PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on the Stephen F Austin Game

Todd4State
09-02-2018, 04:07 PM
MVP- The girl sitting in front of me wearing the white shirt during the rain storm. Thank you. And I love you.

I kind of like the FCS opponents because it's usually a win and I get to see a lot of guys play. I think it's cool to see guys like Logan Burnett play who work hard and get a chance to see some game action. That said, why did we go away from playing the in state SWAC teams? To me, it's a lot more fun and beneficial for the state of Mississippi if we play JSU, Alcorn, and Valley. And yes, I know Valley has major scholarship issues, but FSU played someone that turned out to not count towards bowl eligibility and they still got in meaning that the NCAA doesn't look too closely at that kind of thing. I bet if you asked our players if they would rather play Stephen F Austin, Abeline Christian...or Jackson State I have a feeling that they would choose JSU. Playing the in state SWAC schools would help our guys focus on the game a little more which makes it easier on the coaches a little bit.

I know people are worried and thinking that we're a seven win team now if you are a chicken little MSU fan- "WE'VE SEEN THIS BEFAH! WE'RE OVERHYPED!" Were there issues? Yes. And most of them are solved by starting Nick Fitzgerald. He plays and we have a good day passing, the o-line looks better, and the receivers look better. Then the only other possible concern is Jamal Peters- and he needs to learn how to play zone coverage, not cramp up, and get off of his phone. That and Leo Lewis learning when to go on the field- preferably WITH a helmet on his head. Now I'm pretty disappointed with Nick. College kids these days think that smoking pot is no big deal because there is a good chance it will be legalized in our lifetime. That said, that day is not today and it's still illegal and against the rules. With Nick being out, I think it hurt us from an early perception standpoint. Which is what helps create momentum as the season goes on from the press. Fortunately with Nick that's the only damage caused and now it is time to forgive and move forward. Ole Miss is really good at creating this type of momentum. We typically are not. Now that said, I was pleased with how Joe handled the game and the play calling. In a normal situation we're going to have our QB and it's going to be even better and we will be better at creating that kind of momentum early.

The other thing is we have heard from Penn State people that it takes about 4-5 games to adjust to Moorhead's offense so I think it's pretty reasonable to believe that it will only get better. Trace McSorley in Penn State's first game under Joe against Kent State- 16-31 for 209 yards. Food for thought. Also we scored 63 points while only creating one turnover on defense and we did not turn the ball over ourselves.

On defense we created 17 TFL's. That has to be a school record. Hopefully the turnovers will start to come. The defense is going to be even better with the first string guys playing more than 1/2 the game. On Leo and Jamal- I'd tell them to straighten up or they are going to start sitting. I think Leo will figure out the substitution issue. And with Jamal Tyler Williams looked pretty solid so I'm fine going with him if we have to.

The special teams group looked the best of all three units. It would have been perfect had Christmann made his field goal. Still made all the extra points though. I thought Day looked good and he had at least one punt inside the 20. Mixon was very good on returns as well.

MIA- Malik Dear? Marcus Murphy? I didn't notice either one.

Pleasant surprises- Osirius Mitchell and Dontae Jones. I'd like to see Dontae play more. He's an incredible athlete.

Pit Bull
09-02-2018, 04:36 PM
I was REALLY surprised to see Brad Cumbest lining up in the slot position in the 4th quarter. I had to rub my eyes to make sure I was seeing that right. If he can really handle the slot......talk about a future mismatch.....OMG!!!

shoeless joe
09-02-2018, 04:38 PM
Marcus started on kickoff and was back Deep on kick returns. Don't recall him getting it kicked to him.

I don't think the stats off anybody will play into perception. We've more than discussed how media folks don't pay much attention to the details of anything. All they'll see is the final and see that we did what we were supposed to do. Do it again next week and it will mean a little more.

Bully13
09-02-2018, 05:07 PM
too lazy to look it up right now. who was that TE that made the 1 handed grab for the TD? hell of a grab.

justwin
09-02-2018, 05:11 PM
I like playing the instate schools too. I noticed that were some Mississippi kids playing on SFU including a kid from Starkville which was good to see. Yeah, USM always manages to screw it up, but, for the most part I like seeing JSU with kids like Tobias Singleton get throttled when they play MSU.

The first offensive play of the Joe Moorhead era goes for 6! I cannot believe it. The very first offensive play goes for 6. Incredible. We had heard about the top 5 offensive guys that the coaches internally designate & then feature so, to me, the coaches collectively agree that Kylin is our most explosive player and he played the entire 1Q geting the first touch of the season. Kylin scored 2 touchdowns so his confidence will only grow. I'm so excited that we have a RB coach who knows how to feature a RB.

8 of the 14 SEC schools played very small teams yesterday including us. I'd say we were the most impressive of that 8 considering that Keytaeon currently leads the SEC in passing yds & tds. He did what you're supposed to see and padded the stats.

Our D is as advertised. Peters & Cam could've combined for 5 picks yesterday if just use 2 hands and catch it. Get on them Buck or go grab Getsy to teach them to catch. The 11 that started & played first 2 series are our 11 best. no debate really. Just nice to see.

Austin Williams first career catch was on 3rd & 20 and picked off the turf, just an outstanding play. I cannot believe that we have Austin & Osirus for the next 3 years. Those two are incredibly sure handed, dive, stretch, compete, we are very fortunate. I expect Austin to get ~80% of the snaps going forward as he should. Deddrick subbed in late 2Q & early 3Q and think his size stalled those drives with the overthrows. I think Austin's catch radius gets to those that Deddrick couldn't. We need to feed Austin now heavily over next 4 games b/c he can be a difference maker starting week 5 - 10. Mixon & Deddrick are probably going to be best used on the flats and quick poppers. Dontae Jones whiff blocks on a screen to Mixon that made the TD saving tackle.

Beast! Dontae Jones TD catch. Incredible. That was freaky. Justin, Dontae & Farrod all had nice catches.

Didn't realize that Sweat had 2 sacks now leading SEC.

Leo looked good, confident, tough.

13/31 for Key. I bet at least 20 of those were downfield shots of 25 - 50 yard passes. He's probably never thrown 20+ passes downfield in one game in his life. He's going to learn alot from the tape. Alot. Guidry's got to get his ahead around on that jailbreak blitz to easily score that one long one too.

Greg Eiland continues to get better. Come on big boy.

It's kind of weird watching Auburn with no bellcow RB. Washington self destructed 2H.

The Bama WRs aren't doing Jalen any favors.

I'm dead serious when I say this. Tua is running too much & that dude really needs to watch his ankles in two weeks in Oxford. He's too small to be wiggling around like that & he's going to get hit a little bit when the SEC starts. If & when an OM defender gets into his legs like Tua's first scramble & jump pass td yesterday vs Lville, they going to break every bone in his lower extremities. Luke & his coaches have about 10 different leg whip, grab roll break; twist & fake fall maneveurs they're coaching those guys up there with to cheat & break bones. The ankle break is the defense that can stop any offense ~ McGriff.

Gotta like going into week 2 with Fitz coming back & K-State apparently struggling. Does anyone think USC or KY have a chance next weekend otherwise bunch more yawners? Every game in the SEC & next week nationally blows.

Bass Chaser
09-02-2018, 05:16 PM
too lazy to look it up right now. who was that TE that made the 1 handed grab for the TD? hell of a grab.

Dontae Jones

Jack Lambert
09-02-2018, 05:28 PM
I have no complaints about the game. There was only one blown coverage that allowed a big passing gain. The other few was just perfect throws by the QB. I don't understand State fans. I guess they were up set because we didn't have a shut out or maybe because we punted a few times in the third quarter. I think State was just working on the passing game. It was a beat down and a hell of a win.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-02-2018, 05:42 PM
I was REALLY surprised to see Brad Cumbest lining up in the slot position in the 4th quarter. I had to rub my eyes to make sure I was seeing that right. If he can really handle the slot......talk about a future mismatch.....OMG!!!

Cumbest was playing TE not Slot. They were running 2x2 so he was in the slot in those formations but not playing Slot. Cason Grant was playing Slot.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-02-2018, 05:43 PM
Dontae Jones

He fits this offense like a glove.

Saltydog
09-02-2018, 07:59 PM
but can't remember what for.

Liverpooldawg
09-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Justwin and Todd I agree. If we are going to play that level of opponent then make it Valley, Alcorn, or JSU. We at least we get an AWESOME halftime show out of the deal, and the check stays in state.

Bubb Rubb
09-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Fitzgerald wasn't suspended for smoking weed. People shouldn't just leap to that assumption.

fader2103
09-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Why hasn't anyone asked for pics of said girl in white shirt?

BulldogBear
09-03-2018, 08:23 AM

He didn't want phone to get wet.

Or didn't want to have to load ED again.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-03-2018, 10:24 AM

Rumor is it was Bully13's blonde.