PDA

View Full Version : Overreaction to Week 1 SEC West Power Rankings

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2018, 09:18 AM
Ok, we are through week 1 and now know a little bit more about each SEC West team than we knew before. I do urge you to realize that we only know a little bit more, not a lot more. History has shown us that week 1 can be a mirage (Kenny Hill), Ohio State/VT. Coaches don't have film yet or know how to attack other teams. You could argue that week 1 about who is more prepared rather than who is better.

That being said, off the cuff, the SEC West appears to be an absolute bear this year and potentially better than any other CONFERENCE. From what I saw this weekend, other conferences look like trash compared to the SEC. Absolutley ridiculous how big the gap is right now. IMO, this could be another 2 SEC teams in the playoff type year.

Here's my best guess:

1. Bama - They looked awesome. Basically the same except Tua is significantly better at distributing the ball than Hurts. I don't love Tua as an NFL guy due to his size and what I see as very average to fair arm strength. That being said though, he has great vision and finds the open guy.

Weakness: Tua is small and may get hurt. Also, with Bama throwing more, I'm curious how their identity will evolve. It's a long time till MSU plays them, so who knows what things will look like.

2. Auburn - Washington is a good team. Auburn's defense is real and Stidham is accurate.

Weakness: Auburn's defense is good but not at Bama's level IMO. Also, their OL looked average and they don't have the NFL caliber running back they've had for so many years. Additionally, Stidham is a slow decision maker. I think elite DLs will give them trouble. I could see Auburn getting very one demensional. The last time they lacked an NFL caliber back was 2014, but they had Nick Marshall to also run with zone reads. Stidham is not Nick Marshall on the ground.

3. MSU - We've talked about it. Don't know much due to playing a bad team and Fitz being out.

4. LSU - Auburn without an above average QB. Burrow is slap average if not a little below average and LSU, like Auburn, doesn't have the NFL RB they normally have. Against good DLs, they'll struggle to move the ball. LSU is LSU on defense and in the trenches though. It'll be a tough game. Miami is one of the more overrated teams we've seen in years. Not to mention Eddie O used all 3 time outs in the 1st quarter. That staff is awful but we don't want LSU to tank because we need O and Alleva there for a few more years so that the program erodes.

5. Texas A&M - Looked like the same team to me as they've been. We'll know more after they play Clemson. They didn't look all that dynamic to me without Kirk.

6. Ole Miss - Has a team ever been so lucky in knocking out QBs? They don't waste time either. 1st quarter both times. That being said, they can score and Tua'amu is good in the pocket and throwing the deep ball. Scottie Phillips is ok, but Ole Miss still can't run the ball in short yardage and red zone situations, and the defense will be putrid. I just don't see how their defense takes a step forward with the talent they are relying on over there. Why don't DCs just play a soft shell on them, make them nickle and dime it down the field, and then execute in the red zone. The fact that teams still give up so many long passes to them is baffling to me.

7. Arkansas - I have no clue.

TUSK
09-03-2018, 09:39 AM
small correction 'Gun: Tua (6-1, 218) doesn't look as big as Hurts (6-2, 218) because Hurts is a power lifter and it makes him look a lot bigger.... I think....

RE: "arm strength" is this a critique on velocity or distance? I think he does both pretty well, but I don't know NFL....

Dawg61
09-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Auburn calls the same 15 plays on offense all game and has done so since Gus showed up. SEC defenses should be able to call their plays in their sleep by now.

Leroy Jenkins
09-03-2018, 10:45 AM
small correction 'Gun: Tua (6-1, 218) doesn't look as big as Hurts (6-2, 218) because Hurts is a power lifter and it makes him look a lot bigger.... I think....

RE: "arm strength" is this a critique on velocity or distance? I think he does both pretty well, but I don't know NFL....

People don't understand that almost everyone's skeletons are the same size (outside of height). My 205lb body and Simmons 305lb body would be nearly indistinguishable in an XRay image.

You ever see a fat skeleton?

BrunswickDawg
09-03-2018, 10:51 AM
I think some are overvaluing LSUs game from last night. They only averaged 4.5 yards per play and their offense is ranked in the 110s after this game. 4 in the power rating is probably accurate - but they should probably be tied with A&M and it should be noted as a good sized gap between 3 & 4.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2018, 11:04 AM

I distinguish arm strength by the acceleration out of the hand.

Tua is a skinny ankle guy. He better be careful.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2018, 11:04 AM
I think some are overvaluing LSUs game from last night. They only averaged 4.5 yards per play and their offense is ranked in the 110s after this game. 4 in the power rating is probably accurate - but they should probably be tied with A&M and it should be noted as a good sized gap between 3 & 4.

Agree. They are physical and LSU on defense.

My biggest concern against them is our CBS being beat on jump balls.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2018, 11:06 AM
People don't understand that almost everyone's skeletons are the same size (outside of height). My 205lb body and Simmons 305lb body would be nearly indistinguishable in an XRay image.

People do have different frames though. Not sure how it medically works.

Mutt the Hoople
09-03-2018, 11:19 AM

https://i.imgur.com/E5BqHzs.png

msstate7
09-03-2018, 11:30 AM

Probably not fair to compare LSU offensive stats to other sec teams this weekend except for Auburn and bama bc of competition level. LSU had a big lead and just salted the clock away in the 2nd half. You don't think LSU would've put up 500 yards vs the garbage we, ark, and aTm faced? Pretty sure LSU would've ran it straight through TT also

TUSK
09-03-2018, 12:22 PM
I distinguish arm strength by the acceleration out of the hand.

Tua is a skinny ankle guy. He better be careful.

Body shamer!!!*

BrunswickDawg
09-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Probably not fair to compare LSU offensive stats to other sec teams this weekend except for Auburn and bama bc of competition level. LSU had a big lead and just salted the clock away in the 2nd half. You don't think LSU would've put up 500 yards vs the garbage we, ark, and aTm faced? Pretty sure LSU would've ran it straight through TT also
You may be right - but I didn't see anything in their offense that makes me think they get by Bama, AU, UGA, UF and MSUs defenses. But, pundits are falling all over themselves with LSU IS BACK!! proclamations. They can be improved over last year and still be a 5 loss team based on their schedule.

Bully13
09-03-2018, 12:25 PM
Every single year over reaction takes place after week 1 and 95% of the assessments are found to be wrong.

Every.

Single.

Year.

Yet we keep repeating and expecting something different.

msstate7
09-03-2018, 12:26 PM
You may be right - but I didn't see anything in their offense that makes me think they get by Bama, AU, UGA, UF and MSUs defenses. But, pundits are falling all over themselves with LSU IS BACK!! proclamations. They can be improved over last year and still be a 5 loss team based on their schedule.

They surprised me last night to be honest. I don't see them as a west threat, but a lot of that is schedule related. I think they finish 4th or 5th in West, but I won't be surprised if they beat any of the top 3 (state, auburn, and bama) in the west. Our trip to BR is gonna be tough... not unwinnable by any means, but it will be tough

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Every single year over reaction takes place after week 1 and 95% of the assessments are found to be wrong.

Every.

Single.

Year.

Completely agree.

It's a fun discussion though, while realizing it's BS

TrapGame
09-03-2018, 12:36 PM

Every.

Single.

Year.

I remember Texas A&M's opening game in 2014 when Kenny Hill looked like the second coming of JFF. They were already putting him on the Heisman list before game ended.

We all remember how that played out.

I'm watching the LSU/Miami repeat on SECN. It's late second half and Manny is putting 7-8 in the box almost every play. They still can't stop the run.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-03-2018, 12:54 PM
When it comes to us beating LSU, lets not forget that we play them after our bye and they play us after playing UF, OM, and UGA. They will be beaten up physically and mentally, and the home crowd will have lost some of its edge since the week before they were screaming their heads off trying in vain to help the team beat UGA. Either way though, LSU will either have the "big game hangover" after beating UGA, or they'll lose and feel dejected on top of the physical toil those games will bring.

They will be beaten, bruised, and exhausted, while we'll be healed up with extra time to game plan and fix flaws. It's probably a bigger advantage than their home crowd will be, and shouldn't be ignored when comparing the teams

Dawg61
09-03-2018, 03:28 PM
Only thing surprising about the LSU game was how dogshit awful Miami played. They looked like they all got hammered in Dallas till 8am on some Molly's and 25 beers a piece. Vanderbilt woulda beat that version of a Miami team last night.

BeardoMSU
09-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Only thing surprising about the LSU game was how dogshit awful Miami played. They looked like they all got hammered in Dallas till 8am on some Molly's and 25 beers a piece. Vanderbilt woulda beat that version of a Miami team last night.

It's true. They were awful. I'm curious what LSU does against a team with a pulse in the trenches. People have been raving about their QB, which is hilarious, since he was pretty mediocre to bad. I still feel good about that game. Their D is good, but that offense is still gash. We don't turn the ball over, play our game, and we win.

RocketDawg
09-03-2018, 05:53 PM

You mean my skeleton looks as good as, say, Halle Berry's? **

RocketDawg
09-03-2018, 05:54 PM
Did the Ole Miss QB (Patterson) play for Michigan against Notre Dame?

RocketDawg
09-03-2018, 05:56 PM

Way, way too PC.

HoustonButt
09-03-2018, 06:10 PM
Same song and dance as every year, they still won?t find a QB that can throw it more than 15 yards. Last night was more about Richt not showing up in big games than it was Coach O finally figuring out the QB position.

Leroy Jenkins
09-03-2018, 06:13 PM

I really hope you don't think that is real..... The pelvic tilt, and the tibia/fibula merge at the ankle, suggest this thing walks on all fours a lot. Also, most chicks can't scratch their kneecaps without bending at the waist.

You mean my skeleton looks as good as, say, Halle Berry's? **

If you are female, without a physical abnormality, yes.

RocketDawg
09-03-2018, 06:23 PM
I really hope you don't think that is real..... The pelvic tilt, and the tibia/fibula merge at the ankle, suggest this thing walks on all fours a lot. Also, most chicks can't scratch their kneecaps without bending at the waist.

The text says it's a gorilla skeleton with a human head.

RocketDawg
09-03-2018, 06:23 PM

Well, so much for fantasies then ....

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Did the Ole Miss QB (Patterson) play for Michigan against Notre Dame?

Yes and he sucked.

Only Ole Miss could be so lucky as to have the #1 high school QB in the country tear his ACL and replace him with a better player that no one recruited. Amazing

BeardoMSU
09-03-2018, 06:32 PM

Speaking of female abnormalities**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur3JKxaUvUc

TrapGame
09-03-2018, 06:37 PM
Yes and he sucked.

Only Ole Miss could be so lucky as to have the #1 high school QB in the country tear his ACL and replace him with a better player that no one recruited. Amazing

Whoa, hold up Gun. Let's see 5-0 against a better D than Texas Tech's. And it really helps 5-0 to have a targets like Lodge, Brown and Metcalf.

Leroy Jenkins
09-03-2018, 06:39 PM

The writing of Kevin Smith is greatly underappreciated.

BeardoMSU
09-03-2018, 07:16 PM

I couldn't agree more; the Randal character, in particular, is one of my favorite ever. He's borderline 'power-animal' for me.

RocketDawg
09-03-2018, 07:30 PM
Yes and he sucked.

A Big 10 analyst got suspended indefinitely for being highly critical of Michigan's play. Patterson was one of the players ... said he looked scared. Harbaugh did not like. The guy had a point though ... said they were 0-17 against ranked opponents.

Dawg61
09-03-2018, 08:26 PM
Michigan is 0-17 on the road vs ranked opponents under Harbaugh. He's got a couple wins at home but it's still a god awful record vs ranked opponents. It's not as bad as Mullen's though which is the worst record all-time vs ranked opponents.

RocketDawg
09-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Michigan is 0-17 on the road vs ranked opponents under Harbaugh. He's got a couple wins at home but it's still a god awful record vs ranked opponents. It's not as bad as Mullen's though which is the worst record all-time vs ranked opponents.

0-17 is terrible. Harbaugh was supposed to be the second coming when he was hired.

What was Mullen's record? LSU was ranked, I think top 10, when we beat them in '14. Of course they're going to drop after we beat them (usually it means their coach gets fired after getting beat by us), but I think the record should be "ranked at the time".

TUSK
09-03-2018, 09:31 PM
0-17 is terrible. Harbaugh was supposed to be the second coming when he was hired.

What was Mullen's record? LSU was ranked, I think top 10, when we beat them in '14. Of course they're going to drop after we beat them (usually it means their coach gets fired after getting beat by us), but I think the record should be "ranked at the time".

Iirc, it was 2-20 something. #22 AU 8-5 & #? LSU 8-5, I think. I only go by final rankings, of course.

RocketDawg
09-03-2018, 09:43 PM
Iirc, it was 2-20 something. #22 AU 8-5 & #? LSU 8-5, I think. I only go by final rankings, of course.

Yes, but you can afford to. When Alabama beats somebody, they could very well go UP in the rankings. If we beat somebody, it means they're crappy and were way over-ranked. **

Bully13
09-03-2018, 10:22 PM

oops

Bully13
09-03-2018, 10:23 PM

34's Ex?

Dawg61
09-03-2018, 11:12 PM

Nobody really knows his record but the national media stated it as the worst all-time. The issue with it is some teams fall out later in the season that he beat and some that he beat weren't ranked at the time and ended up ranked later. It's kinda a shitty stat. If they are ranked when you beat them it should count imo.

sandwolf
09-03-2018, 11:50 PM
Nobody really knows his record but the national media stated it as the worst all-time. The issue with it is some teams fall out later in the season that he beat and some that he beat weren't ranked at the time and ended up ranked later. It's kinda a shitty stat. If they are ranked when you beat them it should count imo.

Agreed, it's a shitty stat...especially when you go by end of year ranking. If you beat a lower ranked top 25 team towards the end of the year and knock them out of the rankings, you don't get credit for the win.....but if that same team beats you, then you get hit with a loss. That's stupid.

Activated Alpha
09-04-2018, 12:51 AM
Michigan isn't happy with Harbaugh. Trust me, we all thought he could bring us back to a high competitive level, but another average year and his seat is HOT.

TUSK
09-04-2018, 01:41 AM
Michigan isn't happy with Harbaugh. Trust me, we all thought he could bring us back to a high competitive level, but another average year and his seat is HOT.

What are the odds that IF Michigan loses: @ND, vs Wisky, @MSU, vs PSU, @OSU and finishes 7-5 that Harbaugh is fired?

TimberBeast
09-04-2018, 03:18 AM
It's true. They were awful. I'm curious what LSU does against a team with a pulse in the trenches. People have been raving about their QB, which is hilarious, since he was pretty mediocre to bad. I still feel good about that game. Their D is good, but that offense is still gash. We don't turn the ball over, play our game, and we win.

Miami looked bad but LSU looked decent, I?m worried about it.

msstate7
09-04-2018, 07:22 AM
Get on the same page... the only reason any of our opponents looked good is bc the opponent sucked

TrapGame
09-04-2018, 08:01 AM
Get on the same page... the only reason any of our opponents looked good is bc the opponent sucked

7 do you really think Miami looked like a top 10 team? How do you think we would have looked against them?

msstate7
09-04-2018, 08:10 AM
7 do you really think Miami looked like a top 10 team? How do you think we would have looked against them?

No, I don't think they looked like a top 10 team. I'm not sure we wanted key throwing the ball vs Miami though. Key, as much I like him, looked pretty pitiful vs an FCS team. I think we most likely would've beaten em, but our passing game would've been non existent

TrapGame
09-04-2018, 08:32 AM
No, I don't think they looked like a top 10 team. I'm not sure we wanted key throwing the ball vs Miami though. Key, as much I like him, looked pretty pitiful vs an FCS team. I think we most likely would've beaten em, but our passing game would've been non existent

My bad. I should have phrased the question with Fitz playing as QB. I think LSU is a good SEC West team but they are not the formidable foe they once were.

msstate7
09-04-2018, 08:36 AM
My bad. I should have phrased the question with Fitz playing as QB. I think LSU is a good SEC West team but they are not the formidable foe they once were.

Fitz would've had his way between the tackles... well assuming post injury fitz is still as good a runner as pre injury fitz. I think he will be

1bigdawg
09-04-2018, 10:13 AM
Burrow does not have a great arm, but I thought he made a lot of good decisions. That's important in a QB.

TrapGame
09-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Burrow does not have a great arm, but I thought he made a lot of good decisions. That's important in a QB.

He read the Miami defense pretty well. You can tell he's a coach's kid. However, he ain't no Mettenburger. I doubt he'll be much better than Etling.

Dawg61
09-04-2018, 11:28 AM
He read the Miami defense pretty well. You can tell he's a coach's kid. However, he ain't no Mettenburger. I doubt he'll be much better than Etling.

Etling got drafted by the Patriots and is Brady's backup. Burrow is no Etling.

yjnkdawg
09-04-2018, 12:40 PM

I'm glad Coach JoeMo. our other coaches, and our players don't have this mindset. Their mindset right now is that they can beat any team we play.

TrapGame
09-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Ealing got drafted by the Patriots and is Brady's backup. Burrow is no Etling.

Good point. I don't think Burrow has Etling's upside.