PDA

View Full Version : One thing I find funny is our fans bitching about the offense

Coach34
10-13-2013, 11:02 PM
So many last year were excited because we were passing the ball, and all they wanted to do is blame the defense. Now, I see the same people bitching about the offense now that Dakota has taken over. Well let's look at some stats:

2013 ..... 2012

1. Total Offense 457.5 ypg ..... 381.9 ypg
2. Scoring Offense 30.5 ppg .... 29.5 ppg
3. Passing offense 243.2 ypg ..... 237.8 ypg
4. Rushing offense 214.3 ypg ..... 144.15 ypg

Our numbers will slip some because we still have Bammer and SC to play, but we also get the SEC's 2 worst D's in Kentucky and A&M

Just something to look at while we are at the halfway point

Will James
10-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Yeah apples and oranges until the end of the year. I also take some of these numbers with a grain of salt. These numbers don't correlate as much to actual team performance. I can look at the OSU, AU, LSU, and BG games to see where we are as a team.

Coach34
10-13-2013, 11:11 PM
Yeah apples and oranges until the end of the year. I also take some of these numbers with a grain of salt. These numbers don't correlate as much to actual team performance. I can look at the OSU, AU, LSU, and BG games to see where we are as a team.

No, not apples to oranges at all. We have played some decent defenses already this year- hell, BG and Ok State are 34th and 38th in the country right now in total D. LSU in 29th....

I see an offense that is growing and getting better- and certainly improved over last year

Will James
10-13-2013, 11:22 PM
I see an offense that is growing and getting better- and certainly improved over last year

No doubt about that just making the point that these types of stats are not as good of a correlation as say baseball stats. Lets say Dak throws a 80 yd td pass there at the end of the game. Are we 15% better on offense that game? Nah. Or lets say our D gets a couple of takeaways giving us short fields for a few drives. Those numbers will be down.

Dawg61
10-13-2013, 11:24 PM
True but I still want a new OC. I'm not saying fire LK because I think he's an asset in the wrong position. Move him to recruiting coordinator or something. A good OC would have MSU avg 40 points right now. If you put the Oregon or Clemson OC here right now how many points would we be scoring?

Coach34
10-14-2013, 08:29 AM
A new OC aint gonna happen

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2013, 08:33 AM
We just don't have an identity right now as a team. Bo Bounds made a great point today, what's MSU's identity? Is it Dak or Tyler, are we good at defense or not? Do we have a field goal kicker or not?

What in the world do we do well?

We've done this for a few year now, we must develop an identity.

Coach34
10-14-2013, 08:37 AM
I agree about the identity. And that identity is being a Spread Option team. BUT- Mullen is going to show respect to his 5th year Sr- and continue to play him some.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2013, 08:44 AM
I agree about the identity. And that identity is being a Spread Option team. BUT- Mullen is going to show respect to his 5th year Sr- and continue to play him some.

It's the head coach's job to do what's best for the team and the university, not for the individual. I don't remember too many people loving our offense last year after our first 7 games, but whatever.

Dawg61
10-14-2013, 12:13 PM

Then that's a problem. Mullen is quick to change his DC but come time to look in the mirror with his offense and the mirror lies back to him.

Dannyripms
10-14-2013, 12:28 PM
The stats may be better but the team is about the same. Well not really the team as more it is the coaches. If we can get the second half adjustments down and learn a way to adapt during the game we could be a pretty dang good football team. We should of blown away bg and auburn. And we should of beat okie state. It's like we are right there but just can't get over the top. It may be more mental than anything and I truly believe it's more that than talent. Also I hate that it takes the coaching staff a few games to figure it out. All the prep work should of been done before the season started. If dak was doing great he should of started at the beginning. To me it's really on the coaching staff.

QuadrupleOption
10-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Then that's a problem. Mullen is quick to change his DC but come time to look in the mirror with his offense and the mirror lies back to him.

The problem is that we're using a QB in Russell that isn't mobile enough to keep plays alive with his feet. It's not all his fault, and we don't have either the scheme or the players to protect him while our WRs get open.

That being said, once he graduates the only QBs we have on the roster will ALL be mobile QBs with good to great arms - which is the type of QB that Mullen needs to run his system well. I fully expect a big jump in offensive production next season, and our defense should also be better due to all the young players getting more experience this year.

If we still have games next year where we struggle to move the ball against shitty defenses, I will certainly be in the 'question and complain' mode that a lot of folks are in now. Until then, I'll grit my teeth as we play like shit and hope that we improve enough this season to get to 6 wins.

Coach34
10-14-2013, 12:48 PM

How do you tell a coach to change his offense when it's in the top half of the SEC?

Dannyripms
10-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Tell him to look at the second half and try to figure out why they can't adjust. If it's just a execution issue on the players then he needs to get it corrected. I hate seeing half the season gone before he figures it out, it leaves a bunch of what if's after the season and makes you question his ability to be innovative enough to throw something different at the defense once they have to scrap plan A.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2013, 12:58 PM
How do you tell a coach to change his offense when it's in the top half of the SEC?

I guess you could talk to him about 0 points in the second half against Bowling Green. Or 3 points total against Ok. State. Or 0 points in the 2nd half against AU after the opening drive. I don't know, good job against Alcorn and Troy though.

I agree it's not so much the scheme, but more the implementation and the direction. That still falls squarely on Mullen though.

Dawg61
10-14-2013, 01:07 PM

Change is not the right word. It's Mullen's offense. He's just not using a great OC to compliment his offense. LK should be getting OC dollars? Hardly. It's MSU's money and they should use it towards an OC that will make Mullen's offense much better. Hire a guy that knows more about offense than Mullen. Someone that will challenge Mullen to get better. But there is the real problem. Mullen can't have a brilliant mind at that position or he'll feel like he's losing authority. Again it's that mirror thing.

Jack Lambert
10-14-2013, 01:24 PM

Yep he and Mullen are buddies. My only problem with the offense seems to me that they don't make adjustments to counter the adjustments the others team defense is going to make. In three of our games we had almost zero points in the second half. We did not score any in BG, OSU and not sure about LSU but it could not have been much. I know we missed some field goals and Saturday we could have hit a field goal but we ran one more play to run the clock down and maybe get a 1st.

fishwater99
10-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Yep he and Mullen are buddies. My only problem with the offense seems to me that they don't make adjustments to counter the adjustments the others team defense is going to make. In three of our games we had almost zero points in the second half. We did not score any in BG, OSU and not sure about LSU but it could not have been much. I know we missed some field goals and Saturday we could have hit a field goal but we ran one more play to run the clock down and maybe get a 1st.

Mullen is as bad of an in game coach as Stans was in basketball...

CadaverDawg
10-14-2013, 03:03 PM

I noticed Coach didn't say anything in response to this post, so I wanted to bump it. Very strong statement...and I can't say that I disagree at this point. He has better control of his program no doubt, but if you simply look at in game coaching, that's hard to argue.

Political Hack
10-14-2013, 03:08 PM
we can't convert a 3rd down or score in the 2nd half. missing FGs is also part of it. our offense is bad right now. The defense has had one bad game. Meanwhile the O hasn't scored more than 26 against a BCS team.

hacker
10-14-2013, 03:22 PM
The problem is that we're using a QB in Russell that isn't mobile enough to keep plays alive with his feet. It's not all his fault, and we don't have either the scheme or the players to protect him while our WRs get open.

That being said, once he graduates the only QBs we have on the roster will ALL be mobile QBs with good to great arms - which is the type of QB that Mullen needs to run his system well. I fully expect a big jump in offensive production next season, and our defense should also be better due to all the young players getting more experience this year.

If we still have games next year where we struggle to move the ball against shitty defenses, I will certainly be in the 'question and complain' mode that a lot of folks are in now. Until then, I'll grit my teeth as we play like shit and hope that we improve enough this season to get to 6 wins.

Spot on.

Dawg61
10-14-2013, 03:24 PM
I can agree with this. Mullen is atrocious at making in game adjustments and most specifically at exploiting the weaknesses in the defense. Example: DeRunnya Wilson burns LSU on the fly route for a 58 yard touchdown. Since then Mullen has only attempted that pass TWICE in two games. Mullen should of attempted that route 5 more times THAT GAME. it's like Mullen will only use the same play once during the game no matter the result.

hacker
10-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Change is not the right word. It's Mullen's offense. He's just not using a great OC to compliment his offense. LK should be getting OC dollars? Hardly. It's MSU's money and they should use it towards an OC that will make Mullen's offense much better. Hire a guy that knows more about offense than Mullen. Someone that will challenge Mullen to get better. But there is the real problem. Mullen can't have a brilliant mind at that position or he'll feel like he's losing authority. Again it's that mirror thing.

Again, I'm glad there's so many people on the board who know Mullen personally and know him well enough that they can speak on his mindset and outlook.

Dawg61
10-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Again, I'm glad there's so many people on the board who know Mullen personally and know him well enough that they can speak on his mindset and outlook.

What's your point? I'm talking about his shitty playcalling. What the 17 are you talking about?

Coach34
10-14-2013, 03:28 PM
I noticed Coach didn't say anything in response to this post, so I wanted to bump it. Very strong statement...and I can't say that I disagree at this point. He has better control of his program no doubt, but if you simply look at in game coaching, that's hard to argue.

Coach just saw it- that's why.

I vehemently disagree.

CadaverDawg
10-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Coach just saw it- that's why.

I vehemently disagree.

Not saying you ignored it, just figured you didn't see it, so I bumped it.

And I figured the Stains comparison would draw some outrage and be entertaining, but I guess not. Fail.

Coach34
10-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Fish knows where I stand on it...

The thing is- I expect Mullen to beat Kentucky, UPig, and OM. Until that doesnt happen, I'm not gonna complain.

I seen it dawg
10-14-2013, 04:20 PM

Oh shit somebody else mentioned the name I've been comparing Dan to the last few weeks....

hacker
10-14-2013, 04:21 PM
What's your point? I'm talking about his shitty playcalling. What the 17 are you talking about?

Mullen can't have a brilliant mind at that position or he'll feel like he's losing authority

My point is that you are just talking out of your ass when you say this. I was fine with the rest of your comment.

Coach 57
10-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Fish knows where I stand on it...

The thing is- I expect Mullen to beat Kentucky, UPig, and OM. Until that doesnt happen, I'm not gonna complain.

Exactly MY point!

MSUDawg4Life
10-14-2013, 04:53 PM
I think the offense is practically the same. The early numbers are skewed because of Alcorn and Troy.

You have strength and weakness tradeoffs between Dak and Tyler. Dak is strong running and not so much passing. The opposite for Tyler. It's basically a wash.

If you look at Manziel's stats, what makes him so dangerous is he's currently completing 73% of his passes. When Dak or any of our other upcoming QBs get to the point where they are completing 65 - 75% of their passes, that's when you'll see the offense take off.

Right now, as far as I'm concerned, there's no difference in the offense as long as Dak completes around 50% of his passes and Tyler has limited ability to run. It's all the same. Just run with QBs who have different strengths.

Dawg61
10-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Remember Hud as OC here?

Coach34
10-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Remember Hud as OC here?

No I dont...I remember Hud getting the passing game coordinator title because of Byrne and then not having alot of input on the offense because Mullen didnt trust him

CadaverDawg
10-14-2013, 05:36 PM
No I dont...I remember Hud getting the passing game coordinator title because of Byrne and then not having alot of input on the offense because Mullen didnt trust him

While I'm not agreeing or disagreeing since I do not know the truth....

I find it funny how a guy that was literally given "not a lot of input" to the offense while at State, was hired as the head coach at a D1 football program. The way you guys act, you would think Hudspeth just sat in a closet while at State and then got hired by ULL. Whether it had anything to do with our offense or not....I know that I liked a lot of what we were doing on O a lot better while Hudspeth was here than I have since he's been gone.

Again, he may or may not have had input, but our O sucked hard for the 2 years after he left. May have just been coincidence.

Also, I think it's funny that everybody wants to discredit anything Hud did while at State and act like they know what he did and didn't do.... but yet until a recent article we still didn't really know who was calling the plays on offense this year!

I am a fan of Hudspeth, but I am also smart enough to know that we would need to look at all options if we were to get rid of Mullen in the near future.....not just hire Hud without talking to anyone else. Assuming Hud even wants it or is available by then.

Coach34
10-14-2013, 05:43 PM
He had input on scouting and gameplanning- but all he did was signal plays in on Saturday

We run alot of the same shit now that we did in 2010 for the most part. The big change is that we have had to adjust for Russell being the QB.

2011? People seem to forget that we started two Freshman on the OL in 2011 in Day and Clausell- plus Ralph and Russell were hurt all damn year
2012? We had a QB that didnt run the ball. No way to run the exact same shit.

2013? We are averaging more yards per game now than we ever have. We are currently averaging 57 more yards per game than we did in 2010.

The Legend of Hud continues no matter what the facts are

Dawg61
10-14-2013, 05:47 PM
My point wasn't his title it's that Mullen bashed heads with him

Coach34
10-14-2013, 05:49 PM
I find it funny how a guy that was literally given "not a lot of input" to the offense while at State, was hired as the head coach at a D1 football program.

He had a good resume before he got to State

And think about it- what kind of reference do you think Mullen gave to ULL for a guy that you would prefer not be on your staff? If you want somebody gone- you do all you can to help them get another job

CadaverDawg
10-14-2013, 05:49 PM
He had input on scouting and gameplanning- but all he did was signal plays in on Saturday

We run alot of the same shit now that we did in 2010 for the most part. The big change is that we have had to adjust for Russell being the QB.

2011? People seem to forget that we started two Freshman on the OL in 2011 in Day and Clausell- plus Ralph and Russell were hurt all damn year
2012? We had a QB that didnt run the ball. No way to run the exact same shit.

2013? We are averaging more yards per game now than we ever have. We are currently averaging 57 more yards per game than we did in 2010.

The Legend of Hud continues no matter what the facts are

I agree that our offense has finally awakened this year. And I put most of that to us getting back to a dual threat QB. Like you and I have been saying for 2 years now.

As for the "legend of Hud"....I think some of you blow that out of proportion. The way I look at it, I like Hud, but I don't think he is the absolute choice for our next head coach. Hell, he could flame out the next few years and not be worth a damn, or he could win big and move up before our job opens. However, in my opinion, he seems a lot like Mullen but with higher upside due to recruiting. I think he will recruit better at MSU than Mullen can if given the chance. But again, I could be wrong.

Either way, I don't think the "legend of Hud" is really everything people try to make it out to be. Their are a couple of Hud-nuts running around, but most people just want the best coach for MSU, and from a distance Hudspeth reminds people of Cohen and seems like a good fit. Can't blame people for liking the guy.

CadaverDawg
10-14-2013, 05:51 PM
He had a good resume before he got to State

And think about it- what kind of reference do you think Mullen gave to ULL for a guy that you would prefer not be on your staff? If you want somebody gone- you do all you can to help them get another job

Meh. I agree with the first part, but the last part is pure speculation. Not arguing, just saying nobody but Dan and maybe Les really knows how much input and what was said to ULL. But I would lean toward you being right on that.

TopconDog
10-14-2013, 06:20 PM

Coach 34 these numbers say it all,0,0,3.7

Coach34
10-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Coach 34 these numbers say it all,0,0,3.7

That is a good point...but you have to look at each case individually

Ok Sate? we are miles ahead of where we were in that game
Auburn? we went conservative with a young QB
LSU? We missed a FG, lost momentum, and the route was on
BG? We wasted a series with Russell at QB, and then Dakota only had 2 possessions- a missed FG and then Mullen being hardheaded

The last 2 games have really been a defensive problem in the 2nd half. I mean damn, we only had 3 possessions in the 2nd half Saturday. OM had 7 in the 2nd half vs A&M Saturday. That makes a huge difference

engie
10-14-2013, 06:48 PM

Offense across college football is up 36.02 yards/game on average since 2010. In 2010, we were 42nd in total offense. Currently, we are 36th.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2013, 06:50 PM
That is a good point...but you have to look at each case individually

The last 2 games have really been a defensive problem in the 2nd half. I mean damn, we only had 3 possessions in the 2nd half Saturday. OM had 7 in the 2nd half vs A&M Saturday. That makes a huge difference

Some of that goes back to our awful tempo.

Political Hack
10-14-2013, 06:57 PM
And Les definitely got interest and may have gotten a job offer from LaMonroe even though he doesn't call the plays.

Our offense has been pathetic in the 2nd half. Period. it's terrible and no amount of yards puts points on the board except the last yard, and we can't seem to get that one. That and the fact we can't kick a 40+ yard FG and CDM's love affair with Devon Bell even though Sobieski is better are costing us points.

Boodawg
10-15-2013, 07:48 AM
And Les definitely got interest and may have gotten a job offer from LaMonroe even though he doesn't call the plays.

Our offense has been pathetic in the 2nd half. Period. it's terrible and no amount of yards puts points on the board except the last yard, and we can't seem to get that one. That and the fact we can't kick a 40+ yard FG and CDM's love affair with Devon Bell even though Sobieski is better are costing us points.

Points and confidence

Coach 57
10-15-2013, 08:20 AM
One thing we need to do now is speed up the tempo Vs teams like Bama, SC and UM. I notice that Dak actually plays better on a tempo'd drive.

War Machine Dawg
10-15-2013, 10:36 AM
One thing we need to do now is speed up the tempo Vs teams like Bama, SC and UM. I notice that Dak actually plays better on a tempo'd drive.

That was one thing I forgot to mention in my Armchair QB this week. I really liked the drive with Dak where we went up-tempo. Hopefully we can do more of that now that Dak has asserted himself as the guy at QB. Anything that drives Saban nuts and makes him complain is a good idea.

tcdog70
10-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Dan's #1 fail is, our best playmakers don't get the ball where they can do their thing. No touches of M Johnson, who should have a safety mismatch. No fades to Wilson who is 6'6'' and is covered by 6'(at best) corners. No screens to Perkins in space. No handoffs to Shump. The one positive is Tubby Lewis is finally getting touches.

maroonmania
10-15-2013, 12:55 PM

This times 10. I'm not really interested in throwing out yardage stats if they don't correlate to points scored. Fact is, scoring 20, 21 or even the 26 points we scored on LSU won't guarantee many wins these days the way folks in the SEC are scoring especially when your offense is producing next to nothing in terms of second half points. Really only Florida and Bama have a stout defense this year and Bama's isn't as good as it has been. When you are generating 430+ yards of offense and only scoring 21 points like Saturday then a lot of that yardage is going to waste. We are moving the ball between the 20s and then we either can't covert a FG or can't convert a 4th down try.

Barking 13
10-15-2013, 01:05 PM
This times 10. I'm not really interested in throwing out yardage stats if they don't correlate to points scored. Fact is, scoring 20, 21 or even the 26 points we scored on LSU won't guarantee many wins these days the way folks in the SEC are scoring especially when your offense is producing next to nothing in terms of second half points. Really only Florida and Bama have a stout defense this year and Bama's isn't as good as it has been. When you are generating 430+ yards of offense and only scoring 21 points like Saturday then a lot of that yardage is going to waste. We are moving the ball between the 20s and then we either can't covert a FG or can't convert a 4th down try.

reminds me of a game we played in Neyland where MSU had something like 27 first downs in the game and lost by 20