PDA

View Full Version : NorCalDawg asks, if Byrne were still AD...

NorCalDawg
10-13-2013, 11:08 AM
...do you think we would be seeing the same results on the field?

I'm of the opinion it would be much better if he were still here. I just get the feeling Strick can't stand up to Dan. To me, Byrne was the kind of guy that wouldn't put up with this kind of shit. What say you, EliteDawgs?

msstate7
10-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Well he put up with a 49- and 56-point loss last season.

Coach34
10-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Mullen is coaching the best he can. I can assure you Strick threatening him wouldnt make things any better. Not sure where this myth comes from every year.

Coaches are very ego driven and never want to look bad- Mullen is doing what he can to make sure we are playing as well as we can

NorCalDawg
10-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Mullen is coaching the best he can. I can assure you Strick threatening him wouldnt make things any better. Not sure where this myth comes from every year.

Coaches are very ego driven and never want to look bad- Mullen is doing what he can to make sure we are playing as well as we can

I agree, I don't think he wants to look bad, either. But, that ego is also the reason they will not admit they are wrong and won't make necessary changes, too. I think you have to have someone strong enough to mange those egos. I just don't feel Strick is able to do that like Byrne.

Coach34
10-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Strick is in no way, shape, or form as good as Byrne. However, we went 8-4 last year- you dont make demands of a coach after 8 wins at Miss State. And Mullen still made changes he thought were necessary.

An AD cant reasonably force changes at State until we have a losing season. We havent dont that since 2009. We are currently one of only 7 SEC teams that have a 3 season bowl streak. The "making a bowl game is easy" crowd still has no answer for that one.

NorCalDawg
10-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Well he put up with a 49- and 56-point loss last season.

True, but I'm thinking more about the attitude in general. The lack of relentless effort, not correcting mistakes, making adjustments, etc...