PDA

View Full Version : How are you stopping the Ole Miss passing attack?

Dawg61
09-11-2018, 10:32 AM
Obviously everyone is gonna run the hell outta the ball vs them but let's just keep this discussion to defense vs them. I am playing a 3-3-5 nickel defense and a 4-2-5 nickel/dime defense with the corners playing press at the line with the LBs playing zone and different blitzes and the 2-3 DBs not at the line playing zone like a free safety. Probably not blitzing much with any of the 5 DBs. The pressure needs to come from the DL or one of the blitzing LBs. The DBs main jobs are to frustrate the WRs and stick to them like glue forcing Ta'amu into making mistakes. Force OM to run the ball all game and capitalize when they get inpatient and want to be pass happy.

Also anyone getting a turnover gets to wear the dead shark logo'd bear fur coat with pimp cane, pimp hat and and huge pimp cup to drink gatorade outta. Score a TD on D you get to wear all that and sit on the dead shark throne. Might pay Jason Statham a butt load of money to roam the sidelines for one game since he's the Megladon Shark killer.

https://files.shandymedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/14182532/jason-statham-to-fight-megalodon.png

MedDawg
09-11-2018, 10:41 AM
We'll still get 6 sacks and a bunch of QB hurries.

tcdog70
09-11-2018, 10:42 AM
Pressure--will bust a lead pipe. hit the QB early and often.

Jack Lambert
09-11-2018, 10:48 AM
If tradition holds they will be starting the back up by the time the Egg Bowl rolls around. They are a one trick pony and when they face a defensive line like they are going to face this week you will see a big drop off on points scored. They are not going to have time to throw down field.

MadDawg
09-11-2018, 10:53 AM
Break the QBs ankle in the first 5 minutes of the game. Worked well for them last year.

Cooterpoot
09-11-2018, 10:56 AM
Who gives a damn? We don't play them for a couple more months. This obsession some of you have is sad.

Lord McBuckethead
09-11-2018, 10:56 AM
Wait a year.
The best way to keep them from passing it deep is:
1. You have to get pressure. But they do get the ball out quickly.
2. Keep them off the field for large chunks of time.

Political Hack
09-11-2018, 11:02 AM
I'd plan to score more than they do.

thf24
09-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Ta'amu has an arm, no doubt, but I'm going to maintain that he's overhyped until he has a good game against a decent defense. He has not done that thus far in his D-1 career.

mstatefan91
09-11-2018, 11:07 AM
The QB can’t throw from the ground

TrapGame
09-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Let's see how Bama's defense fares vs The Pearl Harbor Offense before we start getting all antsy.

Liverpooldawg
09-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Obviously everyone is gonna run the hell outta the ball vs them but let's just keep this discussion to defense vs them. I am playing a 3-3-5 nickel defense and a 4-2-5 nickel/dime defense with the corners playing press at the line with the LBs playing zone and different blitzes and the 2-3 DBs not at the line playing zone like a free safety. Probably not blitzing much with any of the 5 DBs. The pressure needs to come from the DL or one of the blitzing LBs. The DBs main jobs are to frustrate the WRs and stick to them like glue forcing Ta'amu into making mistakes. Force OM to run the ball all game and capitalize when they get inpatient and want to be pass happy.

Also anyone getting a turnover gets to wear the dead shark logo'd bear fur coat with pimp cane, pimp hat and and huge pimp cup to drink gatorade outta. Score a TD on D you get to wear all that and sit on the dead shark throne. Might pay Jason Statham a butt load of money to roam the sidelines for one game since he's the Megladon Shark killer.

https://files.shandymedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/14182532/jason-statham-to-fight-megalodon.png

Jeez...that game is over two months away.

Dawg61
09-11-2018, 11:13 AM
Who gives a damn? We don't play them for a couple more months. This obsession some of you have is sad.

Eat it Harvey

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IP81DPBHFEA/maxresdefault.jpg

EdDawg
09-11-2018, 11:29 AM
I posted this in the game thread last weekend. I would attempt an onside kick after every score. This is what SIU should have done. There was no way SIU was stopping their offense, so worst case scenario their scoring drive is 50 yards instead of 80.

I wouldn't start the game with this strategy, but if both offenses are scoring at will it's worth a shot.

ShotgunDawg
09-11-2018, 11:31 AM
The Pearl Harbor Offense

That's pretty good.

Along with GuidryGram, this board is making progress

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Last year Grantham stayed aggressive, left safeties 1 on 1 with OM WRs, and as a result every OM drive was a quick punt or a quick TD.

Vs KState, Shoop mixed in a few blitzes but largely stayed back, gave S help over the top, and kept running plays in front of them. The result was a few 10 yard runs, then the DL would make a play and the drive would stall out of scoring position. I want to do the same thing to OM. Give S help over the top to take away the bombs, dial up a blitz when we know it will get home, and trust the DL to get a sack/TFL and kill a drive. I don't press coverage; OM will quick slant me to death. I don't play way off either or I'm giving 8 yards for free. I play them normal with inside leverage, S help deep, an LB in zoneover the middle for crossing routs, a LB on the RB, and trust the 4 DL on 5/6 blockers to make a drive ending play before they get in scoring range. Even if they put together a drive, they'll have a hard time punching it in and we win easily if they kick FGs. Deep bombs are how they score... I'm not going to leave 1-on-1s deep by blitzing the house and letting 5-0 lob it up

sscjr1
09-11-2018, 12:05 PM

It's a discussion board. Would you rather discuss how to stop the ULALA rushing attack?

deltadawg99
09-11-2018, 12:19 PM
The opposing offense has to control the ball and keep their offense off the field and out of rhythm.

On defense you have to get pressure with as few guys as possible. So a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 would be ideal sets. Ta’mu has had all day throw and he stares down his #1 read every time so you have to force him to go through his progressions.

Safeties have to play well to help eliminate some of the long passes with over the top help.

They’ll get a few big plays a games, you just have to keep it at a minimum.

Liverpooldawg
09-11-2018, 12:24 PM
Why don't we wait and see how they fare against a real defense before we get all afraid of them? Some of y'all take the cake. A lot can happen in over two months.

Leroy Jenkins
09-11-2018, 12:28 PM
You cannot stop the shart, you can only hope to slow it down.

Todd4State
09-11-2018, 12:48 PM
I'd plan to score more than they do.

And not show up with Southern Illinois or Texas Tech's defense would help immensely as well.

WinningIsRelentless
09-11-2018, 01:14 PM
You have to play bump and run while bringing pressure. Ta?mu doesn?t throw underneath routes well nor does he throw well on the move.

Dawg61
09-11-2018, 01:18 PM
Why don't we wait and see how they fare against a real defense before we get all afraid of them? Some of y'all take the cake. A lot can happen in over two months.

Every other offense we face is boring to talk about and most of the posters on here are more familiar with OM's offense than the other teams we face. In short it's interesting discussion on a slow tuesday. Go wash your panties in a lake if you hate the thread and are incapable of creating a new thread you find more interesting.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-11-2018, 02:04 PM

I took this as "how can they be stopped in general?" not "how are WE gonna stop them in our game."

tcdog70
09-11-2018, 02:11 PM
I posted this in the game thread last weekend. I would attempt an onside kick after every score. This is what SIU should have done. There was no way SIU was stopping their offense, so worst case scenario their scoring drive is 50 yards instead of 80.

I wouldn't start the game with this strategy, but if both offenses are scoring at will it's worth a shot.

that is exactly what I told somebody. don't punt and on -side kick. I reffed a High School years ago They On-side kicked everytime. I asked the Coach why , he said our offense is good and our defense is terrible. he said it didn't matter where the other team had the ball at mid-field or their 20. he recovered at least 3 of the kicks in that game.

tcdog70
09-11-2018, 02:13 PM

ain't this a message board where we discuss football. I think it is a legit question.

99jc
09-11-2018, 07:50 PM
Bama is about to turn 5-0 into Hawaiian Punch.

Liverpooldawg
09-11-2018, 08:01 PM
ain't this a message board where we discuss football. I think it is a legit question.

Just pointing out that the defenses they have played are, to put it realistically and bluntly, terrible.

Coach 57
09-11-2018, 09:34 PM
You have to mix the coverages in hopes to confuse the QB while bringing pressure. You masquerade a cover 3 to look like cover 2 and play halves. If done correctly he?ll think man to man but it will be zone and vise versa on the other half. Rotate boundary coverages will throw him off & there's no way he?ll have time to make decent throws before getting hit, hurries or sacked. Hit him early & often.

The QB has and will make intermediate throws (slants, drags, stops etc etc) and their WRs will burst those into huge gains. So you have to bring the pressure in his face. For an athletic guy, he doesn?t like rolling out so you?ll have to move him off his throwing spots.

Simmons, Thomas, Spencer, Hoyett, Brown etc etc will need to get those hands up in the passing lanes if they can?t get to him to change the trajectory of his throws or tip the ball in the air.

The next thing to do is score TDs not FGs oblong sustaining drives by running clock and the football. This offense will NOT be stopped this year unless the QB is hurt. They have too many weapons. You have to slow them down & your CBs are going to have to be fighters at the LOS. AJ doesn?t like being jammed at the line, guys like Taveze (even though he?s gone) really work well against him. Peters did a decent job as a freshman at frustrating AJ.

On the other hand DK would rather you try and be physical because he can overcome it through his physical strength. Lodge is the guy that scares me the most though because you can deal with 2 guys even though it?s very hard, Lodge is the guy that makes your defense be spread out too thin. Bama will slow them down, but won?t stop them and the fact that it?s in Oxford will heighten AJ?s speed against their secondary. It?s going to be interesting to see what Saban dials up, whatever front he shows I guarantee it?ll be mixed & disguised coverages to confuse Ta?amu so it buys his DL more time to get to the QB.

dawgoneyall
09-11-2018, 09:38 PM
Cover the receivers and pressure the QB.

Simple.

lastmajordog
09-11-2018, 10:00 PM
I asked Coach 34 about this situation years ago. In Daks soph year the OM offense had killed a lot of defenses with the quick and intermediate throws over the middle all year. With a three step drop that negates most pass rush (ask Bama those 2 1/2 years they couldn?t stop them). Something DOGS did that year stopped or negated those middle throws. Also what did TCU do to kill them the year in the bowl?. It seems if someone can take the middle of the field away it would be much more difficult and much tighter windows forcing the throws between the hash marks and the sideline.....I just never understood why teams can?t take the middle of the lagoon from the sharks.....bears.....whatever they are.

Todd4State
09-11-2018, 11:06 PM
You have to mix the coverages in hopes to confuse the QB while bringing pressure. You masquerade a cover 3 to look like cover 2 and play halves. If done correctly he?ll think man to man but it will be zone and vise versa on the other half. Rotate boundary coverages will throw him off & there's no way he?ll have time to make decent throws before getting hit, hurries or sacked. Hit him early & often.

The QB has and will make intermediate throws (slants, drags, stops etc etc) and their WRs will burst those into huge gains. So you have to bring the pressure in his face. For an athletic guy, he doesn?t like rolling out so you?ll have to move him off his throwing spots.

Simmons, Thomas, Spencer, Hoyett, Brown etc etc will need to get those hands up in the passing lanes if they can?t get to him to change the trajectory of his throws or tip the ball in the air.

The next thing to do is score TDs not FGs oblong sustaining drives by running clock and the football. This offense will NOT be stopped this year unless the QB is hurt. They have too many weapons. You have to slow them down & your CBs are going to have to be fighters at the LOS. AJ doesn?t like being jammed at the line, guys like Taveze (even though he?s gone) really work well against him. Peters did a decent job as a freshman at frustrating AJ.

On the other hand DK would rather you try and be physical because he can overcome it through his physical strength. Lodge is the guy that scares me the most though because you can deal with 2 guys even though it?s very hard, Lodge is the guy that makes your defense be spread out too thin. Bama will slow them down, but won?t stop them and the fact that it?s in Oxford will heighten AJ?s speed against their secondary. It?s going to be interesting to see what Saban dials up, whatever front he shows I guarantee it?ll be mixed & disguised coverages to confuse Ta?amu so it buys his DL more time to get to the QB.

Peters is a good match up against AJ so they moved him to the slot a lot. We're going to probably most likely have Cole on AJ if I had to guess.