PDA

View Full Version : Qb runs

Homedawg
08-30-2018, 08:14 PM
hearing Moorhead speak- he said in previous stops his goal was to have 10-12 qb runs a game. W Fitz and kt that number was more like 15. He'd be dumb otherwise. Don't take away Fitz' greatest strength.

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2018, 08:17 PM
Completely agree. Fitz needs to be running the ball.

Doggie_Style
08-30-2018, 08:44 PM
Completely agree. Fitz needs to be running the ball.

Two things say otherwise:

1) Fitz needs to show he?s an accurate passer

2) No matter what people say his ankle ain?t 100%

Bass Chaser
08-30-2018, 09:09 PM
I think you have to look at it as designed QB runs. Then you have RPOs that could increase carries. You want Williams and Hill carrying the load. You're only going to have so many run plays.

Homedawg
08-30-2018, 09:52 PM
I think you have to look at it as designed QB runs. Then you have RPOs that could increase carries. You want Williams and Hill carrying the load. You're only going to have so many run plays.
Lots of Fitz' runs under Mullen were reads.

Johnson85
08-31-2018, 08:39 AM
hearing Moorhead speak- he said in previous stops his goal was to have 10-12 qb runs a game. W Fitz and kt that number was more like 15. He'd be dumb otherwise. Don't take away Fitz' greatest strength.

Seems weird to have a goal of QB runs if we're doing a lot of RPO, unless he means he doesn't want our QB carrying more than 10-12 times so he doesn't get beat up.

If we run a bunch of RPO and teams make a decision that they're going to stop Fitz first (which seems like a pretty reasonable strategy), seems like if we're really doing reads we should be fine with 0 carries as long as the other options are making the teams pay for keying on Fitz.

BB30
08-31-2018, 08:52 AM
Seems weird to have a goal of QB runs if we're doing a lot of RPO, unless he means he doesn't want our QB carrying more than 10-12 times so he doesn't get beat up.

If we run a bunch of RPO and teams make a decision that they're going to stop Fitz first (which seems like a pretty reasonable strategy), seems like if we're really doing reads we should be fine with 0 carries as long as the other options are making the teams pay for keying on Fitz.

That tis be the key. If our other guys do their jobs we should be able to tear it up. Everyone is going to key on Fitz hard. That should leave some guys with some opportunities to make big plays.

msudawglb
08-31-2018, 09:04 AM

Moorhead isn't messing around. When interviewed he is not hesitant at all to say that he will be making the calls on offense. He is an offensive minded coach. For him to say that his "goal" is to have 10-12 QB runs a game means exactly that....it's his "goal". I bet his main goal is to put at least 40 points on the board every game. He's going to adapt to whatever scores the most points per game. We no longer have a coach that is going to run the QB on every 3rd and 3 and can not adapt to what the other team is giving us. Moorhead's goal is to run the QB only 10-12 times to protect the QB. It's the safest route. But if he thinks running the QB will result in a big play on offense due to tendencies by the defense, then I bet he runs the QB. He will adapt to whatever will score the most points each game due to how the other team is playing.

ScoobaDawg
08-31-2018, 10:02 AM
Two things say otherwise:

1) Fitz needs to show he?s an accurate passer

2) No matter what people say his ankle ain?t 100%

Are you his Doctor??? I'm pretty sure you have no damn clue.

Doggie_Style
08-31-2018, 10:32 AM
Are you his Doctor??? I'm pretty sure you have no damn clue.

dumb-azz he said himself that he still has stiffness...with almost all injuries involving connective tissue there are always lingering issues, he had an injury to a major complicated joint....it will never be 100%

Pit Bull
08-31-2018, 11:26 AM
dumb-azz he said himself that he still has stiffness...with almost all injuries involving connective tissue there are always lingering issues, he had an injury to a major complicated joint....it will never be 100%

Better be careful Doggie Style.....I alluded some time ago that the staff was going to ramp up Fitz's running over the first 1-3 games as he gains confidence stopping and cutting on it quickly. Many here don't want to hear that. They will crucify you if you differ from their coaching opinions. I'm not totally sold his being held out of the first game has everything to do with missing a team meeting this past spring.....it's very possible his ankle is still settling in from all the surgery and he's not quite ready. Coaches don't want to come out and publicly state anything about injury status of players.....so they might have used the missed meeting as an opportunity to hold him out and make sure that ankle is solid. If there was any doubt about his ankle, you sure wouldn't want KState or future early opponents to know about it.

Technetium
08-31-2018, 11:36 AM
We no longer have a coach that is going to run the QB on every 3rd and 3 and can not adapt to what the other team is giving us.

I wonder how many posters are going to come out bashing Moorhead the first time he *doesn't* run Fitz on 3rd and short and it fails. They'll be screaming about how "Fitz is damn near guaranteed to get 3 yards!" and other complaints no matter if the play call was appropriate for what the other team is giving us.

DawgFromOxford
08-31-2018, 02:22 PM
Coaches don't want to come out and publicly state anything about injury status of players.....so they might have used the missed meeting as an opportunity to hold him out and make sure that ankle is solid. If there was any doubt about his ankle, you sure wouldn't want KState or future early opponents to know about it.

Yeah I'm going to go with that's not it. If the coaches needed an excuse to hold him out of game one they wouldn't have made it a character issue. They would've made up something like he came down with a stomach virus.

Todd4State
08-31-2018, 11:44 PM
Yeah I'm going to go with that's not it. If the coaches needed an excuse to hold him out of game one they wouldn't have made it a character issue. They would've made up something like he came down with a stomach virus.

Exactly.

Todd4State
08-31-2018, 11:45 PM

You might be surprised at what modern medicine and elite athletic training can do.

Liverpooldawg
09-01-2018, 12:11 AM

You don't suspend someone in order to hold them out as a precaution. That's just stupid.

mstatefan91
09-01-2018, 12:47 AM

These types of takes look incredibly dumb until the actual offensive plan is seen and evaluated.