PDA

View Full Version : For golfers ....

RocketDawg
09-03-2018, 06:32 PM
I'm watching the Dell Technologies FedEx playoff, somewhat delayed since I was gone all day.

Does anybody else get tired of the announcers fawning all over DeChambeau and his supposed analytic approach and capabilities? They talk about it all the time, as if it's something unique. Most of us do the same type thing, but mentally. It's just part of the reasoning process.

Red Sox Dawg
09-03-2018, 06:51 PM
He is an interesting guy, but he?s different. Doesn?t really cock his wrists on his swing, all his irons are the same length (6 iron), really back and through without too much loading up. Not a traditional approach. He?s taking analytics to a different level for golf. He was using a compass for a while until they told him that he couldn?t use it during a live round.

RocketDawg
09-03-2018, 07:17 PM
He is an interesting guy, but he?s different. Doesn?t really cock his wrists on his swing, all his irons are the same length (6 iron), really back and through without too much loading up. Not a traditional approach. He?s taking analytics to a different level for golf. He was using a compass for a while until they told him that he couldn?t use it during a live round.

I know, but my point is that it's all totally unnecessary (and especially the announcers talking about his approach all the time ... he can do as he wants). I think one thing they need to outlaw though ... the greens books. The players should have to read the greens themselves.

I remember one time during a tournament, Anika Sorenstam got DQ'd for using some sort of instrument ... maybe an anemometer? Wasn't DeChambeau's instrument a circle-drawing compass, instead of a NSEW magnetic compass that we might initially think of? If it was the circle-drawing one, I don't see how that could give him an unfair advantage, but it would take too dang long to go through all the drawings, etc.

The equal shaft length clubs might not be a bad idea, if you do it when you first start playing.

Hot Rock
09-03-2018, 07:30 PM
He does take it to another level. It's a bit unnecessary in my mind because I try to "feel" what the ball will do rather than think it based on the environment.

I just don't think like he does. I would hate the "GAME" if I had to do it his way and would not play it. I don't go out there to do a math problem.

Having said that, he can do what ever floats his boat.

I do really like the idea of having all his irons the same length. I could do that for sure and I think seeing the same length shaft every time may give you a more consistent swing.

But knowing the degree of slop of the ball above my feet? Nope, I can see that for myself.

Red Sox Dawg
09-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Some of the announcers may use it for talking points a little too much, but for the last couple of months he’s been in the top of every tournament so they have to talk about him. Gets old but I still think he’s interesting and different so that’s why they mention it so much. I could be wrong but I think he was using the compass to get the wind right. Not sure what else a compass could tell you playing golf. The greens books just slow it down and takes some of the work out of it for the caddy and the player. I don’t think they should use them. Yardage books and their notes, period.

RocketDawg
09-03-2018, 07:34 PM
He does take it to another level. It's a bit unnecessary in my mind because I try to "feel" what the ball will do rather than think it based on the environment.

I just don't think like he does. I would hate the "GAME" if I had to do it his way and would not play it. I don't go out there to do a math problem.

Having said that, he can do what ever floats his boat.

I do really like the idea of having all his irons the same length. I could do that for sure and I think seeing the same length shaft every time may give you a more consistent swing.

But knowing the degree of slop of the ball above my feet? Nope, I can see that for myself.

Yeah, exactly. I guess we (I know I do) play the game for enjoyment, not for a living. But I think we're all analytical of a shot to an extent; we just don't say it out loud. :) We take into account if the green's above or below us, the wind, the temperature, etc.

RocketDawg
09-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Some of the announcers may use it for talking points a little too much, but for the last couple of months he’s been in the top of every tournament so they have to talk about him. Gets old but I still think he’s interesting and different so that’s why they mention it so much. I could be wrong but I think he was using the compass to get the wind right. Not sure what else a compass could tell you playing golf. The greens books just slow it down and takes some of the work out of it for the caddy and the player. I don’t think they should use them. Yardage books and their notes, period.

Yes, agree, but on the other hand I don't really have any problem with them using laser range finders. I think they're all too dependent on their caddies ... I suppose that's traditional of a rich man's game, but still ....

TimberBeast
09-03-2018, 09:24 PM
I don’t see how anyone could complain about announcers or golf channel giving a particular golfer too much attention without first mentioning tiger. At least DeChambeau is actually winning.