PDA

View Full Version : A few week 2 thoughts

BeastMan
09-10-2018, 11:16 AM
-Linebackers

To be a truly elite defense you have to have an elite player at all 3 levels. We?re talking NFL draft guy, not a fringe guy. Our DL might have 4 and safety for sure has 1, maybe 2. LB was the question. Leo should be but wasn?t last year. Erroll maybe could develop into one. Gay is one but not right now. Saturday saw Leo play much more to his talent and if Erroll keeps making athletic plays like that INT, I can be sold on him. This LB corps has big-time talent and started looking that way Saturday.

-Nick Fitz returns
Good news is he?s back 100% and didn?t favor that ankle and had a few bursts that shows the speed is still there. Nobody in the country runs the read option better than him. Passing was erratic. No way around it. It is what it is. I?m officially changing my expectations of Nick and appreciating him for what he is: the best running QB in SEC history. He about 400 yards behind Tebow. The guy will be the most prolific runner the SEC has ever seen at QB. Let that sink in. This is what we need from you Nick: You?re best psssing games vs Bama, Auburn, and OM. Connect on some deep balls.

-TE usage
Don?t know if y?all noticed because it?s spread out over 3 guys but TE has caught 7 balls and a score. That?s way up from Mullen and I expect more. We?re gonna get 40 catches out of that position this year. Everybody looked good but Dontae Jones has really looked good to me catching the ball.

-OL blocking
They?ve been mauling folks in the run game but have given up some pressure on the QB. Weird to have that improvement when they have not yet given up a sack but a lot of credit goes to Nick & KT being big mobile guys. Also seeing some back-ups play well.

-CB coverage
Week 1 I saw guys covering well but not playing the ball. I saw more playing the ball Saturday. Gave me a lot more confidence going forward.

-Charlie Daniels & Alabama concert
Interesting show Saturday night. A loud horn preacher and church shouted the gospel at concert goers as they entered the venue. The piece I caught as we walked by was that I guess the concert was mocking god. Then Charlie Daniels played a hym, Alabama promoted their gospel album and did a gospel song. I think the preacher and flock would have actually enjoyed it more than they thought. Charlie Daniels is old as dirt but still is a great showman with energy. I?d go see him again. Alabama is the greatest country band all time and this was on my country bucket list. They played the hits and it was a good time but they totally went through the motions. I wouldn?t go see them again.

louisvilledawg
09-10-2018, 12:52 PM
You aren't sold yet on a freshman all-sec linebacker in Errol Thompson?

He was 5th in sec for tackles by a freshman last year.

BeastMan
09-10-2018, 12:58 PM
You aren't sold yet on a freshman all-sec linebacker in Errol Thompson?

He was 5th in sec for tackles by a freshman last year.

You’re 100% sure right now that he’s an NFL draft guy? I specifically used that as my measuring metric for “elite”. There is a difference in being a guy I trust out there and really like but not an elite player (like Richie Brown).

msstate7
09-10-2018, 01:24 PM
You?re 100% sure right now that he?s an NFL draft guy? I specifically used that as my measuring metric for ?elite?. There is a difference in being a guy I trust out there and really like but not an elite player (like Richie Brown).

Oh you mean the next Sean lee? Lol... funny we don't hear much about this prediction

BeastMan
09-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Oh you mean the next Sean lee? Lol... funny we don't hear much about this prediction

And I wasn’t banging on Richie. On of my favorites. As far as who we have now I think Willie Gay has elite written all over him he just needs a little more experience. He and Leo on the field at the same time is a lot of LB speed.