PDA

View Full Version : The MSU video department should be embarassed

Todd4State
09-05-2018, 09:03 PM
Yes, we got one three minute highlight reel.

In the meantime Ole Miss has a 22 minute highlight show. And freaking USM basically has a condensed game plus highlight video.

There is literally nothing out there on the Internet with regards to highlights for our game last week.

I just wish they would step it up. Give us a show like Relentless again and give us a 15-20 minute video with the condensed highlights from the game. And then a hype video for the upcoming game.

When the video department does something- they do good work. I just wish they would do more. It looks lazy to me.

It's going to suck if we have a special season and the best I can do for highlights are Matt Wyatt breakdowns and whatever WCBI puts out during their newscast.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Yes, we got one three minute highlight reel.

In the meantime Ole Miss has a 22 minute highlight show. And freaking USM basically has a condensed game plus highlight video.

There is literally nothing out there on the Internet with regards to highlights for our game last week.

I just wish they would step it up. Give us a show like Relentless again and give us a 15-20 minute video with the condensed highlights from the game. And then a hype video for the upcoming game.

When the video department does something- they do good work. I just wish they would do more. It looks lazy to me.

It's going to suck if we have a special season and the best I can do for highlights are Matt Wyatt breakdowns and whatever WCBI puts out during their newscast.

2nd this!

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2018, 09:21 PM
3rd this

Between Relentless getting cut and Bob’s position not being replaced, the fans now have no access in getting to know the players.

For a school that’s had endless trouble promoting itself, this is a mind boggling decision that is a step in the wrong direction.

Conversely, I understand the AD not wanting to invest in non revenue producing positions, but I think the long term benefits are worth it.

BorneDawg
09-05-2018, 09:22 PM
This times ~+1

ZedFedder
09-05-2018, 09:31 PM
I’ll take Cohen over Stricklin any day, but this to me is showing the difference between the two. For the actual on field product (what matters most), I’ll take Cohen because he is a coach. He knows what to look for in a prospective coach. But Scott Stricklin was a savvy businessmen and knew marketing well. Sadly, just don’t see this improving much.

Dawg2003
09-05-2018, 10:23 PM
Wait, we don't get Relentless anymore? I wanted a Relentless on the women's basketball team and the baseball team. Damn.

Cooterpoot
09-05-2018, 10:43 PM
Pretty obvious we’ve cut our video group/media folks.

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2018, 10:57 PM
Pretty obvious we’ve cut our video group/media folks.

Yup and now we have a great team in which no one knows the players

BuckyIsAB****
09-06-2018, 12:14 AM
Just win. Winning takes care of everything else

Leeshouldveflanked
09-06-2018, 05:55 AM
We can’t have nice things.

Behrdawg
09-06-2018, 06:55 AM
I agree. We have a brand and it needs to be promoted. Bad move on Cohen.

ATTILLA THE DOG
09-06-2018, 07:14 AM
Does coach Jomo have a tv show?

DawgFromOxford
09-06-2018, 08:07 AM
And then a hype video for the upcoming game.

I would imagine that will come out today. If I remember correctly they used to come out on Thursdays last season. Also if I remember correctly, I think Relentless got canned because not enough people watched it to make it worth the time and effort it took to produce (could be wrong on that though.)

Cary Hudson's little bro
09-06-2018, 08:20 AM
As far as I can tell UM has 18 graphic designers and video production people on staff.

We have 5-7 full time in video and some student interns as far as I can tell on the staff directory. We have much better graphics people though and we've won the top marketing team a couple times. Hang a Banner

Bully13
09-06-2018, 08:23 AM
We play down to our competition. Next week well have a 15 minute video.**

msu15
09-06-2018, 08:59 AM
Agreed, it's crazy how far we lag behind. I also wish we had a subscription service where you could watch past MSU football games.

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2018, 09:15 AM
I would imagine that will come out today. If I remember correctly they used to come out on Thursdays last season. Also if I remember correctly, I think Relentless got canned because not enough people watched it to make it worth the time and effort it took to produce (could be wrong on that though.)

I only watched relentless after something big, like Auburn 14. I hate to tell you guys but MSU is probably ahead of the curve here. Most people today want the condensed version of the condensed version. 3-5 minute highlight clips are where things are going. The old coach's shows and longer stuff are going the way of the dinosaurs.

smootness
09-06-2018, 09:48 AM
I agree. We have a brand and it needs to be promoted. Bad move on Cohen.

A 22-minute highlight show of a mediocre game is not promoting anything to anyone except already die-hard fans.

Cooterpoot
09-06-2018, 10:37 AM
https://s22.postimg.cc/ihrt9p0z5/D8_CB123_B-456_D-48_C6-_AE2_A-_F37643_CADF85.jpg

They did great with this.

msu15
09-06-2018, 10:40 AM
I only watched relentless after something big, like Auburn 14. I hate to tell you guys but MSU is probably ahead of the curve here. Most people today want the condensed version of the condensed version. 3-5 minute highlight clips are where things are going. The old coach's shows and longer stuff are going the way of the dinosaurs.

Exactly why things like Last Chance U are smash hits

Todd4State
09-06-2018, 10:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRhBXbL7gd8

This is a good hype video! They need to keep doing this but add more to what they are doing.

Todd4State
09-06-2018, 10:30 PM
A 22-minute highlight show of a mediocre game is not promoting anything to anyone except already die-hard fans.

But shouldn't the die hard fans be given something?

Todd4State
09-06-2018, 10:31 PM

There are 10-30 and sometimes even longer video clips all over youtube of various games from various teams.

mstatefan91
09-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Put me in the camp that I only watched relentless after a big game or when I was feeling reminiscent

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Exactly why things like Last Chance U are smash hits

Never watched it.

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2018, 11:43 PM

Like a nice, brief, concise highlight clip? Count me in.

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2018, 11:44 PM
There are 10-30 and sometimes even longer video clips all over youtube of various games from various teams.

Are their really? Something else never to watch.

Todd4State
09-07-2018, 12:28 AM
Like a nice, brief, concise highlight clip? Count me in.

I think both should be given. What's wrong with more football?

I know it's going to be hard for you to watch Joe score more in a game than your boy Dan ever did.

Todd4State
09-07-2018, 12:33 AM
Are their really? Something else never to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpCwqP8N9iA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3nVywGOEGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPLCSXVdlUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c72cGNYWKhw

Liverpooldawg
09-07-2018, 12:35 AM
I think both should be given. What's wrong with more football?

I know it's going to be hard for you to watch Joe score more in a game than your boy Dan ever did.

Don't be asinine. I didn't want to see us fire Dan. Now that he is gone, he is gone. It seems you are still clinging to him. I've moved on.

deadheaddawg
09-07-2018, 12:40 AM
DVR it and watch it again, but fast forward through the commercials, offical reviews, and the dead time between snaps.

Because I dedicate all day Saturday to college football, I have to give my wife some of my Sunday. So many NFL games I record and watch that night.

It's great. There is only around 11 mins of actual action in a football game. Think about how that relates to a 22 minutes highlight video. You are watching a bunch of filler instead of the game

And the best part is you can see the game develop again. Watching highlights you might not remember the whole context.

Intramural All-American
09-07-2018, 12:41 AM

Nobody watched Relentless. They can tell how many people access the digital media, and the numbers were so few who actually watched that it made no sense to continue making 30 minute episodes that required time and resources to shoot and cut video. Short clips are what people watch, so that is what they do now.

Todd4State
09-07-2018, 12:45 AM
Don't be asinine. I didn't want to see us fire Dan. Now that he is gone, he is gone. It seems you are still clinging to him. I've moved on.

Nope. Just find it hilarious that you defended him for years and acted like we would never hire anyone as good as him. And then we did.

Todd4State
09-07-2018, 12:50 AM
Nobody watched Relentless. They can tell how many people access the digital media, and the numbers were so few who actually watched that it made no sense to continue making 30 minute episodes that required time and resources to shoot and cut video. Short clips are what people watch, so that is what they do now.

I think part of the problem was they didn't promote it enough. I wish they had given it more of a push before just cutting the cord. I know the baseball players liked it when they did Relentless for the baseball team.

With all the ads on the Jumbotron- "Hey, watch Relentless coming out on youtube on Tuesday." Have players retweet it and talk about "Hey, check out my interview on Relentless!"

For example- the hype video released today has been out for 11 hours before I found it.

I just get the impression it's too much "Oh well, let's just cut it. Let's come up with an excuse as to why we don't do it anymore".

msu15
09-07-2018, 08:29 AM

Relentless has more views than each individual highlight or pump up video so far since Moorhead was hired, and it will probably continue to be this way throughout the season.

smootness
09-07-2018, 08:41 AM

That's a fair argument. I was responding specifically to the claim that this would somehow promote our brand.

smootness
09-07-2018, 08:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpCwqP8N9iA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3nVywGOEGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPLCSXVdlUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c72cGNYWKhw

Dude, none of these were produced by a school's video department, only one was posted the week after the actual game, and two of them were posted 3+ YEARS after the fact.

You want to see a full highlight video of us vs. Stephen F Austin? They don't produce that because no one is going to watch it. They're not going to spend a ton of time and effort on something that won't be watched.

If you want one, make it and post it yourself. Because that's what most of these are - fan made.

sandwolf
09-07-2018, 09:00 AM

This doesn't surprise me at all. I have literally never watched a single minute of Relentless, but I have probably watched the 3 minute highlight video of the 2014 LSU game 100 times. I still get chills during the intro........"Ladies and gentlemen, the sun will soon find it's home in the western sky, and it will be Saturday night in Death Valley!" followed up by the crowd going nuts -- so, so good.

But back to the original point....most people don't want to watch a 30 minute show every week that covers everything up to and including the game; they just want a good 3-4 minute highlight video that they can watch to relive the high points of the game.

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2018, 09:01 AM

Then don't make it 30 min.

How about 2 10 min videos each week? I'd just love to see some behind the scenes stuff that focused on game preparation & the player personalities.

lastmajordog
09-07-2018, 09:34 AM
delete

StateDawg44
09-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Then don't make it 30 min.

How about 2 10 min videos each week? I'd just love to see some behind the scenes stuff that focused on game preparation & the player personalities.

I agree.

It really wouldn't be that hard to give two people with an inkling of an eye for good video shots that can do even simple edits to make that happen. It does take a little bit of time to put all of that together though in a good transitioning sequence though.

Intramural All-American
09-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Relentless has more views than each individual highlight or pump up video so far since Moorhead was hired, and it will probably continue to be this way throughout the season.

Seeing that Relentless isn?t produced anymore, I don?t see how that?s possible...

IMissJack
09-07-2018, 08:40 PM
Holy crap, as a kid, I used to stay up late on Sunday nights just to get to watch MSU highlights on the Coach ____ show with Jack Cristil, and most were losses. Fast forward 40 years with all the digital cameras, computers, etc. we can't produce any type of highlights? Seems like it could be done these days much cheaper than it could with film years ago. MSU marketing has got to produce information for alums and fans that do not live within 50 miles of Oktibbeha county.

iPat09
09-07-2018, 10:57 PM
If you look at the rest of the YouTube page, it does seem to be lacking. It's mostly press conference, and quick short cuts less than 3 minutes.

Goldendawg
09-07-2018, 11:04 PM

I go no matter who we play, but face it the game against a SFA was really a waste of a fan's hard-earned time and $. $ spent on a highlight video against them is just more $ wasted. Step it up for our many future victories against real competition. Hail State!