PDA

View Full Version : Meanwhile, at the baseball scrimmage,

messageboardsuperhero
10-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Dakota Hudson is throwing darts. He's struck out 5 of the 6 batters he's faced and is showing a mid-90s fastball.

Hudson probably has the best stuff of any pitcher Cohen has signed to date.

CadaverDawg
10-13-2013, 12:48 PM
#TeamDak

Will James
10-13-2013, 12:49 PM
5 of the 8 batters faced. 5 of 6 outs recorded.

Agreed he looks great

Coach34
10-13-2013, 01:00 PM
we need to recruit more Dakota's to play for our teams

messageboardsuperhero
10-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Jake Vickerson is making a case for an outfield spot. He's got great speed, gets on base, and has a little bit of pop.

AlSwearengen
10-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Dakota Hudson is throwing darts. He's struck out 5 of the 6 batters he's faced and is showing a mid-90s fastball.

Hudson probably has the best stuff of any pitcher Cohen has signed to date.

I listened to an interview with Cohen on a radio show that I won't mention (the only show of their's that I've ever listened to) and he mentioned Hudson and the pitcher from alabama whose name escapes me right now as freshman pitchers that have stood out. He said that Hudson touched 97 on the gun. My question is, how the hell did this kid with his size and velocity not get selected in the first couple of rounds of the draft?

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Reid Humphreys will play third base this year. He already looks better than Detz at 3B and he's swinging the bat well, especially considering this is his first intersquad weekend

messageboardsuperhero
10-13-2013, 03:20 PM
I listened to an interview with Cohen on a radio show that I won't mention (the only show of their's that I've ever listened to) and he mentioned Hudson and the pitcher from alabama whose name escapes me right now as freshman pitchers that have stood out. He said that Hudson touched 97 on the gun. My question is, how the hell did this kid with his size and velocity not get selected in the first couple of rounds of the draft?

Signability was an issue. I think Hudson really wanted to come to college, plus he's still pretty raw. He should benefit from three years at State.

messageboardsuperhero
10-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Reid Humphreys will play third base this year. He already looks better than Detz at 3B and he's swinging the bat well, especially considering this is his first intersquad weekend

Detz's bat will probably be in the lineup one way or the other. He gets on base better than anyone else on the team.

Humphreys has looked great defensively, and his swing is as advertised. There are just so many really good options for us this year all over the field, I can't see us having a whole lot of trouble scoring runs.

Todd4State
10-13-2013, 03:32 PM

Cohen is talking about Austin Sexton when he is referring to the kid from Alabama.

I'm telling you people that the MLB draft culture has changed. And this is a good example. 15 years ago, Dakota would be at some spring training complex in Florida or Arizona. MLB could throw as much money as they wanted at you in the past- even if you were drafted in the 50th round. Around the late 90's, teams started to realize that this was wasteful- and believe me teams don't want to waste millions on some player that has a less than 10% chance of even playing an inning in MLB. They also realized that most of their American players that were actually making it were from college. The really talented guys in college were moving very quickly through the minors. So, what started to happen is MLB started to pay college players more- and then high school players started to realize what was going on and started to go to college.

You can come play in the SEC and make it to MLB in about a year- and make more money. Plus, if you are a baseball player- you can get three years at least of your education and possibly even your degree if you push it a little bit all the while potentially making it to MLB more quickly than if you had signed out of high school.

Just this past season we saw Michael Roth, Mike Zunino, Paco Rodriguez, and I'll even throw in Michael Wacha as guys that played at SEC schools and made it up to MLB very quickly. The SEC reputation helps us out immensely with baseball recruiting- and it's why we can take a chance on guys like Dakota Hudson and Touki Touissant.

And as far as Mississippi kids- you add in the fact that we have a great tradition that people want to be a part of, and it really helps with getting elite in state talent in here. See Reid Humphries.

People talk about Ron Polk and the camp- but Polk not realizing how recruiting is changing and passing over guys like Stephen Head because they were a draftable player killed us as much as anything. Especially since everyone else was getting these elite players.

Todd4State
10-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Signability was an issue. I think Hudson really wanted to come to college, plus he's still pretty raw. He should benefit from three years at State.

If it were me, I would use him like Ole Miss used Drew Pomeranz his freshman year. Bring him Dakota out of the bullpen in the 5-7th inning or so and just let him mow people down. I love power arms!

It wouldn't shock me at all if we start him or use him as one of the piggybacks that Butch likes to do- which is fine with me. Based on the info we've been gathering, I guess our rotation will look something like this:

Friday- Woodruff/Hudson
Saturday- Bracewell/Lindgren
Sunday- CT/Fitts

Paul Young will be in there if his elbow is OK.

Todd4State
10-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Detz's bat will probably be in the lineup one way or the other. He gets on base better than anyone else on the team.

Humphreys has looked great defensively, and his swing is as advertised. There are just so many really good options for us this year all over the field, I can't see us having a whole lot of trouble scoring runs.

Detz's bat will definitely be in the lineup. Back to CT, and if that info is true- I suspect we will see Detz DH on Friday and then play third on Saturday and Sunday when CT DH's. And then we will play Reid at third on Friday and move him to right field on Saturday and Sunday.

And I guess the outfield will look something maybe like:

Friday- RF- Demarcus/Armstrong/Vickerson CF- CT LF- Robson/Demarcus/Armstrong

Saturday- RF- Reid CF- Robson LF- Demarcus/Vickerson/Armstrong

Sunday- Same as Saturday.

Honestly, I would much prefer CT just play CF and then keep Reid at third and Detz at DH. CT has had some injury issues throughout his career though- and that may be why they want to do what they are doing.

messageboardsuperhero
10-13-2013, 03:48 PM
If it were me, I would use him like Ole Miss used Drew Pomeranz his freshman year. Bring him Dakota out of the bullpen in the 5-7th inning or so and just let him mow people down. I love power arms!

It wouldn't shock me at all if we start him or use him as one of the piggybacks that Butch likes to do- which is fine with me. Based on the info we've been gathering, I guess our rotation will look something like this:

Friday- Woodruff/Hudson
Saturday- Bracewell/Lindgren
Sunday- CT/Fitts

Paul Young will be in there if his elbow is OK.

I may be in the minority, but I just don't see CT as a pitcher for more than one inning. Maybe I'm missing something, but he's just never been overly impressive to me, especially against right handed hitters. CT might just need more work with Butch. It's got to be tough splitting time like that, trying to be a pitcher and a position player, especially if the coaches are trying to make him into a starter.

And yes, I'd love to see Humphreys work a little bit in the outfield this fall.

CadaverDawg
10-13-2013, 03:48 PM
You guys are going to force me to go grab a set of shears. ThickWool.

What about Robson? Haven't heard his named mentioned over the last few days. Is he doing anything?

messageboardsuperhero
10-13-2013, 03:53 PM
You guys are going to force me to go grab a set of shears. ThickWool.

What about Robson? Haven't heard his named mentioned over the last few days. Is he doing anything?

I think he might be one of the guys with the flu.

Will James
10-13-2013, 03:55 PM
I may be in the minority, but I just don't see CT as a pitcher for more than one inning. Maybe I'm missing something, but he's just never been overly impressive to me

Bingo my thoughts exactly.

MsStateBaseball
10-13-2013, 03:55 PM
I told you guys our offense will be better and more talented. Armstrong, Henderson, Robson who has the flu and Bradford is fast, one heck of an outfield. Humphreys, Garner, Heck just finds a way to get on base, lots of options. Just wait to May 1st when young guys get better and it gets warmer and rolls are clearly defined. I would think ranked in top 10 the whole year. This recruiting class is just the boost we needed. And Paul Young has yet to pitch and he throws like Hudson.

CadaverDawg
10-13-2013, 03:56 PM
I think he might be one of the guys with the flu.

Gotcha.

What about depth at 1st base. Do we have anybody that can provide us a solid first base defensively if Wes needs a break or gets dinged up?

messageboardsuperhero
10-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Gotcha.

What about depth at 1st base. Do we have anybody that can provide us a solid first base defensively if Wes needs a break or gets dinged up?

Dylan Ingram and Brent Rooker have both looked good for freshmen, although I like Rooker a lot in the OF.

Of course, we can always move Detz over there too. He was pretty solid defensively last year while Rea was out.

Todd4State
10-13-2013, 04:01 PM
I may be in the minority, but I just don't see CT as a pitcher for more than one inning. Maybe I'm missing something, but he's just never been overly impressive to me, especially against right handed hitters. CT might just need more work with Butch. It's got to be tough splitting time like that, trying to be a pitcher and a position player, especially if the coaches are trying to make him into a starter.

I feel the same way about CT pitching as you and Will. And his outing yesterday didn't do anything to change that feeling either. Butch has always liked him as a pitcher though. If we are going to pitch him, IMO we need to use him like we did last year with the CT shuffle against LH batters.

CadaverDawg
10-13-2013, 04:03 PM

Agree, I would be happy if I never saw CT take the mound again. Especially with the crop of pitchers we just brought in. There is no need, plus, as you said he just hasn't been overly impressive.

Todd4State
10-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Dylan Ingram and Brent Rooker have both looked good for freshmen, although I like Rooker a lot in the OF.

Of course, we can always move Detz over there too. He was pretty solid defensively last year while Rea was out.

I agree with this as well. I think Rooker ends up in the outfield eventually because he can run even though he is 6'5". Another possibility is Trent Simpson who is on the football team. I'm not sure if he will play baseball or not- we'll know for sure in the spring. To me, Simpson is our best first base prospect that is a freshman.

CadaverDawg
10-13-2013, 04:04 PM

Completely forgot about Detz. That would be the obvious choice, especially if Humphries is as advertised at 3B.

Todd4State
10-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Completely forgot about Detz. That would be the obvious choice, especially if Humphries is as advertised at 3B.

I'm not sure he would be the obvious choice. Rooker and Ingram are both pretty good.

MsStateBaseball
10-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Other thoughts: Britton has turned his play up a notch, those 4 MIF Heck, Pirtle and Hann is a really good group. Detz and Humphreys at third, Rea at first, I don't worry about small injuries like I used to. This team is pretty talented at each spot just need to keep going in the November signing period.

Todd4State
10-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Also- we have talked some in the offseason about replacing Renfroe's power. I can see Rea hitting 15 home runs if he is healthy- but I think the guy that can replace Rea's power from last year could be Daniel Garner. And that is only going to take pressure off of Reid Humphries, which should in theory lead to better production out of him.

Todd4State
10-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Other thoughts: Britton has turned his play up a notch, those 4 MIF Heck, Pirtle and Hann is a really good group. Detz and Humphreys at third, Rea at first, I don't worry about small injuries like I used to. This team is pretty talented at each spot just need to keep going in the November signing period.

There are so many benefits to having competition. What happens in recruiting is you get people that aren't afraid to compete. And then once they get to campus, they push each other to perform at a high level. You also end up with a bunch of people that want to beat the other teams ass- and isn't afraid to knock down LSU's hitters just because they are LSU.

MsStateBaseball
10-13-2013, 04:17 PM
I bet they pitch CT every weekend 3 plus innings to see what he can do. Treat him more like a pitcher this fall and see what happens.

messageboardsuperhero
10-13-2013, 04:17 PM
I told you guys our offense will be better and more talented. Armstrong, Henderson, Robson who has the flu and Bradford is fast, one heck of an outfield. Humphreys, Garner, Heck just finds a way to get on base, lots of options. Just wait to May 1st when young guys get better and it gets warmer and rolls are clearly defined. I would think ranked in top 10 the whole year. This recruiting class is just the boost we needed. And Paul Young has yet to pitch and he throws like Hudson.

I love this about Cohen. He realizes the postseason games in June are more important in college baseball than the games in March, so he messes with the lineup for about half of SEC play until he absolutely knows we have guys in their best roles for the stretch run. That's why we tend to struggle some offensively early, but always improve by the end of the year. I don't think it's any coincidence that we have always played our best baseball at the end of the year under Cohen; it's by design.

messageboardsuperhero
10-13-2013, 04:22 PM

The middle of our infield is really deep. That's another reason why I wouldn't mind seeing Humphreys in the outfield. We could DH Detz, put Hann at third (he's good there too), and still have Britton, Heck, and Pirtle in the middle. Again, it seems like we have so many great options and flexibility all over the field.

Will James
10-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Yeah CT got hit pretty hard today.

3 IP... 5 H (3 doubles, 2 singles)... one walk.... one K.

58% of balls in play were line drives.

messageboardsuperhero
10-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Also- we have talked some in the offseason about replacing Renfroe's power. I can see Rea hitting 15 home runs if he is healthy- but I think the guy that can replace Rea's power from last year could be Daniel Garner. And that is only going to take pressure off of Reid Humphries, which should in theory lead to better production out of him.

After seeing Garner this weekend, if he plays regularly, there's no reason why he shouldn't hit 5-10 bombs this year.

Humphreys has a lot of power, but it's mostly gap power for right now. That could change by spring though.

Also, has anyone else noticed how well Armstrong hit the ball this weekend? He looks much more confident now than he did last year.

CadaverDawg
10-13-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm so fired up for MSU baseball. Especially after the frustration this football team is causing. I am typically all about football, but as of right now, I'm ready for our 5-7'season to complete and bring on the baseball. Hell I'm even looking forward to basketball...at least relentless effort is actually used in Ray and Cohen's programs.

messageboardsuperhero
10-13-2013, 04:27 PM
There are so many benefits to having competition. What happens in recruiting is you get people that aren't afraid to compete. And then once they get to campus, they push each other to perform at a high level. You also end up with a bunch of people that want to beat the other teams ass- and isn't afraid to knock down LSU's hitters just because they are LSU.

I loved that shit. Knock LSU in the teeth, and they don't know how to respond. Cohen's teams never back down from anyone.

CadaverDawg
10-13-2013, 04:30 PM
I love that shit. Knock LSU in the teeth and they don't know how to respond. Cohen's teams never back down from anyone.

It's THIS^^ mentality that I wish our football team would adopt. Even if you end up losing, at least show the big boys you aren't afraid to punch their asses in the mouth. Now we are a big boy again in baseball, and we have that attitude to partly thank for it. Love Cohen and our team's mindset

Todd4State
10-13-2013, 04:40 PM
I loved that shit. Knock LSU in the teeth, and they don't know how to respond. Cohen's teams never back down from anyone.

Since we made that run in Omaha this year, I can't say that was the highlight of my year for the baseball team- but it's definitely top five. The funny part about it was watching our team laugh at LSU while they were acting like a bunch of girls. At that point- I knew our team was going to be OK the rest of the year.

Todd4State
10-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Yeah CT got hit pretty hard today.

3 IP... 5 H (3 doubles, 2 singles)... one walk.... one K.

58% of balls in play were line drives.

I wasn't there, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 42% were LH hitters. He's a left on left guy as a pitcher.

Will James
10-13-2013, 04:50 PM
I wasn't there, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 42% were LH hitters. He's a left on left guy as a pitcher.

Jake Vickerson roped one in the gap for a double. Vickerson also drew a 4 pitch walk on CT

Detz had a nice hit off of him.

The lefty's were 2-3 with a walk on CT, with a Detz ground ball to score a run being the only LHB out.

Will James
10-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Its early in the fall and I do not know what kind of player Jake Vickerson is/will be, but he is making a case as someone earlier said for a spot and the leadoff spot.

So far in 10 plate appearances he has drawn 4 walks to go along with 2 hits, one being a double off of a LH Bradford. Apparently he has some wheels too.

He leads all hitters so far this fall with 4.50 pitches/plate appearance. Team average is 3.56. Sounds like a leadoff candidate to me

***Again very small sample size off of mostly scrubs we've been pitching***

Todd4State
10-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Jake Vickerson roped one in the gap for a double. Vickerson also drew a 4 pitch walk on CT

Detz had a nice hit off of him.

The lefty's were 2-3 with a walk on CT, with a Detz ground ball to score a run being the only LHB out.

Even worse than I thought. If he doesn't get a lot better soon on the mound, we should just scrap it and just let him play CF. If he is still having injury issues, we can just let him DH some and play CF.

Todd4State
10-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Its early in the fall and I do not know what kind of player Jake Vickerson is/will be, but he is making a case as someone earlier said for a spot and the leadoff spot.

So far in 10 plate appearances he has drawn 4 walks to go along with 2 hits, one being a double off of a LH Bradford. Apparently he has some wheels too.

He leads all hitters so far this fall with 4.50 pitches/plate appearance. Team average is 3.56. Sounds like a leadoff candidate to me

***Again very small sample size off of mostly scrubs we've been pitching***

We won't figure it all out until pre-SEC play. But if he keeps that up, he and Detz will be a nice duo at the top of the order. If I remember correctly, Vickerson's BB/K ratio in JUCO was ridiculous.

messageboardsuperhero
10-13-2013, 05:24 PM
We won't figure it all out until pre-SEC play. But if he keeps that up, he and Detz will be a nice duo at the top of the order. If I remember correctly, Vickerson's BB/K ratio in JUCO was ridiculous.

Vickerson and Detz both have great plate discipline. Between those two, Robson, and Bradford, we've got some good candidates for the 1-2 spots in the order.

CadaverDawg
10-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Vickerson and Detz both have great plate discipline. Between those two, Robson, and Bradford, we've got some good candidates for the 1-2 spots in the order.

Bradford lost all of his plate discipline last year it seemed. Unless a lot has changed with him, I don't want him at the top of our lineup.

Will James
10-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Bradford lost all of his plate discipline last year it seemed. Unless a lot has changed with him, I don't want him at the top of our lineup.

Agreed.

messageboardsuperhero
10-13-2013, 05:48 PM

This is true. CT was pretty good at taking balls and fouling off good strikes as a freshman, but he seems to have regressed in that regard since then. Maybe he was pressing too much because of his injuries? Who knows.

Will James
10-13-2013, 06:38 PM
CT has regressed at the plate each year on campus. His 2013 BABIP was 43 points higher than 2012 yet his wOBA was still less than 2012.

BB%

2011 - 9.6%
2012 - 8.2%
2013 - 7.7%

K%

2011 - 7.8%
2012 - 11.6%
2013 - 13.0%

wOBA

2011 - .346
2012 - .310
2013 - .306

AlSwearengen
10-13-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm glad I don't have to decide who gets playing time. I kind of want the canadians to do well and get plenty of pt and be happy in hopes that it helps us with team canada. It would be nice to cherry pick from them every now and then.

I seen it dawg
10-13-2013, 08:41 PM

I've already made plans for going to that series in April. I will finally be able to wear my maroon down there and be able to talk shit to the corndogs when they start that stupid ass tiger bait. This baseball season is gonna be fun.

gravedigger
10-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Bring him Dakota out of the bullpen in the 5-7th inning or so and just let him mow people down.

I think we established this as a great strategy last year. Use talented underclassmen early as middle relief to set up a closer. It develops them as starters and games aren't lost if a starter isn't effective from jumpstreet.

I loved our pitching from last year because I'd never really seen this type of strategy used the way we did.

Will James
10-14-2013, 02:47 AM
I loved our pitching from last year because I'd never really seen this type of strategy used the way we did.

Me too and I hope we expand it. Save our best arms for when they are better needed, and still have them throw the most innings.

Fri Cox starts - Lindgren comes in as long middle
Sat Ross starts - Woody comes in as long middle
Sun Fitts starts - Hudson comes in as long middle

Holder can be summoned at any point when rallies need killing. Relief Ace.
Shelly can be our 9th inning guy
CT can match lefties
Gentry can match righties
Bracewell can be emergency long middle (odds are in a 3 game series we will need this once)

Paul Young and scrubs can handle midweek. Young/Hudson/Fitts/Cox all competing for who isn't stuck with midweek scrub duty.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-14-2013, 08:04 AM
I'm so fired up for MSU baseball. Especially after the frustration this football team is causing. I am typically all about football, but as of right now, I'm ready for our 5-7'season to complete and bring on the baseball. Hell I'm even looking forward to basketball...at least relentless effort is actually used in Ray and Cohen's programs.
I've noticed that I actually have an itch for basketball as well. I miss us being good.

messageboardsuperhero
10-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Me too and I hope we expand it. Save our best arms for when they are better needed, and still have them throw the most innings.

Fri Cox starts - Lindgren comes in as long middle
Sat Ross starts - Woody comes in as long middle
Sun Fitts starts - Hudson comes in as long middle

Holder can be summoned at any point when rallies need killing. Relief Ace.
Shelly can be our 9th inning guy
CT can match lefties
Gentry can match righties
Bracewell can be emergency long middle (odds are in a 3 game series we will need this once)

Paul Young and scrubs can handle midweek. Young/Hudson/Fitts/Cox all competing for who isn't stuck with midweek scrub duty.

This would definitely give us an advantage in that other teams wouldn't know how to prepare for it very well. I'd be interested in seeing us try this for a full season. As long as Butch and our pitchers continue to prevent other teams from scoring runs, I don't really care how they do it.

smootness
10-14-2013, 08:36 AM
I like the strategy, though I'd rather have Ross Mitchell be the guy who comes in for long relief. He's just been so good at it, I don't want to mess with a good thing.