PDA

View Full Version : Jo Mo seems to be a bit more of a psychologist with players than we have had ...

IMissJack
09-02-2018, 09:28 AM
in the past. He builds up players when he needs to . I noticed on one of the lead ins they showed us practicing in the Palmeiro center, and he pulled aside (I think) Osirus Mitchell and told him he was having a great camp, but he wanted to see him more happy and a glass half full attitude (paraphrased). Some players and regular people respond better to this type of treatment, rather than being afraid to fail. It seems this staff is big on praise, but instruction when necessary.

gravedigger
09-02-2018, 09:33 AM
in the past. He builds up players when he needs to . I noticed on one of the lead ins they showed us practicing in the Palmeiro center, and he pulled aside (I think) Osirus Mitchell and told him he was having a great camp, but he wanted to see him more happy and a glass half full attitude (paraphrased). Some players and regular people respond better to this type of treatment, rather than being afraid to fail. It seems this staff is big on praise, but instruction when necessary.

Correct. Discipline and motivation are not ?one size fits all?. The best leaders know their people well enough to tailor it to situations.

TXDawg
09-02-2018, 11:53 AM
I agree that Moorhead has a different coaching style. My issue with last night was his apparent lack of concern regarding the multiple stupid personal fouls we committed. I’m sure he’ll address it this week in game review, but I would’ve liked to have some fire on the sideline during the game.

IMissJack
09-02-2018, 12:23 PM
I agree that Moorhead has a different coaching style. My issue with last night was his apparent lack of concern regarding the multiple stupid personal fouls we committed. I’m sure he’ll address it this week in game review, but I would’ve liked to have some fire on the sideline during the game.

I don't think it is Coach Moorhead's style to be an in the face yelling type coach, not to say he can't get there if needed. But, I think there are a couple of other reason's too. 1) That game was the type that was not emotional at all for the players or coaches past the first 2 minutes. It was basically a practice. 2) Moorhead is actually either calling plays on offense, or looking at what needs to be changed or opportunities for the offense when the defense is out there. I'm sure it will be addressed in practice this week.

GreenheadDawg
09-02-2018, 12:28 PM

So It would have been better if he was yelling and cussing in the kid's face on live TV. The players know thats a dumb penalty and he may run their dicks off for it. Who knows but I'm sure he will address it.

Commercecomet24
09-02-2018, 12:41 PM
I've known plenty of successful coaches who don't show up players for stupid mistakes ingame, but the next practice you catch ever living hell. Trust me those coaches can be even more effective than the ones you see yelling and screaming ingame. Joe is a disciplinarian. I remember his first meeting with the team when he walked in some were slouching and some had hats on crooked. First thing he said was, I'm gonna turn around and when I turn back around you will be sitting up straight, hats on straight and paying attention. And the players did as instructed. Joe has a tight ship it's just done more in private than what we are used to.

TXDawg
09-02-2018, 01:04 PM
So It would have been better if he was yelling and cussing in the kid's face on live TV. The players know thats a dumb penalty and he may run their dicks off for it. Who knows but I'm sure he will address it.

Not sure which method is better. Just saying it’s different and will take some getting used to. I have no doubt that it will be addressed (Joe said as much in his post game press conference). Personally, I prefer a coach that shows a little more emotion on the sideline, though. Maybe it was there and the cameras didn’t pick it up...

yjnkdawg
09-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Not sure which method is better. Just saying it’s different and will take some getting used to. I have no doubt that it will be addressed (Joe said as much in his post game press conference). Personally, I prefer a coach that shows a little more emotion on the sideline, though. Maybe it was there and the cameras didn’t pick it up...

I had much rather have JoeMo's coaching philosophy than that coach who will eventually get lost in the FL swamp, or may get chewed up by a Gator.

hacker
09-02-2018, 02:07 PM
Hopefully he uses some of that psychology on Guidry this week.

preachermatt83
09-02-2018, 03:16 PM
When murphy got that 15 yarder Moorhead pulled him to the side and man to man quietly explained to him that that's not the way they are going to conduct themselves then patted him on the rear end. That's the way Moorhead does things. He treats them like men not like a dog they are chewing out.

Commercecomet24
09-02-2018, 03:19 PM
When murphy got that 15 yarder Moorhead pulled him to the side and man to man quietly explained to him that that's not the way they are going to conduct themselves then patted him on the rear end. That's the way Moorhead does things. He treats them like men not like a dog they are chewing out.

Exactly. You will get more out of people with this approach than dog cussing them. It's why Joe has been successful and well respected everywhere he's been. It will be no different here.

Todd4State
09-02-2018, 03:26 PM
If Joe was cussing our players out then we would have fans complaining about his language.