PDA

View Full Version : To BrunswickDawg ....

RocketDawg
09-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Are you making preps for Hurricane Florence? This is going to be a nasty one and you're right in the target zone. Best wishes for the entire southeastern and mid-Atlantic coast.

BrunswickDawg
09-09-2018, 12:46 PM
Thanks Rocket. Definitely keeping a close eye on it, but looks like we will be south of the cone of concern for now. I assume when I get to work tomorrow we will be assigning shifts at the EMA command center for the next couple of weeks as the current wave of storms looks constant. Not looking forward to a repeat of Matthew or Irma.

Side note: my daughter decided to change her major to Met, so now I'm getting constant updates from her too.

RocketDawg
09-09-2018, 01:03 PM
Thanks Rocket. Definitely keeping a close eye on it, but looks like we will be south of the cone of concern for now. I assume when I get to work tomorrow we will be assigning shifts at the EMA command center for the next couple of weeks as the current wave of storms looks constant. Not looking forward to a repeat of Matthew or Irma.

Side note: my daughter decided to change her major to Met, so now I'm getting constant updates from her too.

Ah, that's a good major. Is she going the technical route or broadcast? When the time comes, UAH has a pretty darn good graduate atmospheric physics department that works closely with the local NWS forecast office. Lots of good research going on there.

BrunswickDawg
09-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Ah, that's a good major. Is she going the technical route or broadcast? When the time comes, UAH has a pretty darn good graduate atmospheric physics department that works closely with the local NWS forecast office. Lots of good research going on there.

She's going technical, so we will keep that in mind.

RocketDawg
09-09-2018, 01:25 PM
She's going technical, so we will keep that in mind.

Just read an article yesterday that UAH now has almost 10,000 students. It's increased 32% in the last 4 years. It was started by von Braun and the other Germans as a grad school only. It's a bit like a smaller version of USF and UCF in that it's mostly a commuter college, but that's changing to a degree. This is also a great town to live in.

Leroy Jenkins
09-09-2018, 02:13 PM
There were 200 spaghetti models last week that predicted Florence to go N and back into the Atlantic. Thre was only ONE model that had it coming by the NC OBX and right into my living room.

Fast-forward 5 days and guess which one appears to be right.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT06/refresh/AL062018_wind_probs_64_F120+png/145549.png

To add insult, since 1850 no storm in Florence's location has ever hit the Eastern US. looks like the streak is over.

https://www.popsci.com/sites/popsci.com/files/styles/655_1x_/public/images/2018/09/historic_tracks.png?itok=Mr_-QVZq&fc=50,50

RocketDawg
09-09-2018, 02:30 PM
There were 200 spaghetti models last week that predicted Florence to go N and back into the Atlantic. Thre was only ONE model that had it coming by the NC OBX and right into my living room.

Fast-forward 5 days and guess which one appears to be right.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT06/refresh/AL062018_wind_probs_64_F120+png/145549.png

To add insult, since 1850 no storm in Florence's location has ever hit the Eastern US. looks like the streak is over.

https://www.popsci.com/sites/popsci.com/files/styles/655_1x_/public/images/2018/09/historic_tracks.png?itok=Mr_-QVZq&fc=50,50

Those are some pretty good statistics that say it'll turn out over the north Atlantic. It's possible the current model runs are wrong ... still 5 or so days out.

Dawgowar
09-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Wilmington is a damn magnet for Tropical systems.

BrunswickDawg
09-09-2018, 02:44 PM
The last hurricane to make landfall here prior to Matthew was Dora in '64 - then we get hit with 2 in 11 months. I rode out Matthew and Irma but I don't know if I can handle a third right now. Hopefully I don't have to.