PDA

View Full Version : Potential coaching candidates

msstate7
10-13-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm not for firing Mullen, but most are. Here's a game to watch Tuesday night -- ULL (hud) vs WKU (petrino).

DownwardDawg
10-13-2013, 11:34 AM
I will certainly be watching that game. I'm not real interested in who wins as much as seeing how the coaching looks. Preparation, adjustments, focus, play calling, etc...

chainedup_Dawg
10-13-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm not for firing Mullen yet either. Although I'm not too far from it. I think we've got to look at the OC from Clemson though, at least try if it happens

msstate7
10-13-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm not for firing Mullen yet either. Although I'm not too far from it. I think we've got to look at the OC from Clemson though, at least try if it happens

If we do fire Mullen, I'm all for this move. I don't think he would take the job, but I'd try

CadaverDawg
10-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Msstate7, I think you are mistaking people pissed off about the way we played, for people wanting to fire Mullen. Are their some that want to fire him, yes....but realistically you have to give him the rest of the year to see if he can turn it around and make a bowl game IMO. And regardless of what any of us want...Mullen WILL be our coach next year. No doubt about it.

cheewgumm
10-13-2013, 11:55 AM
What about baylors coach?

RC3
10-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Msstate7, I think you are mistaking people pissed off about the way we played, for people wanting to fire Mullen. Are their some that want to fire him, yes....but realistically you have to give him the rest of the year to see if he can turn it around and make a bowl game IMO. And regardless of what any of us want...Mullen WILL be our coach next year. No doubt about it.

As he should be. People have short memories

msstate7
10-13-2013, 11:57 AM

Think he has texas written all over him unless saban chances rise above 0.0

Dawgfan77
10-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Briles is a TX guy makes about 2MM a year about to get a shiny new stadium much easier path to the playoffs at Baylor not to mention Waco> Starkville, and I am a huge fan of Starkville.

Fader21
10-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Waco over Starkville? I mean they did have David keresh (sp?). But for your argument we do have Bracky Bretf

DownwardDawg
10-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Waco over Starkville? I mean they did have David keresh (sp?). But for your argument we do have Bracky Bretf

This is a tough one. Strong argument.

Bothrops
10-13-2013, 06:54 PM
I've never heard anyone speak well of Waco, then again, I've never been through there.

preachermatt83
10-13-2013, 09:46 PM
you guys are in a fantasy world with both briles and morris.. if you want legitimate candidates ... petrino, hud, mike leach(he would rather be in the south), Mario cristobal... that's about it. Im all in for Petrino... and yes, I am in the camp of Fire mullen.. he can't win against good teams. His playcalling is terrible, and he is on the verge of a 4/5 win season.

preachermatt83
10-15-2013, 07:41 PM
I would take a look at will hall of west Alabama as well... he will be an fbs coach before long somewhere

civildawg
10-15-2013, 08:06 PM
I want Mullen gone also. He doesn't adjust in game at all. I would take a long look at mike leach if it were me though

Biguglyjoe
10-15-2013, 08:08 PM
I've heard many voice their frustrations, but I haven't heard anyone say that Mullen should be fired.

Dannyripms
10-15-2013, 08:11 PM
@preachermatt is that the son of bobby hall? If so I'd like to see, personally I always thought bobby would be coaching in college ranks by now, he's a great defensive coach IMO also not too shabby on offensive side

preachermatt83
10-15-2013, 08:24 PM
I've heard many voice their frustrations, but I haven't heard anyone say that Mullen should be fired.

you haven't spent much time listening then.. I'd fire him without a doubt if we lose to om again and if we miss a bowl.

preachermatt83
10-15-2013, 08:25 PM
@preachermatt is that the son of bobby hall? If so I'd like to see, personally I always thought bobby would be coaching in college ranks by now, he's a great defensive coach IMO also not too shabby on offensive side

yes he is bobby's son. If memory serves Bobby has spent some time in the college ranks but I don' t remember exactly where.

missouridawg
10-15-2013, 08:27 PM

Art Briles ain't leaving Baylor for MSU. Not gonna happen.

Dannyripms
10-15-2013, 08:29 PM
I always wandered where he went, he was a pretty good qb in high school. I'm from ripley and when bobby was at amory we played in same division. Back when amory didn't lose a game in like 3 years. They had several d1 players on those teams.

TUSK
10-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Critobol nor Petrino will happen. Yall need to ride Mullen until LSU wakes up and fires Lester.

msstate7
10-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Critobol nor Petrino will happen. Yall need to ride Mullen until LSU wakes up and fires Lester.

Lester with the addition of cam Cameron is looking good this year. You getting nervous?

Jack Lambert
10-15-2013, 08:46 PM

Why would he leave Baylor for Miss State. He has it all there. Weak conference, Money and a brand new football stadium being built. It does not matter who is the coach at Miss State, they are not going win the SEC in the current state of affairs in the West.

msstate7
10-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Why would he leave Baylor for Miss State. He has it all there. Weak conference, Money and a brand new football stadium being built. It does not matter who is the coach at Miss State, they are not going win the SEC in the current state of affairs in the West.

He's leaving, but it'll be for texas. QKing called this awhile back and I'm seeing it too

msstate7
10-15-2013, 08:50 PM
If we do end up looking for a coach, I'd call kyle whittingham (Utah). Don't know if he'd be interested or not, but I'd check.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2013, 08:55 PM

Why in the hail would LSU fire Les Miles? Because he struggles beating Saban. That crazy bastard has turned out to be one of the best coaches in college football. I used to think he was terrible, but I kept watching and paid attention. Now with Cam Cameron he's got something strong going.

TopDog58
10-15-2013, 08:58 PM
What's Bobby Wallace up to these days? He was the MSU head coach man crush throughout most of the mid 90s til we decided to hang on to Jackie and he killed his career at Temple.

Pollodawg
10-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Bobby Petrino.

Pollodawg
10-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Or Mike Leach. Give me somebody who can win at a team that isn't a traditional powerhouse with players that weren't highly recruited.

civildawg
10-15-2013, 09:29 PM
This is exactly why I would like mike leach. He could have a special season every once in awhile like he did at Texas tech

msstate7
10-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Or Mike Leach. Give me somebody who can win at a team that isn't a traditional powerhouse with players that weren't highly recruited.

Do you feel we have a qb on campus or committed that could run leach's system? I'm not sure. I'm certainly not saying that would stop me, but we'd need to find a qb ASAP.

Now wr's are a different story. We would have some weapons in that type system esp when you add in jesse Jackson and graham

Biguglyjoe
10-15-2013, 09:34 PM
you haven't spent much time listening then.. I'd fire him without a doubt if we lose to om again and if we miss a bowl.

I suppose I listen as much as the next guy. The talk of firing Mullen after this season hasn't come up at our alumni tailgate or among fellow Bulldogs that I see on a daily basis, at least not yet. As the season plays out and there isn't improvement, some may very well develop the same opinion as you though. Understand that I'm not saying it isn't warranted.

Op4isabitch
10-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Haha, Mike Leach. I like the idea, not sure the blue hairs would co-operate though:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XEbEmsGVrco

SallyStansbury
10-16-2013, 05:10 AM

Croom sucked on offense. Croom's stubborn ass wouldn't fire McCorvey or make changes. Croom was fired.
Mullen struggles on offense. Mullen's stubborn ass isn't going to fire himself or admit that his risk averse, pussified-strategy isn't working well. Mullen may have to be fired.

Don't waste my time speaking of Les Koenning. Mullen has to look in the mirror and fix Mullen, or we have to fire his ass.

I wonder what Dan thinks when he evaluates our play as a team and specifically his play calling in the second half against BG, OSU, and AU: Does he say, "Damn Dan, you ****ed that one up getting all conservative. Loosen up a little next time, go for it, and put your foot on they throat and don't let up!" Or does he think, "Damn, we were so close but we lack depth, players wore out, failed to execute, one play here or there would have changed it for us......"

1. Hevesy sucks and is a liability (suspect he is a decent coach, but would Mullen die on that hill?.....maybe)
2. Dak is going to take a Relf-style beating as much as he goes to the QB read in the second half, not good.

We need a ying for Mullen's yang. I recall all the screaming that Mullen would do directed at Hudspeth back in 2010. Maybe Hudspeth was saying, "**** that predictable, running up the middle garbage, we need to run more counters and screen passes." Then Mullen starts screaming at him, but our offense looks better overall then than it does now. I think we need to hire some person that Mullen would scream at (translated open up our offense when it needs to be opened up). Will Mullen make this hire himself.........or better yet, would an O-coordinator worth a shit actually come here to be Mullen's whipping boy, doubtful which makes me skeptical of this situation ending well.

HIGHDOG
10-16-2013, 06:04 AM
i only watched hud/petrino for a short while...i didn't see anything noteworthy outa hud's team...to you hud- lovers, be careful what you wish for...jmho...tom

BulldogBear
10-16-2013, 06:39 AM
Personally not ready to fire Mullen yet. But if we must in a year or two, would Cam Cameron be ready and/or desirable?

DownwardDawg
10-16-2013, 06:54 AM
i only watched hud/petrino for a short while...i didn't see anything noteworthy outa hud's team...to you hud- lovers, be careful what you wish for...jmho...tom

Then you didn't watch much. He did something last night we haven't seen in years. He made halftime adjustments and went for the kill in the second half when Petrino was down and he put the game away. All while playing on the road. Dak and Staley would look fantastic in Hud's offense.

HIGHDOG
10-16-2013, 07:21 AM
downward - you're correct...i only watched 'til 'bout 8:00 ct...obviously i'm somewhat "off-base" - which my close acquaintances have been saying for years...tom

msstate7
10-16-2013, 07:23 AM
downward - you're correct...i only watched 'til 'bout 8:00 ct...obviously i'm somewhat "off-base" - which my close acquaintances have been saying for years...tom

In the 2nd half hud out coached petrino big time. I was very surprised and impressed

maroonmania
10-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Personally not ready to fire Mullen yet. But if we must in a year or two, would Cam Cameron be ready and/or desirable?

I personally say that anyone who thinks Mullen would be fired after this season is nuts. Not saying whether we would be better off if we did just saying its not going to happen after 3 straight bowl seasons with 2 of those having 8+ wins. Only even slight possibility would be if we don't win another game from here on out and get trounced in the Egg Bowl. Next year is THE year to truly judge Mullen in my book. We finally will have a QB with experience that runs the system Mullen wants and we essentially only lose ONE true impact player after this season (Gabe Jackson) and have a ton of returning young talent to go with a much more favorable schedule. In fact, I would say if Mullen can't get us to the 9 win plateau next year I don't know when, if ever, he will be able to do it.

I will say that our leash may not be as long as it used to be given the 100 million dollars we have dumped into the program in upgrades Mullen wanted over the past couple of years. The fans have sold out the stadium for a number of years now and donated to get Mullen most of what he's asked for. Its time for Mullen himself to pony up with a high quality team.

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 10:43 AM
I personally say that anyone who thinks Mullen would be fired after this season is nuts. Not saying whether we would be better off if we did just saying its not going to happen after 3 straight bowl seasons with 2 of those having 8+ wins. Only even slight possibility would be if we don't win another game from here on out and get trounced in the Egg Bowl. Next year is THE year to truly judge Mullen in my book. We finally will have a QB with experience that runs the system Mullen wants and we essentially only lose ONE true impact player after this season (Gabe Jackson) and have a ton of returning young talent to go with a much more favorable schedule. In fact, I would say if Mullen can't get us to the 9 win plateau next year I don't know when, if ever, he will be able to do it.

I will say that our leash may not be as long as it used to be given the 100 million dollars we have dumped into the program in upgrades Mullen wanted over the past couple of years. The fans have sold out the stadium for a number of years now and donated to get Mullen most of what he's asked for. Its time for Mullen himself to pony up with a high quality team.

I tend to agree with you, but if he only wins 4-5 games this year, would we be just delaying the inevitable by giving him that schedule next year? Winning 6-7 games next year will be easy for anybody, so it will do nothing but give a false sense of how good Mullen is.

trob115
10-16-2013, 10:49 AM
IF we only win 4 games this year, I will be on the fire Mullen train. If we cannot beat a terrible Arkansas team, who USM hung with, we need to re-evaluate some things. If we don't beat ole miss, we maybe looking for a new coach. I for one have not seen any second half adjustments in the last 2 years under mullen.

maroonmania
10-16-2013, 12:18 PM
I tend to agree with you, but if he only wins 4-5 games this year, would we be just delaying the inevitable by giving him that schedule next year? Winning 6-7 games next year will be easy for anybody, so it will do nothing but give a false sense of how good Mullen is.

IF we win say 4 this year and THEN win say even 7 next year with a MUCH easier schedule, then I think we would be much more justified to make a change than after one subpar year this year. I mean we made fun of OM for canning Cutcliffe after one bad year and we would be doing the same. And personally I would actually like to see Mullen at least ONE season have a veteran competent dual threat guy to run the offense the entire year to see what happens and we should get that next year. I know we had Relf but all of us knew that Relf came with certain limitations. Its amazing that Relf ever improved himself to the level he did in the passing game.

civildawg
10-16-2013, 12:37 PM
I hope that everybody saying next year is mullen's judgment year really means it. What happens when we win 6 games next year and win a bowl game? People will be saying dan needs more time. No he freaking doesn't next year we better win 8 or 9 or Dan needs to pack his bags

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 01:56 PM
I hope that everybody saying next year is mullen's judgment year really means it. What happens when we win 6 games next year and win a bowl game? People will be saying dan needs more time. No he freaking doesn't next year we better win 8 or 9 or Dan needs to pack his bags

Exactly. This is what scares me about giving him next year.

maroonmania
10-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Exactly. This is what scares me about giving him next year.

There is really nothing to be scared of, I mean Mullen has won 8 games twice in the last four years no matter what happens this year. Its not like giving a consistent "3-win a year Croom" an extra year. The ONLY reason, I REPEAT, the ONLY reason to be worried about trying to make a move this year would be that our administration is convinced that Hud is the man we've GOT to have for the long term and we are gravely concerned we will miss our window with him if we don't nab him before some other big program picks him up. Other than that I don't see any downside to giving Mullen another year. We may be VERY pleasantly surprised when we are running the true Mullen offense full time with a competent dual threat QB. I mean if anyone on this board thinks we are consistently going to win in the range of 9 to 10 games a year with a different coach (unless the SEC West goes through a down cycle of some sort) then I'm afraid that's probably not realistic. We didn't do that even in Jackie's hayday when the SEC was not nearly as strong as it is now.

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 04:54 PM
There is really nothing to be scared of, I mean Mullen has won 8 games twice in the last four years no matter what happens this year. Its not like giving a consistent "3-win a year Croom" an extra year. The ONLY reason, I REPEAT, the ONLY reason to be worried about trying to make a move this year would be that our administration is convinced that Hud is the man we've GOT to have for the long term and we are gravely concerned we will miss our window with him if we don't nab him before some other big program picks him up. Other than that I don't see any downside to giving Mullen another year. We may be VERY pleasantly surprised when we are running the true Mullen offense full time with a competent dual threat QB. I mean if anyone on this board thinks we are consistently going to win in the range of 9 to 10 games a year with a different coach (unless the SEC West goes through a down cycle of some sort) then I'm afraid that's probably not realistic. We didn't do that even in Jackie's hayday when the SEC was not nearly as strong as it is now.

maroon, I'm sorry but I simply disagree. Do you see the lack of improvement and effort over the last 10-12 games? We've shown glimpses of better offensive play, but the coaching decisions have been just as bad. Recruiting has gotten slightly better, but nothing great, and in the meantime Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and others are improving. We can't just sit back and say that Mullen has won 8 games before, no need to worry. Mullen has beaten nobody that is really that good in the grand scheme of things. You have to look back to a 14-12 loss against USC to even find the last time we were truly competitive against a good team. And that was a loss.

So yes, there is something to be afraid of. It's that Mullen can cruise to an easy 6-7 wins next year without truly making us better or our team living up to its' potential, and then we would have to keep him although deep down the writing would already be on the wall.

Just look back at our schedule and results over the last 10-12 games. Think about those games and how we looked. And tell me you aren't even slightly worried about the direction we're headed right now. We can't let wins over weak teams and Only weak teams, cover our eyes to what is really going on