PDA

View Full Version : Mad scientist, Mike Leach, HC of the Washington State Cougars......

Pit Bull
09-02-2018, 01:45 AM
...had a secret and kept it up until game time vs the Wyoming Cowboys. He unveiled an unknown QB graduate transfer from East Carolina. The secret......Gardner Minshew of Brandon, MS. The result.....319 yds and 3 TDs in a blowout of Wyoming in Laramie, WY. Nice to see a Miss. high school product do well in his final year of eligibility. Leach persuaded Minshew to come out to Pullman, WA by asking him..."how would you like to lead the nation in passing by coming to play for me?" While not the highest passing stat of the weekend, maybe after the season is in the books, Minshew will be up there with the best....who knows! Congrats Gardner from one Mississippian to another!

BuckyIsAB****
09-02-2018, 02:03 AM
...had a secret and kept it up until game time vs the Wyoming Cowboys. He unveiled an unknown QB graduate transfer from East Carolina. The secret......Gardner Minshew of Brandon, MS. The result.....319 yds and 3 TDs in a blowout of Wyoming in Laramie, WY. Nice to see a Miss. high school product do well in his final year of eligibility. Leach persuaded Minshew to come out to Pullman, WA by asking him..."how would you like to lead the nation in passing by coming to play for me?" While not the highest passing stat of the weekend, maybe after the season is in the books, Minshew will be up there with the best....who knows! Congrats Gardner from one Mississippian to another!

It wasnt a secret. He was going to go to Bama to get into coaching after the season with Saban but decided to go to WSU to have a chance to start.

I do agree though he is special and could play his way into the league if all goes well. I know him personally hes a great guy one of the smartest most competitive guys I know.

TUSK
09-02-2018, 02:09 AM
It wasnt a secret. He was going to go to Bama to get into coaching after the season with Saban but decided to go to WSU to have a chance to start.

I do agree though he is special and could play his way into the league if all goes well. I know him personally hes a great guy one of the smartest most competitive guys I know.

yup.... I played HS ball vs his ole man (Flint?).... that dude was a large individual....

BuckyIsAB****
09-02-2018, 02:11 AM
yup.... I played HS ball vs his ole man (Flint?).... that dude was a large individual....

Hahaha he still is

msstate7
09-02-2018, 07:22 AM
Tenn may regret passing on leach

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2018, 08:47 AM

Pruitt was such a ridiculous hire.

He brings nothing in the form of offense. They won't score while he's there.

For the life of me, I can't understand why ADs look to hire recruiters over smart football coaches.

msstate7
09-02-2018, 08:54 AM
Pruitt was such a ridiculous hire.

He brings nothing in the form of offense. They won't score while he's there.

For the life of me, I can't understand why ADs look to hire recruiters over smart football coaches.

I'm trying not to judge a guy this early in his coaching career, but 14 vs West Virginia (WV gave up 31.5 last year) should be concerning for tenn fans. Even more concerning should be only gaining 301 total yards (WV gave up 445.5 yds per game last season)

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2018, 08:58 AM
I'm trying not to judge a guy this early in his coaching career, but 14 vs West Virginia (WV gave up 31.5 last year) should be concerning for tenn fans. Even more concerning should be only gaining 301 total yards (WV gave up 445.5 yds per game last season)

It was a dipshit hire that basically accomplished nothing.

Their fans should be irate that they didn't hire an offensive guy like Leach, Moorhead, Heupel, etc

Dawg61
09-02-2018, 09:03 AM
Vol navy woulda been amazing with the Pirate leading them. There woulda been 20,000 pirates dressed up at Neyland stadium and the Goonies pirate ship out on the Tennessee river right out front of the stadium. All of college football is regretting Tennessee not hiring Leach from a pure entertainment stance alone.

msstate7
09-02-2018, 09:06 AM
Vol navy woulda been amazing with the Pirate leading them. There woulda been 20,000 pirates dressed up at Neyland stadium and the Goonies pirate ship out on the Tennessee river right out front of the stadium. All of college football is regretting Tennessee not hiring Leach from a pure entertainment stance alone.

While entertaining, shotgun's suggestion of heupel would've been the best solution. I think he's gonna be a star

Pit Bull
09-02-2018, 02:34 PM

Dude....it was a secret of who was going to start the game vs Wyoming......please try reading posts first before responding.

Turfdawg67
09-02-2018, 02:42 PM

Texas might regret paying $5M / year for your boy Herman too.

msstate7
09-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Texas might regret paying $5M / year for your boy Herman too.

Yep. Herman isn't my boy, but I did (and still do) expect him to win there.

Pit Bull
09-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Yep. Herman isn't my boy, but I did (and still do) expect him to win there.

Never know how hires are going to pan out really......with hundreds of coaching positions being filled at one time or another, statistically there has to be a bunch of losers. Simple zero sum game.....somebody has to lose in order for others to win. The key to me is do we have the AD that is skilled in finding the nice diamonds in the rough everyone else overlooks.....or do we find them quicker and secure them before our competitors do (like Howland) especially. Stricklin, at the time got the job done well on that one as many other good jobs came open soon after that Ben would have entertained. Of course Ben was a proven commodity, so we had to act fast and silently. I have many Memphis friends who were kinda pissed we got Howland and not them....they got Tubby.

StarkVegasSteve
09-02-2018, 05:19 PM

Still salty we were all robbed of the opportunity of seeing Leach pull the team into the Vol Navy on a pirate ship. Mullen would've s*** himself watching Leach make that kind of entrance for the UF/UT game.

Bully13
09-02-2018, 09:04 PM
Could someone refresh my memory on Gardner Minshew's H.S. Career, recruitment and what not?

And why have we not seen any Mike Leach interviews of late? has he settled down? Always liked listening to him. He has a law degree. I think he'd make a helluva Judge. Has made me laugh my ass off several times in the past.

BuckyIsAB****
09-02-2018, 10:43 PM
Dude....it was a secret of who was going to start the game vs Wyoming......please try reading posts first before responding.

No...no it wasnt. Maybe a secret to you dude but those of us who know more than you about it knew Minshew was gonna start the game.

BuckyIsAB****
09-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Could someone refresh my memory on Gardner Minshew's H.S. Career, recruitment and what not?

And why have we not seen any Mike Leach interviews of late? has he settled down? Always liked listening to him. He has a law degree. I think he'd make a helluva Judge. Has made me laugh my ass off several times in the past.

Minshew had to come in and start as a 9th grader for Brandon after the older guy got hurt came in 3rd quarter vs Petal and threw for 300 plus and 3 TDs. Was the starter from that day on and by his SR year was the best QB in the state but got no offers from State, OM, or USM (I promise you they regret that) went to NWCC and won the national championship then went on to ECU.

Started for them but left bc ECU was a butch jones level shitshow and now hes at WSU and gonna light up the Pac 12 and possibly play his way into the NFL

Bully13
09-02-2018, 10:55 PM
Minshew had to come in and start as a 9th grader for Brandon after the older guy got hurt came in 3rd quarter vs Petal and threw for 300 plus and 3 TDs. Was the starter from that day on and by his SR year was the best QB in the state but got no offers from State, OM, or USM (I promise you they regret that) went to NWCC and won the national championship then went on to ECU.

Started for them but left bc ECU was a butch jones level shitshow and now hes at WSU and gonna light up the Pac 12 and possibly play his way into the NFL

If he does well, and maybe the NFL, He'll be added to the list of Jerry Rice, Walter Peyton & Steve McNair.

BuckyIsAB****
09-02-2018, 11:09 PM
If he does well, and maybe the NFL, He'll be added to the list of Jerry Rice, Walter Peyton & Steve McNair.

I would slow down on comparing him to them right now but yeah I hope he does great. Hes a good guy

Pit Bull
09-03-2018, 07:19 AM
No...no it wasnt. Maybe a secret to you dude but those of us who know more than you about it knew Minshew was gonna start the game.

I read a Washington state sports article where Leach himself said it was a secret as to who would be the actual starter for the game versus Wyoming......right up to game time. Call Mike Leach and tell him he was wrong. Please. You may have suspected it might have been Minshew, but it would have been a good guess......let's try some facts...……..

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/article217469305.html

http://scores.nbcsports.com/cfb/recap.asp?g=201809010096&e=2018_01_0096&home=96&vis=66&final=true

Cooterpoot
09-03-2018, 07:36 AM
I read last week he was getting the start. It wasn?t a secret. I was looking at betting on the game and read up before hand. Said he was starting and they liked his experience.
WSU is one of my go to teams. I won a load of money last year with them.