PDA

View Full Version : Stewart....

dawgoneyall
08-31-2018, 06:25 AM
Guess I missed it but what is his status?

Hambone
08-31-2018, 06:56 AM
Signing with the Braves

msstate7
08-31-2018, 07:01 AM
Signing with the Braves

No, he isn't.

Bully13
08-31-2018, 07:03 AM
I read here he's with us.

smootness
08-31-2018, 07:18 AM
He is not coming to State, he is going JUCO.

WeWonItAll(Most)
08-31-2018, 07:43 AM
Signing with the Braves

No, he isn't.

I read here he's with us.

He is not coming to State, he is going JUCO.

The whole spectrum of answers was knocked out in 4 posts. Good job guys

msu15
08-31-2018, 07:49 AM

Hahahahaha

Dawgbite
08-31-2018, 07:53 AM

I read on the Spirit that he is flipping to Ole Miss. Now you have the entire spectrum!

WSOPdawg
08-31-2018, 07:58 AM

Lolol, that's awesome. Rep given.

msstate7
08-31-2018, 08:34 AM

I have no idea what he's gonna do. I just know he's not signing with the braves. Even though the braves are the most awesome franchise in mlb, mlb isn't changing the signing deadline for the braves

HoopsDawg
08-31-2018, 08:38 AM
I have no idea what he's gonna do. I just know he's not signing with the braves. Even though the braves are the most awesome franchise in mlb, mlb isn't changing the signing deadline for the braves

So if the Braves aren't signing him and he's not on campus, then he is either sitting out the year to prepare for next year's draft or playing 1 year of Juco. I hate we couldn't work something out with him.

Johnson85
08-31-2018, 08:40 AM

Why did that get started? Was it just Lemonis saying he was still looking at his options and MLB???

Was there ever any chatter on braves message boards that there was a loophole they could exploit?

dawgoneyall
08-31-2018, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys....I think.

msstate7
08-31-2018, 08:55 AM
Why did that get started? Was it just Lemonis saying he was still looking at his options and MLB???

Was there ever any chatter on braves message boards that there was a loophole they could exploit?

No idea.

Not one braves' source that I'm aware of even mentioned it, and I'm pretty much scouting daily for braves' info

dantheman4248
08-31-2018, 08:59 AM
There is no Carter Stewart currently enrolled in MSU, so he is NOT here taking classes this fall.

Johnson85
08-31-2018, 09:14 AM
There is no Carter Stewart currently enrolled in MSU, so he is NOT here taking classes this fall.

nm

Political Hack
08-31-2018, 10:46 AM
Best thread this month. I can't quit laughing.

Hambone
08-31-2018, 11:06 AM
He will sign with the Braves. He is sitting out long enough for the current contract offer to expire and then when it’s legally able he will sign with them. The reason you aren’t hearing nothing is legally they (the Braves) cannot discuss it.

msstate7
08-31-2018, 11:18 AM
He will sign with the Braves. He is sitting out long enough for the current contract offer to expire and then when it?s legally able he will sign with them. The reason you aren?t hearing nothing is legally they (the Braves) cannot discuss it.

Wait... how would this be permissible? If he sits out this period of time you suggested, is he a FA? What rule governs what he can sign for?

Hambone
08-31-2018, 11:22 AM
This is the loophole that hasn’t been talked about. He didn’t sign a contract legally binding him to anyone. Yes, theoretically another organization could offer him a contract. But he’ll be with the Braves

msstate7
08-31-2018, 11:29 AM
This is the loophole that hasn?t been talked about. He didn?t sign a contract legally binding him to anyone. Yes, theoretically another organization could offer him a contract. But he?ll be with the Braves
If this were the case, any player could do this to get with the organization of their choice. I'm not buying it. For instance...

Yankees: hey konnor pilkington, don't sign with the White Sox. Just sit out awhile, and we'll give you what they offered or more

Also, would the braves retain the pick for not signing carter? If carter signed with the Phillies, would the signing go towards the Phillies' pool? Just don't see anyway this is legit

Johnson85
08-31-2018, 12:10 PM
This is the loophole that hasn?t been talked about. He didn?t sign a contract legally binding him to anyone. Yes, theoretically another organization could offer him a contract. But he?ll be with the Braves

I can't believe that's true. Carter may legally be able to sign with anybody, but just no way other MLB teams can offer him under the existing rules and nobody has tried this before.

I am ignorant on MLB rules so certainly coudl be wrong; I just can't believe they would work like that and nobody know about it.

msstate7
08-31-2018, 12:22 PM
I asked about this on the braves' board, and got this response from a guy that knows all the rules inside out. He is a jerk though, so disregard smart comment from him...

"That would defeat the entire purpose of the draft and the draft pool penalties, now wouldn't it? The Braves lost all rights to Stewart when they failed to sign him. Your fellow alum is a moron.

If Stewart wants to play MLB baseball, he must go through the next draft. He can either go to college and be eligible for the draft in 3 years, or he can go to a junior college and be eligible for the next draft. The Braves could certainly draft him in the next draft he enters if they still like him.

There are things he could also possibly do in foreign leagues that would subject him to international signing rules. He could theoretically go to Korea or Japan, play enough seasons that he is considered a "pro" by the international rules, and come back to MLB by signing whatever contract a team is willing to give him. There may also be a loophole where he plays internationally and then comes to MLB as an international player subject to international signing bonus pools (rules state he must not be enrolled in a US/Canada/PR high school for a calendar year to be eligible).

Most likely Stewart signs with a juco, shows he's healthy for a year, and then enters the 2019 draft. That seems a lot smarter than risking 3 years pitching in college. He's already seen as having elite stuff, so he doesn't need to develop to be seen as a top prospect, he just needs to prove he's healthy.

Not agreeing to sign rarely works out well for top draft picks. I would have advised Stewart to take the millions the Braves offered him, and allow their medical/training/coaching staff to help him get healthy in top notch facilities. The Braves would be heavily invested in getting him right, his college would have been paid for if he flamed out, and he would be pretty well set for the rest of his life.

Now he's going to go play for some joker juco coach with subpar facilities and staff, who isn't invested in his health beyond the upcoming juco season. All for what? To maybe get another $1M-$2M? Poor choices made by his advisers."

Dawg61
08-31-2018, 12:33 PM
He should of just signed for the ripoff amount of $2mill by the cheapo Braves. Now he's ****ed. Good job Atlanta.

msstate7
08-31-2018, 12:41 PM
He should of just signed for the ripoff amount of $2mill by the cheapo Braves. Now he's ****ed. Good job Atlanta.

The braves obviously felt the wrist was enough of a risk to not approach slot.

HoopsCoach21
08-31-2018, 12:52 PM
I'm honestly amazed at the lack of real information out there about what his true intentions are. I've seen lots of speculation about a ton of guys in different sports but his is a first round draft pick and no one has had any solid info on him for months. Just strange all around.

BoomBoom
08-31-2018, 12:54 PM

Perfect example of loss aversion, a very irrational decision making process that is all too common. To us, the choice is obvious, as we never had $7M dancing in our heads. To him, he "lost" $5M when the Braves would only offer $2M.

Johnson85
08-31-2018, 03:13 PM
Perfect example of loss aversion, a very irrational decision making process that is all too common. To us, the choice is obvious, as we never had $7M dancing in our heads. To him, he "lost" $5M when the Braves would only offer $2M.

I don't think that's loss aversion. If he were loss averse, he would have taken the $2M because the idea of not taking it and ending up with less is more painful that the potential pleasure from sitting out for a year and gaining a couple of million dollars.

Arguably, it's an example of sunk cost fallacy. He's arguably still focused on the $3M he "lost" and rather accepting that it's gone and focusing on whether the $2M is a better deal than sitting out and trying again in a year, he refused to sign because it would have forced him to "recognize" the $3M loss.

Regardless, I think he made a bad decision. If his injury is bad, the $2M is a good deal for him. If his injury isn't bad but he still flames out, it's a good deal for him. If his injury isn't bad and he turns into a star, he will get to 17 Atlanta back by basically refusing to resign with them for less than market, plus $3M, plus a interest, plus a bitch tax of whatever amount if he feels like it.

Him sitting out is a big risk for him and it doesn't really hurt the braves since they get the pick back next year.

Dawg61
08-31-2018, 05:04 PM

How's that loss aversion working out for him now?

Dawg61
08-31-2018, 05:05 PM
The braves obviously felt the wrist was enough of a risk to not approach slot.

The Braves liked him so much they decided to wreck his life. Stay classy Atlanta.

msstate7
08-31-2018, 05:35 PM
The Braves liked him so much they decided to wreck his life. Stay classy Atlanta.

We should all be so lucky to live us a "wrecked" life

BoomBoom
08-31-2018, 08:09 PM
I don't think that's loss aversion. If he were loss averse, he would have taken the $2M because the idea of not taking it and ending up with less is more painful that the potential pleasure from sitting out for a year and gaining a couple of million dollars.

Arguably, it's an example of sunk cost fallacy. He's arguably still focused on the $3M he "lost" and rather accepting that it's gone and focusing on whether the $2M is a better deal than sitting out and trying again in a year, he refused to sign because it would have forced him to "recognize" the $3M loss.

Regardless, I think he made a bad decision. If his injury is bad, the $2M is a good deal for him. If his injury isn't bad but he still flames out, it's a good deal for him. If his injury isn't bad and he turns into a star, he will get to 17 Atlanta back by basically refusing to resign with them for less than market, plus $3M, plus a interest, plus a bitch tax of whatever amount if he feels like it.

Him sitting out is a big risk for him and it doesn't really hurt the braves since they get the pick back next year.

I think it's expectation based loss aversion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion

Though I think we are saying the same thing, that he is over focusing on the $5M he thinks he is worth, thus if he signed he would "lose" $3M. He obviously didn't have a good advisor near him to tell him it's unfortunate, but not signing would make the situation worse. It's in his agent's favor to gamble on a bigger payday down the line, but not his.

BoomBoom
08-31-2018, 08:10 PM

He was the one that decided not to give a full physical before the draft. He picked his agents and advisors too.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-31-2018, 10:55 PM
We can end these endless threads if one of you brave internet warriors just pick of the phone and text him with - "Hey, sumbitch, wheres ya goin' play da ball th's yar? Askin' fur a bud. Tanks bro, peace"

Todd4State
08-31-2018, 11:35 PM
I think the best chance at making the most money would have been to go to college and show that he is healthy after three years. It worked for Brady Singer.

I bet he ends up getting about the same 2 million offer or less now. But we'll see. Probably a better chance that he regresses than develops in JUCO baseball.

Bully13
08-31-2018, 11:46 PM
I jumped the gun due to commerce saying he was optimistic about our chances. I guess it's looking like juco now so he can try again 1 yr down the road as opposed to waiting 2.