valuable game reps AND saved a year of eligibility for him unless Nick goes down to injury. I think that's what most State fans were hoping for but that's not going to happen now.

So next year, you have 3 QB's on the roster.... KT a junior with 2 years to play, Mayden a RS FR and Schrader a true FR. I'd prefer KT have 3 years left to play starting next year.

confucius say
09-12-2018, 12:24 PM
The guy we need to redshirt is Spencer. Very good player who has not redshirted yet and is buried on the depth chart.

Dawg61
09-12-2018, 12:50 PM
Imagine having only played in 4 games and it's the egg bowl or bowl game and Fitz's helmet pops off forcing him to leave for one snap.

Hot Rock
09-12-2018, 12:51 PM
And if you redshirted him, you might end up with two if one of those left. If's and but's I know but that is real in today's game.

Jarius
09-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Imagine having only played in 4 games and it's the egg bowl or bowl game and Fitz's helmet pops off forcing him to leave for one snap.

He’s not going to play meaningful snaps in more than 4 games this year anyway unless we have an injury. Throwing him in there to hand it off twice did not help anything.

RiverCityDawg
09-12-2018, 02:47 PM
He’s not going to play meaningful snaps in more than 4 games this year anyway unless we have an injury. Throwing him in there to hand it off twice did not help anything.

Moorhead said in the opening season press conference when he first answered this question that we would have some 2-QB packages, so unless he changes his mind I don't think you're right on this. They ran a suprising amount of 2-QB at Penn State last year. Some plays the other guy is lined up like a TE and some he's like a RB. We'll see if he actually uses it.