PDA

View Full Version : WSJ College Rankings

HaggardDawg
09-06-2018, 09:00 AM
They ranked the top 500. We're the only SEC school not ranked in the top 500. Missouri was the next highest at 330. OM at 328. That's unacceptable

Cooterpoot
09-06-2018, 09:02 AM
I thought we were ranked 18th.

msstate7
09-06-2018, 09:02 AM
What's the criteria? Seems our reputation as an academic school is about as high as a quality juco. Hey, but our president supports sports, right?

Johnson85
09-06-2018, 09:06 AM
They ranked the top 500. We're the only SEC school not ranked in the top 500. Missouri was the next highest at 330. OM at 328. That's unacceptable

I don't get that. Last I checked, we had higher ACT scores than Ole Miss and higher starting and mid career salaries. Wonder what we're getting dinged for.

HaggardDawg
09-06-2018, 09:14 AM
It looks like "student involvement" was one of the criteria. Not sure what that even means.

msstate7
09-06-2018, 09:16 AM
It looks like "student involvement" was one of the criteria. Not sure what that even means.

Our students definetely leave the game too early**

Johnson85
09-06-2018, 09:18 AM

Something is screwed up with their stats.

Their methodology is here: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/wall-street-journaltimes-higher-education-college-rankings-2018-methodology

You can compare our scores here: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/rankings/united-states/2018#!/page/0/length/25/name/Mississippi/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/scores

The columns without data means we were outside the top 500 for that column. But it shows Ole Miss having a higher ranking for Environment, which according to methodology is

International students – the proportion of students identified as non-resident aliens (IPEDS)
Student diversity – a Gini-Simpson calculation of the likelihood of two undergraduates being from different racial/ethnic groups (IPEDS)
Faculty diversity – a Gini-Simpson calculation of the likelihood of two faculty members being from different racial/ethnic groups (IPEDS)
Student inclusion – the post-normalisation average of the proportion of Pell Grant recipients (IPEDS) and proportion of first-generation students (College Scorecard)

Something has seriously changed in the past few years if Ole Miss is more diverse than Mississippi state, either with respect to race or nationality.

Not sure about the other stuff, but that jumped out as wrong.

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2018, 09:20 AM

That probabaly means participation in some sort of extracurricular activity. Clubs, community service, possibly frats, that kind of thing. My son is a Sr in mech engineering at MSU right now. He says he would like to get involved but doesn't have the time. He has been bouncing between co-ops and school for 3 years. I believe him.

Political Hack
09-06-2018, 09:27 AM
Better upon entry. Better upon exit.

We're winning.

Commercecomet24
09-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Better upon entry. Better upon exit.

We're winning.

Right on! Listen to Hack!

LC Dawg
09-06-2018, 01:28 PM
There is a lot of worthless shit involved in those rankings. Even after reading it a couple of times I'm still not sure what "Engagement" is.
Also, when reading about engagement is says at least 50 students needed to respond to their survey for the school to be included. It doesn't say if this means included in the overall ranking or just the Engagement ranking. I'll bet that a lot of schools did not have 50 respondents so they got a zero in engagement which lowered the overall score.
I could see some schools realizing this survey was being conducted and encouraging their students to answer positively.
This ranking is bullshit but I don't like to see us get negative publicity. I don't know what the answer is other than to promote ourselves better.

Lord McBuckethead
09-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Yeah, who gives a 17. We have higher admission requirements. We have more enrollment. We have higher initial salaries upon graduation.
I haven't confirmed this, but we also have more MSU grads in Law School there they they have UM grads. I am sure med school is pretty close as well.

So we are better before university, and better after in almost every measurable way.

Bothrops
09-06-2018, 01:46 PM
All we have to do is offer Ivy league courses like - The Feminist Critique of Christianity and The Contruction of Gender, etc. Not only would we be back in the rankings but in the middle of the pack. I'm not kidding either.

Bully13
09-06-2018, 02:26 PM
All we have to do is offer Ivy league courses like - The Feminist Critique of Christianity and The Contruction of Gender, etc. Not only would we be back in the rankings but in the middle of the pack. I'm not kidding either.

Would like more info on this. interesting. Also, I've read in the past where we had a higher % of black enrollment than any other SEC school.

bostondawg
09-06-2018, 05:12 PM
We've had a lot of unacceptable academic ranking slips over the past few years. The core perception of our university is just that--a university.

BeardoMSU
09-06-2018, 05:18 PM

Yeah, that's not it...

Bothrops
09-06-2018, 05:35 PM
Yeah, that's not it...

Well I was only half kidding, kinda.