PDA

View Full Version : Any Player Updates on OL?

Johnson85
08-30-2018, 12:18 PM
Guessing not much info out there this time of year, but since there's not much we haven't run down, any news on how the 2 and 3 deep OL have performed?

Champion: I've heard both ways on him, from we're in trouble if we are ever relying on them to play, to Champion is going to be a good starter for us next year on teh interior
Phillips: Hopefully we will just be relying on him to backup Eiland and reese, but coaches feel good about him if he has to play?
Parker: ?
Dolla Bill?
Suggs?

Any of the younter guys impressed in practice and made coaches confident they will be able to rely on them when the time comes?

Tbonewannabe
08-30-2018, 01:06 PM
Guessing not much info out there this time of year, but since there's not much we haven't run down, any news on how the 2 and 3 deep OL have performed?

Champion: I've heard both ways on him, from we're in trouble if we are ever relying on them to play, to Champion is going to be a good starter for us next year on teh interior
Phillips: Hopefully we will just be relying on him to backup Eiland and reese, but coaches feel good about him if he has to play?
Parker: ?
Dolla Bill?
Suggs?

Any of the younter guys impressed in practice and made coaches confident they will be able to rely on them when the time comes?

Dolla Bill is a big guy. Is he in shape enough for SEC football yet? I know he is supposed to be legit but most guys out of high school on the OL need a year to get their body right.

MetEdDawg
08-30-2018, 01:57 PM
Dolla Bill is a big guy. Is he in shape enough for SEC football yet? I know he is supposed to be legit but most guys out of high school on the OL need a year to get their body right.

Mildly off topic, but sort of related. Why is this the case? Why do OL have the most difficulty adjusting with their body? Big time high school programs have the ability to get their top OL prepared. Most schools don't.

I'm convinced OL recruiting is so hard because the big time star guys are the ones who are already in the right frame to compete right away. There are so many that pan out that weren't very highly rated, but I think that has to do completely with college development. It's hard to project where a kid who plays OL at 250 pounds is gonna be in 4 years when he grows 2-3 inches and 50+ pounds.

Johnson85
08-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Mildly off topic, but sort of related. Why is this the case? Why do OL have the most difficulty adjusting with their body? Big time high school programs have the ability to get their top OL prepared. Most schools don't.

I'm convinced OL recruiting is so hard because the big time star guys are the ones who are already in the right frame to compete right away. There are so many that pan out that weren't very highly rated, but I think that has to do completely with college development. It's hard to project where a kid who plays OL at 250 pounds is gonna be in 4 years when he grows 2-3 inches and 50+ pounds.

A couple of uneducated guesses.

OL have to be so 17ing big now, it's just normal that a lot of your potential players are still growing late in high school and haven't yet started filling out. The ones that have filled out have usually done it by being fat, not by packing on muscle. So you are just going to have a disproportionate number of potential OL compared to other positions that were still having major growth spurts in Jr or even Sr year and their body hasn't had a chance to catch up coordinationa nd strength wise.

Speed is more important on the defensive line, so you have two guys that are looking like they will be in that 6'+ 300 lb+ size, the ones that are growing with muscle end up as interior defensive linemen.
The ones that are too skinny and/or fat end up on teh OL, so a disproportionate number of your potential OL that could be ready as Freshmen end up on the DL.