PDA

View Full Version : A couple of football thoughts...

HoopsDawg
09-03-2018, 01:30 PM
1. It appears Daryl Williams is our backup center and will be our starter next year. Moorhead got him some reps at C. Also got D. Parker some reps in the first quarter at G and Tyree Phillips got a lot of reps. Very smart move in case someone gets injured.

2. Clean depth chart this week. Cut out all of that "OR" BS that mullen used all year. It appears to me that Moorhead has all of our personnel in the right spots. We started Austin Williams and O. Mitchell at WR and Kylin at RB. No doubt Mullen would have started Jackson and Thomas at WR and Williams at RB.

3. Huge Loss for Ole Miss today. Jaylon Jones, their best corner is out for the year with a torn ACL. I was really impressed with him on Saturday in coverage and he also took a kickoff to the house. Ole Miss does not have the depth to replace him.

4. I'm a little concerned about our punting. My guess is Kansas State only stands about 35-40 yards back this week.

5. I think as the year goes on, Mixon may have a chance to move ahead of Thomas on the depth chart. Nothing against Thomas, I just think Mixon can make plays in space.

6. To me, you can disguise blitzes better in a 3-4 than a 4-2-5. We were able to get some pressure, but it was fairly obvious where it was coming from. Brian Cole and Abram are going to be like Ashley Cooper and Pig on those safety blitzes though. We played a lot of guys but we gave up way too many yards especially considering all of the negative plays we forced. The SFA receiver also dropped an easy TD. Our defense will only be as good as Dantzler, Peters, and Smitherman make it.

7. This Kansas State game on the road will give us a much better idea of how good we are or are not. Don't let that South Dakota game fool you. KSU usually has a couple of stinkers a year but they always get up for a couple of games and surprise you. We will get their best effort.

Jack Lambert
09-03-2018, 01:35 PM
You don't have to hide speed in pass rushing. They already don't have enough blockers to double team all the personnel they have to double team. No running back is going to block Cole. K State does not have the speed on offense.

HoopsDawg
09-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Was Story on the side lines?

Yes, he was on the sidelines. He is still suspended this week.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-03-2018, 01:39 PM
On punting, he was only short on 1/3 punts (33 yards) and averaged a respectable 41. One kick was downed inside the 20, if that was his short kick then you can forgive that. I don't see any evidence he'll be lacking this year, though he'll obviously not be as good as Cook.

Agreed on the defense. The DL is great, but there's always a few plays where they don't get home and you need the secondary to stay solid. Our CBs showed poor ball skills and that needs to improve. the zone also had a few soft spots.

I disagree that KState will tell us a huge amount. Of course an other game will give us twice the info as one does, but KState was so bad last week we really don't know what to make of our performance good or bad

HoopsDawg
09-03-2018, 01:45 PM
On punting, he was only short on 1/3 punts (33 yards) and averaged a respectable 41. One kick was downed inside the 20, if that was his short kick then you can forgive that. I don't see any evidence he'll be lacking this year, though he'll obviously not be as good as Cook.

Agreed on the defense. The DL is great, but there's always a few plays where they don't get home and you need the secondary to stay solid. Our CBs showed poor ball skills and that needs to improve. the zone also had a few soft spots.

I disagree that KState will tell us a huge amount. Of course an other game will give us twice the info as one does, but KState was so bad last week we really don't know what to make of our performance good or bad

Yes, but on the other 2 punts they landed very short and bounced forward. IMO, he was lucky to average 41 yards as they weren't true carry.

I disagree on KSU. If we win by 20+, I think we can safely say we are a very good football team. Everyone likes to mention that they lost to Vandy last year, but don't forget they only lost by 7 to OU. And Baker Mayfield played almost flawless in that game to get the win. They also beat Okie State on the road who was ranked in the Top 15. Synder's brand of football can lead to some close games with subpar teams.

1bigdawg
09-04-2018, 09:54 AM
1. It appears Daryl Williams is our backup center and will be our starter next year. Moorhead got him some reps at C. Also got D. Parker some reps in the first quarter at G and Tyree Phillips got a lot of reps. Very smart move in case someone gets injured.

Champion and Suggs did not play. We basically emptied the bench at every other position, yet two that I thought we might count on for depth never saw the field. We also did not play the two freshmen OLs. This seems a little odd for a group that does not appear to have much depth.

msstate7
09-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Jones is a really big loss for OM