PDA

View Full Version : Post Saturday SEC Thoughts

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 10:30 PM
Well, week 2 has come to a close & we know a little more about this conference.

- UGA can go ahead & book their rooms for the SEC Title game. For all the off season narrative of the SEC East gaining ground on the West, it's lost ground & is trash. The 2nd best team in the East would be battling it out with Arkansas & Ole Miss or 6th & 7th in the West. Pathetic & boarderline unfair at this point.

- We need an 8 team playoff. An SEC West team will be left out that is as good as 2 teams in the playoff. Oklahoma & Clemson have byes

- The SEC West is the best CONFERENCE in America. I think you could make an argument that, while their records won't qualify them, that there are 5 teams in the SEC that are of playoff quality. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that whoever the 4 teams are that make the playoff, Bama, Auburn, MSU, LSU, & A&M could beat any of those 4 teams, with the exception of Bama.

Here are my SEC West rankings & the biggest question facing each team going forward with spacing to identify how good they are.

1. Bama - Do they get bored & end up in a close game at some point, but aren't sure what their identity is?

2. Auburn - Can they run the ball against good SEC West teams?
3. MSU - Can they complete a forward pass over 10 yards?

4. Texas A&M - Can they keep it together throughout the season? We've seen them play well at times over the past 5 years, but they fall apart late & after tough losses.
5. LSU - Can they run or throw vs good SEC West teams?

6. Ole Miss - LOL, scary. They are the Joey Gallo of the SEC West. If you don't understand this reference:https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gallojo01.shtml

7. Arkansas - LOL

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 10:34 PM
I totally got the Joey Gallo reference.

I pretty much agree- although I still think Arkansas beats Ole Miss in Fayetteville for no other reason than it's in Fayetteville.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 10:37 PM

I pretty much agree- although I still think Arkansas beats Ole Miss in Fayetteville for no other reason than it's in Fayetteville.

Boy I don't know. They are both so flawed, that I'm not sure who will win. It'll be ugly that's for sure

shoeless joe
09-08-2018, 10:37 PM
We're gonna have a hard time winning 9 regular season games. We're not crisp and everybody's got talent. We'll see how it goes.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 10:38 PM
We're gonna have a hard time winning 9 regular season games. We're not crisp and everybody's got talent. We'll see how it goes.

Agree if we stay at our current level of crispness, but I suspect we'll improve. We've got the pieces to

KOdawg1
09-08-2018, 10:42 PM
Agree if we stay at our current level of crispness, but I suspect we'll improve. We've got the pieces to

LOL you know there's reason for optimism if Shotgun is being optimistic.

ShotgunDawg
LOL you know there's reason for optimism if Shotgun is being optimistic.

It's easy to see that our QB was making his comeback & we are running a new offense.

It would've been more surprising if it didn't take a little time

shoeless joe

Agreed

BrunswickDawg
09-08-2018, 10:44 PM
Well, considering we had 5 passes that went for more than 10 yards today - I'd say the answer is "yes"

KOdawg1
09-08-2018, 10:45 PM
It's easy to see that our QB was making his comeback & we are running a new offense.

It would've been more surprising if it didn't take a little time
Yep. I agree.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 10:46 PM
Is there a point where the SEC mixes up the divisions a little?

At what point do they stop hoping that the SEC East gets better?

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 10:47 PM
Well, considering we had 5 passes that went for more than 10 yards today - I'd say the answer is "yes"

I meant thrown in the air over 10 yards. It was in jest.... kind of.....

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 10:47 PM

I really think we will improve too. ULL will be a good litmus test to see if we can correct the things we need to. And really it's not that many things. We have an outstanding defense and the one issue- the secondary looked better today. We run the ball well if nothing else. It's really mainly the passing game and I think that will come with time. If we can simply improve the pass blocking this week that alone will help our passing game a good bit. I'm keeping my eye on special teams. We had some issues today but I think was more about K-State just being really good at special teams than anything.

KOdawg1
09-08-2018, 10:48 PM

At what point do they stop hoping that the SEC gets better?
Lol I wouldn't be opposed to us moving to the east. Or Bama moving to another division. Either one

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 10:48 PM

The only way I ever see that happening is if they ever decide to expand to 16 and go to four divisions. I guess they could also just do away with divisions as well and make it one league.

msstate7
09-08-2018, 10:49 PM
I actually think we will win 9-11 games. I really like this team. I don't like our outlook the next few years though

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-08-2018, 10:52 PM

Swap Auburn and Mizzou. There, done. "But the iron Bowl!" keep it at the permanent crossover. "But Bama-UT!!" literally nobody gives a shit about that lopsided excuse of a forced rivalry. It's clear Bama is a 100000 miles ahead as a program, there's 0 reason to think UT will ever catch them again. I live in UT country, they hate UGA, UF, and USC far more than Bama. Losing that game isn't a big deal at all

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 10:54 PM
Swap Auburn and Mizzou. There, done. "But the iron Bowl!" keep it at the permanent crossover. "But Bama-UT!!" literally nobody gives a shit about that lopsided excuse of a forced rivalry. It's clear Bama is a 100000 miles ahead as a program, there's 0 reason to think UT will ever catch them again. I live in UT country, they hate UGA, UF, and USC far more than Bama. Losing that game isn't a big deal at all

The Alabama/Tennessee and Auburn/Georgia rivalries really do mess up the divisions.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 10:57 PM
The Alabama/Tennessee and Auburn/Georgia rivalries really do mess up the divisions.

It's too the point though where the SEC East is so bad that it's screwing up schedules for everyone else.

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 10:57 PM
I actually think we will win 9-11 games. I really like this team. I don't like our outlook the next few years though

I think we'll be fine. The defense won't be as good but we won't have the offensive growing pains that we're going through right now.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 10:58 PM
I think we'll be fine. The defense won't be as good but we won't have the offensive growing pains that we're going through right now.

I think we'll be fine as well.

I also think it's important to recognize that we likely won't ever reload every year, but we'll have enough talent to compete again fairly quickly. I want to see how this class finishes.

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 10:58 PM
It's too the point though where the SEC East is so bad that it's screwing up schedules for everyone else.

It has been that way for years. The problem is the SEC has people like LT doing the football schedule and he has zero creativity to make it work where it is best for the league. Mizzou has still never been to Starkville for football- stuff like that is ridiculous.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-08-2018, 11:00 PM

- UGA can go ahead & book their rooms for the SEC Title game. For all the off season narrative of the SEC East gaining ground on the West, it's lost ground & is trash. The 2nd best team in the East would be battling it out with Arkansas & Ole Miss or 6th & 7th in the West. Pathetic & boarderline unfair at this point.

- We need an 8 team playoff. An SEC West team will be left out that is as good as 2 teams in the playoff. Oklahoma & Clemson have byes

- The SEC West is the best CONFERENCE in America. I think you could make an argument that, while their records won't qualify them, that there are 5 teams in the SEC that are of playoff quality. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that whoever the 4 teams are that make the playoff, Bama, Auburn, MSU, LSU, & A&M could beat any of those 4 teams, with the exception of Bama.

Here are my SEC West rankings & the biggest question facing each team going forward with spacing to identify how good they are.

1. Bama - Do they get bored & end up in a close game at some point, but aren't sure what their identity is?

4. Texas A&M - Can they keep it together throughout the season? We've seen them play well at times over the past 5 years, but they fall apart late & after tough losses.

6. Ole Miss - LOL, scary. They are the Joey Gallo of the SEC West. If you don't understand this reference:https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gallojo01.shtml

7. Arkansas - LOL

I think classifying LSU and A&M as "playoff caliber teams" is one heck of a stretch. LSU only scored 24 offensive points and 300 yards vs a pretty bad looking Miami D, and then they only scored 31 today vs an FCS school. The Starting O played the whole game, QB was 50% and the OL looked like trash. They aren't good. Maybe #20-25 if we're begin nice. Auburn will smoke them. For A&M, I think they're about #15 but Clemson is definitely not #2. Their pass D is terrible, and the QB is a complete waste of space since he can't throw or run or make particularly great decisions. They imo are worse than last year, and we saw what Bama did to them. Clemson is #5-10 and took A&M lightly, thus #15 was able to play them evenly. But A&M isn't top 10 "playoff caliber" imo

Commercecomet24
09-08-2018, 11:00 PM

I agree. I think we'll be a 7-9 win team pretty much every year with a chance to have a special year every 3 or 4 years. Of course JoMo has a chance to make that even better. I really believe he's the coach to take us to the next level.

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 11:01 PM
I think we'll be fine as well.

I also think it's important to recognize that we likely won't ever reload every year, but we'll have enough talent to compete again fairly quickly. I want to see how this class finishes.

I think ultimately the recruiting will be fine. The scary thing is we may have to count on more freshmen that we have currently committed to play and contribute a lot right away.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 11:04 PM
I think classifying LSU and A&M as "playoff caliber teams" is one heck of a stretch. LSU only scored 24 offensive points and 300 yards vs a pretty bad looking Miami D, and then they only scored 31 today vs an FCS school. The Starting O played the whole game, QB was 50% and the OL looked like trash. They aren't good. Maybe #20-25 if we're begin nice. Auburn will smoke them. For A&M, I think they're about #15 but Clemson is definitely not #2. Their pass D is terrible, and the QB is a complete waste of space since he can't throw or run or make particularly great decisions. They imo are worse than last year, and we saw what Bama did to them. Clemson is #5-10 and took A&M lightly, thus #15 was able to play them evenly. But A&M isn't top 10 "playoff caliber" imo

I can dig this

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 11:05 PM
I agree. I think we'll be a 7-9 win team pretty much every year with a chance to have a special year every 3 or 4 years. Of course JoMo has a chance to make that even better. I really believe he's the coach to take us to the next level.

Yes. Moorhead has a much different mindset than Dan in that he is more analytical and he is different than other coaches with his offense. I don't think anyone other than maybe Penn State and Fordham are running what we are right now- and I think his offense is the going to be the next big thing in football. Usually we're behind in that regard and then by the time we adapt it's no longer new and people have seen it and know how to defend it. He also doesn't try to be cute by running special teams. And today he showed me that if we're not throwing the ball, he will run it if that's what it takes to win the game. Dan on the other hand- Brandon Holloway up the middle.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-08-2018, 11:06 PM

Auburn/UGA doesn't mess anything up, because of you stuck AU in the East they'd still play it every year. Bama/UT is the only thing that needs the axe. But I'm sure every Auburn fan would love to be in the East. East vs West team matchup:

Vandy/Arkansas, Kentucky/OM, SC/MSU, UT/A&M, UF/LSU, Mizzou/Rotational East game. Bama/Bama, UGA/UGA. Literally 5/8 conference games would be easier for them, and the other 3 are the same. My guess is Bama likes things the way they are, so the SEC keeps them that way

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 11:06 PM
I think ultimately the recruiting will be fine. The scary thing is we may have to count on more freshmen that we have currently committed to play and contribute a lot right away.

Agree. We won't have teams like we do this year every year like the blue bloods have but we'll be good & compete like this year every 3-4 years.

Commercecomet24
09-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Yes. Moorhead has a much different mindset than Dan in that he is more analytical and he is different than other coaches with his offense. I don't think anyone other than maybe Penn State and Fordham are running what we are right now- and I think his offense is the going to be the next big thing in football. Usually we're behind in that regard and then by the time we adapt it's no longer new and people have seen it and know how to defend it. He also doesn't try to be cute by running special teams. And today he showed me that if we're not throwing the ball, he will run it if that's what it takes to win the game. Dan on the other hand- Brandon Holloway up the middle.

Agree completely!

Goldendawg
09-08-2018, 11:09 PM

Is it still a "rivalry" when Tn hasn't won in what, a decade or more?

WPS
09-08-2018, 11:28 PM

Actually in Little Rock, but I don?t see Arkansas winning an SEC game. Hell North Texas may pull the upset next week. I see Arkansas running at will on OM but having to settle for FGs while Ole Miss passes all over the field. Colorado State passed for nearly 400 yards.

TUSK
09-08-2018, 11:51 PM
As the highest ranking Bammer on the board (no offense, Token), I make a motion that Bammer drops Tennessee as permanent SECE opponent, and replaces them with either Kentucky or Vanderbilt.

All in favor?

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2018, 12:03 AM
As the highest ranking Bammer on the board (no offense, Token), I make a motion that Bammer drops Tennessee as permanent SECE opponent, and replaces them with either Kentucky or Vanderbilt.

All in favor?

If it meant fixing the divisions, I'd be in favor

TUSK
09-09-2018, 12:15 AM
If it meant fixing the divisions, I'd be in favor

Define “fixing the divisions”.

You have my curiosity....

mstatefan91
09-09-2018, 12:16 AM
Define “fixing the divisions”.

You have my curiosity....

Auburn to the East and Missouri to the West would be a start.. Shrug

Liverpooldawg
09-09-2018, 12:25 AM

7. Arkansas - LOL

But the Swine, or somebody in their name, defaced Bully in the Junction. That means the are better than us RIGHT? LOL *************

TUSK
09-09-2018, 12:27 AM
Auburn to the East and Missouri to the West would be a start.. Shrug

Painfully obvious, and I concur.

That’d certainly make the SECE a bit more interesting.

AU, UGA, Florida & UT in the same division.... I’ll allow it.

mstatefan91
09-09-2018, 12:42 AM
Painfully obvious, and I concur.

That’d certainly make the SECE a bit more interesting.

AU, UGA, Florida & UT in the same division.... I’ll allow it.

AU and UGA could battle it out for top spot most years... Florida/UT on off years.. maybe

TUSK
09-09-2018, 12:55 AM
AU and UGA could battle it out for top spot most years... Florida/UT on off years.. maybe

agreed... it'd make the West less brutal, as well.

I would kinda dig this slate for my guys:

@ Ole Miss
Texas A&M
@ Arkie
Mizzou
@ UK
@ LSU
MSU
Vanderbilt

mstatefan91
09-09-2018, 12:58 AM

@ Ole Miss
Texas A&M
@ Arkie
Mizzou
@ UK
@ LSU
MSU
Vanderbilt

Nah.. perma UT east game would get traded for perma AU east game... let's be real here.. Iron Bowl would still exist.. non-existent Bama/UT rivalry could finally die the death it has needed for over a decade.

TUSK
09-09-2018, 01:12 AM
Nah.. perma UT east game would get traded for perma AU east game... let's be real here.. Iron Bowl would still exist.. non-existent Bama/UT rivalry could finally die the death it has needed for over a decade.

that's cool... I'm down with whackin' AU twice/year.

mstatefan91
09-09-2018, 01:15 AM
that's cool... I'm down with whackin' AU twice/year.

I'm not sure there's a more boring matchup for Bama in the SEC than the Bama/UT game.. I mean they beat teams with regularity but beat UT down like a red-headed step child that took the last piece of bacon for Sunday breakfast...

Least the other teams put up a fight every once in a while.

Liverpooldawg
09-09-2018, 01:36 AM
I remember when the Third Saturday in October meant something. The SEC was better for it. That being said, UT has lost their recruiting base in Georgia and Florida. I don't think they get it back. UT's local recruiting base is East Tennessee.

TUSK
09-09-2018, 01:39 AM
I'm not sure there's a more boring matchup for Bama in the SEC than the Bama/UT game.. I mean they beat teams with regularity but beat UT down like a red-headed step child that took the last piece of bacon for Sunday breakfast...

true dat ... Bammer beats up on Arkie a bit worse, and MSU a little bit less than UT...

The TSIO has always been a streaky series, but this streak is redonkulous....

MarketingBully
09-09-2018, 06:42 AM

This is a dumb take. Of course we are going to improve throughout the year. All of the errors that happened today are correctable and I expect will be mostly cleaned up before our next road game at Kentucky.

msstatelp1
09-09-2018, 08:05 AM

At what point do they stop hoping that the SEC East gets better?

People were asking this same question back in the 90's except it was the East that was dominating and the West that needed to get better.

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2018, 08:09 AM
People were asking this same question back in the 90's except it was the East that was dominating and the West that needed to get better.

That was when the West was on probation though. Not comparable.

We've been stuck in this rut for too long, and some East programs just don't have the resources to compete

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2018, 08:11 AM

@ Ole Miss
Texas A&M
@ Arkie
Mizzou
@ UK
@ LSU
MSU
Vanderbilt

I bet you would.

Thing is though, we'd love our schedule as well. The only teams this hurts are the below average East programs, like South Carolina, that keep making it to good bowls off a propped up record.