PDA

View Full Version : Knee Jerk Reaction Thoughts to KSU game

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 03:31 PM
QB- Fitz ran the ball well and effectively. I think he will get even better. But he has to stop trying to do too much. If he had played last week, he probably look much better this week. He needs to get it together hopefully by this weekend. If not, maybe we should start thinking about playing Key if he is better for the team. But Nick gets another two weeks at least before I hit the panic button.

RB- Kylin Hill- outgaining the other team? That's Babe Ruth stuff right there. He carried the load for us and was the reason why we were able to dominate on offense. The other backs looked pretty good too. Good to see a few two back formations at times as well.

WR- You can see the potential that Guidry and Austin Williams have. We're improved here- now we just need a QB that can get them the ball. Once that happens we're going to put up HUGE numbers.

TE- Dontae Jones needs to start. Eventually I think he will. We probably should have ran more RPO's and thrown to the TE's more than we did. Justin Johnson had a nice gain on a RPO as well.

OL- Run blocking was outstanding. Pass blocking was below average. Too many busts and that is not helping Nick at all. For us to pass better- this has to improve as well.

DL- Early returns are we are 1999 good at this unit. They've been every bit as good as expected. 113 yards rushing against a run first team P5 team at a tough place to play is outstanding.

LB- Leo looks much better at Erroll had a great INT. Leo was robbed of a fumble by that idiot official- who also just happened to be the same POS that did the Egg Bowl. So, Speaks can wave at our sideline without a penalty but Simmons shakes his finger and gets flagged? Cohen needs to tell the SEC to never send them to one of our games again.

CB- Dantzler and Peters played better- but both got banged up. Hopefully they are fine.

S- Abrams and McLaurin played well. Abrams got his first targeting call this year- not surprising.

ST- We didn't do a good job of covering kickoffs and we missed a field goal after we made a stupid pre-snap penalty. We were not nearly as clean this week as last week. Some of that is probably because K-State is really good on ST- and that's one way that they have leveled the playing field for them against Big 12 teams with more talent.

The bottom line is we do a lot of things very well but have to clean up a few things as well. I expect that to happen. Anytime you can go on the road and dominate a program like K-State- Auburn struggled there a few years ago- it's a positive. We survived our trap game. For us to reach our ceiling- Nick has to get better. I think we will. ULL will tell us a lot I think and I want to see us start to put it together. I want to see the o-line improve the pass blocking, our CB's come back healthy, and a better ST performance. Hopefully we will start to add some more of the wrinkles that make this offense special- like even more RPO's than what it looks like we have been running so far to my naked eye.

Homedawg
09-08-2018, 03:35 PM
While Fitz wasn't good, I'm not sure how you have us in a qb controversy. Kt was worse throwing last week against a way worse team. Dontae Jones is going to be good. But not sure how you have him starting based on a few plays...3 delay of game penalties is absurd that's a certainty. Our ol pass blocking is a mix- some busted communication, some the other team sending more than we can block and a lot of kylin and nick being bad at pass pro. Real bad.

TXDawg
09-08-2018, 03:37 PM
Keys for me:

1) Fitz should be the starter, but regardless of who’s in at QB, we have to get better at throwing the ball.

2) Hill is an absolute stud. Great vision, good strength, and rarely goes down on first contact.

3) D gets great pressure when their O is behind the chains, but gave up WAY too many big running plays.

4) Need to clean up the penalties.

Can’t say I’ve ever felt this disappointed after a 20+ point win over a P5 team, but we have a lot to get fixed if we expect to compete in the SECW.

Lance Harbor
09-08-2018, 03:43 PM
QB) This is Fitz's 5th year and he still can't throw the deep ball. I don't see it getting any better. That weakness hurts Joe Mo's offense a lot. Good teams will stack the box.

WR) Yep, still need more.

LB/SEC Refs) That crew needs to be fired.

QB- Fitz ran the ball well and effectively. I think he will get even better. But he has to stop trying to do too much. If he had played last week, he probably look much better this week. He needs to get it together hopefully by this weekend. If not, maybe we should start thinking about playing Key if he is better for the team. But Nick gets another two weeks at least before I hit the panic button.

RB- Kylin Hill- outgaining the other team? That's Babe Ruth stuff right there. He carried the load for us and was the reason why we were able to dominate on offense. The other backs looked pretty good too. Good to see a few two back formations at times as well.

WR- You can see the potential that Guidry and Austin Williams have. We're improved here- now we just need a QB that can get them the ball. Once that happens we're going to put up HUGE numbers.

TE- Dontae Jones needs to start. Eventually I think he will. We probably should have ran more RPO's and thrown to the TE's more than we did. Justin Johnson had a nice gain on a RPO as well.

OL- Run blocking was outstanding. Pass blocking was below average. Too many busts and that is not helping Nick at all. For us to pass better- this has to improve as well.

DL- Early returns are we are 1999 good at this unit. They've been every bit as good as expected. 113 yards rushing against a run first team P5 team at a tough place to play is outstanding.

LB- Leo looks much better at Erroll had a great INT. Leo was robbed of a fumble by that idiot official- who also just happened to be the same POS that did the Egg Bowl. So, Speaks can wave at our sideline without a penalty but Simmons shakes his finger and gets flagged? Cohen needs to tell the SEC to never send them to one of our games again.

CB- Dantzler and Peters played better- but both got banged up. Hopefully they are fine.

S- Abrams and McLaurin played well. Abrams got his first targeting call this year- not surprising.

ST- We didn't do a good job of covering kickoffs and we missed a field goal after we made a stupid pre-snap penalty. We were not nearly as clean this week as last week. Some of that is probably because K-State is really good on ST- and that's one way that they have leveled the playing field for them against Big 12 teams with more talent.

The bottom line is we do a lot of things very well but have to clean up a few things as well. I expect that to happen. Anytime you can go on the road and dominate a program like K-State- Auburn struggled there a few years ago- it's a positive. We survived our trap game. For us to reach our ceiling- Nick has to get better. I think we will. ULL will tell us a lot I think and I want to see us start to put it together. I want to see the o-line improve the pass blocking, our CB's come back healthy, and a better ST performance. Hopefully we will start to add some more of the wrinkles that make this offense special- like even more RPO's than what it looks like we have been running so far to my naked eye.

Activated Alpha
09-08-2018, 03:46 PM
The penalty wasn't on Simmons. It was on Lewis for hands to the face on the QB after he threw the screen pass.

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 03:48 PM
While Fitz wasn't good, I'm not sure how you have us in a qb controversy. Kt was worse throwing last week against a way worse team. Dontae Jones is going to be good. But not sure how you have him starting based on a few plays...3 delay of game penalties is absurd that's a certainty. Our ol pass blocking is a mix- some busted communication, some the other team sending more than we can block and a lot of kylin and nick being bad at pass pro. Real bad.

No QB controversy for now. If this continues for another two weeks- then maybe. I think Fitz will figure it out.

Dontae is much more athletic and freakish than Johnson or Green. That will be useful in the SEC.

Agree on the rest.

Homedawg
09-08-2018, 03:57 PM
No QB controversy for now. If this continues for another two weeks- then maybe. I think Fitz will figure it out.

Dontae is much more athletic and freakish than Johnson or Green. That will be useful in the SEC.

Agree on the rest.
Off the subject, but I've heard from multiple people in the know that cumbest looks like the real deal at te.

Leroy Jenkins
09-08-2018, 03:57 PM
I'm disappointed, Todd. You missed the opportunity to title this thread "ankle jerk reactions".

Dawgs31
09-08-2018, 04:15 PM
Did you miss Key throwing last week? Fitz is clearly the guy this year.

tcdog70
09-08-2018, 06:10 PM
Please quit with the Key to Start bullshit. Fitz is our starter, some of our Fans are clueless nay Sayers. Sit back and watch Fitz have a great year.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 06:20 PM
Please quit with the Key to Start bullshit. Fitz is our starter, some of our Fans are clueless nay Sayers. Sit back and watch Fitz have a great year.

We are ALL cheering for & wanting Fitz to be the guy that gets the job done. Every one of us.

The question here is if Fitz forces Moorhead's hand, if we aren't able to move the ball on the ground vs a top team

MetEdDawg
09-08-2018, 06:21 PM

I would ask you to name me something Fitzgerald does better than Key. Better yet, tell me something today that Fitz did that Key couldn't do. Fitz is what he is. He hasn't once won a meaningful game throwing the football. Don't get me wrong. I like him a lot. But his hype is higher than his ability.

SailingDawg
09-08-2018, 06:24 PM
Was it Dantzler who was hurt on the kickoff? Did he return?

SailingDawg
09-08-2018, 06:28 PM
I would ask you to name me something Fitzgerald does better than Key. Better yet, tell me something today that Fitz did that Key couldn't do. Fitz is what he is. He hasn't once won a meaningful game throwing the football. Don't get me wrong. I like him a lot. But his hype is higher than his ability.

Arkansas

VandelayIndustries
09-08-2018, 06:32 PM
Saw Dantzler on the field after he got hurt

BrunswickDawg
09-08-2018, 06:34 PM
Arkansas
Samford - and don't tell me that game wasn't meaningful. That's Dan Mullen's Maine if not for Fitz throwing 5 TDS

Westdawg
09-08-2018, 06:35 PM
In defense of Fitz's passing ability-
at one point he was 4/13 passing, but at least 6 of those incompletions were perfect passes but the targeted WR didn't haul it in. You could sense at that point that Fitz began to force some throws, especially on some of the longer routes.
I personally think you guys that are harping on this cant see what's actually happening on the field sometimes.

Ezsoil
09-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Well I saw a lot of positives...
this O Line is outstanding...there were holes big enough for me to run through....one problem with the quick strike offenses is the inability to eat clock and shorten games.. MSU could have run for 600 yards today but wanted to get Fitz some throws..he was rusty and he does need to learn how to put air under the ball on a positive note... both of Guidry's catches were huge (3rd down conversion and the one when MSU was on the 5)

Defensively this was a great game..they were clearly better at every level no matter who was in the game.....and all the people who were whining about the secondary really don't have anything to talk about.

Pit Bull
09-08-2018, 06:42 PM
Key play to me was the Thompson stretched out INT. That was a game changer. KSU was driving and that changed the momentum for good. Also, Fitz was just a little rusty. I'd like to see some of you come back this well after seeing his foot spin around like Linda Blair's head in the Exorcist.

MetEdDawg
09-08-2018, 06:42 PM
Arkansas

You mean the pass that 3/4 of this board said was a bad decision? I'll give you that game because I agree with you in hindsight and thought that was a hell of a pass when he made it.

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 08:03 PM
In defense of Fitz's passing ability-
at one point he was 4/13 passing, but at least 6 of those incompletions were perfect passes but the targeted WR didn't haul it in. You could sense at that point that Fitz began to force some throws, especially on some of the longer routes.
I personally think you guys that are harping on this cant see what's actually happening on the field sometimes.

That's a fair point. But when Fitz threw it deep today he very rarely had any touch on it. It was like he was seeing how far he could chunk the ball. Also, he forced the ball that got intercepted and just threw it off of an o-lineman's helmet and there was no eligible receiver in the area.

To me, Key also had a rough stretch but at least he was throwing to wide open receivers and his touch was much better than Fitz's today. Key's issue was more mechanical and that's an easier fix than the multiple issues I saw from Fitz today. And yes, I understand that Stephen F Austin at home is much different than K-State on the road.

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 08:05 PM
I'm disappointed, Todd. You missed the opportunity to title this thread "ankle jerk reactions".

I whiffed.

tcdog70
09-08-2018, 08:28 PM
All you QB know it alls, should call up JoMo and tell Him he is just mistaken about Fitz. Our Coaching staff believes that at this point Fitz is way ahead of Key. It isn't close. So props to all you nay saying Fans, for after 1 game after a terrible injury in his last start,Y'all know Fitz ain't worth a shit. Most or y'all are the same nay saying Dudes that said this game would tight and we might just lose. Fitz will have a great year and our Dogs are also going to great. But I am sure you nit picking message board heros will find something to mully grub about.

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 08:35 PM
All you QB know it alls, should call up JoMo and tell Him he is just mistaken about Fitz. Our Coaching staff believes that at this point Fitz is way ahead of Key. It isn't close. So props to all you nay saying Fans, for after 1 game after a terrible injury in his last start,Y'all know Fitz ain't worth a shit. Most or y'all are the same nay saying Dudes that said this game would tight and we might just lose. Fitz will have a great year and our Dogs are also going to great. But I am sure you nit picking message board heros will find something to mully grub about.

I don't have to call JoeMo up because I'm sure he already knows based on the disgusted look on his face after Fitz's interception.

I think Fitz is "worth a shit". But I also think he's immature and needs to grow up.

But if you don't want to discuss sports you can be a Pollyanna somewhere else where everyone is an expert only at whatever the respective job is. The thing is if you don't critically look at yourself- you don't improve. And if you don't improve you stay the same and that makes it less likely to reach your potential. I have a LOT more faith in Joe as far as handling our team and helping us reach our ceiling moreso than Dan. It's not about being "unhappy"- it's about wanting to be the very best you can be. I'm happy we beat a respectable opponent being one dimensional basically. But at the same time we have the potential to get better and be better.

Like the CB's- Jamal had some issues last week. He corrected them this week and I'm happy about that. FWIW Joe or Shoop mentioned that too- and they got it fixed and it's all good.

Dolphus Raymond
09-08-2018, 09:16 PM
Question: though I am disappointed with Fitz's passing, would KT be as dangerous running the ball as Fitz?

tcdog70
09-08-2018, 09:27 PM
That's a fair point. But when Fitz threw it deep today he very rarely had any touch on it. It was like he was seeing how far he could chunk the ball. Also, he forced the ball that got intercepted and just threw it off of an o-lineman's helmet and there was no eligible receiver in the area.

To me, Key also had a rough stretch but at least he was throwing to wide open receivers and his touch was much better than Fitz's today. Key's issue was more mechanical and that's an easier fix than the multiple issues I saw from Fitz today. And yes, I understand that Stephen F Austin at home is much different than K-State on the road.

Who told you Key's problem is just mechanical? Is that just something you figure out yourself. Key doesn't have a strong an arm as Fitz. I'm glad you understand the difference in KState and SFA, because it is a huge difference. What multiple issues did you see, I just saw one, he had trouble throwing long and some WRs failed to Catch some balls.

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 10:05 PM
Who told you Key's problem is just mechanical? Is that just something you figure out yourself. Key doesn't have a strong an arm as Fitz. I'm glad you understand the difference in KState and SFA, because it is a huge difference. What multiple issues did you see, I just saw one, he had trouble throwing long and some WRs failed to Catch some balls.

I figured it out on my own and then Moorhead confirmed it in his interview last week. Doesn't have as much to do with arm strength really. In football you can either make the throws or you can't and it's much more about accuracy, rhythm, and timing than just sheer velocity. Joe Montana didn't have the strongest arm in the NFL- but he could make throws accurately and he was mechanically and technically pretty close to perfect.

Basically when you see a QB missing high consistently like Key was for that stretch- odds are it's a mechanical issue.

Fitz forced some balls at times overthrew receivers deep, blindly threw the ball in the middle of the field with no receiver there and got picked off when he should have taken a sack. Now, yes there were some drops and his o-line didn't help him some- but he should have been a little bit better than he was.

Todd4State
09-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Question: though I am disappointed with Fitz's passing, would KT be as dangerous running the ball as Fitz?

No I don't think Key would be as dangerous as Fitz running the ball.

Hambone
09-08-2018, 11:30 PM
I’m still trying to figure out some simple logic that some off of you “experts” seem to just ignore. KT had a 41% completion percentage against FCS talent.... He rushed for 109 yards against FCS talent... Nick had a 40.7 completion % a POWER 5 school, oh and rushed for 159 yards against a POWER 5 school.

Guys, numbers don’t lie. Nick is our better player and it’s not close. It’s absolutely MIND BOGGLING that some think there is even a debate.

BulldogBear
09-09-2018, 12:34 AM
I’m still trying to figure out some simple logic that some off of you “experts” seem to just ignore. KT had a 41% completion percentage against FCS talent.... He rushed for 109 yards against FCS talent... Nick had a 40.7 completion % a POWER 5 school, oh and rushed for 159 yards against a POWER 5 school.

Guys, numbers don’t lie. Nick is our better player and it’s not close. It’s absolutely MIND BOGGLING that some think there is even a debate.

Rep Given

FordhamRams
09-09-2018, 06:54 AM
Nice start to the season! D looks great and that was a nice P5 road win to start things off.

I was here a bit in the Spring and Summer with some comments about how things played out at PSU and Fordham. Imo, all that matters right now are the W's because these first 4 games or so are where all of the players on O are still figuring out the offense. Every play in Joe's offense has a winning option and Def Coord's know that so they try to disguise looks and bait the O to make the wrong choice. The more experience the QB has, the quicker the right decisions get made. Same goes with the WR's running their routes. In the beginning it's a little bit choppy but game-by-game everything starts to mesh and then you really start to click. PSU won the B10 in Joe's first year and by the end of the year the O was clicking better than any team in the country. What people forget is that the first few games against teams like Temple, Pitt and Michigan were a mess until McSorley started making the proper decisions. The Minnesota game, which PSU won in OT, was where it clicked and then it was off to the races.

Great start to the season!

cujo
09-09-2018, 07:44 AM
We may not go 12-0, although we could, but by the end of the season the offense is going to look vastly improved and the defense is going to be talked about in the same sentence as 1980,81, & 99.
I just hope Aeris Williams does whatever it takes to be a contributing factor in what is going to be one of the best seasons in MS State football.