PDA

View Full Version : Baseball decommits

AlSwearengen
09-03-2018, 05:32 PM
Todd or any of the others that follow baseball closely, what is your take on this? You would expect some with a new coach, but there have been several. We recently had a 2019 from Madison decommit, as well as a kid from GA that was highly regarded.

Now that he is gone, I always wondered how Cannizzaro could recruit so well. He was a goofy 17?er.

maroonmania
09-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Todd or any of the others that follow baseball closely, what is your take on this? You would expect some with a new coach, but there have been several. We recently had a 2019 from Madison decommit, as well as a kid from GA that was highly regarded.

Now that he is gone, I always wondered how Cannizzaro could recruit so well. He was a goofy 17?er.

But, I thought Cohen said we hired the best recruiter in the country????

Rick Danko
09-03-2018, 09:20 PM
But, I thought Cohen said we hired the best recruiter in the country????

Good god.......

HoopsDawg
09-03-2018, 09:31 PM
It's pretty crazy. We've lost about 7 or 8 commitments from 2019 and 2020 with more on the way I hear.

Todd4State
09-03-2018, 09:33 PM
I don't think it's a great sign but I do think that a lot of it probably has to do with new staff turnover when you get down to it.

Cann recruited well because he had MLB connections and could put players in a position to be drafted high and get into pro baseball. He was also a very good hitting coach when he wasn't distracted. It's one thing for someone like Augie Garrido to say that you are a good player. It's another thing for a coach with MLB scouting experience to say it.

Lemonis is going to get a chance to prove himself to me. He may be a very good recruiter. But I'm not sure that he has the evaluation part down or the MLB connections to get players to come to MSU and bypass the draft consistently. Gautreau does but I'm sure he will leave in a couple of years when a head coaching opportunity comes along. And maybe Lemonis will prove to me that he can evaluate talent and get it to campus. We'll see.

Todd4State
09-03-2018, 09:37 PM
It's pretty crazy. We've lost about 7 or 8 commitments from 2019 and 2020 with more on the way I hear.

I wish Cohen had gone with someone with a similar MLB scouting/coaching background as Cann with more maturity after he decided not to go with Schlossnagle. Ideally, I think you would like to have your head coach, pitching coach, and hitting coach be guys with MLB scouting ties and then the volunteer assistant guy to be someone with a lot of local type connections like a Jarrod Parks or someone like that who can tell the guys that can recruit off campus about player X and let them go check them out and evaluate them.

But as typical for MSU when something bad happens or goes sour with a coach of course everything now all of a sudden has to go in a completely different direction. Which is silly and shortsighted in all sports.

ZedFedder
09-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Who all has decommitted?

maroonmania
09-03-2018, 10:20 PM
I wish Cohen had gone with someone with a similar MLB scouting/coaching background as Cann with more maturity after he decided not to go with Schlossnagle. Ideally, I think you would like to have your head coach, pitching coach, and hitting coach be guys with MLB scouting ties and then the volunteer assistant guy to be someone with a lot of local type connections like a Jarrod Parks or someone like that who can tell the guys that can recruit off campus about player X and let them go check them out and evaluate them.

But as typical for MSU when something bad happens or goes sour with a coach of course everything now all of a sudden has to go in a completely different direction. Which is silly and shortsighted in all sports.

Well, during the coaching search everyone was dying to get McDonnell. We didn't get him but ended up getting his top assistant from his coaching tree that had way more HC experience than Cann ever had. Also held onto Gautreaux for continuity sake and landed a very highly respected P5 pitching coach. I understand wanting the MLB scouting angle but this should be a very strong staff. Not sure why we are having trouble holding onto commits?

Todd4State
09-03-2018, 10:27 PM
Well, during the coaching search everyone was dying to get McDonnell. We didn't get him but ended up getting his top assistant from his coaching tree that had way more HC experience than Cann ever had. Also held onto Gautreaux for continuity sake and landed a very highly respected P5 pitching coach. I understand wanting the MLB scouting angle but this should be a very strong staff. Not sure why we are having trouble holding onto commits?

It should be a good staff. But if we want to win a National Title I feel like the best chance for us to do that is with coaches with MLB ties.

That or MSU needs to invest in MLB type people that can help us out legally of course. We have enough MLB connections just from MSU throughout the game to make that work. In the past I think Polk wanted to do his own thing and there was some brushback when Cohen was the coach plus it was a different era when they were coaching. With Cann and Henderson it was a transition state. We're finally settled and once this staff has been in place for a year or so things will finally settle down for us.

Cooterpoot
09-03-2018, 10:27 PM
We 17’d up our coach search and settled. It is what it is. Lemonis is under an intense microscope. He better get it done.
Lots of folks not happy with our search and skeptical of our hire. Like Todd said, I’ll give him a shot. But....

Todd4State
09-03-2018, 10:28 PM
Who all has decommitted?

Eric Newsom, Cal Smith recently, Lukas Cooke, Bill Williams, probably Michael Brooks, and that's off the top of my head.

ZedFedder
09-03-2018, 10:33 PM
Dang...

Commercecomet24
09-03-2018, 10:36 PM
Don't panic just yet. There are some commits coming that will help alleviate some of the decommits. We just need to have a little patience.

maroonmania
09-03-2018, 10:50 PM
We 17’d up our coach search and settled. It is what it is. Lemonis is under an intense microscope. He better get it done.
Lots of folks not happy with our search and skeptical of our hire. Like Todd said, I’ll give him a shot. But....

Maybe so, but apparently everyone 17's up their baseball coaching search because nobody seems to be able to get a Top 10 baseball coach to move from whatever school they are currently at.

Todd4State
09-03-2018, 11:15 PM
Don't panic just yet. There are some commits coming that will help alleviate some of the decommits. We just need to have a little patience.

And that's exactly why I'm giving him a chance at this point. Decommits happen when there is turnover. Heck, it happened some when we lost Butch and Mingione. We're having camps right now and I expect us to land some players this month.

The other good news is I think we have an Omaha caliber team again this year and also probably again next year as well. If we keep making it to Omaha and players like Ginn develop into first round picks it will help with recruiting immensely. Last year's group of freshmen- the Tanner Allen's, Rowdey's, Westburg's, etc. had much better seasons than our number one class from 1995 had as freshmen- and that 1995 group made it to Omaha twice. With Ginn's draft eligibility being after his sophomore year I'm lumping him into that group now- and he has more upside than anyone else in that freshman class from last year. He's basically like adding in two more elite players to that group.

Pit Bull
09-04-2018, 03:24 AM

^^^This^^^...……..just have to wait and see. Have to give Lemonis a chance. So far, Cohen has had one good hire and one bad hire....but the bad one was kinda not in his control to detect prior to. Until Lemonis fails, I'm good with him if John is.

basedog
09-04-2018, 07:50 AM
I will spill, I have an inside commit recruit source, he says Lemonis and staff are the real deal. We have some big time commits coming soon. We had some big time recruits at the game Saturday, some of you guys need to chill just a little, Lemonis may have been a surprise choice but he is well liked.

Btw, my source is the real deal, has a chance to be special in a few years as he is young. This staff has some strong recruiters.