PDA

View Full Version : Quick Recap: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

BrunswickDawg
09-08-2018, 02:35 PM
The Good: We go on the road to a respectable P5 school, play sloppy, and dominate. Kylin had a coming out party with 212 yards. Fitz showed he can still run. 538 yards of total offense. Defense holds KSU to 212 total yards and 10 points. We played fairly vanilla in our offensive and defensive schemes.

The Bad: Sloppy, sloppy play and some coaching communication. Lots to clean up.

The Ugly: The passing game has not clicked yet. There are some flashes of it here and there. But, if there was any part of the game that was going to be slower to "get there" with a new staff, new scheme, and limited talent - we all knew it would be here. I'm not going to call it a bust or get overly concerned - yet. We also have to keep in mind that we swapped QBs two straight weeks - and that does have an impact on comfort, timing, and confidence and, it shows.

I think all things considered, we are a little behind of where coaches would expect. First road games are also an adjustment for teams as well. The good thing is we have Louisiana and Kentucky coming up next and not one of our bigger games.

2 down. 10 to go.

KOdawg1
09-08-2018, 02:47 PM
We had a couple of dropped passes, most notably Williams' in the end zone (wasn't a bad pass), and OL pass protection was bad at times, but Fitz has got to improve the touch on his ball if we're going to compete with Bama, Auburn, and even Florida. He's not even close on deep passes, he throws off his back foot, and he rifles balls that need to be lobbed.

The good news: we've got two more games against inferior teams to get it fixed. I would've hoped that Fitz improved all of this during the offseason, but it appears he's much of the same.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 03:02 PM
- Do you know how good a team is when they play their best or when they play poorly. Today we showed how talented we are & what our ceiling is. This team will only get better.
- Don't judge our passing offense too early. This is a new offense & the timing isn't quite there yet. Give it time. It took Penn State till Moorhead's 4th game to get going.
- DL is ridiculous
- DBs played better this week.
- I love the defensive swag but Abram has to learn that his recklessness hurts the team.
- Kylin Hill is the first power/speed running back we've had since JJ Johnson. Aeris - power, Holloway - speed, J Rob - Close to power/speed, Perkins - Speed, Dixon - Power, Norwood - speed, etc.
- Fitz will only get better. Why? because this staff will demand that he does & they'll work on it relentlessly.
- Special teams has to be cleaned up. kick return, punt return, the penalties are ridiculous. Joey Jones needs to tighten this up.

In conclusion, we didn't play very well today, but neither does Bama or UGA every week. They key is being good enough in the trenches & at RB that you win easily regardless. I love that this team is not clicking yet. Hopefully they peak later in the year. I think if we were playing Bama or Auburn, we lose today & I think it would've been close vs LSU. Kylin Hill is better than any RB Auburn or LSU has & our OL is as good if not better as well. They key is for the WRs & Fitz to start clicking & I think they will as they find their groove in this offense.

BrunswickDawg
09-08-2018, 03:11 PM
- Do you know how good a team is when they play their best or when they play poorly. Today we showed how talented we are & what our ceiling is. This team will only get better.
- Don't judge our passing offense too early. This is a new offense & the timing isn't quite there yet. Give it time. It took Penn State till Moorhead's 4th game to get going.
- DL is ridiculous
- I love the defensive swag but Abram has to learn that his recklessness hurts the team.
- Kylin Hill is the first power/speed running back we've had since JJ Johnson. Aeris - power, Holloway - speed, J Rob - Close to power/speed, Perkins - Speed, Dixon - Power, Norwood - speed, etc.
- Fitz will only get better. Why? because this staff will demand that he does & they'll work on it relentlessly.
- Special teams has to be cleaned up. kick return, punt return, the penalties are ridiculous. Joey Jones needs to tighten this up.

In conclusion, we didn't play very well today, but neither does Bama or UGA every week. They key is being good enough in the trenches & at RB that you win easily regardless. I love that this team is not clicking yet. Hopefully they peak later in the year. I think if we were playing Bama or Auburn, we lose today & I think it would've been close vs LSU. Kylin Hill is better than any RB Auburn or LSU has & our OL is as good if not better as well. They key is for the WRs & Fitz to start clicking & I think they will as they find their groove in this offense.

We also don’t notice when other teams play like we did today because we aren’t invested in those teams. Hell, I’m sitting here watching UGA and they’ve had a player drop the ball before getting in the end zone on a pick 6 (that a teammate was smart enough to scoop and score with), had 2 stupid PI penalties, and just got burned on a halfback pass, and a stupid delay of game, and I’m not paying close attention.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 03:18 PM
We also don’t notice when other teams play like we did today because we aren’t invested in those teams. Hell, I’m sitting here watching UGA and they’ve had a player drop the ball before getting in the end zone on a pick 6 (that a teammate was smart enough to scoop and score with), had 2 stupid PI penalties, and just got burned on a halfback pass, and a stupid delay of game, and I’m not paying close attention.

Yes. Completely agree

gravedigger
09-08-2018, 03:22 PM
- DL is ridiculous

Agree except that Boobie and Ballard both had speed and power.

HoopsDawg
09-08-2018, 03:33 PM
#freeWhop@slot

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 03:33 PM
Agree except that Boobie and Ballard both had speed and power.

I didn't Boobie was power/speed. Fast enough but not fast.

Ballard was power/speed but Kylin is moreso

Commercecomet24
09-08-2018, 03:39 PM
- DL is ridiculous

Good analysis. I might add though you left out Ballard, Vick never got caught from behind and was a power runner too. Boobie could go pretty good too.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 03:40 PM
Good analysis. I might add though you left out Ballard, Vick never got caught from behind and was a power runner too. Boobie could go pretty good too.

I forget Ballard. He was legit but from a talent perspective, Kylin is moreso than Ballard

BrunswickDawg
09-08-2018, 03:44 PM
384 yards rushing is the most given up in a game by KSU since Nebraska in 2010.

Commercecomet24
09-08-2018, 03:44 PM
I forget Ballard. He was legit but from a talent perspective, Kylin is moreso than Ballard

Agteed. Vick was dang good but Kylin has a chance to be elite.

Lance Harbor
09-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Fitz is in year 5 of not being to throw the long ball. I don't think it is fixable at this point.

We had a couple of dropped passes, most notably Williams' in the end zone (wasn't a bad pass), and OL pass protection was bad at times, but Fitz has got to improve the touch on his ball if we're going to compete with Bama, Auburn, and even Florida. He's not even close on deep passes, he throws off his back foot, and he rifles balls that need to be lobbed.

The good news: we've got two more games against inferior teams to get it fixed. I would've hoped that Fitz improved all of this during the offseason, but it appears he's much of the same.

Bothrops
09-08-2018, 04:11 PM

Ballard had more top end than Hill. Hill is more physical.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 04:12 PM
Ballard had more top end than Hill. Hill is more physical.

Hmm. This is debatable. Interesting.

Johnson85
09-08-2018, 04:56 PM
Fitz is in year 5 of not being to throw the long ball. I don't think it is fixable at this point.

Fits isnt going to be able to throw it well, but not putting any air under it could be just nerves and pressing the first game back.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2018, 05:06 PM
My biggest question is if Fitz is going to force Moorhead's hand?

I realize this is Fitz's team but, if we aren't moving the ball due to poor throws at half time vs Auburn or Florida, Moorhead doesn't have any choice does he?

Bama was Hurts' team last year as well, but he forced Saban's hand.

We all really need to hope that Fitz improves over the next three weeks.

Walkerhill
09-08-2018, 05:09 PM
Moorhead is no dummy, the offense we saw today is our primary offense until a qb matures that can make all the throws. It may not be until Shrader matures in 3-4 years. Or it could be this season if Getsy and Breiner are really stud rock coaches, In the meantime, we have rolled up 1200 yards in an offense that looks more like our old one than his old one.

He will take deep shots because it is part of his dna as a coach, but it will be more like 3-4 a game until we actually hit some of them, and that will serve the purpose of at least giving the secondary something to think about.

My only real complaint is we are running our first team players out on a lot of special team plays, even late in the second half today.

Bottom line - we controlled the game in a notoriously tough away environment and rolled up a bunch of ground yards against a team that prides itself on stopping the run and usually does it well. And of course our d-line is dominating.

Bully13
09-08-2018, 05:17 PM
I hope Fitz can straighten this throwing shit out but I'm not overly confident he can at this point. I would hate to see JOMO have to pull a Saban at 1/2 time and throw Key in to get some down field passes completed to win a big game. It is what it is though I guess. Would feel sorry for Nick. Felt sorry for AE not getting any carries today as well but that's the way the ball bounces. When you are slobber knocking your opponent with the ground game, really no excuse to not hit 50% of the passes.

We doubled the spread on the road. Our D is nasty with a 2 deep Line. We popped their QB hard when we were not sacking him. We were up their ass the whole game. You could see how the trenches were panning out on both sides from the get go to know who was going to dominate. We also had about 38 players catch passes today; same as last week. JOMO and Co still figuring out who the go to guys are going to be. Austin Williams and Guidry?