PDA

View Full Version : CA state judge rules show cause penalties illegal

starkvegasdawg
09-06-2018, 07:36 AM
Don't have the link but is tied to former USC coach suing NCAA. So far as I know this only applies to CA for now.

msstate7
09-06-2018, 07:44 AM
So you can recruit as dirty as you want in California schools?

Homedawg
09-06-2018, 07:45 AM
Leave it to California to come up w something like that....

msstate7
09-06-2018, 07:52 AM
Leave it to California to come up w something like that....

Who wants to live by federal and NCAA rules? Not Californians

ckDOG
09-06-2018, 07:53 AM
https://thebiglead.com/2018/09/05/judge-rules-ncaa-show-cause-penalties-violate-california-law/

Don't buy the logic at all. If a doc were busted for Medicare fraud and the medical board revoked the doc's license to practice medicine, somehow I doubt state law would support that the doc should be able to practice medicine bc the fraudster has now been burdened.

msstate7
09-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Here's one of the law makers now...

https://nypost.com/2018/08/03/passenger-drags-seizure-victim-off-train-in-disturbing-scene/

Not really

Johnson85
09-06-2018, 08:57 AM
https://thebiglead.com/2018/09/05/judge-rules-ncaa-show-cause-penalties-violate-california-law/

Don't buy the logic at all. If a doc were busted for Medicare fraud and the medical board revoked the doc's license to practice medicine, somehow I doubt state law would support that the doc should be able to practice medicine bc the fraudster has now been burdened.

Yea, this is just a stupid judge. NCAA needs to pass a rule stating show-causes will not apply to California schools but that California schools will not be eligible for the post season until the NCAA figures out a way to incorporate them into their rules structure fairly in light of state judicial decisions.

NCAA won't do it but it would be funny to watch the negative reaction towards the judge.

MedDawg
09-06-2018, 08:57 AM
Who wants to live by federal and NCAA rules? Not Californians

And not Ole Mississippians

Cooterpoot
09-06-2018, 09:01 AM
It's not like he banned straws or something.

MedDawg
09-06-2018, 09:04 AM
Don't have the link but is tied to former USC coach suing NCAA. So far as I know this only applies to CA for now.

I thought the show cause rule didn't actually ban anyone from working, just that the hiring school had to justify hiring the coach. Also, it only applies to NCAA schools. The NCAA doesn't say the coach can't coach at non-NCAA schools.

Dawgology
09-06-2018, 09:05 AM
Ole Miss will be on this. Probably already are. Mark my words.

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2018, 09:06 AM
Yea, this is just a stupid judge. NCAA needs to pass a rule stating show-causes will not apply to California schools but that California schools will not be eligible for the post season until the NCAA figures out a way to incorporate them into their rules structure fairly in light of state judicial decisions.

NCAA won't do it but it would be funny to watch the negative reaction towards the judge.

The way this has worked in the past is if somebody hires that guy WHEN (not if) the ruling is overturned every game he participated as a coach in will be forfeited.

msstate7
09-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Miss lawmakers pass law that om doesn't have to abide by bowl ban**

Political Hack
09-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Y'all act like the NCAA is a regulatory body. It's not. It's no different than your local HOA, except it's voluntary. They apply organizational rules to people outside of their organization. That's probably illegal.

Martianlander
09-06-2018, 10:13 AM
It's not like he banned straws or something.

Or cold chicken fingers and chandeliers!

dawgday166
09-06-2018, 10:20 AM
So I thought the show cause doesn't actually keep a coach from being hired again. It just means if the school that hires him gets caught cheating, the hammer drops because they hired that coach. Therefore no schools generally want to take that chance.

Not sure how CA can overturn that unless I misunderstand the show cause.

Johnson85
09-06-2018, 10:49 AM
Y'all act like the NCAA is a regulatory body. It's not. It's no different than your local HOA, except it's voluntary. They apply organizational rules to people outside of their organization. That's probably illegal.

They're not applying the rules to people outside their organization. They're applying the rules to members, and it impacts people who are not members.

That may cause legal problems, but the cited sources don't really provide a valid reason. They do say the opinion is 8 pages, so hopefully the judge actually did lay out a reasoned argument in it. Can't find a decision on line. I'm also not sure what a "tentative decision" is. Not sure if that just means the time for a motion for rehearing hasn't passed or if it's something peculiar to California procedure.

Leeshouldveflanked
09-06-2018, 01:13 PM
I can see if now.... Freeze the second coming!

Bully13
09-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Freeze to UCLA

dawgday166
09-06-2018, 05:15 PM
Freeze to UCLA

Not UCLA (Chip Kelly) but ... you may laugh but Freeze would be dangerous at USC.

dawgs
09-06-2018, 05:40 PM

Well the problem is a doctor impacts public health and is committing a crime (fraud), a coach slipping a recruit some extra money isn't breaking the law and doesn't really impact the public's well-being.

Goldendawg
09-06-2018, 06:15 PM
Not UCLA (Chip Kelly) but ... you may laugh but Freeze would be dangerous at USC.

Yeah, especially when you consider the number of massage parlors in L.A.!

msstate7
09-06-2018, 06:18 PM

He'd have to change his game. USC not gonna like the Jesus' 13th disciple routine

Dawg61
09-06-2018, 06:30 PM
I think Freeze will be back at Ole Miss as HC within 5 years. They're already getting him gigs on ESPN News to start rebuilding his image.

ckDOG
09-06-2018, 08:06 PM

Precisely. You violate the HOA's rules, then don't expect the HOA to put up with your shit. Jesus Christ, do I have to explain this to your disassociated ass? You of all folks should know there are repercussions to violating the rules of the organization MSU voluntarily associates with.

ckDOG
09-06-2018, 08:16 PM
Well the problem is a doctor impacts public health and is committing a crime (fraud), a coach slipping a recruit some extra money isn't breaking the law and doesn't really impact the public's well-being.

Agree the impact to the public is different. Point was regulating body should be able to regulate. If they kill his livelihood to make a living under their rules, he can a) prove he didnt violate the rules he voluntarily promised to adhere to b) prove they are unreasonably restrictivene or c) find another coaching job in a different org (NFL, naia, or whatever). Simple.

Again, I don't know what CA state law is, but i doubt citizens are protected in such a matter that they can shit all over an organizations participation framework and still be able to participate in it.

Make it a civil rights issue that's fine but I doubt many higher courts are going to side with the coach.

dawgs
09-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Agree the impact to the public is different. Point was regulating body should be able to regulate. If they kill his livelihood to make a living under their rules, he can a) prove he didnt violate the rules he voluntarily promised to adhere to b) prove they are unreasonably restrictivene or c) find another coaching job in a different org (NFL, naia, or whatever). Simple.

Again, I don't know what CA state law is, but i doubt citizens are protected in such a matter that they can shit all over an organizations participation framework and still be able to participate in it.

Make it a civil rights issue that's fine but I doubt many higher courts are going to side with the coach.

I'm sure the entire ruling swung on the exact wording of the agreement with the NCAA. Unless that exact wording is included agreements with medical boards and HOAs, then this ruling is unlikely to hold precedence. without knowing the legal analysis (like the actual opinion by the judge and arguments presented by the parties), there's simply no sense in trying to equate this ruling with obviating HOAs and medical boards.

yjnkdawg
09-07-2018, 06:18 PM
So I thought the show cause doesn't actually keep a coach from being hired again. It just means if the school that hires him gets caught cheating, the hammer drops because they hired that coach. Therefore no schools generally want to take that chance.

Not sure how CA can overturn that unless I misunderstand the show cause.

I'm pretty sure that if a school wants to hire a coach, who is under a show cause, the school has to try and justify to the NCAA why they need this particular coach. They can't just hire him because they want to. I don't know of a coach who has been hired under those circumstances. Once the show cause is over, then the NCAA shouldn't have a say in the hire.

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2018, 06:29 PM

I think Freeze will be back at Ole Miss as HC within 5 years. They're already getting him gigs on ESPN News to start rebuilding his image.

I think he's be a great fit at Texas Tech next year.