PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain to me what happened with Tiger?

CadaverDawg
04-13-2013, 01:15 PM
I had to leave after he played 14 yesterday, and then I am reading things on the message board today about losing strokes and shit. I don't want to turn it off of the State game, so hopefully someone can fill me in on what happened and what all the fuss is about.

State82
04-13-2013, 02:48 PM
On 15, he hit the flag on his approach and it ended up in the water. His drop was not in the appropriate spot. Although officials did not initially say anything about it, they reviewed it later and determined it was not a legal drop and penalized him. I think that's it in very simple terms. Don't really know all the intricate rules details in what actually transpired.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2013, 03:13 PM
He talked too much... The officials only became aware of it when he said in his post-round interview "I went back to where I played it from, but I went 2yards further back and I took, tried to take two yards off the shot of what I felt I hit.''

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters13/story/_/id/9167230/2013-masters-tiger-penalized-2-strokes-ball-drop-15

The rule committee determined 2 yards was not close enough to his original spot.

GTAdawg
04-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Pretty much what the first two guys explained is what transpired, but the real "controversy" comes with whether or to Tiger should be DQ'ed or not. For decades the standard rule of golf is if the player signs an incorrect scorecard that automatically DQ's them no questions asked. However, the USGA added an amended rule to say that if the player unknowingly broke a rule and subsequently signs his card he can take a 2 stroke penalty(which is what Tiger got) as opposed from DQ'ed.

Personally I think situation was handled appropriately by all parties and everyone should move on. But some just have to kick up rocks because its Tiger.