PDA

View Full Version : Key & the deep passing game

Dawg61
09-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Clearly it's the one aspect of the game we need to work on the most that's why we kept on working on it. We scored 4-5 tds cause of it. I'm thrilled Moorhead kept having Key & the receivers working on it despite everyone bitching about Key's completion %. We have been sorely lacking this part of an offensive attack since forever. We'll only get better at it from here on and we STILL scored 4-5 tds cause of it. We keep it up we'll attract WRs like Old Misses got and JoMo has already considerably increased our WR talent in only 9 months on the job. Osirus Mitchell is a legit deep threat and Guidry looks the part as well. Austin Williams had two terrific grabs.

IMissJack
09-02-2018, 07:28 AM
The thing I noted was that several deep passes were underthrown, even when completed. Mitchell's long TD in the first was behind him, but he was so open, he stopped, caught it, and was still able to score. A couple of other deep passes to open receivers would have been touchdowns if thrown out in front of them. But, that is why we play these games.

msstate7
09-02-2018, 07:32 AM
The thing I noted was that several deep passes were underthrown, even when completed. Mitchell's long TD in the first was behind him, but he was so open, he stopped, caught it, and was still able to score. A couple of other deep passes to open receivers would have been touchdowns if thrown out in front of them. But, that is why we play these games.

I was actually ok with the underthrow to Mitchell. He put some air under it and that allowed Mitchell to still get it. How many times have we seen fitz just completely overshoot a wide open WR by 15 yards? I hope fitz will put a little more air under the ball to guys when they are wide open like that.

IMissJack
09-02-2018, 07:38 AM
I was actually ok with the underthrow to Mitchell. He put some air under it and that allowed Mitchell to still get it. How many times have we seen fitz just completely overshoot a wide open WR by 15 yards? I hope fitz will put a little more air under the ball to guys when they are wide open like that.
Yeah, Fitz seems to throw a lower trajectory missile most of the time, rather than letting the ball fall from the sky to the receiver. Hopefully he has developed a little more touch.

I seen it dawg
09-02-2018, 08:03 AM
Clearly it's the one aspect of the game we need to work on the most that's why we kept on working on it. We scored 4-5 tds cause of it. I'm thrilled Moorhead kept having Key & the receivers working on it despite everyone bitching about Key's completion %. We have been sorely lacking this part of an offensive attack since forever. We'll only get better at it from here on and we STILL scored 4-5 tds cause of it. We keep it up we'll attract WRs like Old Misses got and JoMo has already considerably increased our WR talent in only 9 months on the job. Osirus Mitchell is a legit deep threat and Guidry looks the part as well. Austin Williams had two terrific grabs.

Biggest thing about this post to me is we kept working on it. In years past we would just muddle thru the game and just be so damn vanilla and never work on shit.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2018, 08:17 AM
I thought the deep passing game & some of the issues last night were a microcosm of why we need Moorhead's offense.

In Mullen's offense, we had to execute perfectly to score against good teams, but in Moorhead's offense we have some room for error because of the big play potential the deep pass provides.

The have less that perfect execution last night & still score 66 points IMO shows exactly what could be so special about this team & why it's so important that we continue to develop & put the deep passing on film

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2018, 08:18 AM
Biggest thing about this post to me is we kept working on it. In years past we would just muddle thru the game and just be so damn vanilla and never work on shit.

100% agree. Additionally, Moorhead is hell bent on making sure other teams respect it on film.

Everyone wants to RTGDF, & we will, but it might not happen till we are in a big game & the safeties are back because we are putting in the time now to make people respect our entire offense.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2018, 08:19 AM
Yeah, Fitz seems to throw a lower trajectory missile most of the time, rather than letting the ball fall from the sky to the receiver. Hopefully he has developed a little more touch.

Agree. On some of the twitter videos it appears that he has developed that part of his game.

thf24
09-02-2018, 08:26 AM
I complained about it in the game thread, but in hindsight I'm glad we stuck to throwing it to give Key the reps. Very impresssd that we still scored 66 despite practically using the game as a scrimmage.

eta: I'll say again though, last night made it obvious why Fitz is the unquestioned starter despite the circumstances.

MetEdDawg
09-02-2018, 08:31 AM
We were not vanilla last night on offense and I liked that. The team got reps in situations they are going to have to be successful in against more important teams.

Yes there is film on stuff we did. But I think now that the lid has been lifted on this offense it's going to be really hard to stop us. The thing I liked is that tight coverage is tight coverage and our WRs caught a few in tight coverage. The Austin williams catch across the middle for 8 years comes to mind. That's a drop so much under Mullen and Gonzo. Not last night. Few others that I liked as well.

Good luck to defenses stopping us. We have a lot of weapons, they are just young. And we are going to be very multiple on offense. We will be tough to stop.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2018, 08:36 AM
We were not vanilla last night on offense and I liked that. The team got reps in situations they are going to have to be successful in against more important teams.

Yes there is film on stuff we did. But I think now that the lid has been lifted on this offense it's going to be really hard to stop us. The thing I liked is that tight coverage is tight coverage and our WRs caught a few in tight coverage. The Austin williams catch across the middle for 8 years comes to mind. That's a drop so much under Mullen and Gonzo. Not last night. Few others that I liked as well.

Good luck to defenses stopping us. We have a lot of weapons, they are just young. And we are going to be very multiple on offense. We will be tough to stop.

I thought the WRs were fantastic last night.

Guidry, Williams, Osiris, etc are difference makers compared to last year. Everyone should be excited about what they showed last night.

Overall, I saw a team that has the pieces & parts but the meal just isn't totally cooked yet or the parts glued together properly. So long as they are by the Florida game, I'm good.

Dawgology
09-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Key doesn't have the arm strength that Fitz has which is why the balls kept being underthrown. You can tell the WR's were used to catching from Fitz and they were having to adjust their routes a bit and coming back for Key's passes. It's something Key can develop and hit the gym on. He will be great for us next year and the year after. I do believe though that we will have a three way QB race in the next off season.

I seen it dawg
09-02-2018, 12:02 PM
And yes you can tell the WRs are better coached easily.