PDA

View Full Version : LSU #11 in Ap will be sweeter when we pound that ass at death valley we stayed at 18

99jc
09-04-2018, 01:12 PM
nm

TrapGame
09-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Holy crap!

#25 to #11 by beating a Miami team that is obviously NOT a top 10 team.

Cooterpoot
09-04-2018, 01:38 PM
And this is why schools like us can't win a natty. Certain schools get big perks.

3rdGen
09-04-2018, 01:45 PM
I am a bit pissed about this bs "ranking" system, nobody should be ranked until the playoff committee puts out the poll. That is the only poll that matters anyway and I realize that there have always been polls but that doesn't mean there always has to be polls.
but at the same time I am like you, thinking that if they are number 2 when we beat that ass it will be all the better for us, send them dbags to number 2 AP and coaches poll and lets get a big bump when we beat them by 27 in death valley! yeah I said 27.

Bass Chaser
09-04-2018, 01:47 PM
They also lost Chaisson for the year with a torn ACL.

Jack Lambert
09-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Only one poll counts and it has always been good to us. It will be out in about seven weeks or so.

msstate7
09-04-2018, 02:01 PM
And this is why schools like us can't win a natty. Certain schools get big perks.

Didn't we benefit from a huge jump in 2014 by beating LSU? We went from unranked to #1 by beating 3 avg teams (granted, benefit of hindsight)

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2018, 02:04 PM
I don't think rankings much matter outside of 1. Being in them so that your highlights are shown on ESPN, talked about on Gameday, etc & 2. If you're in the top 10, in which case you start getting real pub.

I'm the big complain about the rankings guy, but from a promotional standpoint, there is virtually no difference between being ranked 11th or 18th.

Also, I'm kind of in favor of teams getting what they deserve. I think we are better than LSU, but they did beat a Miami team that was perceived as being good & we beat SFA. At this point, LSU has accomplished more & that has nothing to do with their helmet.

That being said, we have a great chance of moving up ourselves. We'll pass LSU in a few weeks after they get beat by Auburn

Cooterpoot
09-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Didn't we benefit from a huge jump in 2014 by beating LSU? We went from unranked to #1 by beating 3 avg teams (granted, benefit of hindsight)

Wasn't AU 5-0 when we beat them? Wasn't LSU 3-0? This was the first game and Miami has lost 4 straight going back to last year. They got a huge benefit because of their name in the rankings, now it's LSU. It's all about keeping the perception of those programs as positive as possible (barring something ugly) and keeping them in the light. If LSU returned as many starters as us, they'd have been top 5 or top 10.

Dawgology
09-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Yeah.... that ranking will NOT hold for them. Analysts just seem to do kneejerk reactions these days because they are scared of missing something. In a couple weeks we will see everything fall in place. We just need to focus on oursleves and keep winning.

Gutter Cobreh
09-04-2018, 02:53 PM

What are you talking about? Why wouldn't we want this?

I, personally, want every team we play to be ranked as high as possible. Why, you may ask? Because when we beat them, we continue to move higher. Also, if we were to suffer a loss - it helps to propel us back into the national conversation.

This is the Alabama model of making National Championship games. They lose to someone like Ole Miss early in the season, but rebound against teams who have overinflated rankings to justify them continuing to move up in the polls.

fishwater99
09-04-2018, 03:08 PM

I, personally, want every team we play to be ranked as high as possible. Why, you may ask? Because when we beat them, we continue to move higher. Also, if we were to suffer a loss - it helps to propel us back into the national conversation.

This is the Alabama model of making National Championship games. They lose to someone like Ole Miss early in the season, but rebound against teams who have overinflated rankings to justify them continuing to move up in the polls.

^^Truth

Outsider
09-04-2018, 03:11 PM
To be honest, LSU looked very strong.

smootness
09-04-2018, 03:14 PM
Wasn't AU 5-0 when we beat them? Wasn't LSU 3-0? This was the first game and Miami has lost 4 straight going back to last year. They got a huge benefit because of their name in the rankings, now it's LSU. It's all about keeping the perception of those programs as positive as possible (barring something ugly) and keeping them in the light. If LSU returned as many starters as us, they'd have been top 5 or top 10.

Or it's that, more often than not, these teams are near the top in the country. So when making predictions about a coming season, they're safer bets.

They also generally have more talent than we do. So since one of the primary reasons for us being ranked so high is the number of starters and upperclassmen we have, well yes, LSU would be ranked at least as high if they also returned that.

It's not a problem. Beat them, and we will jump them.

If we go 12-1 or 13-0 and don't compete for the national title because some big name school is ranked higher than us with more losses, then your claim is valid. But you think this is why we don't win national titles? Lulz.

TrapGame
09-04-2018, 03:16 PM

Defensively they looked like a good SEC defense. Offensively they were running plays from a yellowed, coffee stained notebook their OC has been carrying around for 30 years and Manny's defense got exposed in the first game of the season.

Dawgology
09-04-2018, 03:23 PM

Their offense looked about the same: Their QB was 11-24 no TD's or INT's, their runningback looked good with 125 yards at 5.7 YPC but I think that stat has more to do with Manny's bend but don't break defensive philosophy.
Their defense played a little better than expected but Miami also looked like crap on offense honestly. LSU still allowed Miami to gain 342 yards and actual outgained LSU who had 296 yards total for the game.

Dont forget, LSU kicked 4 field goals in that game and their D had a pick six. Their offense actually put the ball in the endzone twice.

I'm not saying LSU sucks by any stretch. They are a good team. I just think this win over Miami is being over-valued. Miami has now lost 4 straight being outscored by almost 100 points. How the hell they were ranked #8 is a mystery.

99jc
09-04-2018, 03:31 PM
This is what Vegas thinks about the top 25....probably more accurate than AP poll....notice our FPI is 14.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/24533344/college-football-vegas-top-25-college-football-rankings

TUSK
09-04-2018, 03:42 PM

Fact.

If y'all beat a top ten LSU & top ten AU, and then aren't top ten, I'll allow the bitchin'...

Also, beyond Bammer, Clemson, UGA, Ohio St., and Okie, there's a lot of teams that could get in the top 10... or fall off a cliff, IMO....

Cooterpoot
09-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Or it's that, more often than not, these teams are near the top in the country. So when making predictions about a coming season, they're safer bets.

They also generally have more talent than we do. So since one of the primary reasons for us being ranked so high is the number of starters and upperclassmen we have, well yes, LSU would be ranked at least as high if they also returned that.

It's not a problem. Beat them, and we will jump them.

If we go 12-1 or 13-0 and don't compete for the national title because some big name school is ranked higher than us with more losses, then your claim is valid. But you think this is why we don't win national titles? Lulz.

Which is what I said. Certain teams get certain perks. We smoked them last year and all of a sudden they're jumping way above us from nowhere. They beat a bad Miami team. We beat Miami, we might've jumped 2-4 spots max. Makes it hard to get the national pub when there's a decided disadvantage/bias.

TUSK
09-04-2018, 03:53 PM
Which is what I said. Certain teams get certain perks. We smoked them last year and all of a sudden they're jumping way above us from nowhere. They beat a bad Miami team. We beat Miami, we might've jumped 2-4 spots max. Makes it hard to get the national pub when there's a decided disadvantage/bias.

Don't sweat the AP/Coaches polls, buddy... they're just for drama/entertainment...

You don't mean with the CFP Committee, right?

ScoobaDawg
09-04-2018, 04:39 PM
What a joke the polls are at times... goodness.

Johnson85
09-04-2018, 08:48 PM
Large jumps like that should be how the first three or four weeks go. Nobody knows anything so there should be big jumps as people figure things out. The problem is there is not enough movement usually.

Edited to translate from Milesese to English.

TUSK
09-04-2018, 11:08 PM
Lay jumping like that should be how he first three or four weeks go. Nobody knows anything so here should be. It jumps as people figure things out. He problem is there is not enough movement usually.

Holy shit. Les Miles has hacked ED!

BogeyGolfer
09-05-2018, 07:06 AM
twice in almost 30 years in BR. One was with the Dallas Cowboys Qb and the other was at the end of the Cold War. I would love to see another win down there but that will be a tall order even if we have the better team. Personally, I think we may lose that one but I think we beat AU at home. It's hard to tell until we play a team with a pluse. This weekend and the Florida game will tell us a lot. To your main point, yes, it stinks that LSU jumped so high the media wants them to be good so bad, same with a lot of teams. We earn respect on the field.

Bully13
09-05-2018, 08:22 AM
Lay jumping like that should be how he first three or four weeks go. Nobody knows anything so here should be. It jumps as people figure things out. He problem is there is not enough movement usually.

Damn Johnson, didn't know you partook in adult beverages. Well done sir!