PDA

View Full Version : I may be the only one

Ezsoil
09-11-2018, 08:55 PM
I believe this OLine is as elite as any in the conference. Going back to last season, they have been blowing people off the line, creating HUGE holes to run and great pass protection. Saturday, if they had wanted, MSU could have run for 500 yards. Soon teams will have to stack the box and respect the run with the added dimension of running power QB ...there will be some wide open receivers and Fitz will make those throws.... honestly I'm not worried until November 10th.

I seen it dawg
09-11-2018, 08:59 PM
You're not the only one

Commercecomet24
09-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Our OL is leading the nation in offensive line efficiency rating! #1

WSOPdawg
09-12-2018, 08:05 AM
Our OL is leading the nation in offensive line efficiency rating! #1

Commerce, that's cool. I didn't see that stat on the ncaa site. Do you have a link?

Lord McBuckethead
09-12-2018, 09:06 AM
I agree. These guys have punched everyone in the face and pushed them wherever they have wanted. I like our new blocking schemes and right now it looks like our RPO/running game/OL Scheme are the best part of our team. They clearly have clicked in this new system before other aspects of the Offense. Which is great.

ShotgunDawg
09-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Agree. I think they need to clean up the pass blocking a bit, but, as far as run blocking, they've been incredible

MetEdDawg
09-12-2018, 09:27 AM
Preseason I saw a lot of folks say that we had a Top 3 OL in the conference. I firmly believe that to be true. I think one of the things that's going to help us in our big games are the battles in the trenches. Auburn has a great DL. But our OL is definitely good enough to handle them enough times to scores the points needed to win that game.

I think the reason we win big games this year is because our DL and OL will dominate too much of the game for the other team to get enough going consistently.

Jack Lambert
09-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Not to be the debbie downer but the lack of sacks given up is due partly to the two QB's ability to run. Fitz and KT were both under duress several times in the two games. Now not too much in the first but a good bit the second. Now that could have something to do with the DE being off sides every play. But we do have a really good O-Line.

bostondawg
09-12-2018, 09:45 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dm18k-iV4AAUSq4.jpg

Commercecomet24
09-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Delete

Commercecomet24
09-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Commerce, that's cool. I didn't see that stat on the ncaa site. Do you have a link?

Here ya go.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HailStateFB/status/1039624068679565313

Political Hack
09-12-2018, 09:50 AM
They looked really good. Elite good.

TrapGame
09-12-2018, 09:59 AM
We have a better OL and RB than Auburn. Let that sink in.

Prediction? Pain.
09-12-2018, 10:03 AM
I believe this OLine is as elite as any in the conference. Going back to last season, they have been blowing people off the line, creating HUGE holes to run and great pass protection. Saturday, if they had wanted, MSU could have run for 500 yards. Soon teams will have to stack the box and respect the run with the added dimension of running power QB ...there will be some wide open receivers and Fitz will make those throws.... honestly I'm not worried until November 10th.

I think the O-line performed at an elite level last season and that they're going to do it again this year.

I don't know what stat Commerce was referring to -- ETA: thanks for the link, Commerce -- but I know that in 2017, our line's stats were phenomenal. The website Football Outsiders (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol2017) compiles advanced stats for every O-line in college football that take into account a ton of data, such as "line yards" (raw and opponent-adjusted ypc on short-yardage and long-yardage downs (which the site calls "standard downs" and "passing downs")), "opportunity rate" (the percentage of our rushes that gain at least 5 yards), "power success rate" (percentage of successful rushes -- i.e. TDs and first downs -- on short-yardage downs), "stuff rate" (the raw rate of TFLs allowed and zero-yards rushes allowed), and "sack rates" (raw and opponent-adjusted sacks-allowed-per-passing-attempt rates for standard and passing downs).

Here is where our O-line ranked nationally in those statistical categories at the end of 2017:

Adjusted Line Yards - 19th
Standard Down Line Yards - 7th
Passing Down Line Yards - 29th
Opportunity Rate - 6th
Power Success Rate - 2nd
Stuff Rate - 7th
Adjusted Sack Rate - 7th
Standard Down Sack Rate - 20th
Passing Down Sack Rate - 17th

Those numbers are ridiculous. No other line in the SEC came close to that. Bama's and Auburn's raw and adjusted sack-rate ranks were all 92nd or worse and UGA's sack and power success rates ranked from the mid-40s down to the 110s. The O-lines on the elite teams from elsewhere were likewise not as consistently good across the board as ours, including the lines for Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio St.

Football Outsiders won't post the 2018 stats for O-lines until closer to midway through the season, but I would expect us to be ranked similarly or better after two games. We're first in the SEC in TFLs allowed, sacks allowed, and yards per carry. Granted, our competition level so far isn't as great as some other teams in the conference, but based on how great our line was last year, I see no reason to think that we're doing anything other than picking up where we left off.

Hot Rock
09-12-2018, 10:19 AM
Yes, I QB was under pressure.. They brought than we could block a few times. That's not on the O-Line but the scheme and QB to recognize the situation and make decisions based on what he sees.

Get it out quick, or if they can out athlete them, do so.

Commercecomet24
09-12-2018, 10:23 AM
I think the O-line performed at an elite level last season and that they're going to do it again this year.

I don't know what stat Commerce was referring to -- ETA: thanks for the link, Commerce -- but I know that in 2017, our line's stats were phenomenal. The website Football Outsiders (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol2017) compiles advanced stats for every O-line in college football that take into account a ton of data, such as "line yards" (raw and opponent-adjusted ypc on short-yardage and long-yardage downs (which the site calls "standard downs" and "passing downs")), "opportunity rate" (the percentage of our rushes that gain at least 5 yards), "power success rate" (percentage of successful rushes -- i.e. TDs and first downs -- on short-yardage downs), "stuff rate" (the raw rate of TFLs allowed and zero-yards rushes allowed), and "sack rates" (raw and opponent-adjusted sacks-allowed-per-passing-attempt rates for standard and passing downs).

Here is where our O-line ranked nationally in those statistical categories at the end of 2017:

Opportunity Rate - 6th
Power Success Rate - 2nd
Stuff Rate - 7th
Adjusted Sack Rate - 7th

Those numbers are ridiculous. No other line in the SEC came close to that. Bama's and Auburn's raw and adjusted sack-rate ranks were all 92nd or worse and UGA's sack and power success rates ranked from the mid-40s down to the 110s. The O-lines on the elite teams from elsewhere were likewise not as consistently good across the board as ours, including the lines for Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio St.

Football Outsiders won't post the 2018 stats for O-lines until closer to midway through the season, but I would expect us to be ranked similarly or better after two games. We're first in the SEC in TFLs allowed, sacks allowed, and yards per carry. Granted, our competition level so far isn't as great as some other teams in the conference, but based on how great our line was last year, I see no reason to think that we're doing anything other than picking up where we left off.

That's great stuff! Thanks for posting that!

Commercecomet24
09-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Yes, I QB was under pressure.. They brought than we could block a few times. That's not on the O-Line but the scheme and QB to recognize the situation and make decisions based on what he sees.

This, and while Kylin is tearing it up running the ball his pass pro not so spiffy right now(I know he's still learning), also nick has missed a couple blocks in pass pro.

TrapGame
09-12-2018, 10:28 AM

Yep, they brought the house leaving man coverage on Austin Williams giving Fitz a quick strike to the end zone. Fitz did a good job recognizing coverage.

msudawglb
09-12-2018, 10:30 AM

I don't think their pass protection is that great. Fitz was being harassed a good bit Saturday. Maybe that's partially on Kylin too. I'm ready for Story to be back so that he can help with depth.

WSOPdawg
09-12-2018, 10:42 AM
Here ya go.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HailStateFB/status/1039624068679565313

Opportunity Rate - 6th
Power Success Rate - 2nd
Stuff Rate - 7th
Adjusted Sack Rate - 7th

Thanks guys. I like to follow this stuff and will check it out later in the season once it gets updated.