PDA

View Full Version : The Metal Detectors

Spiderman
09-03-2018, 09:39 AM
worst thing ever. It will be a complete, unnecessary disaster at the Fla. game and other big games.

It's becoming a lot easier for Joe Fan to stay home, drink without worrying about driving, sleeping in on Saturday and watching all the games on his big screen anyway.

Now just another thing to make him think about staying home.

They should be making it more enjoyable. Not more miserable to go to a game.

Got in line an hour before kickoff, didn't get to seat until 20 mins to game time. Nobody want to have to stand in a line an hour before the game. Leaving the tailgate and hour and 15 mins before the game just so you can be in a seat by kickoff is not the way to try to compete with the couch and a big screen.

I used to get to the gate 15-20 mins before kickoff and were in my seats 5 mins later.

And don't give me that safety crap. There are more than enough cops in that stadium. Instead of letting them all in for free and letting them hang out in the endzone and sidelines,, have them walk the stands and patrol the concourses.

If something happened in the stands it would take them 5 mins to get there as it is now.

If not, make them buy a damn ticket also and sit in the stands.

Between tailgate, BC donation, and tickets, it's running about 15 grand a year right now. Very tempted to say screw it, for 15 grand you shouldn't have to deal with that crap.

sleepy dawg
09-03-2018, 09:48 AM
I agree 100%. I made a thread about this yesterday though and got raked over the coals for complaining about it.

Bass Chaser
09-03-2018, 11:22 AM
We had no issues getting in by entering the mid section on the West side. Now one of our friends entered the Northwest entrance and it took them 40 minutes to get in.

By 2020 every stadium in the SEC will have them because it's mandated.

gravedigger
09-03-2018, 11:38 AM
And don't give me that safety crap. There are more than enough cops in that stadium. Instead of letting them all in for free and letting them hang out in the endzone and sidelines,, have them walk the stands and patrol the concourses.

If something happened in the stands it would take them 5 mins to get there as it is now.

So the way to deal with a disaster like a shooter is to let them in and deal with them after they start killing?

This isnt about marketing or competing with a couch. I prefer to stay at home myself because even at 51, my knees are barely good enough to make the walk both ways. This is about the inconvenience of living in a modern world. One where last minute decisions just dont fit with the infrastructure.

My old boss said it best........Everyone wants to go to heaven; nobody wants to die.

Spiderman
09-03-2018, 01:21 PM
So the way to deal with a disaster like a shooter is to let them in and deal with them after they start killing?

This isnt about marketing or competing with a couch. I prefer to stay at home myself because even at 51, my knees are barely good enough to make the walk both ways. This is about the inconvenience of living in a modern world. One where last minute decisions just dont fit with the infrastructure.

My old boss said it best........Everyone wants to go to heaven; nobody wants to die.

No, all that would happen now if a wack job wants to start shooting he will do it while a mob of people are waiting in a 40 minute line.

That why it's stupid. What next, metal detectors as you leave the parking lot?

You can't stop crazy

ScoobaDawg
09-03-2018, 03:28 PM
worst thing ever. It will be a complete, unnecessary disaster at the Fla. game and other big games.

It's becoming a lot easier for Joe Fan to stay home, drink without worrying about driving, sleeping in on Saturday and watching all the games on his big screen anyway.

Now just another thing to make him think about staying home.

They should be making it more enjoyable. Not more miserable to go to a game.

Got in line an hour before kickoff, didn't get to seat until 20 mins to game time. Nobody want to have to stand in a line an hour before the game. Leaving the tailgate and hour and 15 mins before the game just so you can be in a seat by kickoff is not the way to try to compete with the couch and a big screen.

I used to get to the gate 15-20 mins before kickoff and were in my seats 5 mins later.

If not, make them buy a damn ticket also and sit in the stands.

Between tailgate, BC donation, and tickets, it's running about 15 grand a year right now. Very tempted to say screw it, for 15 grand you shouldn't have to deal with that crap.

Dramatic much? You clearly just proved you only need 40 minutes to get through security?
And Yea. I would prefer the school keep the stadium safe instead of those "worthless" cops having to respond to an incident where someone(s) get killed. And maybe you should go shake one of those cops hands hands and say thank you instead to instead of b!tching about them on here.

Learn to deal with it, times have changed. It's coming to everyone in the SEC if not all of NCAA. Imagine that MSU being one of the first instead of the last. I'm sorry your inconvenienced so others can be safe.

Spiderman
09-03-2018, 04:46 PM
Dramatic much? You clearly just proved you only need 40 minutes to get through security?
And Yea. I would prefer the school keep the stadium safe instead of those "worthless" cops having to respond to an incident where someone(s) get killed. And maybe you should go shake one of those cops hands hands and say thank you instead to instead of b!tching about them on here.

Learn to deal with it, times have changed. It's coming to everyone in the SEC if not all of NCAA. Imagine that MSU being one of the first instead of the last. I'm sorry your inconvenienced so others can be safe.

How safe do you feel at the tailgate? And standing in that line waiting to get in? Nobody is "protecting" and "Keeping you Safe" then.

It's bullshit.

And yes, waiting 40 minutes to clear security is bullshit to go to a game.

as far as the cops, I didn't call them worthless. Years ago I worked as a cop and am friends with those that WERE in it at that time, and others now. I said it would be better for all the ones that are there to provide security should be patrolling the stands and campus instead of standing in the endzone.

Little secret, my friend, those metal detectors are there only to cover the university's ass in case something happens and to make people like you think the are being "kept safe".

Again, if a wacko was planning on shooting up the crowd, now he will just do it when they are jammed 1,000 deep trying to go thru those sheep chutes that will "keep them safe."

YOU CAN NOT STOP INSANITY, NO MATTER HOW MANY RULES YOU MAKE.

Liverpooldawg
09-03-2018, 05:57 PM
It took me 5 minutes.

PassInterference
09-03-2018, 06:06 PM
I went to the gate 1hr 15 early instead of my usual 45 early. It took 5-10 minutes longer than usual. There were only about 10 people in front of me. Gate 1 I think...the endzone gate closest to The Junction.

I think this is all no big deal as long as everybody doesn't show up at once.

Spiderman
09-03-2018, 06:17 PM
I went to the gate 1hr 15 early instead of my usual 45 early. It took 5-10 minutes longer than usual. There were only about 10 people in front of me. Gate 1 I think...the endzone gate closest to The Junction.

I think this is all no big deal as long as everybody doesn't show up at once.

Most folks I know have no desire to get to gate 1hr and 15 mins before the game. Nor should they have to just to avoid an unnecessary long wait if they show up 20 mins before.

The main point being, it's another hassle that makes going to games more unattractive than staying home to watch.

RocketDawg
09-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Most folks I know have no desire to get to gate 1hr and 15 mins before the game. Nor should they have to just to avoid an unnecessary long wait if they show up 20 mins before.

The main point being, it's another hassle that makes going to games more unattractive than staying home to watch.

Our issues will be nothing compared to twice as many people at the upcoming Alabama game. MSU and Alabama are the only SEC schools doing it this year ... maybe it's to compare fairly small crowds with huge crowds.

Liverpooldawg
09-03-2018, 07:03 PM

You can complain all you want. This is NOT going away. Your options are to make the best of it or stay home.

Spiderman
09-03-2018, 07:10 PM
You can complain all you want. This is NOT going away. Your options are to make the best of it or stay home.

100% correct. And some will stay home, by listening the the bitching of the folks in line and that sat around me. especially the ones with smaller kids

FanninDawg
09-03-2018, 09:24 PM
It took me 40 minutes to get in at the NE gate. It stretched all the way to the west side by the time I made it in the stadium. They’ve got to get better at it.

sandwolf
09-03-2018, 11:31 PM
Again, if a wacko was planning on shooting up the crowd, now he will just do it when they are jammed 1,000 deep trying to go thru those sheep chutes that will "keep them safe."

If anyone has a valid counter to this argument, I sure would like to hear it.

TimberBeast
09-03-2018, 11:40 PM
If anyone has a valid counter to this argument, I sure would like to hear it.

They don’t have a counter to this argument, it’s not possible to counter it. It’s very telling that no one has responded to it.

starkvegasdawg
09-04-2018, 02:51 AM
They don’t have a counter to this argument, it’s not possible to counter it. It’s very telling that no one has responded to it.

Correct. And how about dawg walk? The area to do something is outside the stadium...especially if you wanted to try and escape afterwards.

Lord McBuckethead
09-04-2018, 09:32 AM
All they have to do is have 2 to 3 times as many metal detectors.

My question is, enhanced carry folks. Do the police hold their weapon while they are in the game?**

gravedigger
09-04-2018, 09:38 AM

Sure there is a counter. Fact is that police who are designated as security at a game have a right to know who else are carrying weapons. That means you here has to be a way to identify them.

This is a byproduct of people wanting to carry weapons plain and simple. It is certainly a right to carry. It?s also a right of events to screen people however they see fit to protect non carrying patrons.

Seems the special snowflakes who want the right to carry are making it necessary.

Jack Lambert
09-04-2018, 09:51 AM
How safe do you feel at the tailgate? And standing in that line waiting to get in? Nobody is "protecting" and "Keeping you Safe" then.

It's bullshit.

And yes, waiting 40 minutes to clear security is bullshit to go to a game.

as far as the cops, I didn't call them worthless. Years ago I worked as a cop and am friends with those that WERE in it at that time, and others now. I said it would be better for all the ones that are there to provide security should be patrolling the stands and campus instead of standing in the endzone.

Little secret, my friend, those metal detectors are there only to cover the university's ass in case something happens and to make people like you think the are being "kept safe".

YOU CAN NOT STOP INSANITY, NO MATTER HOW MANY RULES YOU MAKE.

My biggest question is, When was the last time someone got shot at a football game at Miss State? Hell when was the last time someone got shot at a SEC football game? Is this really needed. Terrorist, guns and crazies have been around for ever.

Spiderman
09-04-2018, 10:27 AM
My biggest question is, When was the last time someone got shot at a football game at Miss State? Hell when was the last time someone got shot at a SEC football game? Is this really needed. Terrorist, guns and crazies have been around for ever.

Exactly, but it could happen. Am I worried about it or losing sleep over it? Hell no. Never even enters my mind because I know there is not one single thing I, or anybody, can do to prevent it. Only thing i can do is be fortunate enough not to get shot, and return fire if I'm able to.

The real reason for the metal detectors is the safety of the game officials , and to a lesser degree the players. That is all. Not for the crowd. They know they can't protect 65,000 people wandering around a campus as large as ours.

Ever been to the Grove? You could literally be Stevie Wonder and open fire and hit somebody with every shot. 50,000 people crammed into basically my backyard. They gonna put detectors up in the grove? Hell no.

Nothing I can do about it but bitch, but it's a stupid ,unnecessary rule. Like most are

fishwater99
09-04-2018, 10:58 AM
I guess you never fly commercial?

Spiderman
09-04-2018, 12:50 PM
I guess you never fly commercial?

If you don't see the difference in an airplane and a football stadium, especially after 9/11, I'm not gonna waste time arguing with you.

I can't use the stadium as a weapon of mass destruction, or take all 65,000 in it to a location away from where they want to go, or hold them hostage.

gravedigger
09-04-2018, 02:20 PM
If you don't see the difference in an airplane and a football stadium, especially after 9/11, I'm not gonna waste time arguing with you.

I can't use the stadium as a weapon of mass destruction, or take all 65,000 in it to a location away from where they want to go, or hold them hostage.

Are you that dense? Or just that married to the failed argument of being inconvenienced?

It?s an event. That requires a ticket and being complicit to whatever security search they choose.

You chose. Ergo you were complicit

sleepy dawg
09-04-2018, 03:52 PM
Are you that dense? Or just that married to the failed argument of being inconvenienced?

It?s an event. That requires a ticket and being complicit to whatever security search they choose.

You chose. Ergo you were complicit

It is a drastically unnecessary inconvenience. It's not a failed argument just b/c many of you enjoy unnecessary inconveniences in exchange for a false sense of security.

Sure the school/ncaa/conference/law can dictate all kinds of new restrictions and security. It's their event. That in and of itself has nothing to do with it being necessary or a good idea.

Mimi's Babies
09-04-2018, 04:02 PM
The Metal Detectors is a play book controlled by the SEC Office.....

MSU and Bama have installed the detectors.... so get ready they are here to stay...

Your constitutional rights are being taken away from you, one at a time.....

#HAILSTATE....

Leeshouldveflanked
09-04-2018, 04:05 PM
The Metal detectors are a SEC mandate.. if we want to remain a member of the SEC, we have to have metal detectors... we are doing it a year early to get the kinks out... go to a Memphis Grizzlies or Tennessee Titans game, you have to go thru a metal detector.

Liverpooldawg
09-04-2018, 05:26 PM
The Metal detectors are a SEC mandate.. if we want to remain a member of the SEC, we have to have metal detectors... we are doing it a year early to get the kinks out... go to a Memphis Grizzlies or Tennessee Titans game, you have to go thru a metal detector.

Nashville Predators and MSU basketball as well.

Spiderman
09-04-2018, 06:44 PM
It is a drastically unnecessary inconvenience. It's not a failed argument just b/c many of you enjoy unnecessary inconveniences in exchange for a false sense of security.

Sure the school/ncaa/conference/law can dictate all kinds of new restrictions and security. It's their event. That in and of itself has nothing to do with it being necessary or a good idea.

Very,very well said. Especially the "just b/c many of you enjoy unnecessary inconveniences in exchange for a false sense of security."