PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead's early-season offense at Penn St. in 2016

Prediction? Pain.
09-10-2018, 11:48 AM
I've heard and read several anecdotal comparisons between our early acclimation to Moorehead's offense and Penn St.'s in 2016. But I'd never really looked at the numbers before. So I figured I post them and get y'all's takes.

In their first four games in 2016, Penn. St. went 2-2. Double-digit home wins against Kent. St. and Temple, a close road loss to Pitt, and a blowout loss at Michigan. Kent St. ended the season 3-9, Pitt ended the season 8-5, and Michigan and Temple both ended up winning 10 games that year.

McSorley threw all the passes in those first four games and he and Barkley had the lion's share of the team's rushing attempts. Here's the damage:

Kent St.

Passing - 16/31 (51.6%), 209 yds (6.7 yds/att.), 2 TD, 0 INT
Rushing - 38 rushes, 145 yds (3.82 yds/rush), 1 TD
Total Offense - 69 plays, 354 yds, 5.13 yds/play, 33 points

Pitt (road)

Passing - 24/35 (68.6%), 332 yds (9.5 yds/att.), 1 TD, 1 INT
Rushing - 31 rushes, 74 yds (2.39 yds/rush), 4 TD
Total Offense - 66 plays, 406 yds, 6.15 yds/play, 39 points

Temple

Passing - 18/24 (75%), 287 yds (12 yds/att.), 1 TD, 1 INT
Rushing - 37 rushes, 116 yds (3.14 yds/rush), 3 TD
Total Offense - 61 plays, 403 yds, 6.61 yds/play, 34 points

Michigan (road)

Passing - 16/27 (59.3%), 121 yds (4.5 yds/att.), 1 TD, 1 INT
Rushing - 28 rushes, 70 yds (2.5 yds/rush), 0 TD
Total Offense - 55 plays, 191 yds, 3.47 yds/play, 10 points

Also of note, Penn. St. lost seven fumbles in those first four games.

After starting 2-2, Penn. St. won nine games in a row, won the Big Ten championship, and lost by 3 in the Rose Bowl against a top ten USC team.

Ok, so let's check our numbers in the first two games. But keep in mind that, unlike Penn. St.'s first four games, our rushing and passing stats in our first two represent different personnel in each game -- different passers in both games and different rushing combos (Thompson and Hill mostly in game 1, Fitz and Hill mostly in game 2).

SFA

Passing - 15/34 (44.1%), 398 yds (11.7 yds/att.), 5 TD, 0 INT
Rushing - 37 rushes, 220 yds (5.95 yds/rush), 4 TD
Total Offense - 71 plays, 618 yds, 8.7 yds/play, 63 points

Kansas St. (road)

Passing - 11/27 (40.7%), 154 yds (5.7 yds/att.), 2 TD, 1 INT
Rushing - 39 rushes, 384 yds (9.85 yds/rush), 2 TD
Total Offense - 66 plays, 538 yds, 8.15 yds/play, 31 points

And we haven't fumbled the ball yet.

While acknowledging that Kansas St. is not a 10- or maybe even an 8-win team and that SFA may not be quite as good as a 3-win Kent St., it's still an interesting comparison.

McSorley -- who, even though only a sophomore at the time, is one of the best QBs in college football right now and likely a better natural passer than either of Fitz or Key -- had a pretty uneven start in Moorhead's system. 3 interceptions, two games with stellar completion rates and two with ok-to-subpar rates. Solid yards per attempt in two, not-so-hot in the other two. And rushing the ball, he was downright bad. Including TFLs (and sacks, maybe?), he rushed 41 times in those four games for a grand total of 32 yards. Yes, that's less than 1 yard per carry. Yikes.

And Barkley was somewhat similar. He averaged 4.77, 4.25, 7.56, and 3.93 yards per rush in those four games and went over 100 yards only once (105 vs. Kent St.). And if you add in PSU's fifth game (a home win against a solid Minnesota team), it's even worse for him -- he rushed 20 times against Minn. for 63 yards (3.15 yards per carry). That may be more damning to PSU's o-line that year, but still.

Both of our QBs put up worse completion rates in each of their respective openers (though Key had unreal yards per attempt, no doubt in part due to the competition level). But based on McSorley's progression throughout the rest of the season in 2016 -- his yards per attempt dipped under 8 only twice in the next nine games (6.7 against Ohio St. and 6.4 against Rutgers (a game PSU won by 39 points)), he had 25 TDS to 5 INTS (and 3 of those picks came in the Rose Bowl), and passed for ~2,700 yards in those nine games -- we should be in okay shape. Even if Key and Fitz right now have lower floors and ceilings passing the ball than McSorley, their first games shouldn't portend certain doom for the rest of the season.

But even if there is less room to grow in the passing game, our rushing stats are so far beyond anything PSU was doing in its first four or five games under Moorhead that I'm not even sure what our potential is. If we can grow in that area at anywhere close to a similar rate that PSU did in its last eight or nine games -- McSorley upped his average yards-per-carry from 0.8 to 3.2 on his remaining rushes in 2016, and Barkley averaged at least 5.8 yards per rush in five of his last eight games that season after doing so only once in the first five games -- damnation, y'all.

My takeaway: Penn. St.'s passing and rushing attacks took four or five games to really gel under Moorhead's offense, even when they had phenoms McSorley and Barkley running the show. Taken as a whole, our offense looks to be quite far ahead of 2016 PSU at the same time in the season -- we've averaged more than 8 yards a play in both of our games. PSU didn't hit that mark in 2016 until its eighth game of the season.

I'm stoked to see how things shake out.

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Great post. If our offense makes a jump in the 4th or 5th game, we are going to be hell on wheels & a potential top 5 team

TrapGame
09-10-2018, 12:08 PM
Great post. If our offense makes a jump in the 4th or 5th game, we are going to be hell on wheels & a potential top 5 team

Completely agree. The run game is solid. We put a decent deep ball with it and look out.

gravedigger
09-10-2018, 12:15 PM
I think the UK and UF games will be good indications on whether we are improving or not.

Tbonewannabe
09-10-2018, 01:58 PM
One thing to consider is Penn St's offense wasn't as similar as our previous offense. It could be why we are ahead of the curve in implementing JoMo's offense. If Fitz starts hitting those long passes and is more accurate on short stuff then this offense will be hell on wheels.

Todd4State
09-10-2018, 02:29 PM
Great stuff. I want to see tangible improvement on offense this weekend even if we haven't mastered the offense. Mostly in the passing game.

Martianlander
09-10-2018, 03:01 PM
I've heard and read several anecdotal comparisons between our early acclimation to Moorehead's offense and Penn St.'s in 2016. But I'd never really looked at the numbers before. So I figured I post them and get y'all's takes.

In their first four games in 2016, Penn. St. went 2-2. Double-digit home wins against Kent. St. and Temple, a close road loss to Pitt, and a blowout loss at Michigan. Kent St. ended the season 3-9, Pitt ended the season 8-5, and Michigan and Temple both ended up winning 10 games that year.

McSorley threw all the passes in those first four games and he and Barkley had the lion's share of the team's rushing attempts. Here's the damage:

Kent St.

Passing - 16/31 (51.6%), 209 yds (6.7 yds/att.), 2 TD, 0 INT
Rushing - 38 rushes, 145 yds (3.82 yds/rush), 1 TD
Total Offense - 69 plays, 354 yds, 5.13 yds/play, 33 points

Pitt (road)

Passing - 24/35 (68.6%), 332 yds (9.5 yds/att.), 1 TD, 1 INT
Rushing - 31 rushes, 74 yds (2.39 yds/rush), 4 TD
Total Offense - 66 plays, 406 yds, 6.15 yds/play, 39 points

Temple

Passing - 18/24 (75%), 287 yds (12 yds/att.), 1 TD, 1 INT
Rushing - 37 rushes, 116 yds (3.14 yds/rush), 3 TD
Total Offense - 61 plays, 403 yds, 6.61 yds/play, 34 points

Michigan (road)

Passing - 16/27 (59.3%), 121 yds (4.5 yds/att.), 1 TD, 1 INT
Rushing - 28 rushes, 70 yds (2.5 yds/rush), 0 TD
Total Offense - 55 plays, 191 yds, 3.47 yds/play, 10 points

Also of note, Penn. St. lost seven fumbles in those first four games.

After starting 2-2, Penn. St. won nine games in a row, won the Big Ten championship, and lost by 3 in the Rose Bowl against a top ten USC team.

Ok, so let's check our numbers in the first two games. But keep in mind that, unlike Penn. St.'s first four games, our rushing and passing stats in our first two represent different personnel in each game -- different passers in both games and different rushing combos (Thompson and Hill mostly in game 1, Fitz and Hill mostly in game 2).

SFA

Passing - 15/34 (44.1%), 398 yds (11.7 yds/att.), 5 TD, 0 INT
Rushing - 37 rushes, 220 yds (5.95 yds/rush), 4 TD
Total Offense - 71 plays, 618 yds, 8.7 yds/play, 63 points

Kansas St. (road)

Passing - 11/27 (40.7%), 154 yds (5.7 yds/att.), 2 TD, 1 INT
Rushing - 39 rushes, 384 yds (9.85 yds/rush), 2 TD
Total Offense - 66 plays, 538 yds, 8.15 yds/play, 31 points

And we haven't fumbled the ball yet.

While acknowledging that Kansas St. is not a 10- or maybe even an 8-win team and that SFA may not be quite as good as a 3-win Kent St., it's still an interesting comparison.

McSorley -- who, even though only a sophomore at the time, is one of the best QBs in college football right now and likely a better natural passer than either of Fitz or Key -- had a pretty uneven start in Moorhead's system. 3 interceptions, two games with stellar completion rates and two with ok-to-subpar rates. Solid yards per attempt in two, not-so-hot in the other two. And rushing the ball, he was downright bad. Including TFLs (and sacks, maybe?), he rushed 41 times in those four games for a grand total of 32 yards. Yes, that's less than 1 yard per carry. Yikes.

And Barkley was somewhat similar. He averaged 4.77, 4.25, 7.56, and 3.93 yards per rush in those four games and went over 100 yards only once (105 vs. Kent St.). And if you add in PSU's fifth game (a home win against a solid Minnesota team), it's even worse for him -- he rushed 20 times against Minn. for 63 yards (3.15 yards per carry). That may be more damning to PSU's o-line that year, but still.

Both of our QBs put up worse completion rates in each of their respective openers (though Key had unreal yards per attempt, no doubt in part due to the competition level). But based on McSorley's progression throughout the rest of the season in 2016 -- his yards per attempt dipped under 8 only twice in the next nine games (6.7 against Ohio St. and 6.4 against Rutgers (a game PSU won by 39 points)), he had 25 TDS to 5 INTS (and 3 of those picks came in the Rose Bowl), and passed for ~2,700 yards in those nine games -- we should be in okay shape. Even if Key and Fitz right now have lower floors and ceilings passing the ball than McSorley, their first games shouldn't portend certain doom for the rest of the season.

But even if there is less room to grow in the passing game, our rushing stats are so far beyond anything PSU was doing in its first four or five games under Moorhead that I'm not even sure what our potential is. If we can grow in that area at anywhere close to a similar rate that PSU did in its last eight or nine games -- McSorley upped his average yards-per-carry from 0.8 to 3.2 on his remaining rushes in 2016, and Barkley averaged at least 5.8 yards per rush in five of his last eight games that season after doing so only once in the first five games -- damnation, y'all.

My takeaway: Penn. St.'s passing and rushing attacks took four or five games to really gel under Moorhead's offense, even when they had phenoms McSorley and Barkley running the show. Taken as a whole, our offense looks to be quite far ahead of 2016 PSU at the same time in the season -- we've averaged more than 8 yards a play in both of our games. PSU didn't hit that mark in 2016 until its eighth game of the season.

I'm stoked to see how things shake out.

Great analysis. Rep given.

Prediction? Pain.
09-10-2018, 03:31 PM
One thing to consider is Penn St's offense wasn't as similar as our previous offense. It could be why we are ahead of the curve in implementing JoMo's offense. If Fitz starts hitting those long passes and is more accurate on short stuff then this offense will be hell on wheels.

That's a very good point. Penn St.'s previous OC -- the same one that Franklin had with him at Vandy -- claimed to run a "multiple" front rooted in "pro style" philosophies. That was likely much further from Moorhead's RPO system than Mullen's was.

Another thing to note is that before 2016, McSorley had seen significant reps at quarterback in a single college game (he took most of the snaps during their bowl game the year before). A far cry from Fitz' experience.

All that said, the passing concepts -- coupled with a new group of starting WRs -- must be at least somewhat of a departure for our guys given Key's and Fitz' most recent completion percentages vs. those of our QBs in the two years since Dak left. In 2016 and 2017, we only had three games with completion rates below 45% -- 2016 @ Alabama (37%), 2017 @ Auburn (35%), and 2017 Egg Bowl (44%). (2017 @ UGA and 2016 Egg Bowl were both close, but still over 45%.) Due respect to K. St. and SFA, but neither are in the same ball parks as 2016 UA or 2017 AU. (And we all know the story of last year's Egg Bowl.) Hell, last year Fitz was 54% vs. Bama, 57% @ A&M, 65% vs. LSU, and 70% vs. KY. Yet we've started this season with two in a row under 45% -- one against an FCS team and the other against a team we were abusing on the ground. Notwithstanding taking more shots down the field, our QBs' arms can't have just become out-of-control pool noodles.

Another way to look at it is this -- even with our anemic passing attacks the past couple of years, we completed roughly 55% of our passes in 2016 and 2017. I don't think our QBs would be at 40% and 44% in their first games out of the gate unless Moorhead's passing concepts take some getting used to, even for a couple of dudes steeped in the spread.

I agree with y'all that the Kentucky and Florida games will be telling. As much as I love dominating people with the running game -- which I'm guessing Moorhead will make the focal point of our offense in conference play regardless of how well Fitz and Key progress through the air -- I'm all for using LA-Lafayette as a tune-up for the passing game.

Jarius
09-10-2018, 03:42 PM
The best thing about our passing game is that we have receivers open on deep balls. Fitz can fix the deep ball issues much easier than receivers can fix not getting separation. Last year they were not open at all, and a lot of that was Mullen’s scheme.

Randolph Dupree
09-10-2018, 03:48 PM
I don't know why this stuck with me, but it did. In a much older thread we had a visiting poster from Penn State or maybe even Fordham that had followed JoMo closely and he said that it would take around three games before everything began to click. Again, not sure why that stuck with me but I've been looking to see if that held true. So, since Fitz missed game 1, I'm watching for how we look in the UK game to judge our improvement...

Todd4State
09-10-2018, 03:54 PM
That's a very good point. Penn St.'s previous OC -- the same one that Franklin had with him at Vandy -- claimed to run a "multiple" front rooted in "pro style" philosophies. That was likely much further from Moorhead's RPO system than Mullen's was.

Another thing to note is that before 2016, McSorley had seen significant reps at quarterback in a single college game (he took most of the snaps during their bowl game the year before). A far cry from Fitz' experience.

All that said, the passing concepts -- coupled with a new group of starting WRs -- must be at least somewhat of a departure for our guys given Key's and Fitz' most recent completion percentages vs. those of our QBs in the two years since Dak left. In 2016 and 2017, we only had three games with completion rates below 45% -- 2016 @ Alabama (37%), 2017 @ Auburn (35%), and 2017 Egg Bowl (44%). (2017 @ UGA and 2016 Egg Bowl were both close, but still over 45%.) Due respect to K. St. and SFA, but neither are in the same ball parks as 2016 UA or 2017 AU. (And we all know the story of last year's Egg Bowl.) Hell, last year Fitz was 54% vs. Bama, 57% @ A&M, 65% vs. LSU, and 70% vs. KY. Yet we've started this season with two in a row under 45% -- one against an FCS team and the other against a team we were abusing on the ground. Notwithstanding taking more shots down the field, our QBs' arms can't have just become out-of-control pool noodles.

Another way to look at it is this -- even with our anemic passing attacks the past couple of years, we completed roughly 55% of our passes in 2016 and 2017. I don't think our QBs would be at 40% and 44% in their first games out of the gate unless Moorhead's passing concepts take some getting used to, even for a couple of dudes steeped in the spread.

I agree with y'all that the Kentucky and Florida games will be telling. As much as I love dominating people with the running game -- which I'm guessing Moorhead will make the focal point of our offense in conference play regardless of how well Fitz and Key progress through the air -- I'm all for using LA-Lafayette as a tune-up for the passing game.

I think our completion percentage issue is due more to circumstance. It's mainly due to two stretches of no incompletions. Key starting the third quarter was because of mechanical issues. Once he corrected that he was fine and he made what appeared to me to be good reads all game long. Fitz per Joe was amped up and probably throwing the ball too hard.

I would imagine that if Fitz had started against Stephen F Austin he likely ends up well over 50% and had that also happened he wouldn't have had the jitters or whatever you want to call it early and probably again finishes over 50% this week.

Todd4State
09-10-2018, 03:55 PM
I don't know why this stuck with me, but it did. In a much older thread we had a visiting poster from Penn State or maybe even Fordham that had followed JoMo closely and he said that it would take around three games before everything began to click. Again, not sure why that stuck with me but I've been looking to see if that held true. So, since Fitz missed game 1, I'm watching for how we look in the UK game to judge our improvement...

I thought he said 4-5? I think the good news is at least the running game portion is clicking. Either way it's just a matter of time.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Great work pulling the numbers. I think we have a better offensive line to work with than Penn State.

I do think JoMo's play calling has been a little questionable if looked at on the surface. But I think that is on purpose. If he was strictly trying to beat KState, he would have pounded the ball a llot more. But he knows that the passing game needs work, and he is trying to balance winning with the need to improve. So he is not just calling the plays that work best in the moment. He is also calling the plays that we need to work on. He knows he must develop the passing game and I fully expect him to work on it more against ULL. When we get into a game where it is close (like maybe Auburn), I expect him to ride with the plays that win. JoMo knows that these first 4 games are critical in our development.

We need to pass in the first 4 games for this reason:
1. Develop Fitz.
2. Show wideout recruits we will throw the ball.
3. Develop and streamline our wideout rotation.
4. Show film that we will throw the ball.
5. Keep Gibson, Aeris, and Kylin healthy for the stretch.

The passing game needs the work, and that is where JoMo is focusing. If we can get the passing game clicking with our running game and defense, we are going to be something to fear.

1bigdawg
09-10-2018, 06:29 PM
The best thing about our passing game is that we have receivers open on deep balls. Fitz can fix the deep ball issues much easier than receivers can fix not getting separation. Last year they were not open at all, and a lot of that was Mullen?s scheme.

AND Gonzales' coaching (or lack thereof).

Todd4State
09-10-2018, 07:25 PM
[/B]AND Gonzales' coaching (or lack thereof).

This is a good point. He was freaking terrible.

BrunswickDawg
09-10-2018, 08:41 PM
Saw this on Twitter and thought it was an interesting arguement to think about:

https://twitter.com/barne2017/status/1039194138976165888?s=21