PDA

View Full Version : Talked to a buddy about KT today

BeastMan
09-04-2018, 04:12 PM
He?s in the KT was lights out camp and I?m on the other end. By the end of the convo he pulled me a little more central because he made what I thought was a great point.

He argued that ya, KT was inaccurate but more often than not it was the right read. Said he was processing better in year 2 than Fitz was in year 2 by a wide margin. 1 throw he specifically recalled was the TD pass to Aeris where he had a guy on his ankles quickly and as impressive as that throw was the quick processing and correct decision was bigger.

He went through numerous passes including incompletions and he was pursuasive. If he?s right and he very well may be, we, I, need to be more patient with KT because the mechanical stuff is easier to work on than above the shoulders.

MafiaDawg
09-04-2018, 04:15 PM
KT has played 3 meaningful college games and has had 3 different head coaches. He will be fine.

Todd4State
09-04-2018, 04:16 PM
As I have said before I think his issue Saturday was more about mechanics. I did notice that he was throwing to guys that were wide open and none of his passes were forced or even close to being intercepted. I also noticed that most of his incompletions in the third quarter were consistently sailing high.

I'm not a QB coach by any stretch of the imagination and I don't know how to correct that but I would imagine it's similar to a pitcher being off mechanically where the catcher goes out and tells them to fix whatever.

Dawg61
09-04-2018, 04:18 PM
Well said. I have been very impressed with Key. I think he can take us to the playoff before he leaves. I thought his decision making and timing in the pocket were much better than vs Louisville.

LC Dawg
09-04-2018, 04:20 PM
I wasn't overly enthusiastic about KT's performance but I kept telling myself that it is the 1st game of his true sophomore season and he found out he was starting a week ago and it was only his second start. He may have know he was starting earlier but he started taking 1st team reps a week ago. I know the backup is supposed to always be ready but they are the backup for a reason. I saw some people say they thought he had regressed but I thought his performance Saturday night was just about like his performance against Louisville in the bowl game. I didn't think he threw the ball well in that game but he ran well. After watching the game replay last night I thought KT looked a little better than he did in the bowl game.
That pass to Aeris was definitely a wow moment.

Dolphus Raymond
09-04-2018, 04:27 PM
KT has played 3 meaningful college games and has had 3 different head coaches. He will be fine.

Hammer meets nail squarely upon the head.

Dawgology
09-04-2018, 04:33 PM
The only issue I saw was that he under threw several wide open guys, even on completion. That is mechanics, arm strength, and timing. Those will be better developed as he gets more meaningful snaps with the first team WR's.

StarkVegasSteve
09-04-2018, 04:58 PM
For me it's a weird situation. Because while i wasn't impressed with the 13/31, I soon realize that out of the 13, 5 of them were TDs which I'm very impressed with

Turfdawg67
09-04-2018, 05:07 PM
As I have said before I think his issue Saturday was more about mechanics. I did notice that he was throwing to guys that were wide open and none of his passes were forced or even close to being intercepted. I also noticed that most of his incompletions in the third quarter were consistently sailing high.

I'm not a QB coach by any stretch of the imagination and I don't know how to correct that but I would imagine it's similar to a pitcher being off mechanically where the catcher goes out and tells them to fix whatever.

Cool. JoMo reading your posts again Todd, he said the same thing. LOL! He summed it up by saying "Right church, wrong Pew".

SailingDawg
09-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Keyteon won the bowl game last year. The last scoring drive was all him. Love watching that game over and over.

ZedFedder
09-04-2018, 06:53 PM
Keytaon isnt there yet but thankfully doesn’t have to be if Fitz is healthy. I think by next year having this much time with Moorhead and Co, he will be very good.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2018, 07:09 PM
I?ve heard that Moorhead?s offense is significantly less complicated than Mullen?s. That may account for the better processing.

That?s being said, Key will be a stud

Dawg61
09-04-2018, 08:04 PM
Key averaged 36 yards a completion and almost .50% TD ratio to completion. I think some need to chill on the critiquing.

viverlibre
09-04-2018, 08:12 PM
I think he can take us to the playoff before he leaves.

Please pass me that crack pipe! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we ain't going to the playoff in the next three years.

Ezsoil
09-04-2018, 08:45 PM
I?ve heard that Moorhead?s offense is significantly less complicated than Mullen?s. That may account for the better processing.

That?s being said, Key will be a stud

I keep hearing that Mullen's offense was complicated except it seemed to be very one dimensional ...run oriented with some underneath passes...

Dawg61
09-04-2018, 09:03 PM
Please pass me that crack pipe! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we ain't going to the playoff in the next three years.

Key & Mo will win 20 games with him as the starter before Key leaves MSU. Book it.

WesternSkyDawg
09-04-2018, 09:36 PM

His release point was low, which causes the ball to sail.

Dak was doing the same thing in 2014. Sailed one right over a wide open TE on the goal line in Tuscaloosa. Got it fixed before 2015.

Jack Lambert
09-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Fitz had a red shirt year.

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-05-2018, 12:42 AM
I keep hearing that Mullen's offense was complicated except it seemed to be very one dimensional ...run oriented with some underneath passes...

Makes me wonder if JoMo's is more sophisticated but Dan's is more complicated. Probably to make himself feel smart. That ego ain't gonna fill itself

RiverCityDawg
09-05-2018, 06:04 AM
Even though no one would admit it, I feel like in their heads people are judging KT (and Fitz, for that matter) based on Dak at Dak's best. How about people compare KT to Dak's second year in the program. He didn't play hardly at all and could barely complete a forward pass. KT just threw for 350+, ran for 100+ and scored 7(!!!!!!!) touchdowns. Perspective, people. He's the backup and he's 2-0 in starts.

tcdog70
09-05-2018, 02:33 PM
i laughed when the announcer said Key was 0 for 8 in the 3td quarter and boom he throws a TD. so 1 for 8 with a TD. I guess some folks would have been happier with dinking and dunking for 6 for 8 and then miss a field goal. he throws for 5 tds and runs for 2 tds--17 Me running--how is that not a great thing?? yep, he could have been more accurate and Hillary could have been the President. Just be thankful how $hit works out.

Dawg61
09-05-2018, 03:32 PM
i laughed when the announcer said Key was 0 for 8 in the 3td quarter and boom he throws a TD. so 1 for 8 with a TD. I guess some folks would have been happier with dinking and dunking for 6 for 8 and then miss a field goal. he throws for 5 tds and runs for 2 tds--17 Me running--how is that not a great thing?? yep, he could have been more accurate and Hillary could have been the President. Just be thankful how $hit works out.

Was digging your post till you went poli

West Tn Dawg
09-05-2018, 07:08 PM
I'm still diggin it!!!!!!:p

tcdog70
09-05-2018, 09:22 PM

Ha not Political Just an example.

viverlibre
09-05-2018, 09:36 PM
Key & Mo will win 20 games with him as the starter before Key leaves MSU. Book it.

Brah, winning 10 games per season (which will not happen three years in a row) is nowhere near getting into the playoff.

To get to a playoff, we will likely have to get by UA and AU in the same year and get by UGA in the SEC Champ Game. So unless Kirby Smart shows in Starkville tomorrow and sets us up with a bunch of 5 stars to sign this winter/spring (who would be in their second year the season Key is a Senior), we aint sniffing the playoff. UGA is a monster and Tua has another year after this one. Auburn will cheat their ass off to stay a few steps behind Bama.

Dawg61
09-06-2018, 12:12 AM
Brah, winning 10 games per season (which will not happen three years in a row) is nowhere near getting into the playoff.

To get to a playoff, we will likely have to get by UA and AU in the same year and get by UGA in the SEC Champ Game. So unless Kirby Smart shows in Starkville tomorrow and sets us up with a bunch of 5 stars to sign this winter/spring (who would be in their second year the season Key is a Senior), we aint sniffing the playoff. UGA is a monster and Tua has another year after this one. Auburn will cheat their ass off to stay a few steps behind Bama.

I said he'll win 20 games. I didn't say we won't win more than 20 and I didn't say we'll win only 10 games per season. I said Key will have 20 wins as a starter before he leaves. It's better to set the number a little lower for the individual than just throw all the chips on the table with Key and say he is gonna win an absurd amount before he leaves that leaves no room for error/injury. Both Dak and Fitz missed a couple games after they were clearly the #1. Dak's shoulder got hurt vs aTm. Fitz got injured and had a suspension. We still won some games without them starting. Same thing could happen with Key. He could be out a game or two and we still win.

msbulldog
09-06-2018, 06:25 AM

That's funny! +1